1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

Ridiculous-the answer to the first one isn’t Pulp, it’s Shed Seven 😳

Haha. The Dennis Srbeny of Britpop

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Gerrard or Lampard? Scholes

If only England managers had realised that instead of falling for the golden generation media hype. We could've actually won something...

15 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

He's still going strong.  1 goal in 27 this season!

Hwang better than both SVH and Idah. Career stats back this up. Hwang was never given the respect he deserved here, given the morality police were out in full force.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

We started the season with Sargent, Barnes, Idah and Hwang. Now look at us.

That's a little disingenuous, we signed Hwang after Sargent got injured, rather to come in as a 4th striking option, then let him go when Sargent got fit.

Of course, it would have made sense in hindsight to have just kept Hwang for the season if Idah wanted out, think we can presume that Idah asked for his move after we'd already sent Hwang back, in which case cheers Adam that was really helpful mate. 

Posted (edited)

Idah scored 7 goals for us and Hwang 2, I think? So it was definitely Idah who was intended to be our back up striker and was playing pretty well I thought. His style of play fits Wagner's much better than the other two. 

As we've all said, bit of a weird one to let Idah go but who is gonna stand in the way of a young irish lad who has interest from Celtic? Surely a dream move for him. 

Edited by BobLoz3

47 minutes ago, China said:

Hwang better than both SVH and Idah. Career stats back this up. Hwang was never given the respect he deserved here

He was certainly technically better, but don't think he was anything special personally, showed glimpses of quality and a couple of decent finishes but Championship was firmly his level and we didn't need to suck him off to show how much we greatly appreciated his mediocrity.

For questions of Idah v SvH, I've been trying to look at it in terms of 'would X have scored Y goal'. Concluded most likely that the latter would be at least on a similar sort of goal return, had he been here since the start instead.

In terms of Hwang, I don't think Idah would have found the net as much with the exact same chances. Neither SvH, perhaps an argument for Sunderland A. Personally I think Hwang is clear of both, however, one should probably expect that from a 30+ international striker

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

For questions of Idah v SvH, I've been trying to look at it in terms of 'would X have scored Y goal'. Concluded most likely that the latter would be at least on a similar sort of goal return, had he been here since the start instead.

In terms of Hwang, I don't think Idah would have found the net as much with the exact same chances. Neither SvH, perhaps an argument for Sunderland A. Personally I think Hwang is clear of both, however, one should probably expect that from a 30+ international striker

Idah has 24 International caps now though doesn't he?

Given the discussion has moved to Idah v Hwang I think that says all you need to know about the fan's view on SVH. He seems a bit of a non event. Wagner seems to feel the same way.

5 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Not exactly-they’ve had a Number 1 album this year 👍

10 hours ago, NWC said:

Hwang - thought he was starting to come good. He was definitely getting more gametime than Syd. 

Probably due to Sarge being out when Hwang was here 

8 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Hwang was class. I strongly suspect the allegations against him coloured opinions.

You could see he wasn't on the same wavelength as his team mates at first, but rapidly improved. This is born out by his stats, since (according to WIki) he scored no goals in the first eight appearances then scored three goals in the five subsequent matches. I can remember seeing one of his goals & thinking that Idah would never have scored that in a month of Sundays, he just didn't have the technique or awareness.

As for SvH, I really don't think he'll cut it here. Like Riki, just not suited to English football.

Just as he wasn't suited to Italian football either.

12 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Idah has 24 International caps now though doesn't he?

He does, more a comment on Hwangs age & experience. As quite a few have said about Idah, you'd expect him at, say, 29 to be much more capable AKA the Carlton Morris paradigm.

15 hours ago, The Raptor said:

He's still going strong.  1 goal in 27 this season!

10 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Not exactly-they’ve had a Number 1 album this year 👍

You guys can sort it out between you 😉

On 16/04/2024 at 15:09, ron obvious said:

Hwang was class. I strongly suspect the allegations against him coloured opinions.

You could see he wasn't on the same wavelength as his team mates at first, but rapidly improved. This is born out by his stats, since (according to WIki) he scored no goals in the first eight appearances then scored three goals in the five subsequent matches. I can remember seeing one of his goals & thinking that Idah would never have scored that in a month of Sundays, he just didn't have the technique or awareness.

As for SvH, I really don't think he'll cut it here. Like Riki, just not suited to English football.

Exactly. If it is the goal I am thinking then I made just that point about it being one Idah would never have scored. But it was reported that Hwang only left because he was injured and otherwise we would have kept him.

That’s funny how a very average player can be called Class! Hwang was bang average and VH doesn’t look like any improvement!

To seriously push on we need two striker competing for that starting position, we haven’t really had that since Idah left! Even Idah never fulfilled his potential here but has kicked in at Celtic!

Maybe we need a Hwagdonk! 

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Indy said:

That’s funny how a very average player can be called Class! Hwang was bang average and VH doesn’t look like any improvement!

To seriously push on we need two striker competing for that starting position, we haven’t really had that since Idah left! Even Idah never fulfilled his potential here but has kicked in at Celtic!

Maybe we need a Hwagdonk! 

Well a class player was what I saw. As I said, he needed time to get on his team mates' wavelength, but once he did he showed intelligence, a fair degree of pace & strength & coolness under pressure. Those attributes are not average in this division.

You could argue he was pretty average for a PL striker, but that's not where we are. And unfortunately I strongly doubt that Adam will ever be as good a striker as Hwang. He's one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen, & have come to the conclusion his problems are deeply embedded in his psychology & as such will not change.

Edited by ron obvious

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Well a class player was what I saw. As I said, he needed time to get on his team mates' wavelength, but once he did he showed intelligence, a fair degree of pace & strength & coolness under pressure. Those attributes are not average in this division.

You could argue he was pretty average for a PL striker, but that's not where we are. And unfortunately I strongly doubt that Adam will ever be as good a striker as Hwang. He's one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen, & have come to the conclusion his problems are deeply embodied in his psychology & as such will not change.

We’ll agree to disagree, he was lost, had a couple games where he scored but ultimately was bang average championship player at best, if he was class that make Idah world class!

Edited by Indy

Hwang was starting to click and look decent, really a shame that we let him go TBH. I think he would have had 8-10 goals if he'd stayed. The off-field stuff is really messy - it's still under investigation whether he was making private videos with consent or illegally, but he was the victim in terms of those videos being leaked and being blackmailed, so if that's genuinely the reason we got rid of him then the club may have jumped the gun a bit there.

SvH just hasn't gotten any chances really so I don't think anyone can really make a judgment. Wagner doesn't seem to like him and is generally averse to making substitutions before the last few minutes anyhow for whatever reason - I think given more time on the field he might have come good and scored a few but given results you can't really argue too much with the gaffer's decisions.

Posted (edited)

Hwang was a bit of a strange signing after a long Summer, but at least he was match worthy and had an eye for goal.

SVH seems more sincere, if that is the word, but his continued lack of competitive minutes and therefore use to the club remains a mystery.

I can't really accept any of these theories about friction over the signing between Wagner and Knapper, or whoever, but hands were tied.

Idah's request to leave the club at the time it was made did, as it turns out, contribute to the situation. I really never quite rated the boy in the end, but his efforts were far better than the virtual nothingness of RVH's contribution. 

Perhaps the latter is truly one for the future. Others have needed time, after all.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I think Hwang was wrapped up in the deal with Omobamidele. Wasn't he injured when he returned to Forest? Perhaps the club was paying a fair chunk of his wages and felt with his off the field antics he was too much of a risk.

SVH has struggled to adapt in Italy and also in the Championship. Ultimately Wagner sees him everyday and doesn't feel he is ready yet.

What's next for him; a loan to League One?

In January, Hwang was badly injured, the initial prognosis was that he would have been unable to play again until the end of March, so take advantage of the break clause, send him back and save the loan fee! I haven't heard of him returning to the Florist squad yet, so given we only have 3 games left it was the right decision. He would not have helped us out during Rowe's injury, so waste of time discussing it.

As for SvH, it's another RvW scenario. Wrong type of player for our current set up. Next season ... ?

52 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

In January, Hwang was badly injured, the initial prognosis was that he would have been unable to play again until the end of March, so take advantage of the break clause, send him back and save the loan fee! I haven't heard of him returning to the Florist squad yet, so given we only have 3 games left it was the right decision. He would not have helped us out during Rowe's injury, so waste of time discussing it.

As for SvH, it's another RvW scenario. Wrong type of player for our current set up. Next season ... ?

Hwang went out on loan again to Turkey, played in early Feb but seems this was too soon and re-injured the hamstring so has only played 3 games.

I think it a combination of his fitness, Sargents return and the shadow of the legal stuff that brought us to cancel his deal. 

• Thanks 2