Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Jonathan Tomkinson, one for next season?

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What a dumb move, how can he complain or act shocked?

He’s 19, he’ll learn. On loan is the best place to do it.

I think in fairness he was trying to bodycheck the guy and got it all wrong.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Bit silly by Hills, but overall he's done really well at Accrington and they love him up there. He's the sort of larger than life character who's always in the thick of the action.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Bit silly by Hills, but overall he's done really well at Accrington and they love him up there. He's the sort of larger than life character who's always in the thick of the action.

Definitely - you can look at many incidents in isolation and think ‘wtf’, but he’s done pretty well up there.  I don’t think he’s a stranger to getting cards, though.

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

Amateur hour, that one. Nowhere near hard enough. If you're going for the body check at least smack the wind out of them.

(Aim for the floating rib instead of the chest. Just trust me on this one).

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Haha 2

Anyone know what happened to Lewis Shipley? He went up there on loan with Hills, but hasn't been in the squad recently. Injured, I guess?

As far as our Academy production line goes, CBs seem to be the new goalkeepers... we've got bags of 'em! With Warner, Hills, Shipley, Tomlinson and Adegboyega out on loan, not to mention the current U23 pairing of McIntosh and Wilson, I'm confident that we'll have at least one or two ready to step up next season once the squad thins out (I'd imagine we'll keep hold of Duffy and Hanley, but presumably Batth will go and I doubt we'd be offering Gibbo a new contract unless it's on drastically reduced wages).

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Anyone know what happened to Lewis Shipley? He went up there on loan with Hills, but hasn't been in the squad recently. Injured, I guess?

As far as our Academy production line goes, CBs seem to be the new goalkeepers... we've got bags of 'em! With Warner, Hills, Shipley, Tomlinson and Adegboyega out on loan, not to mention the current U23 pairing of McIntosh and Wilson, I'm confident that we'll have at least one or two ready to step up next season once the squad thins out (I'd imagine we'll keep hold of Duffy and Hanley, but presumably Batth will go and I doubt we'd be offering Gibbo a new contract unless it's on drastically reduced wages).

Shipley played the full 90 minutes for Accrington yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Shipley played the full 90 minutes for Accrington yesterday. 

Ah, right! Good to hear. Pretty sure he's missed a few, though. Has he been playing LB for them, do you know? I think he can play either left or centre, but doubt they'd want to play two complete newbies together in the middle...

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I posted last week that I have two Bradford City season ticket holder friends (plus my youngest son) and they give me regular updates on Jonathan. He was described as "outstanding" by fans in the last match with a particular ability to recover position with speed - he prevented two goals in the previous match.

He is now being played in central defence (having been more of a RB at times) and is very well regarded by his team mates and manager. It's a great experience playing against some really hard League 2 strikers, many who've been around the block - at least once! Can't recall which team but one lad came on as sub and asked rhe Bradford defence who was up for a fight.

I expect Adams is right on it. Hills too has had a match where he was made captain for Accrington....at such a young age. For both this is exactly the kind of experience they need. I don't know if they can make it with us but the signs look positive. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Ah, right! Good to hear. Pretty sure he's missed a few, though. Has he been playing LB for them, do you know? I think he can play either left or centre, but doubt they'd want to play two complete newbies together in the middle...

I actually had a look for Shipley on Transfermarkt yesterday and all bar one of his appearances (14, I think it was) have been put down as left back. They're usually accurate but no guarantees. 

• Thanks 1

It would be really helpful to us, particularly if we're still in this division, if one of our young centre backs could step up to the plate next season and fill a place in the squad. Baath will clearly be released, and likely Gibson unless he takes a hefty pay cut, and we've got other priorities to spend transfer fees on.

If we sneak up via the play offs however I suspect we'll acquire somebody for a fee and these players will go back out on loan, perhaps a league higher than their current loans.

3 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Wouldn't be surprised if McLean's basically the Gibson replacement.

If we fail to get promoted I think we will see him playing for us next season, as I can’t see the extension in Batth’s contract being activated, and if Gibson and Hanley are kept probably being used more as backup than starters as Knapper wants to create a younger squad. If we win the playoffs though, I think he will be sent out on loan again along with all our other players currently out on loan

Edited by HazzaJet

I went to the Stanley game against Wrexham before Christmas and sitting near the home dugout I could hear Hills geeing up his teammates to stay focused and keep a clean sheet, which they did ( helped by a stoppage time penalty miss!).

Stanley fans really rate him. He was up against Paul Mullin, who is probably the best striker in league two, and won that battle.
Shipley did a solid job at left back, doing his share of attacking too.

McCracken, now on loan at Dundee, was in goal and did well.

All in all, the two defenders look to be getting valuable playing time under an experienced manager which should help their careers.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Monty13 said:

He’s 19, he’ll learn. On loan is the best place to do it.

I think in fairness he was trying to bodycheck the guy and got it all wrong.

I’m usually one that will leap to the defence of our players but I’ve got nothing for that one, stonewall red card 

11 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

If we fail to get promoted I think we will see him playing for us next season, as I can’t see the extension in Batth’s contract being activated, and if Gibson and Hanley are kept probably being used more as backup than starters as Knapper wants to create a younger squad. If we win the playoffs though, I think he will be sent out on loan again along with all our other players currently out on loan

Exactly this.

One of the dilemma's for Knapper as he must already be planning for next season. He must have two list's; one for promotion and who to keep, and one for a big push in the champs next time and which players from the current squad he can use.

9 hours ago, Newtopia said:

They do seem to be doing well, are any of them left footed?

Good question. One presumes Shipley is as he's been mostly playing at LB, not sure about the others though. Anyone know whether any of Hills, Warner, Tomkinson or Adegboyega are left-footed?

• Like 1

Would be nice to think that should we be in the Championship next year then four or five of these promising youngsters might be in and around the matchday squad more often than not. 

3 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Good question. One presumes Shipley is as he's been mostly playing at LB, not sure about the others though. Anyone know whether any of Hills, Warner, Tomkinson or Adegboyega are left-footed?

Shipley is left footed. The 4 central defenders are all right footed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Yobocop said:

I’m usually one that will leap to the defence of our players but I’ve got nothing for that one, stonewall red card 

Not defending him I agree, just naive really.