Posted (edited)

They’ve beat QPR, Rotherham and Plymouth in the last month but otherwise have been beaten by all the top half teams

They are desperate for points but our best 11 should run rings round there’s.

Only issue potentially fatigue, yesterday was a big game and bar Barnes they basically all played 90 mins, bet it took its toll. Would be good to see some fresh faces given a chance if needs be.

We should be aiming to take all 3 points and keep Coventry at bay.

Edited by Monty13

I was always more worried about these 2 away games coming up this week rather than yesterday.

My biggest concern is that we're asking the same 11 to play virtually 90 mins each game currently because of how weak our squad/bench is

• Like 3

It’s a 3 way game of chicken between us, Coventry and west brom.

2 of those 3 teams will get 5th and 6th. It’s about who blinks first.

We simply have to win every game 😂

Anyone got an idea of the best place to park near Hillsborough? I have to be in London for work that day so it’s going to be a race against time. @shefcanary? 🙏

I see this one being a draw, just something about playing a relegation threatened team away from home so soon after a huge win and result that screams damp squib to me. I think though if we win both our home games and draw every away game we should make the top 6 and if we don't on 76 points we can count ourselves really unlucky and Coventry would have had to go on a hell of a run (including their recent form) to beat us. If they get over 76 points they would have won 8 and drawn 2/won 9 out of 11 fixtures between match 35 and the end of the season and if they do that then tbh we'd have just been really unlucky to miss out. 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What are we thinking then? Would probably feel confident if not for them having won their last match and our away form not exactly being the best..

So is this as near as we get in ‘ CC World ‘ to thinking draw then ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

They’ve beat QPR, Rotherham and Plymouth in the last month but otherwise have been beaten by all the top half teams

They are desperate for points but our best 11 should run rings round there’s.

Only issue potentially fatigue, yesterday was a big game and bar Barnes they basically all played 90 mins, bet it took its toll. Would be good to see some fresh faces given a chance if needs be.

We should be aiming to take all 3 points and keep Coventry at bay.

Trouble is,Wagner does'nt appear to trust anybody on the bench apart from Gibbs. Something will have to give,as I feel the same eleven can't keep going for five more games,plus maybe,at least two more.

5 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Trouble is,Wagner does'nt appear to trust anybody on the bench apart from Gibbs. Something will have to give,as I feel the same eleven can't keep going for five more games,plus maybe,at least two more.

I'd agree in general. I think Fassnacht, perhaps Gibbs will come in for Tuesday

The trouble is with the youngsters + SvH, we are not in a 'learning' stage at the moment. The latter could probably have had more minutes recently but if Sargent can play, Sargent plays. We just aren't in a position for players to find their feet.

The return of Hernandez + Rowe may be very aptly timed.

18 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I'd agree in general. I think Fassnacht, perhaps Gibbs will come in for Tuesday

The trouble is with the youngsters + SvH, we are not in a 'learning' stage at the moment. The latter could probably have had more minutes recently but if Sargent can play, Sargent plays. We just aren't in a position for players to find their feet.

The return of Hernandez + Rowe may be very aptly timed.

I’m pretty sure Onel is out for the season. Dimi might make the playoffs apparently, Hanley may as well.

Rowe and Sorensen should be back by next weekend if not before.

18 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I’m pretty sure Onel is out for the season. Dimi might make the playoffs apparently, Hanley may as well.

Hernandez said on his personal YouTube thing that if all goes well, he will be back in training in about 2 weeks. Maybe he's just being optimistic.

Wagner doesn't tend to drop players in ASAP as we know, so it may not factor in at all. However to have Onel available for even Swansea, Birmingham and whatever might follow is better than not.

Winner vs Ipswich at Wembley..? 😊

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Hernandez said on his personal YouTube thing that if all goes well, he will be back in training in about 2 weeks. Maybe he's just being optimistic.

Wagner doesn't tend to drop players in ASAP as we know, so it may not factor in at all. However to have Onel available for even Swansea, Birmingham and whatever might follow is better than not.

Winner vs Ipswich at Wembley..? 😊

Onel last second 99th minute winner at Wembley against the binners in the playoff final..

I would probably die of a heart attack but it would be worth it

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

A myth that relegation facing teams will be fighting harder. If they had that capacity earlier, then they would not be in that fight.

I doubt it was any lack of trust, but a simple recognition that the 11 on the pitch were holding the binners, so why break up that team.

Yes, it will be hard coming so soon after the binners, but you would be surprised at how much a winning mentality carries you through. And although players claim not to look at the table, they will be well away that is the game to burst a gut for. A win puts us on 70 points, most likely needing only another 4 points. Get those points now, while things are in our favour, no injuries and a team bottom of the table.

Onel looking pretty lively after the Derby!

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

• Like 3

It's  a massive issue, if we're chasing a game, who do we bring on that's going to freshen up the attack and give some threat ?  While Idah has weaknesses, he could fulfil that role, and at the moment we don't have anyone who can, with VH not yet really contributing.

Aside from Gibbs and Fassnacht, the rest of the bench is purely injury cover.  If we're several goals up then you can bring on VH or Aboh for a bit but that's not exactly the point.

16 hours ago, RobJames said:

A myth that relegation facing teams will be fighting harder.

I appreciate what you're saying, but it's more nuanced than that as teams at the bottom could be there through sustained injuries and have players returning, and also change of managers could certainly see a bounce.

On the flip however, like you say, it's more likely the fight will leave them quicker if they go a goal down and start to think "here we go again".   It's an easy cliche I guess, and more likely used to warn players of the favoured team so they don't under-estimate them.

19 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

It's  a massive issue, if we're chasing a game, who do we bring on that's going to freshen up the attack and give some threat ?  While Idah has weaknesses, he could fulfil that role, and at the moment we don't have anyone who can, with VH not yet really contributing.

Aside from Gibbs and Fassnacht, the rest of the bench is purely injury cover.  If we're several goals up then you can bring on VH or Aboh for a bit but that's not exactly the point.

Totally agree. At some point we are going to have to chase a game, although we pretty much gave up against Leicester.

I'm already thinking about the play-offs, extra time and penalties! Rowe has got to hit the ground running and be a lot more robust than he has so far over the last couple of seasons.

18 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Onel last second 99th minute winner at Wembley against the binners in the playoff final..

I would probably die of a heart attack but it would be worth it

After Gibbs hatrick 🙂

12 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I appreciate what you're saying, but it's more nuanced than that as teams at the bottom could be there through sustained injuries and have players returning, and also change of managers could certainly see a bounce.

On the flip however, like you say, it's more likely the fight will leave them quicker if they go a goal down and start to think "here we go again".   It's an easy cliche I guess, and more likely used to warn players of the favoured team so they don't under-estimate them.

Given Wednesday's league position they have to go for it - a draw isn't much better than a loss for them at this stage so it will be a 'free hit' for them. Three points or bust.

That means its likely to be an open game and 'should' play to our strengths. Let us hope we are up for it and have no 'no-shows'.

Whatever the squad limitations, we must use the strongest starting eleven for as long as is possible. Every point is a prisoner. It is down to Wagner's game management to work out the best time in a game to make subs for reasons other than tactical ... ie. to reduce minute time on the pitch when necessary and for whoever.

Nunez was supposed to have been exhausted when he came back from international duty, travel included, yet he was brilliant against the binners just a short spell after. Sara seems to have played every minute. The Sarge's game time has been very well managed in his road to recovery. The coaching team will know, ably backed up by the medics. Kenny is a one-man engine room.

It's a tough ask, but no more for City players than for others. Look at Coventry's run-in.

I realise that this thread is now about lack of cover, but game-management of the resources at his disposal would be vital in any case. Besides, Gibbs is useful, whilst other such players (Lungi) are nearly ready. Rowe is a twinkle away.

Bahtt might well be given a chance to demonstrate why he was signed, ditto RVH and Aboah might be a revelation.

Surely we could have done with an extra loan or two in Jan, but that's in the past.

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

New manager bounce pretty much a myth.  What happens if it is now players are out. And why did Blackburn and Watford with seemingly little to play for pull off a draw with two promotion chasing clubs.

We go to Weds looking to win. Weds have had the same approach to their games, only they don't have the same quality or drive as us. It is as basic as that. There will be games where they do well just as games where we do well. The only difference is we have done better in more games.

That's where the analysis starts.... why, for each club.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Given Wednesday's league position they have to go for it - a draw isn't much better than a loss for them at this stage so it will be a 'free hit' for them. Three points or bust.

I appreciate that, but there's also the reality that getting 3 points is much easier from a 0-0 position vs the gamble of getting into a fire fight with a team in form.

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

I appreciate that, but there's also the reality that getting 3 points is much easier from a 0-0 position vs the gamble of getting into a fire fight with a team in form.

Yes.... but even at 0:0 with 20 mins to go they'd have to try for a win. I doubt they think they can park the metaphorical bus for the whole match.

Anyway - I'm just expecting an open game as both sides need the points! Yes a cagey start no doubt.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

Anyway - I'm just expecting an open game as both sides need the points! Yes a cagey start no doubt.

You don't think they'd be the happier of the two taking 1 point then?

Edited by Google Bot

8 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

You don't think they'd be the happier of the two taking 1 point then?

Only if they can't get 3...

They are running out of time / games

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Anyone got an idea of the best place to park near Hillsborough? I have to be in London for work that day so it’s going to be a race against time. @shefcanary? 🙏

Apologies for tardy response NS, but have been celebrating since that game on Saturday. 

Also a further apology but being local I haven't driven to Hillsborough this century! I get the Supertram from Town. My usual recommendation to Norwich fans driving is to park at Meadowhall then get the Supertram, stopping at Shalesmoor / Kelham Island for a few drinks at the good selection of real ale pubs close to the stop in relative safety (The Wellington, The Ship, Kelham Island Tavern, The Fat Cat, Saw Grinder's Union, The Allder all worth a "taste" or two).

Sure, the Supertram takes 35 minutes, but driving to the stadium would usually take as long as driving to the ground as the A61 on which it stands is hellishly slow on matchdays. If you are driving and aiming to get as close to the stadium as possible, then taking the M1 to Junction 35 or even 36 and then driving in from the North is probably quicker than trying to traverse through the City Centre.

The following guide on Car parks holds true as far as I know.

image.thumb.png.0d43880479b188791439bb2e48e1345d.png

So, come in from the North and look for the "unofficial" car parks along the A61 as you get close to the stadium if you are in a rush.

As the advice says, the streets around the ground are permit controlled, and Sheffield's famous parking wardens will be busy as always on matchdays. But a £30 ticket might be a fair price for another step to the play-offs?

Edited by shefcanary
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes.... but even at 0:0 with 20 mins to go they'd have to try for a win. I doubt they think they can park the metaphorical bus for the whole match.

Sheff Weds have been needing the points all season. So what makes you think they are now able to achieve them now. By all accounts their win at QPR was against the run of play, which happens, and could well happen again on Tuesday.

Wagner has got the team firing on all cylinders. We wanted it more than the binners on Sat. I suspect it will be the same on Tuesday. As I said there is a reason they are where they are.... and also a reason why we are where we are.

7 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Sheff Weds have been needing the points all season. So what makes you think they are now able to achieve them now. By all accounts their win at QPR was against the run of play, which happens, and could well happen again on Tuesday.

Wagner has got the team firing on all cylinders. We wanted it more than the binners on Sat. I suspect it will be the same on Tuesday. As I said there is a reason they are where they are.... and also a reason why we are where we are.

I think your comment is meant for somebody else. I do think we should win - but I think they have to be brave and try and win too which should play into our hands.