10 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

That's what a lot of people think, but Howson got to the ball and Sainz was reading this and sliding in front.

The spin is Sainz trying to curl his body around to nick the ball from in front, i just grabbed it again in better quality, hopefully this shows it better:

ezgif-4-70977f7b5e.gif

That's a better video.

I'll be honest, I thought you had it wrong and Sainz got the ball because I could see his leg in front of Howsons but when you zoom in you can see Howson makes the ball first (marginally) and lifts it over Sainz leg. Good work 👍

6 minutes ago, scoop said:

That's a better video.

I'll be honest, I thought you had it wrong and Sainz got the ball because I could see his leg in front of Howsons but when you zoom in you can see Howson makes the ball first (marginally) and lifts it over Sainz leg. Good work 👍

He's still responsible for his other leg, though. He does get to the ball first, but goes in two-footed and the other one plants straight on the back of Sainz's knee. When both feet are off the ground simultaneously, you have no control over your momentum.

I get lots of stick for this as a referee at local level... someone leaves the ground and jumps in, wins the ball 'cleanly' with both feet off the ground and studs showing (even though it's not 'two footed' with both feet flying into the tackle together), and I blow for a free-kick even though he's made no contact with an opponent. Player goes nuts and starts berating me, then I tell him that if he'd made any contact whatsoever with an opponent, he'd be getting a straight red. 

Usually after a quick chat, they can see where I'm coming from.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, scoop said:

That's a better video.

I must be going mad as I can’t see that at all, perhaps from a different angle it is clear.

I dont think there was really a foul either way, just 2 players competing for the same ball

What Howson did next however was pathetic, overshadowed only by the act of a weak spineless gulible weasel of a referee who clearly doesnt know the game

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Ffs, all this is nonsense! Every set of fans moans about the ref when he gets things wrong and say he should be stopped from refereeing, why? I’d love to meet a human being who’s never made a mistake in his life!

If the EFL/FA listened to every set of bleating fans there would be no games played as all the refs would be sacked if they had their way!

Yes, it was a harsh decision but how many people on here are actually qualified refs? You have a split second to make a decision and a lot of the problem nowadays is too much fast tracking to higher levels. Instead give these guys longer times between each level. 

Really glad that someone is prepared to stick their neck out and say this.

The human brain has a negativity bias, that's just science. As football fans we remember bad decisions that go against us very clearly, but ones that go in our favour just get filed under 'well the ref got that one right', and then forgotten about.

Every weekend I see this when I referee at local level. You'll get probably 20 or 30 'contentious' decisions in every match, from throw-ins all the way up to red cards and penalties, and some teams/players just suck it up and get on with it, whereas others are determined to make a 'rap sheet' of every single 50/50 that goes against them and use it as a stick to beat you with.

Transfer that mentality to professional football where you have thousands of fans watching and judging, and acting with a herd mentality, and the poor refs don't stand a chance.

Of course you get bad refs who seem to actively court controversy (Andy D'Urso and Keith Stroud are two that spring to mind), but fans and fanbases will remember individual occurrences for time immemorial and just never let it go. Simon Hooper is now a reasonably decent PL referee – not good enough to get on the FIFA list or get the top matches – but we will always remember him as the idiot who disallowed Jerome's overhead kick against Palace (which was an appalling decision), and that's curtains for him whenever he referees Norwich.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

The human brain has a negativity bias, that's just science. As football fans we remember bad decisions that go against us very clearly, but ones that go in our favour just get filed under 'well the ref got that one right', and then forgotten about.

Every weekend I see this when I referee at local level. You'll get probably 30 or 40 'contentious' decisions in every match, from throw-ins all the way up to red cards and penalties, and some teams/players just suck it up and get on with it, whereas others are determined to make a 'rap sheet' of every single 50/50 that goes against them and use it as a stick to beat you with.

Transfer that mentality to professional football where you have thousands of fans watching and judging, and acting with a herd mentality, and the poor refs don't stand a chance.

Of course you get bad refs who seem to actively court controversy (Andy D'Urso and Keith Stroud are two that spring to mind), but fans and fanbases will remember individual occurrences for time immemorial and just never let it go. Simon Hooper is now a reasonably decent PL referee – not good enough to get on the FIFA list or get the top matches – but we will always remember him as the idiot who disallowed Jerome's overhead kick against Palace (which was an appalling decision), and that's curtains for him whenever he referees Norwich.

There are plenty of decisions that go for and against every team in every match.....however you probably only get one or two incidents like this in a whole season which is blatantly wrong and affects the whole course if the rest of the match which costs your club the game.

Thats why they are remembered

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

There are plenty of decisions that go for and against every team in every match.....however you probably only get one or two incidents like this in a whole season which is blatantly wrong and affects the whole course if the rest of the match which costs your club the game.

Thats why they are remembered

30-odd contentious decisions every match, 40-odd matches a season... that's more than 1,000 contentious decisions. It's not reasonable to expect referees to never make mistakes, just as the best players will make awful mistakes every now and again. I was a fan and a player for many years before I was a referee, so I understand how it works.

But you can't complain about the standard of refereeing when the fans who are judging those referees are inherently biased.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I passed the refs exam. Not sure if that makes me “qualified” or what definition you use 
Making mistakes and offering yourself up as a professional ref are massively different . Madley was a professional , on the prem list , until he got sacked . For sending text messages about disabled people. 

Defend him as much as you like . He is a **** of the highest order . 

May I just point out that this is NOT true.

It was a video, not a text.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

He's still responsible for his other leg, though. He does get to the ball first, but goes in two-footed and the other one plants straight on the back of Sainz's knee. When both feet are off the ground simultaneously, you have no control over your momentum.

I think that's the problem, as he can't do much with that left leg if he's still going to make contact with the ball.  At which point it could be argued that he's not in full control.   It doesn't plant into Sainz though, they both turn away and allow their bodies to ease up to prevent hurting themselves.

It's this idea that he was going in with malice and deserves a red I don't subscribe to.

I'd love to know what the refs original decision was going to be before Howson did turn into an utter turd, though.

Edited by Google Bot

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

I think that's the problem, as he can't do much with that left leg if he's still going to make contact with the ball.  At which point it could be argued that he's not in full control.

However, this idea that he was going in with malice and deserves a red I don't subscribe to.

I'd love to know what the refs original decision was going to be before Howson did turn into a turd.

The left leg does seem to deviate towards Sainz, as far as I can see. I think he wanted to stick one on him, as Ayling had done earlier... definitely looked like they were trying to target him. But it's all academic now anyway; justice has been served, and Sainz has still never received a straight red card in his career that's been upheld. His slate is clean, he's a top player, and tomorrow we can take a big step towards the top six. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

The left leg does seem to deviate towards Sainz, as far as I can see. I think he wanted to stick one on him, as Ayling had done earlier... definitely looked like they were trying to target him. But it's all academic now anyway; justice has been served, and Sainz has still never received a straight red card in his career that's been upheld. His slate is clean, he's a top player, and tomorrow we can take a big step towards the top six. Onwards and upwards.

It hasn't been served at all. The most important thing was the three points, which we lost from being a player down for the rest of the game.

Ultimately, if we finish up a point off of the play offs then this decision will have potentially cost the club millions.

That's why there should be VAR in the Championship as well as the Premier League; the stakes are too high to allow this sort of sloppiness.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 2

Can I just add that the situation was compounded by another useless ref missing a blatant handball for Hull's goal the previous evening. A certain Mr. Stroud ....

12 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Every weekend I see this when I referee at local level. You'll get probably 20 or 30 'contentious' decisions in every match, from throw-ins all the way up to red cards and penalties, and some teams/players just suck it up and get on with it, whereas others are determined to make a 'rap sheet' of every single 50/50 that goes against them and use it as a stick to beat you with.

You are so right FTW, but as I’ve been slated on another thread for my views, whilst I agree with you all those supporter refs don’t actually know what it’s like in the middle whatever level you’ve done it at. I used to ref in the local leagues and agree with you in everything you say. I gave it up due to politics with the local FA though, I loved every minute of it but had to get out for my mental health. 

The refs nowadays put up with so much it’s unreal tbh, they are human beings and make mistakes which they try to learn from but as you rightly say fans never forget sadly. I am sure if something happens today in our favour it won’t be mentioned but as I say it’s human nature sadly nowadays to focus on bad things, and get nasty towards people. I’d love to meet any human being who’s never made a mistake in their lives, and at the end of the day it’s only football not life and death like you’d think it was with how some people respond to things on here sadly 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/03/2024 at 17:45, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I just gave Ivan Toney a call. He said 1.1 draw. Might be worth a couple of quid. 

Thank you Ivan!  £14 added to the Lego fund

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 08/03/2024 at 16:40, TheBaldOne66 said:

Grow up ffs

Spot on regarding ref's only being humans, their not robots, they mess up just like we do in our jobs from time to time, its life, it happens, we move on.

Edited by Spillay
Clicked on the wrong quote, apologies.

On 08/03/2024 at 16:28, Robert N. LiM said:

Can any of the techies on here get to work on hacking into his Snapchat? There's bound to be something incriminating on there. 

Your edit reminded me of when Jennifer Taylor Clark tells David off for telling jokes at the Swindon intro party 

On 08/03/2024 at 21:53, Feedthewolf said:

30-odd contentious decisions every match, 40-odd matches a season... that's more than 1,000 contentious decisions. It's not reasonable to expect referees to never make mistakes, just as the best players will make awful mistakes every now and again. I was a fan and a player for many years before I was a referee, so I understand how it works.

But you can't complain about the standard of refereeing when the fans who are judging those referees are inherently biased.

I think you’re right, it’s only contentious if it goes against your team and most of the time football fans want every decision to go for their team. 

I have a couple of lads who sit behind me at FCR who constantly slate the officials without any real basis or knowledge of the laws of the game. 

In the Sainz case, Madeley has made an honest call based on the fact Sainz leg swung around and caught howson above knee height. He had one angle and didn’t have the benefit of 24 different angles, a VAR review room or an action replay. 

In essence he’s made what he’s believed to be the right call on the night, he would’ve almost definitely been involved in the appeal process and after review admitted he’d made an error and the decision has been reversed. 

Whether or not he deserves to be reffing based on his private WA activity is another question - I would hazard a guess we’ve all got something a little bit risqué on our phones sent from a group chat but granted he has to be a bit careful if he’s in the public eye 

30 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Your edit reminded me of when Jennifer Taylor Clark tells David off for telling jokes at the Swindon intro party 

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I don't agree with that in the workplace

Imagine if Eric was a Los Angeles detective. Be a bit weird, wouldn't it? 'Um, yeah.. One final thing, my wife loves you.. and I don't agree with that in a workplace!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Satriales said:

Imagine if Eric was a Los Angeles detective. Be a bit weird, wouldn't it? 'Um, yeah.. One final thing, my wife loves you.. and I don't agree with that in a workplace!

Uh-oh

7 hours ago, Satriales said:

WHO here has been to the Coventry conference? 

On 08/03/2024 at 21:10, Northluck C said:

I think I’m right in saying the PGMOL and EFL release their appointments each Monday for the entire week ahead. Therefore Madley would have been appointed to Coventry v Watford on Monday this week, before the Middlesbrough debacle. Yes, they probably could’ve taken him off the game if they really wanted to, but it might be more telling to look out for wherever he gets appointed to (if anywhere) next week.

Just to follow up on this, in case anyone still cares - there is no appointment for Madley anywhere this weekend. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Northluck C said:

Just to follow up on this, in case anyone still cares - there is no appointment for Madley anywhere this weekend. 

Thanks Northluck . Interesting . It was a clanger of epic proportion. No surprise if he is quietly removed from the scene for a week or two. 

19 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Thanks Northluck . Interesting . It was a clanger of epic proportion. No surprise if he is quietly removed from the scene for a week or two. 

They had Mike Dean's thoughts on it on Sky Buildup on Saturday. Basically said he 'Bobby' shouldn't give what he hasn't seen. He did see blood ('claret'- lol!) however and Dean thought that might have clouded his decision. Clinton Morrison went apoplectic! He came back at Dean and said he was at the game and it turned it on its head. Norwich were in control. Dean tried to defend that by stating justice prevailed and the card rescinded - which of course helps not one jot....  

3 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

They had Mike Dean's thoughts on it on Sky Buildup on Saturday. Basically said he 'Bobby' shouldn't give what he hasn't seen. He did see blood ('claret'- lol!) however and Dean thought that might have clouded his decision. Clinton Morrison went apoplectic! He came back at Dean and said he was at the game and it turned it on its head. Norwich were in control. Dean tried to defend that by stating justice prevailed and the card rescinded - which of course helps not one jot....  

First rule of being a ref . Don’t guess. 

PS what blood did he see? 

3 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Wagner’s blood boiling, presumably 😳

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Dunno, Dean sees things a lot of people can't. He even used to see things that didn't exist at all.....

What I see is that is all about him. Worst pundit on Sky.

Edited by Foxy2600
spelling

11 hours ago, Foxy2600 said:

Dunno, Dean sees things a lot of people can't. He even used to see things that didn't exist at all.....

What I see is that is all about him. Worst pundit on Sky.

Nope . Mike Dean was the ref for our playoff final and didn’t give a foul against Ayala. Most refs that early would . Great decision. Best ref on the planet. 

• Thanks 1