I think it is difficult - it is unclear how much they are paid and rated by the club.  Therefore I have making a load of assumptions on how much they are paid against there impact for the team.
Underrated - Gunn (One of our top performers but not paid so)

Overrated - Gibson (He has done well this season but is paid a lot)

This will be controversial I know but here goes,

Overrated Sara, because it’s easy to look good in an average squad like ours 

Underrated McCallum think he’s got potential and hopefully will now get a long run in the team with Dimi’s injury

Posted (edited)

Not too sure that I am keen on this thread. Sorry O/P. Well, the overrated part, in any case.

I thought that my own stance of only plucking out the negatives when necessary, eg. the 'Boro capitulation, was now shared by most, at least for the run in now that we do have a chance of the play-offs and are performing well.

Negative agendas against Wagner or the players would therefore be suspended until we see what the immediate future holds. Booing during games being even more unwelcome than ever and total support being the order of the day.

Singling out individual players for such denigration is therefore not really on.

At least they don't read this forum .... or do they?

Edited by BroadstairsR

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Underrated McCallum think he’s got potential and hopefully will now get a long run in the team with Dimi’s injury

All squads in the Championship must be average as well then.

His combination of work-rate, endeavour and Brazilian flair make him an outstanding acquisition. I shouldn't think many in the game think him overrated. Wasn't he in a recent Team of the Week" thingy? Not for the first time, either.

None of us should be classing City players against the average PL performer in such a way until they prove otherwise.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Stacey is so important to the way we play at the moment. I had/have doubts about his defending at times, but that's applicable to all our defenders.

Arguably overrated players are easier to spot when they aren't actually playing and are not being missed. Make of that what you will.

10 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Personally, and I realise this will upset some, well, many people, I don’t think Jonny Rowe is any more overrated than Wes. He also could have games where he was completely anonymous, sometimes but not always redeemed by moments of great skill. But looked through the lens of nostalgia we only remember the great stuff. I think we will look back at Rowe similarly, although sadly I don’t think he will play for us anything like as long as Wes.

Im not going to lie, this upset me. Wes was a great player. Jonny Rowe is capable of providing magic moments, but you cant really compare the two.

3 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

I mean, he's statistically the 4th best player in the championship on performance ratings.

And it's actually easier to perform in a better side (Leeds and Leicester players above him) because they have more of the ball and more quality to do things with it.

• Like 1

Appreciate the OP said current players - but I  maintain the most underrated player of my time supporting NCFC is Phil Mulryne. Up there with Emi, Wes and Crook for technical ability and could bend a free kick better than most too. 

Gary Holt is another who as I've got older I've grown to appreciate more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I mean, he's statistically the 4th best player in the championship on performance ratings.

And it's actually easier to perform in a better side (Leeds and Leicester players above him) because they have more of the ball and more quality to do things with it.

It's possible to be a very good player and still be overrated. I do think with Sara that we're so keen on some of the stuff he can do, we forget he's got some heavy-duty liabilities, especially in defensive awareness and this results in what I can best describe as a Pollyanna effect. Too much focus on what he's great at, whilst minimising where he has issues.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It's possible to be a very good player and still be overrated. I do think with Sara that we're so keen on some of the stuff he can do, we forget he's got some heavy-duty liabilities, especially in defensive awareness and this results in what I can best describe as a Pollyanna effect. Too much focus on what he's great at, whilst minimising where he has issues.

Possibly, but I don't think we can really overrate him at this level. If he didn't have the weaknesses you describe he already wouldn't be playing for us!

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Singling out individual players for such denigration is therefore not really on.

Can't speak for @Ulfotto but I very much read this thread as being about posters' opinions rather than the players themselves. I think the process by which we as individuals end up over- and underrating players is very interesting. Personally I find I am prone to defending Adam Idah and criticising Onel Hernandez, and therefore my judgments of both are laden with confirmation bias. I have to work quite hard to recognise Onel's qualities, and to accept that others' criticisms of Adam are justified.

And I think I'd say that the thread is interesting, too, with lots of thoughtful opinions about our footballers. Doesn't mean that the posters in question won't get behind them on a Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Appreciate the OP said current players - but I  maintain the most underrated player of my time supporting NCFC is Phil Mulryne. Up there with Emi, Wes and Crook for technical ability and could bend a free kick better than most too. 

Gary Holt is another who as I've got older I've grown to appreciate more. 

I loved both of them at the time so pleased to see Fr Mulryne and Three Lungs getting a name check here. Think you're probably right about Mulryne but not sure Gary Holt was underrated - he won player of the season the year we reached the play-off final. He was certainly unfairly criticised when we were in the PL, though - especially since it turned out that Three Lungs had actually been playing with one for most of the season.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Also when you have colleagues who are making good runs and getting into good spaces. I feel this is especially true for players like Sara, who have great vision and the ability to weight a pass perfectly. This, and his relative defensive weaknesses, are the reason I prefer him not to be the water carrier who ends up in the middle of our penalty area when we are playing it out from the back - I think Nunez or McLean are better at doing this and also we don't lose so much of Sara's potential going forward.

• Like 1

Underrated- McLean at CB. Phenomenal and should start there each week.

Overrated- McLean in midfield. Offered very little statistically over his 5000 games there.

• Like 2

Underrated Delia

Overrated Attanasio

Sorensen & McCallum both underrated, both have to be considered underused. Both far better than some fans credit them.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Can't speak for @Ulfotto but I very much read this thread as being about posters' opinions rather than the players themselves. I think the process by which we as individuals end up over- and underrating players is very interesting. Personally I find I am prone to defending Adam Idah and criticising Onel Hernandez, and therefore my judgments of both are laden with confirmation bias. I have to work quite hard to recognise Onel's qualities, and to accept that others' criticisms of Adam are justified.

And I think I'd say that the thread is interesting, too, with lots of thoughtful opinions about our footballers. Doesn't mean that the posters in question won't get behind them on a Saturday.

Very much this, I gave an opinion that I think Sara is overrated, it’s MY opinion, that’s all. It’s not a slight on him in any way, but I do think too many people only look through yellow and Green glasses. I can only go by highlights too, but I do think many people won’t accept people can have different opinions to themselves. 

Many times this season, during our bad spell especially, I read on here people criticising Sara saying he’s not done this or that as well as he could have. 

Once again to be clear it’s only my own opinion that’s all 

Overrated - Gunn

Definitely improved decent shot stopper and generally safe hands but he is a good rather than great keeper for me. But his good run of form has seen him overhyped not least by his TNC mates. I still think he could come for more crosses and he parries when he could catch (although this is modern keeper coaching) which he has got away with a bit.

As a general point he doesn’t seem that commanding or organising - there was some stick for Hanley on this recently but it needs to come from the keeper too.

Glad we have him and a good keeper but that doesn’t mean he is not overrated IMO

Underrated - Kenny

For some still a begrudging acceptance he is playing well.

Going further back I have banged the drum on this before but felt David Fox was very underrated and his intelligence and positioning meant he did well as the defensive midfielder whilst Howson was overrated and didn’t dominate games for all his ability with BJ Tettey and Wes more important to us. Great finisher tho and some highlights reel goals

1 minute ago, Fifty said:

Overrated - Gunn

Definitely improved decent shot stopper and generally safe hands but he is a good rather than great keeper for me. But his good run of form has seen him overhyped not least by his TNC mates. I still think he could come for more crosses and he parries when he could catch (although this is modern keeper coaching) which he has got away with a bit.

As a general point he doesn’t seem that commanding or organising - there was some stick for Hanley on this recently but it needs to come from the keeper too.

Glad we have him and a good keeper but that doesn’t mean he is not overrated IMO

Underrated - Kenny

For some still a begrudging acceptance he is playing well.

Going further back I have banged the drum on this before but felt David Fox was very underrated and his intelligence and positioning meant he did well as the defensive midfielder whilst Howson was overrated and didn’t dominate games for all his ability with BJ Tettey and Wes more important to us. Great finisher tho and some highlights reel goals

Wouldn't just say that's modern coaching, that's modern conditions. Modern balls swing around a hell of a lot more than their older counterparts and it's much easier to hit them with some degree of swerve. Makes far more sense that goalies focus more on pushing/punching balls out of danger instead if they're swinging around that much.

I do agree that for such a tall goalie, he stays at home a lot.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

That is sentiment for the post it is very much about appreciation who gets too much praise and who gets too little. I hate criticism of the players as i actually think this group this season is trying really hard and you can’t criticise the effort and application of any of them.

If someone wants to start a historical over and underrated thread that would be good.

Paul McVeigh in his first spell at the club was massively underrated 

Edited by Ulfotto
  • Like 1

Underrated - Hernandez

He gets so much stick from fans but his ability to open up defences with physicality and skill is second to none - defenders absolutely hate him. Would have a lot more assists without some criminal misses from teammates earlier in the season. 

If he could actually shoot he'd be unstoppable...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Underrated - Gunn, Sorensen and Barnes.

Massively overrated by some, Hanley and Gibson. Worst centre back pairing in the league.

All the best.

Criminally Underrated Big Keith Scott.

Edited by Keith Scott

I don’t get Barnes being underrated! He’s terrible in front of goal his last goal was a fluke, he fell over his own feet and luckily the ball fell at his foot!

For me overrated by a very large section of fans who IMO value a fight in a player than actual skill and effectiveness!

Overrated......Perpetual free season tickets for holders of 1000 or more shares.

underrated.....The  fun we've had since he started his whining and climbs further out on the branch of stupidity, desperstely looking for allies thaat one by one turn their backs on the peurile campaign . One day he'll realise how unimportant he is, but until then we'll enjoy his cringeworthy efforts.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Think you're probably right about Mulryne but not sure Gary Holt was underrated - he won player of the season the year we reached the play-off final. 

That's fair. I think perhaps at the time I didn't rate him. I now am much more appreciative of his abilities. Maybe more underrated in my personal opinion rather than the NCFC fanbase as a whole.

• Like 1