Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Owls V Canaries*

2 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Tactical no. Pre planned. Yes. That’s the problem for me. Wagner may well come out and say he asked to come off due to injury. Which if he did there’s not much you can do. I have a feeling though this was more to do with them deciding he could / should only play 60 mins. 

Well I had a feeling it wasn’t and his fitness is so vital to us that we are very carefully managing it.

The major problem is that we swapped Idah for SVH and left ourselves in this predicament.

• Like 2

We play same 11 every 3 days and same time almost no one come from bench because no bench really.

So after big emotions last  WEekend was no surpise  that we will struggle to be 90 min on track against very fisical Sheff Wed .

Very very hard game away at PNE with same 11 starting and totally no bench with Gibbs injured too...

Wednesday looked like Wimbledon of old. Ugly industrial hoofball with a lot of thuggery thrown in. I hope they go down.

On the other hand, they had a coach who saw the night was heading for disaster and did something to change things. It was excellent in-game management.

I like Wagner and he has lots of important management skills. Thinking on his feet isn't one of them, though.

8 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

We’ve had this before when everyone booed. The guy is struggling with his fitness when we play this number of games in such a short period. Did you think it was tactical!

If it results in throwing away points, what we saving him for? You have to take the risk to win games at this stage of the season.

I just can’t be happy at this point - if I had DW’s ear I’d be raging!!! 
Delia ain’t happy either - she thinks we threw that away 

Just now, Hairy Canary said:

Well I had a feeling it wasn’t and his fitness is so vital to us that we are very carefully managing it.

The major problem is that we swapped Idah for SVH and left ourselves in this predicament.

It’s a tough situation but I’m in the school of win the points you have before you worry about the points you don’t. Let’s see what Wagner comes out and says in he post game interview 

10 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I think if Wagner was serious about keeping attacking intent when taking off Sarg he brings on SvH or Aboh rather than Gibbs. Gibbs was a negative sub. 

Gibbs at least brings energy alongside the terminally immobile Barnes.  Replacing Gibbs with (the only slightly less immobile than Barnes) Fassnacht on the other hand was absolutely handing the initiative over, particularly given how Wednesday couldn't cope with any semblance of movement defensively.  They could throw everything at us with no fear of any counter.

There was one moment towards the end where Barnes was second to a ball two yards away from him when he had a four yard start on the defender.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boris said:

We play same 11 every 3 days and same time almost no one come from bench because no bench really.

So after big emotions last  WEekend was no surpise  that we will struggle to be 90 min on track against very fisical Sheff Wed .

Very very hard game away at PNE with same 11 starting and totally no bench with Gibbs injured too...

We did make 1 change Baath for Duffy. 

Just now, Barham Blitz said:

Gibbs at least brings energy alongside the terminally immobile Barnes.  Replacing Gibbs with (the only slightly less immobile than Barnes) Fassnacht on the other hand was absolutely handing the initiative over, particularly given how Wednesday couldn't cope with any semblance of movement defensively.  They could throw everything at us with no fear of any counter.

There was one moment towards the end where Barnes was second to a ball two yards away from him when he had a four yard start on the defender.

I don’t dispute Barnes not being as mobile as Sarg but what he is effective at is supporting and holding up play for another striker. I like Gibbs but swapping a striker for a midfielder will always be negative in my view. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Maybe that’s because our bench is so lacking. Who would you have brought on!

For Sarge, another striker. If consensus is that players on our bench are of lesser quality, what you don’t do is change your formation/approach to accommodate those subs, which amounts to a double-whammy of knowingly diminishing the on-field eleven. 

DW: If Sydney’s genuinely that rubbish, bring Aboh on. If you don’t trust/prefer to protect Aboh, leave Sarge on. Don’t mess with the fundamental attacking structure, PLEASE. 

The annoying thing about tonight is that the points were in our hands and we didn’t protect them. We weren’t at our best but we didn’t have to be. I’m expecting a very unpleasant trip to Deepdale - more reason we should have put everything into 3 points tonight. Echoes of Loftus Road and The Den. 

Still, we’re still 6th, we didn’t lose tonight and we probably won’t see Gibbs employed as a stunt no.10 again this season. 

Onwards & sideways! 

Edited by mrdi

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

We lacked our usual precision. One goal came from a long throw and their goalie gifted us the other. 

I'd put a large portion of that down to Danny Batth's inability to kick a football. Duffy isn't brilliant but Batth makes him look like Beckenbauer. The subs really didn't help but I actually think the tide was turning way before Sarge went off, we looked leggy and couldn't get anything going. Needed to be brave at that point and bring a host of fresh legs on like Rohl had done at half time. All we've done now is flog Sara, Sainz, Barnes and McLean even more. 

4 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Wednesday looked like Wimbledon of old. Ugly industrial hoofball with a lot of thuggery thrown in. I hope they go down.

On the other hand, they had a coach who saw the night was heading for disaster and did something to change things. It was excellent in-game management.

I like Wagner and he has lots of important management skills. Thinking on his feet isn't one of them, though.

I liked the old Crazy gang to be fair 

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I don’t dispute Barnes not being as mobile as Sarg but what he is effective at is supporting and holding up play for another striker. I like Gibbs but swapping a striker for a midfielder will always be negative in my view. 

He's also very good at dropping deep and giving an option, which creates passing angles in our forward play. Unfortunately when he plays as a single striker it means CBs can push up as faaaaar as they want, he isn't running in behind and will usually be up against 2 CBs.

We should have dropped Aboh in for Sargent to keep the pace element of the forwards, leave Barnes where he was. Even if all the lad did was run around and hassle. And at this point, despite having tried to give as much benefit of the doubt to the SvH transfer as possible, I have to wonder what the point is. Surely he can't be so bad that he isn't considered worth a go at 2-0 up??

• Like 1

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I don't disagree at all re. Barnes and unlike Wagner I don't see Gibbs as an attacking midfielder / second striker anyway, but there is at least a semblance of logic in playing him off Barnes in that situation.  Fassnacht and Barnes together was just daft.  It just shows our lack of options up front without Idah - once Gibbs went off though I agree we should absolutely have gone with another striker to offer some form of outlet ball though. 

21 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

A lot of work left to do yet. lose to Preston and I think we’ll bottle it. Huge game. Just how you like em 😅

I said on another thread 4 pts or more from our 2 games this week then we would be in a very strong position. 2 pts or less then it gets tricky.

Our squad is bog paper thin though and possibly thinner if Gibbs is long term injured and Duffy carrying a knock.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

And at this point, despite having tried to give as much benefit of the doubt to the SvH transfer as possible, I have to wonder what the point is. Surely he can't be so bad that he isn't considered worth a go at 2-0 up??

I can only assume he’s basically a 2nd tier Denis Srbeny with a famous name but minus the hat. 

13 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Sounds like a certain England manager 

10 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Wednesday looked like Wimbledon of old. Ugly industrial hoofball with a lot of thuggery thrown in.

That is a good analogy.  They set about us physically and it worked. Hard to take, but it worked - but we should have scored more and put it beyond their reach.

That for me is one of the worst results of the season, not because a draw is a terrible result but because of the way it happened. I simply cannot believe we managed not to win that game having been so totally and utterly dominant against a really poor side.

We were so wasteful with our chances. We all knew if they got one it would get twitchy and so it came to pass. Really, really frustrating. Again evidence this side, especially with that awful CB partnership, is not good enough to defend a lead whilst coasting. As soon as we take our foot off the gas and allow teams to get balls into our box we will concede. 

19 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Seconded.

We’re simply no good at sitting back. Absolutely awful at it. Leaving Barnes up front solo nullifies all our forward press and forces us backwards, we end up so deep we’re standing on the deck of the Titanic.

Not the result that we wanted but we are still in the hunt and the other results went in our favour.
Special mention to Sainz.His contribution both from an attacking point of view as well as defending, since his eventual introduction to the team has been excellent but above all, his discipline since the red card debacle has been superb despite some fairly heavy treatment from players.Previously he would have reacted somewhat  differently to the way he was thrown to the ground tonight.