21 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What a match he had today. Some player he's turning out to be.

Cue certain posters jumping in to remind us all that mountain man personally walked the world to greet him and drag him to us. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, overthebordercanary said:

Would we be further up the league if wagner had played him sooner

I don't think it's that simple. He was clearly not tracking / putting in the work rate when he first started. That has changed recently. 

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Indeed, McLean and Sainz were head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch today for me. 

Indeed. No way waz Sargent MOM! He continues to do a sterling job post injury but he's not this 'quality PL striker' some are banging on about. If you actually watch him closely you'll see his first touch is far from top notch. Too often the ball bounces off his shin, foot, thigh or whatever and he loses possession. His goals are often scruffy and carry more than  a touch of luck. Now whether that matters is debatable as all goal scorers score their fair share of scruffy ones. His goal scoring record is impressive but I don't think he is PL quality.

• Like 1

Some real excellent performances all round.

I would credit Gunn with having another superb game. Out of his goal to block what should have been a clear goal, blocking another 'certain'with his foot and a magnificent slide tackle in front of the P fans when their attacker was through.

The only fault was their goal. Watching the highlights he had three chances to save that header 😉

I was disappointed with Sainz today. Maybe he had been told to come inside a lot, but it left their no 29 - who crossed for their goal - completely unmarked on numerous occasions, with McCullum left to mark two players.

I'm not sure anyone really played well. Against any Premiership side we'd have been destroyed.

34 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I was disappointed with Sainz today. Maybe he had been told to come inside a lot, but it left their no 29 - who crossed for their goal - completely unmarked on numerous occasions, with McCullum left to mark two players.

I'm not sure anyone really played well. Against any Premiership side we'd have been destroyed.

Against Sheffield Utd I can assure you that would not be the case.  

Sainz is so pleasing on the eye, constantly making positive & progressive decisions. Exciting to watch. Absolute beauty. 

• Like 1

Sainz is what Webber was good at Free / cheaper players finding diamonds 

give him money and his success rate went down ,

Sainz is a far more suited to English football than Tzolis or Rashica 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

Indeed. No way waz Sargent MOM! He continues to do a sterling job post injury but he's not this 'quality PL striker' some are banging on about. If you actually watch him closely you'll see his first touch is far from top notch. Too often the ball bounces off his shin, foot, thigh or whatever and he loses possession. His goals are often scruffy and carry more than  a touch of luck. Now whether that matters is debatable as all goal scorers score their fair share of scruffy ones. His goal scoring record is impressive but I don't think he is PL quality.

I think that's a bit harsh on Sargent. His first touch isn't his best quality, but he's so much more direct and clinical than he used to be, and he's really thriving now that he's out of Pukki's shadow. He has come on leaps and bounds this season and both our record with him in the team and his own numbers show how important he is to us.

Despite his goal, I don't think his overall performance today was as good as they have been recently though. He just didn't seem quite as sharp as usual and probably should've had a couple of tap ins from crosses which Sainz laid on a plate.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think that's a bit harsh on Sargent. His first touch isn't his best quality, but he's so much more direct and clinical than he used to be, and he's really thriving now that he's out of Pukki's shadow. He has come on leaps and bounds this season and both our record with him in the team and his own numbers show how important he is to us.

Despite his goal, I don't think his overall performance today was as good as they have been recently though. He just didn't seem quite as sharp as usual and probably should've had a couple of tap ins from crosses which Sainz laid on a plate.

I agree he was poor first half, when our attack looked good and presented him with a few chances. I thought he was good in the second half, when IMO our team as a whole looked worse despite scoring two goals. Football is a weird game, which is why so many people love it, I suppose.

9 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I guess an issue with Sargent currently is that he is probably still carrying his injury to some extent. In an ideal world, and with an adequate replacement, he would not be spending so many minutes on the pitch. But in our situation, needs must.

Agree though, he was never MoM. I would have given it to Sainz personally.

4 hours ago, Conrad said:

I guess an issue with Sargent currently is that he is probably still carrying his injury to some extent. In an ideal world, and with an adequate replacement, he would not be spending so many minutes on the pitch. But in our situation, needs must.

Kenny in my opinion

5 hours ago, Conrad said:

Yeah, he is clearly still working through and not fully training.

Less of an issue if we had a decent backup striker option, but we loaned him out and replaced him with..Well yeah.