Seen quite a few people recently say that Hanley is a poor captain.

If not him then who?

Just promote McLean to captain?

11 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Seen quite a few people recently say that Hanley is a poor captain.

If not him then who?

Just promote McLean to captain?

Gunn? Don't see many GK captain's these days. 

Posted (edited)

McLean or Barnes for me.  Probably Barnes on reflection, as Kenny already having to do enough in games, whereas I think Barnes would relish being made captain.  Depends who wants it really, i'd imagine that it just falls on Hanley as he's non too fussed about it.

Don't think it really matters a great deal though, in all fairness.  Maybe behind the scenes it does in regards to who speaks to the manager on 'group' subjects(?).

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

Probably Kenny next year with Duffy as Vice. 

8 hours ago, Google Bot said:

McLean or Barnes for me.  Probably Barnes on reflection, as Kenny already having to do enough in games, whereas I think Barnes would relish being made captain.  Depends who wants it really, i'd imagine that it just falls on Hanley as he's non too fussed about it.

Don't think it really matters a great deal though, in all fairness.  Maybe behind the scenes it does in regards to who speaks to the manager on 'group' subjects(?).

Much as Barnes being captain makes sense only issues with Barnes is he does get a little too fiery at times and that he tends to always be off the pitch by the 60th minute.

My only gripe with Hanley is the lack of reaction to goals conceded. Little look to the sky, hands on hips, turns around and heads back to the halfway line. Obviously there's no need for theatrics but he comes across like concessions are inevitable.

I'd personally leave it with McLean for this season and take a view in summer, as every player you could argue for has a decent argument against as well 

• Like 1

Unless we sign a new player with specific captain qualities, I'd stick with Hanley. As someone said yesterday (possibly Hoggy?), all of Farke, Smith and Wagner have praised Hanley's leadership qualities and importance in and around the dressing room. If we did decide to shake it up, Kenny is the obvious candidate – he plays every minute of every match and never hides.

Always struck me as odd that Kenny got stick for 'pointing' – he's clearly trusted by his fellow pros to help implement the manager's instructions on the pitch, so he'd be a natural successor if Hanley leaves the club, steps down from the captaincy or is removed from the role.

• Like 2

Kenny is a shining example to the rest of the squad how to maintain position and not pass to the opposition. 

• Haha 1

Pick the team first and the captain from that, not the other way round.

Once Duffy is it fit Hanley doesn't get in the team. So it's McLean.

The reality is players should be marshaling their zones so Gunn keeps the back 4 switched on, Gibbo makes sure they are Iine, McLean makes sure gaps in midfield are filled and Barnes keeps the attacking momentum going.

Captaincy in football is massively overrated in this country. This isn't cricket: the captain isn't involved in on-field tactics to anything like the same extent. And you shouldn't need the armband to be a leader: we need leaders all over the pitch. Couldn't care less who the captain is, it's a non-issue.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Unless we sign a new player with specific captain qualities, I'd stick with Hanley. As someone said yesterday (possibly Hoggy?), all of Farke, Smith and Wagner have praised Hanley's leadership qualities and importance in and around the dressing room. If we did decide to shake it up, Kenny is the obvious candidate – he plays every minute of every match and never hides.

Always struck me as odd that Kenny got stick for 'pointing' – he's clearly trusted by his fellow pros to help implement the manager's instructions on the pitch, so he'd be a natural successor if Hanley leaves the club, steps down from the captaincy or is removed from the role.

Trouble is,football's not played in the dressing room.Its played on a pitch,and you need someone who can galvanize players when the chips are down. Hanley is not that player.

Oh for a Malky or Duncan!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Trouble is,football's not played in the dressing room.Its played on a pitch,and you need someone who can galvanize players when the chips are down. Hanley is not that player.

Oh for a Malky or Duncan!!

Perhaps, then, there's a case for Hanley being 'club captain' and Kenny or someone else taking on the role of 'team captain'. I think Russell Martin was 'club captain' for a while, if memory serves?

Duffy, Barnes Hanley should be nowhere near a team hoping to play Premiership football next season  let alone captain 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Andrew Omobamidele.

( Now that he's long gone, I can finally spell his name correctly, I think.)

Edited by BroadstairsR

Without being privy to changing room and training ground discussion and dynamics hard to say, however on the pitch Kenny would get my vote

Kenny or Duffy for me.

Hanley as club captain and put Hernandez in the captain canary suit……sadly that’s the only roles either of those two should have next year and I’d hope we will have brought replacements for both on the pitch.