1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Hull look very good. Signings starting to bed in.. I think they might be the side to sew up 5th then us or Cov for 6th. Think West Brom might drop off.

Doubt that. They've been top six all season and are thumping Plymouth away tonight. Tight between them, Hull, Coventry and us but I see us being edged out by Coventry. 

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

Oh, Pen for Rotherham!

and converted. Satisfactory result against the bottom of the table team (assume Rotherham hold out of course!)

2 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

and converted. Satisfactory result against the bottom of the table team (assume Rotherham hold out of course!)

'Foot in mouth'!

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Oop, Scum have pulled it out the bag.  ***.

Another star on the badge for that!

What a poor night of results

That 94th min winner for Hull at Huddersfield on Saturday was a blow because without that I doubt they then go on to win at Southampton tonight .

4 and 3 points off WBA and Hull with the same games played. We're back in territory where a slip could prove a gap too far.

Must get our away forn sorted, started at Blackburn. Tonights the night where we really see the damage done by dropping 2 pts at a bottom 3 team in QPR.

• Like 1

Ipswich have the annoying look of us under Lambert. Individually not all that but motivated and keep fighting til the death. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Doubt that. They've been top six all season and are thumping Plymouth away tonight. Tight between them, Hull, Coventry and us but I see us being edged out by Coventry. 

Yeah maybe not a good call actually! 4 decent teams for the last two spots then..

At least everyone is back on equal games played.  Tonights results were worse case scenario coming true, but there's also been many results in the past few weeks that have gone in our favour, without them we'd have lost hope.

In that time we've redeveloped our belief and a taste for the top six, and there's enough about us to put a consistent run together. 

39 points still up for grabs, Game on!

I cannot recall a more lucky, undeserving, spawny side than this Ipswich side. And when you look at their next 5 or 6 fixtures they have been handed the sort of p**s easy run of games that is the stuff of dreams. Their fixtures this season have given them several such runs to build momentum. Everything going their way.

In other news Hulls result is ominous as they have gone for it in the Jan transfer window and the attacking players they have brought in are starting to pay off. I note also that Celtic winger we were linked with was snapped up by West Brom and is becoming influential. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I cannot recall a more lucky, undeserving, spawny side than this Ipswich side. And when you look at their next 5 or 6 fixtures they have been handed the sort of p**s easy run of games that is the stuff of dreams. Their fixtures this season have given them several such runs to build momentum. Everything going their way.

You've clearly got a short memory- I remember opposition fans saying the exact same thing about us under Lambert.

Back then the argument was scoring late goals isn't lucky, its down to hard work, fitness and attitude. The same is true now. 

I don't like Ipswich and I don't want them to go up but to pretend they aren't actually good this season is a bit silly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

You've clearly got a short memory- I remember opposition fans saying the exact same thing about us under Lambert.

Back then the argument was scoring late goals isn't lucky, its down to hard work, fitness and attitude. The same is true now. 

I don't like Ipswich and I don't want them to go up but to pretend they aren't actually good this season is a bit silly.

They aren’t a bad side, but they have had exceptional amounts of good fortune. I’m not just talking about late goals, just winning games they really do not deserve to. When the momentum is with you then luck goes your way I suppose.

They are a difficult team to assess. I've watched a couple of their games and there doesn't seem to be any outstanding performers but work well as a team when in attack.

They are clearly well-coached and that's why them losing McBinna is their main concern, and our main hope.

Their defence will need a major overhaul should they go up. Whilst their engine room and captain, Morsy, in midfield, will be about 34 next season.

They will need to buy big.

By contrast, if we go up and hold on to our main assets: Sargent, Sara, Rowe, Gunn, Saintz and possibly Nunez along with Kenny and other stalwarts we would seem to be better equipped, imo.

I suspect that we might well also have a better crop of youngsters who are more oven ready than they have due to our superior Academy and development and training facilities at Colney.

Edit. I have just investigated the ITFC training ground and it is called Playford Road. Apparently it is limited, even still using Portakabins. Possibly similar to Colney when Webber arrived. 

They haven't even got a Soccerbot for goodness’ sake!

Edited by BroadstairsR

18 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

They aren’t a bad side, but they have had exceptional amounts of good fortune. I’m not just talking about late goals, just winning games they really do not deserve to. When the momentum is with you then luck goes your way I suppose.

I've not watched them extensively but the games I have seen they've had bits of luck here and there but nothing out of the ordinary.

Out of interest I looked at an xG table vs expected and they are apparently third in terms of overperforming their xG, joint with....us!

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I've not watched them extensively but the games I have seen they've had bits of luck here and there but nothing out of the ordinary.

Out of interest I looked at an xG table vs expected and they are apparently third in terms of overperforming their xG, joint with....us!

Like you say its annoyingly similar to Lambert. I'd agree their side doesn't have the top quality of the sides around them but arguably neither did our Lambert side.

Just now, hogesar said:

Like you say its annoyingly similar to Lambert. I'd agree their side doesn't have the top quality of the sides around them but arguably neither did our Lambert side.

Yeah exactly. I'm not sure if they have any individuals of the quality of Sara, Rowe or Sargent who you can see a Premier League club playing £15m+ for but they have a system that allows their players to be more than the sum of their parts and you have to respect that.

I think @BroadstairsR is spot on that McKenna is the driving force both through tactics and motivation. If they don't go up this year and McKenna ends up at West Ham or similar then I think they'll probably be a midtable team at best next season.

45 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'll be quite jealous, but it doesn't really bother me if they went up AND stayed up.  I say this as it challenges us to do better, and shows what is possible, as we're very similar clubs.

If it weren't for Farke and Leeds potential to knock Ipswich out of the top 2 we'd all be hating on them right now.  Likewise if we weren't City supporters we'd all be saying how great it is to see what Ipswich are doing.

I think it's good, personally.  And it helps no end that they've been missing for so many years as I really have no dislike built up for either them as fans or their players - This may change massively come first week of April though! 🙂

Them taking second and us going up through playoffs would be incredible for the local derby to be played in the top flight again.  Very very slim chance, but it's possible.

Edited by Google Bot

7 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Them taking second and us going up through playoffs would be incredible for the local derby to be played in the top flight again.  Very very slim chance, but it's possible.

It probably wouldn't even be picked for TV. Knowing Sky they would probably choose Bournemouth vs Crystal Palace or some other equally dull fixture.

If we can win at Blackburn, and with Hull and WBA due to play each other, the most we can be is one point off the top six with twelve games to go. Let's face it, if someone had told us that three months ago, we'd have laughed in their face.

COYY!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Don’t let the blue mist get you down Jim. Football’s cyclical. Maybe these are their days in the sun. We’ve had a fair number of those since 1972.

Not sure how much luck plays a part. It certainly does if you’re too young to remember some of our better seasons.  Some might say we were lucky with some of our results under managers like Lambert and Farke. I don’t think plays much of a part as things even themselves out over time even if it’s several years. Wearing the yellow and green specs does of course paint a different picture against those not emotionally involved.

For what it’s worth I think Ipswich will just miss out on automatic promotion. Let’s hope we’re there to have a say in what follows in the Play-Offs.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Yeah we've both outperformed xG on the attacking front, but also they have conceded about 10 more goals than their xG against whereas we are only 1 or 2 goals over ours. That means their goal difference is actually quite close to expected, but not in the way you'd expect. 

Just from glancing at the table on fbref I think we're 2nd overall in terms of goal difference vs xGD. Leicester are top with a difference of 12.4 (which is starting from a very high base already) and we are just behind with 10.4 goals over expected.

11 minutes ago, repman said:

Yeah we've both outperformed xG on the attacking front, but also they have conceded about 10 more goals than their xG against whereas we are only 1 or 2 goals over ours. That means their goal difference is actually quite close to expected, but not in the way you'd expect. 

Just from glancing at the table on fbref I think we're 2nd overall in terms of goal difference vs xGD. Leicester are top with a difference of 12.4 (which is starting from a very high base already) and we are just behind with 10.4 goals over expected.

Crikey didn't realise that on the defensive side for them.