Sign in to follow this  
MC_NCFC

Final few games

How early can we guarantee playoffs? Do we play the youth and save legs/risk of injury? Or do we keep momentum with the same players?

Earliest might be this Sat

Depends on if we want to overhaul WBA

I'm sure a few will be monitored/rested, Sargeant, Rowe, Nunez, Duffy

Mostly it will be a game at a time, see how the players are

Unfortunately due to the intense pressure of games and training players are suffering far more injuries*, that's why there has been a move to allow 5 subs

* Gibbs

Just keep it going. The team going into the play offs with momentum will be the ones to win it, keep that momentum up by playing your best team and picking up as many points as you can. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Well, we have 71 points now.

Last season 6th place was Sunderland with 69 points. Season before 6th place was Luton with 75th.

Stats say the average points needed to finish 6th is 73 points.

I would start feeling confident with one more win.

https://www.thestatszone.com/archive/how-many-points-do-you-need-to-make-the-championship-play-offs

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

It is less about the points total now (Although we do need enough), more about the momentum.  The one to watch is Sargent, if a weeks rest would make a significant difference to his recovery I would do it, if not keep up the performances.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, RobJames said:

Earliest might be this Sat

Depends on if we want to overhaul WBA

I'm sure a few will be monitored/rested, Sargeant, Rowe, Nunez, Duffy

Mostly it will be a game at a time, see how the players are

Unfortunately due to the intense pressure of games and training players are suffering far more injuries*, that's why there has been a move to allow 5 subs

* Gibbs

Coventry can still get 75 points and aren't playing on Saturday due to the FA Cup. I think the earliest we can confirm the play offs is Wednesday 24 April when Coventry play Hull. 

If Wagner has any sense he will immediately rest all the attacking players with the exception of Rowe. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Lot depends if we want to get 5th. 

If we're going for 6th only need 5 points even if all challengers won all their games.

We have to push for 5th really.

I think the trouble is if you rest players that can cause more problems than it solves. Momentum is key going into the play-offs.

• Like 1

Also there is the issue that we are playing Birmingham on the last day, who may well need a result to stay up. I'm not sure of the rules, but I suspect the league would take a very dim view of us resting players in a game that could make a material difference to who stays up.

Obviously, we are also massively getting ahead of ourselves! Let's get those points first.

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We have to push for 5th really.

I think the trouble is if you rest players that can cause more problems than it solves. Momentum is key going into the play-offs.

Take each game one at a time.

We need 3 points on Saturday. Team at full strength this and every match until we are over the line!

Else if we got caught out we'd have nobody to blame but ourselves (sadly with hindsight).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well, we have 71 points now.

Last season 6th place was Sunderland with 69 points. Season before 6th place was Luton with 75th.

Stats say the average points needed to finish 6th is 73 points.

I would start feeling confident with one more win.

https://www.thestatszone.com/archive/how-many-points-do-you-need-to-make-the-championship-play-offs

I always think it's better stated as 1 more point than 7th if you want the actual target. That's not quite the same as 6th. There can be quite a difference some seasons between 6/7th as of now.

That said - We really don't want to be still 'in the mix' against B'ham with whoever behind needing a win to have any hope.

If Hull win their last 4 games they will have 77 points. 

We have 71 point plus a better GD, however at this stage we need 7 points (78) to guarantee 6th!

People are getting way ahead of themselves here. Hull win that game in hand and they're only 3 points behind. 

• Like 1

Keep the team together, keep them playing, keep them winning. Go into the playoffs on a winning streak with players full of confidence! Maybe rest the odd individual on the bench, or take them off when we are ahead (though that didn't go well at SW), but not go into resting the top players to protect them for the POs.

The last thing we need now is to pull out our best players to given them a rest and lose a few games before having to play 3 games against top 6 teams! 

Just 'playing' for 6th place (which might mean just drawing) would be a very dangerous game to play indeed.

Just go out and do the best you can in all the remaining games.

Posted (edited)

If we better Hull's result this weekend, we are probably there. Currently 6pts clear, another 0.1 of a point for us on Goal Difference and another 0.1 of a point for Goals Scored. Bonus for us if Leicester turn up against West Brom on Saturday.

A match in-hand is Hull v Coventry next Wednesday, we probably lean towards a result for Coventry, more so if Hull win this weekend. Draw would be beneficial. 

All Wagner needs to get them to do is focus on winning these two home games, the rest is noise. Don't rest until we are mathematically clear.

Edited by TheRock

41 minutes ago, Wombledoner said:

If Hull win their last 4 games they will have 77 points. 

We have 71 point plus a better GD, however at this stage we need 7 points (78) to guarantee 6th!

People are getting way ahead of themselves here. Hull win that game in hand and they're only 3 points behind. 

Hull's last four games are Watford (a), Coventry (a), Ipswich (h) and Plymouth (a).

If they win all four, fair play to them.

I still think talk of us being over the line already is premature and dangerous. Yes, we getting results,  but that means nothing until the necessary league position is assured. 

The earliest we can know this is Wednesday 24th, conversely, we could be needing something fro. The Birmingham game. 

I for one will taking one game at a time. 

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Hull's last four games are Watford (a), Coventry (a), Ipswich (h) and Plymouth (a).

If they win all four, fair play to them.

I'd be happy if they win just one game in particular 🤗

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I like this predicted league table very much

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 10.45.23.png

According to that table, Hull are only getting 2 more points from their final 4 games. Think they'd be disappointed with that.

1 minute ago, Scrivvy said:

According to that table, Hull are only getting 2 more points from their final 4 games. Think they'd be disappointed with that.

And they've got Leeds winning all their final 3 games. The way they're playing at the moment, they may not win any of them. 

Predicting the result of most football matches is difficult. Predicting the result for matches at the end of a Championship season is virtually impossible.

Think their algorithm might've gone a bit wrong for the Premier League predicted table. Maybe not the positions, but for the number of points.

Screenshot_20240415-121910.png