Sign in to follow this  
BicesterCanary

Moaned at for chanting

Posted (edited)

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced what our group gets when we are chanting. A glare behind from the older fan base is almost guaranteed. Today we were confronted for singing. Is this experienced by others? Any people who hate chanters care to share why? Never had this with younger fans but a portion of the older generation seem to hate it

Edited by BicesterCanary
Spelling
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Honestly, screw them. I’ve dealt with them before. Dead inside lol.

Wagner's doing great now though isn't he?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BicesterCanary said:

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced what our group gets when we are chanting. A glare behind from the older fan base is almost guaranteed. Today we were confronted for singing. Is this experienced by others? Any people who hate chanters care to share why? Never had this with younger fans but a portion of the older generation seem to hate it

80 Percenters mate, ignore the anti-atmosphere shandy drinkers.

What did they say, and what was the chanting at the time?

See plenty of people who moan about standing or get fed up with someone if they're continually acting a ****.  But not seen anyone get confronted for general chanting before.

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

What did they say, and what was the chanting at the time?

See plenty of people who moan about standing or get fed up with someone if they're continually acting a ****.  But not seen anyone get confronted for general chanting before.

Nothing in particular tbh, just a general animosity from us starting chants. The generals of yellows and OTBC was maybe 5 minutes in. They then promptly left after we started a 'Were Norwich City. We' ll sing on our own". I more just wanted to see if anyone else had this perspective as it's definitely not the first time people have tried to make it uncomfortable to chant. Not that igaf 😂

14 minutes ago, BicesterCanary said:

A glare behind from the older fan base is almost guaranteed.

Gosh, that must be intimidating. Perhaps you could find a safe space, or explain why you can see someone standing behind or bother to look, if they are only 'glaring'.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Gosh, that must be intimidating. Perhaps you could find a safe space, or explain why you can see someone standing behind or bother to look, if they are only 'glaring'.

Guessing you're one of them then 😂 I just cant understand the logic more than anything 

Posted (edited)

I didn’t see any of that today, and never have at an away games. Where were you standing?

Edited by Nuff Said

2 minutes ago, RobJames said:

RJ, I find you absolutely bizarre mate. I really do.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I didn’t see any of that today, and never have an away games. Where were you standing?

Might be my southern accent tbf, we're not local to Norwich but I'd say it's about 50/50 each game. Its becoming part and parcel of an away game for me, definitely a new thing in the last couple years 

I didn’t moan, although I did point out to the woman next to me that the new song-to the tune of Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Everywhere’-was the most tuneless song I’d ever heard 🤣

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, BicesterCanary said:

Might be my southern accent tbf, we're not local to Norwich but I'd say it's about 50/50 each game.

Are you as far south as Diss, then?  Accent shouldn't be that noticeable, but some supporters are very diligent in weeding outsiders out, try putting "buh" at the end of each chant and using terms like "Thass a rum ol' shot" when Gaby shoots.   If it goes in, just arch your back and in a high pitch voice go 'Coooooooooootdahell bah!"

You should be ok then.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Perhaps it is the singer rather than the chanting/song - I’ve heard some utterly tuneless chanting in my many years of going to games…though find it funny more than annoying, and it’s clearly not meant to be a singing competition!

Interesting topic. I think our away fan base is varied, probably less cohesive and loud that most. At away games that I attend the atmosphere varies, usually good, but you can find yourself in a mixed area with relatively few getting behind the team, so I think I know where you’re coming from. Hell is other people at times. We all know a motley varied bunch turn up at away games, from partners to neutrals who live locally who have been invited along. 
 I remember being in the away end at Leeds in the late 70s, probably a coach load, the Leeds fans were able to individually take the mick out of us, I realised quite early that quite a few with me weren’t even Norwich fans, they had joined mates, along for the day trip. In those days one almost wanted to lose as it was a long walk back to the station - but Justin scored and it was 2-2. 

36 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

His Bill character was even more bizarre.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

His Bill character was even more bizarre.

Not to mention all the other characters he went by! Sad really but can post some good stuff but generally on here to cause a conflict! Best avoided! 

Only happened to me once.  Sitting in the jarrolds stand. We were joining in with the chants. Not swearing and the guy in front turned round and told us to calm down. We ignored him. 

Best story though I can't remember where I read it, probably on here. A few people tried to get a few chants going on the coach back from a winning away game. They were promptly told to shut up so people could get some sleep!

22 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Quite right.

How dare I question someone seeing a person behind them glaring. Or some youngster feeling intimidated by an old person glaring at them. Perhaps it was just a frown. Mind you it could have got nasty with the old boy breaking out into 'tut tut'

You should learn to recognise a wind up, and either join in or ignore rather than come across (yet again) as a pompous **** 🤣

I can't recall ever having ever being criticised for chanting nor seen any others criticised for doing so. Are you sure that either you or your mates were not being obnoxious in any way?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

I can't recall ever having ever being criticised for chanting nor seen any others criticised for doing so. Are you sure that either you or your mates were not being obnoxious in any way?

I suspect a piece of binner bait and he’s hooked a few lol.

• Thanks 1

Not a binner, just been my experience at a number of games now. Maybe we are obnoxious but 90% of people round us seem to enjoy it. We are loud 

6 minutes ago, BicesterCanary said:

Not a binner, just been my experience at a number of games now. Maybe we are obnoxious but 90% of people round us seem to enjoy it. We are loud 

Were you the same group that attacked our fans at Watford for supporting the team during the game ? Just asking.

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Were you the same group that attacked our fans at Watford for supporting the team during the game ? Just asking.

We weren't far from that lot, saw it happen. But it's along the same lines as what I'm saying and part of why I posted. Bunch of  was giving it afters to a 16 year old after the game bunch of tossers

You carry on being loud mate, we do have far too many quiet fans at games for my liking being totally honest. 

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

Quite right.

How dare I question someone seeing a person behind them glaring. Or some youngster feeling intimidated by an old person glaring at them. Perhaps it was just a frown. Mind you it could have got nasty with the old boy breaking out into 'tut tut'

You should learn to recognise a wind up, and either join in or ignore rather than come across (yet again) as a pompous **** 🤣

I get satire, just not when you attempt it 🤷‍♂️