JonnyJonnyRowe

Left back contract situation a little worrying?

I wonder what peoples thoughts are about the left back situation at the moment with Giannoulis, McCallum, and their emergency cover Jacob Sorenson all out of contract in the summer?

Any of these could sign a pre-contract to join any non-English club in the summer if they like.

I do wonder whether it could be a case of us wanting to keep Giannoulis if we secure promotion, and can therefore afford to continue to pay his presumably high wages, but releasing him and using McCallum if we failed to win promotion as he'd presumably be a fair bit cheaper. 

However if that was the intention surely McCallum would be secured to a new contract regardless? 

Clearly if we fail to get promoted at least one of them will need to go to reduce the wage bill, and if we get promoted it might be that actually we could decide to invest in that position and replace one of the two with a more defensive minded option.

But the current situation, where could lose both, is a bit concerning?

12 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I wonder what peoples thoughts are about the left back situation at the moment with Giannoulis, McCallum, and their emergency cover Jacob Sorenson all out of contract in the summer?

Any of these could sign a pre-contract to join any non-English club in the summer if they like.

I do wonder whether it could be a case of us wanting to keep Giannoulis if we secure promotion, and can therefore afford to continue to pay his presumably high wages, but releasing him and using McCallum if we failed to win promotion as he'd presumably be a fair bit cheaper. 

However if that was the intention surely McCallum would be secured to a new contract regardless? 

Clearly if we fail to get promoted at least one of them will need to go to reduce the wage bill, and if we get promoted it might be that actually we could decide to invest in that position and replace one of the two with a more defensive minded option.

But the current situation, where could lose both, is a bit concerning?

If we get promoted neither are defensively good enough, personally I think Dimi needs to go what ever league we are in. McCallum stays if wages aren't to much , he plays if in championship,  and if we went up he's cover and we invest. 

• Like 4

Just now, Sufyellow said:

If we get promoted neither are defensively good enough, personally I think Dimi needs to go what ever league we are in. McCallum stays if wages aren't to much , he plays if in championship,  and if we went up he's cover and we invest. 

Would it surprise you though, if we went up, if we ended up playing a 3-2-3-2 or something with three at the back?

2 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Would it surprise you though, if we went up, if we ended up playing a 3-2-3-2 or something with three at the back?

With the defensive players we have it would surprise me if we won a game. They totally ball watch and get drawn towards the ball leaving players unmarked everywhere. There's still no leader organising the defence. What formation do you think we play now? 

1 hour ago, Sufyellow said:

Spot on.

With Giannoulis, I think that if we go up, he isn't good enough to start, and if we don't, he's too expensive.

McCallum is no worse and wouldn't command the wages Giannoulis does, so I'd keep him if we stay in the Championship and possibly also as an inexpensive backup if we go up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sufyellow said:

With the defensive players we have it would surprise me if we won a game. They totally ball watch and get drawn towards the ball leaving players unmarked everywhere. There's still no leader organising the defence. What formation do you think we play now? 

Oh, and I also agree with this. We'd need a whole new starting back four if we were to get promotion. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Oh, and I also agree with this. We'd need a whole new starting back four if we were to get promotion. 

Kenny brought some semblance of leadership at the back when he played there. Could be become a permanent CB? Plus he has much better ball distribution than any of the rest, and is more forward minded. This new running with the ball Kenny is a revelation. My POTS this season.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I consider McCallum to be improving at a rate of knots. I always rated Williams and thought it was a pity that we could not hang on to him for another season, but I now feel that I would prefer young McCallum as a more settled player who gradually influences games more in many ways and is justifying the faith we have shown in him since early days. Williams, on the other hand, has been a costly and disruptive force on loan at ITFC. The "lazy" tag given to Sam McC. is what we have coaches to address, and the player is improving quickly.

Dimi is no mug of course, but has high wages reportedly and for this reason is does seem that his time at Carrow Road might be coming to an end.

Whatever league we are in, I would happily settle for both, but we clearly would find Dimi too expensive if we remain in the Chumps.

The disappointment of remaining in the Championship next season could be mitigated by facilitating the breakthrough of our promising youth earlier. There seems so many, I'm lost, but Kamara, Abohah and the young Irish central defender spring to mind. I'd rather plum for Reyes* than Long also, based on nothing but reports as he remains at Colney.

As things stand at the moment, SVD seems a mistake, if not only for the timing of the loan, but the scouts must see something there.

* Actually now loaned out.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, chicken said:

Sorensen has an option of another year I believe.

Came here to say this. Yep, we can extend to 2025. Would imagine Dimi's agent is already lining something up for him, he'll be gone in the summer. Probably back to the continent, I'd guess.

McCallum is a more interesting one. Still young, still improving, but only starting due to Dimi's injury. Good in the air for a full-back, good going forward, strong in the tackle although has a tendency to get caught upfield. I'd be surprised if we hadn't offered him a new contract, although the other feasible scenario is that the club won't guarantee him a starting berth next season because they don't think he's good enough, and his agent is trying to find him a first-choice role elsewhere. I'd hope we can keep him on.

I find the Dimi / McCallum debate interesting, in that I appear to be in the minority that thinks Dimi is the superior player who I’d pick every time. At 28, he’s into his prime too. It would be a shame to lose Dimi. 

However, McCallum is showing promising signs of improvement. He’s getting better on the ball and is becoming somewhat of a weapon in the oppositions box. But I still don’t like him defensively or positionally, and don’t trust that area of his game. He seems to make it quite clear he doesn’t like that side of it either! Dimi with Stacy is better balance.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

worth taking but he shouldnt even be in the left back discussion

as for McCallum I dont know where people get lazy form he works his **** of but has the tendancy to be caught out of position to far upfield which can get us punished , the flip side is he is becoming a real problem for teams on the attack and a genuine threat

Dimi he is ok but the time is done

• Like 1

I think the McCallum lazy thing is related to his body language. He is like the new Kieran Dowell it had regard. I think it’s his gait and he always looks quite languid if that makes sense. I don’t think he is lazy.

• Like 1

I’m with those that can’t see Dimi staying, I imagine Knapper wants to freshen up the squad and while I like him, Dimi has proved consistently inconsistent and must be on high wages.

McCallum is younger, still potential to improve but depending on the league we are in he’s unlikely to be first choice especially because he wasn’t already this season.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see both leave, but if we were to keep one I suspect it’s McCallum.

Pretty sure the implication from Knapper was we weren’t having any other contract discussions yet with players out in the summer, maybe that’s still the case.

Id be surprised if we don’t give Sorensen one more year due to his utility but he shouldn’t be in a conversation about having two genuine LBs IMO, he’s 3rd (arguably 4th because of Kenny) choice.

All good points. Neither full back is head or shoulders above the other and that is the problem. You really need a top top left back and a back up of lesser ability 

The top teams of course have two good players but our budget.....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Spot on.

With Giannoulis, I think that if we go up, he isn't good enough to start, and if we don't, he's too expensive.

McCallum is no worse and wouldn't command the wages Giannoulis does, so I'd keep him if we stay in the Championship and possibly also as an inexpensive backup if we go up.

Surely we won't have the finances to replace either of these players for better even if do we go up. Knapper might well have a couple of decent PL youngsters up his sleeve, and Anntasio might be more encouraged to invest (or his other potential interested parties down under,)  but there will still be limitations.

The main bonus of promotion, apart from the massive cash input necessary to avoid mid-Chump's mediocrity, is that we have more chance of retaining the likes of Sara, Rowe, Gunn, Sargent and now even  Saintz we cannot contemplate big spending this time around and high cost, high wage Premier League level players will be even more off limitations than even before.

It'll be a more Luton, take the cash and run, than Forest spend the cash and damn the consequences for NCFC.

So what? I'd love another season at the top-table, no matter how far we are placed from the business end of it or how far we end up from it.

Edited by BroadstairsR

4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

McCallum is a more interesting one. Still young, still improving, but only starting due to Dimi's injury. Good in the air for a full-back, good going forward, strong in the tackle although has a tendency to get caught upfield. I'd be surprised if we hadn't offered him a new contract, although the other feasible scenario is that the club won't guarantee him a starting berth next season because they don't think he's good enough, and his agent is trying to find him a first-choice role elsewhere. I'd hope we can keep him on.

I'd say this is symptomatic of our system rather than his own failings; the midfield should be covering for his absence. [I thought Nunez was culpable for the Plymouth goal because he should have tracked the scorer while the defence adjusted for the unmarked winger.] 

McCallum has potential and generally presents more threat than Dimi ever has. I really like his long throws too. He's definitely the one to keep. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, chicken said:

Don’t we have a 1 year option on McCallum as well? 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Surely we won't have the finances to replace either of these players for better even if do we go up.

Yeah, we'd have to spend a lot of money all over the pitch, and so there wouldn't be much for a new starting left back. But I'd rather take a gamble on someone relatively cheap and unproven who might be good enough rather than give a contract to someone who we're almost certain isn't up to it.

However, we're getting a little too far ahead of ourselves even discussing this.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yeah, we'd have to spend a lot of money all over the pitch, and so there wouldn't be much for a new starting left back. But I'd rather take a gamble on someone relatively cheap and unproven who might be good enough rather than give a contract to someone who we're almost certain isn't up to it.

However, we're getting a little too far ahead of ourselves even discussing this.

The fact that we are even discussing it is a bl-ody miracle after the depths we sank to earlier in the season, so let's enjoy it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Came here to say this. Yep, we can extend to 2025. Would imagine Dimi's agent is already lining something up for him, he'll be gone in the summer. Probably back to the continent, I'd guess.

Agree but also lacks pace though so when he pushes on (which I think he does well) , he really struggles to get back.

Long throw is dangerous too.

Isn't our next major left back already at the club in Montoia. He made the bench on Friday and is very highly regarded

6 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

There was an article on dimi that I thought was inyeresting. It suggested him staying was dependent upon us going up.

That might suggest we are waiting with the two of them? If we go up, Dimi signs on, McCallum goes. If we remain in the champs, Dimi goes, McCallum stays. Either way McCallum is U24 so can't go on a free or speak to anyone other than us right now.

6 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.  

Even if Giannoulis was open to a new deal I could see Knapper choosing against it in order to lower the squad's average age. 

McCallum is indeed an interesting one and I think you're right, I can't see him signing unless he's the starter and honestly I'm not sure the club will see him as that. 

At this point I'd say the most likely outcome is both go and 1 or 2 come in depending on how Montoia does over the summer.

I wouldn't say its anything to worry about as we would simply just sign different options.

Gini at his best is very good but not consistent and is seemingly never going to score a goal.

McCallum is young enough to still improve so I'm sure it'll depend how he ends the season (and how we do).

It depends on what league we're in, until we know for sure there's no reason committing to any deals. That's true for the club and the players themselves. 

Even so I think Dimi will be off and McCallum will stay, regardless of what happens. 

If we go up McCallum makes sense as a cheap, young-ish back up option and then we could bring in someone to be first choice.

If we stay down then it will probably be McCallum's shirt to start the year with Montoia as the back up option. Don't know the exact financial situation but we're losing parachute payments I believe and it's generally agreed we have one of the higher wage bills in the league. It's not going to make much sense to make a big splash in that position, especially when we may be faced with having to replace one or two of Rowe/Sara/Sargent.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

He's good enough to start in this league. 

4 hours ago, chicken said:

There was an article on dimi that I thought was inyeresting. It suggested him staying was dependent upon us going up.

That might suggest we are waiting with the two of them? If we go up, Dimi signs on, McCallum goes. If we remain in the champs, Dimi goes, McCallum stays. Either way McCallum is U24 so can't go on a free or speak to anyone other than us right now.

If we go up , Dimi is not good enough,  we will definitely need a better option, McCallum pushing new player would be a lot better option. 

2 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

If we go up , Dimi is not good enough,  we will definitely need a better option, McCallum pushing new player would be a lot better option. 

Read the article. Without trying to sound too harsh, Dimi has now been preferred under three managers. I think Dimi is the more accomplished, which you would expect of a player in his prime, McCallum could yet improve until he hits his. Lets also not forget that Dimi came from a club that played European football and had been linked to Liverpool before they eventually plumped for his compatriot, Tsimakis.

So I would say, if we went up, and you don't think Giannoulis is good enough, I'm not sure how it can be argued McCallum is also not good enough.

The latest article about McCallum is interesting. He says the contract talks are ongoing and he wants to stay and he is trying to earn a new contract. It sounds as if he wants better terms and the club has said go out there and show us you are worth them. It may support my hypothesis too in that the club is waiting to see where we are before offering contracts out. Seems a bit risky, but as I say, at aged 23, McCallum could leave for compensation so we are somewhat protected.

I'm also a little surprised about how open and honest some players have been about contract situations. Usually it's kept on the low. If they are all speaking the truth, then how does Sorensen feel, having supposedly not been offered a new contract, or at least been told no talks until the end of the season Vs McCallum who has had talks already? I know we have an option on Sorensen of a further year but you'd think he'd have been told it's happening, or maybe he's just being clever and knows that is going to be triggered and the talks in the summer will be to extend that - so he has answered the question given, just not all of it?

Interesting times.

Giannoulis and McCallum are about as good a two left back options as you could get at this level... as in, you may find a better left back, but usually the understudy will be less capable. The two of them are not far off each other. 

3 hours ago, repman said:

It depends on what league we're in, until we know for sure there's no reason committing to any deals. That's true for the club and the players themselves. 

Even so I think Dimi will be off and McCallum will stay, regardless of what happens. 

If we go up McCallum makes sense as a cheap, young-ish back up option and then we could bring in someone to be first choice.

If we stay down then it will probably be McCallum's shirt to start the year with Montoia as the back up option. Don't know the exact financial situation but we're losing parachute payments I believe and it's generally agreed we have one of the higher wage bills in the league. It's not going to make much sense to make a big splash in that position, especially when we may be faced with having to replace one or two of Rowe/Sara/Sargent.

Possibly, but the usual route would be to have Montoia loaned for a season first to get experience unless he has been exceptional for the U23's. Folks are only mentioning him for the first team after he has featured on the bench. I'm not sure all of the youngsters that have featured on the bench in recent weeks will be going into the first team squad next season even if we remain in the championship - that's not to say some won't, but it's a bit early to be jumping that gun. He's clearly there because of the injury to Giannoulis, beyond that, it's guesswork at this point.