Sign in to follow this  
Notts Canary

Grant. too critical of players?

Cracking start and long may it continue! Slightly worried about the public dressing down that Grant is giving to his players. Nice to see some honesty but he may lose their respect and trust if this continues.  Any thoughts?

That was my first thought. However, on thinking about it, at least everyone knows where they stand now. One or two players may get hacked off at being criticised, but until now nothing he has said has been incorrect, so they should swallow the criticism and get on with it. If he was unfair or overly harsh then perhaps it would be more of a problem, but whilst he remains spot-on then it''s in our best interests.

Disagree Completely I''m afraid

For too many games now the players knew they could take their foot of the gas as it would be Worthy who would get the presssure and the chop....now Granty has come in it is the players who have to prove themselves as they are under pressure. They did sit back and Grant was spot on. Its refreshing to hear and will keep them on their toes. The costa del Norwich environment is over and long may it continue. If they can''t take a bit of a rallying call as grown men then they want a slap anyway. Otherwise they would have swanned into training giving it the ''aren''t we great etc'' get complacent and then would have got beat in the next game. 

He is spot on because he is making relevant points openly and fairly, and he is the boss.

There are no attempts to pull the wool over the supporters eyes he is telling it as we see it. However, he is also promising to improve the players and if they don''t want to improve then something is wrong.

Grant has a plan A-Z. He knows what is needed and is clearly determined to get it.

Carry on Saint Peter!

I have to disagree, its good to see the players being told the truth and not being treated like spoilt children, he gave them 10 out of 10 first half and 2 out of 10 for the second,and to me that was spot on, some of them went awol for 35 minutes after half time and that needs to be sorted, a promising start for Mr Grant and i dont think he will take any cr*p from players, its his way or the highway and i for one like his style. First half we outplayed out muscled and out fought Cardiff all over the pitch and that is how Grant played and obviously wants Norwich to play, long may it continue.

Just what the club needed, some "kick-ass" atitude.Far too many players have been living in the comfort zone for far too long.

carry on Peter we''ve got the new manager in let him do it his way judge him January time when he has had longer to stamp his authority not after 2 games

Peter Grant wants to win every game.. A draw or a defeat int good enough... and to make sure we come away with a win in every game he has to state the truth...

id sooner he was honest, rather than bull**it the fans ala Someone else who used ot be our manager. We can all see it wasnt good enough and Grant Echoing our statements proves he feels the same, yes we won, but there were times we rode our luck and he is addressing this and acknowledging so to the fans.

jas :)

Interesting point Notts Canary but I don''t agree he will lose their respect. Worthy was loyal to individual players and they let him down. In the end the players hid behind a failing manager knowing he would take all the stick. Peter Grant is only loyal to the team and not individual players. If the players don''t ''buy in'' to this team ethic then I expect to see changes, sooner rather than later!

I don''t blame you for this crossing your mind Notts. I read PG''s comments and raised an eyebrow at what he''s said. Afterall, it''s been years since the players have been commented on so frankly and honestly in the press by someone at the club.

I''ve also tried to be wary of what other managers have said when they''ve first come into a job, including Worthy in his first few matches, as similar things have a way of creeping in from different people - ''new manager'' cliches.

Despite these points though, I think PG is backing up what has already been said of him by the board (you can imagine him in his interview now can''t you?) and is starting to back up what he''s said of himself so far too. He spoke of Saturday''s game like someone giving a fair assessment of the game, without unfair criticism, putting the responsibility on the players when they''re on the pitch - as long as PG does his work on the touchline and in the dressing room, this is exactly how it should be.

They get paid enough to now show whether they want to sulk about how they feel they''re being treated, or decide that if they do what they''re told for the entire game, then they will achieve as much success as they and we are capable of.

Reminds me of when NW took over and gave Lee Marshall a public dressing down for a dreadful backpass. Anyone remember that?

Always good to impose your authority early.

[quote user="Hayden"]

Disagree Completely I''m afraid

For too many games now the players knew they could take their foot of the gas as it would be Worthy who would get the presssure and the chop....now Granty has come in it is the players who have to prove themselves as they are under pressure. They did sit back and Grant was spot on. Its refreshing to hear and will keep them on their toes. The costa del Norwich environment is over and long may it continue. If they can''t take a bit of a rallying call as grown men then they want a slap anyway. Otherwise they would have swanned into training giving it the ''aren''t we great etc'' get complacent and then would have got beat in the next game. 

[/quote]

Spot on, i totally agree. I''m liking Grant more and more every day! Worthy would never have came out and citiszed them that much, With hucks being the professional he is, hearing comments like that will only make him better.

Yep....I think it''s about time some of them got a good shaking up. There are some players who react badly to being slammed........but the gentle approach just hasn''t worked in recent times. Falsely praising mediocrity as part of the old ''spin'' routine hopefully is gone and as has been said.....they get good money for what they do and they should be made to earn it.

I''m quite happy right now.........which is rather worrying.

Like most, there was an initial level of concern when I read these comments, but then judging by the reports of the match, it sounds like he was spot on in his criticism, especially of McVeigh, who appears to have blown his chance to prove Worthy wrong!

i think its a very refreshing change, to hear grant say what he thinks. isnt it the same as what the fans think.

worthy used to say the same thing week in week out.

if the player cant take it tough, they will have to learn to always give there best under grant, as there is no hiding place.

Grant, just set high standards for the players, which is good.

As long has his remarks are constructivewhen plays play badly or are lazy, and he praises players when they play well then thats fine.

The only critism on Saturday I would have is one fan on the Jarold stand at the front tell other supporter (s)[:(] not to critise the lineman when he made two or three bad offside decisions, it part of the game, let others make constructive remarks.

I think to be honest it is something the players are either going to not mind or hate - I must admit when I read the headlines on the Pinkun today I thought to myself ''nothing like slagging off the players is there'' so if I am thinking it then certainly they must be as well.  People talk about this Adie Boothroyd but I personally think he is too arrogant and too much of a disciplinarian - I just hope that Grant does not go the full 360 degree turn from what Worthington was like cos the last thing we need is the players not to want to play for him. 

Some well justified responses and if the players do take it like professionals then it will hopefully spur them on. The positive outcome is that everybody (fans and players) is left in no doubt about what the manager expects. He has already shown he can make tough decisions and if this policy works fair play!  

The thing about manangement is that you have to adapt your man management style for the individual. While I generally agree with giving an honest assesment of the game I hope he can handle the more sensitive players in an appropriate way.

When Hux came out in the second half he seemed to be in a bit of a sulk. Was it because of an injury or was it because of something that was said to him at half-time?

Too many of you are wrapped up in what a wonderful and refreshing change Grant''s style is. It''s true that it is, and it''s also true that it was required. Regardless, the true test will be in whether the Board supports him by providing funding to acquire more and even better talent when he deems it necessary. Without that, comments from Peter Grant will gradually become jaded in time as his "refreshing comments" will be at odds with having to rotate and play underperforming players within a small squad. The second half against Cardiff was just a curtain call. The honeymoon is on but the fundamental problems still exist. 

I understand what you''re saying; but Grant is right! There''s no point doing a Worthy and saying that in the 2nd half we passed the ball well, stuck to the task, etc, etc. For too long now players at this club have believed that they can play second best and get away with it. Grant has told it like it is, laid down the law, and I for one hope he continues to do so.

I have to disagree with the orginal post, I always felt things were a bit too cushy for the players before and that worthy was too soft on them. I don''t believe Grant said anything that wasn''t a true representation of the game and I think its refreshing to hear an honest and plain answer unlike the monotonous answer worthy repeated every week.

He was spot on with his comments. I was at the game and in the first half we were brilliant, we could beat anyone playing like that. The second half told a different story, still better than most games, but good enough, no. It was refreshing to hear honest comments. Professional players should respond positively to his criticisms'' and reproduce the first half performance. They have shown they can do it so no excuses. OTBC

[quote user="Being Jan Kristiansen..."]

The thing about manangement is that you have to adapt your man management style for the individual. While I generally agree with giving an honest assesment of the game I hope he can handle the more sensitive players in an appropriate way.

[/quote]

This is a good point. From listening to what the players are saying, and also how Gallacher reacted to being dropped, it seems he''s balancing speaking in public and talking to them personally about what he expects.

If PG continually keeps to the same idea of what he expects from players, both personally and in public, then none of the playing staff would have any reason to complain... 

I also see his comments about Paul Gallagher, which redress the balance a bit. I was struck by how positively Gallagher went about the warm-up with Ashdown, and it''s good to see that PG clocked that. This is psychology at work, not from a textbook but psychology based on careful observation. I really hope the players respond.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Too many of you are wrapped up in what a wonderful and refreshing change Grant''s style is. It''s true that it is, and it''s also true that it was required. Regardless, the true test will be in whether the Board supports him by providing funding to acquire more and even better talent when he deems it necessary. Without that, comments from Peter Grant will gradually become jaded in time as his "refreshing comments" will be at odds with having to rotate and play underperforming players within a small squad. The second half against Cardiff was just a curtain call. The honeymoon is on but the fundamental problems still exist. [/quote]

This is a spot-on post.

I admit that I am cheered by this refreshing approach to things....and it''s nice to have a honeymoon period.....but in order to back the new manager up, the Board must now find the finance to move the team on.  We all know the squad isn''t good enough....but will Delia and Co. see it that way?  Will they expect the new manager to just keep chugging away until his enthusiasm wanes and mediocrity becomes the norm.....and until we all start blaming the beleaguered manager once again for the lack of ambition?

I really hope not for everyones sake.

I think he had every right to comment about that player and please remember, it was only his second game in charge, and I am quite sure he did not know all his player''s strength and weakness.

Let''s see Hucks, last week Granty said he was his important part for promotion, yesterday you heard he was doing not good enough and get him off! Hucks was coming off, did you hear much from Nigel Worthington era? That means even the best player in the club, if he did something wrong, he will still get criticised! It was a good warning to other players about they had to perform well week in week out to "earn their place" in the starting lines-up. Personal coaching was brilliant.

I''ve always felt in the past that it is counter productive to '' name and shame '' individual players but now I''m not so sure.

Peter Grant has been like a breath of fresh air around Carrow Road and I fully agree with his comments concerning Paul McVeigh,and, to a large extent, those concerning other players. I can''t imagine that NW would have analysed the performances as succinctly as PG and his observations regarding the first and second half performances was spot on.

I particularly liked the way PG gave credit to the backroom staff in persuading him to select Doherty rather than Fleming for the Birmingham game. He was happy enough to admit that they were right and to publicly praise them for it.

It''s early days but I quite like him......