cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Canaries V Hornets*

It's amazing how, yet again, some fans seem somewhat unhappy that we're having a fairly decent time of it overall. Very enjoyable, unpredictable game, but It's almost like having their opinions and predictions validated is more important than the club doing well.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Seems so obvious. You play Sargent and Nunez from the start, then, when you have to take Sarge off, you bring on van Hooijdonk and Barnes. Then Barnes can play as the 10.

Yep, 100 percent my thoughts.

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

some fans seem somewhat unhappy

For the record, I've decided to find it hilarious

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Seems so obvious. You play Sargent and Nunez from the start, then, when you have to take Sarge off, you bring on van Hooijdonk and Barnes. Then Barnes can play as the 10.

Pretty much how I see it! 

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Let’s hope not, last thing we need is a Sarge injury.

I suspect he is still carrying an injury, needs to be looked after, if we can keep him fit we could well end up finishing in top 6, without him it’s highly unlikely IMO

18 minutes ago, sonyc said:

It's a complete enigma. His selections, his subs and so on. What a weird season.

But I will say this whatever, Wagner has created a resilient team....very much so. We can't ever say the team aren't playing for him.

I think without doubt he's the weirdest manager we've ever had if nothing else.

• Like 1

Great game. Feared the worst when they pulled it back to 2-2 mind you. What I’d give for a couple of routine 2-0 wins, would be far better for the blood pressure 

• Like 2

Has it occurred to the numpties on here that Wagner with a career in top level football might just know more about the attributes of his players than the ‘experts’ who post on this forum and routinely demonstrate that they know absolutely FA about the game,

• Like 3

Quite a bizarre game - from being in total control and 2-0 up to throwing away a two goal lead with some silly mistakes and then suddenly finding something in the drawer again to wrap it up - great win and to get into 6th but we really are a schizophrenic team

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's amazing how, yet again, some fans seem somewhat unhappy that we're having a fairly decent time of it overall. Very enjoyable, unpredictable game, but It's almost like having their opinions and predictions validated is more important than the club doing well.

I don't think it's this at all, we played well early on when we were attacking them whilst they looked on the ropes. Then we fell off and second half we seemed much more passive and that inevitably let Watford get back into the game. Most of the complaints are coming from that period when it felt like we were shooting ourselves in the foot. Look at the Sargent sub, the reason it got the reaction it did, not just on here but in the ground too, was that it felt like we were repeating the same mistake again.

• Like 1

It was only enjoyable because we won. A more ruthless team would have punished both our mistakes and how much we were standing off them second half.

You can’t argue with the result in the end, very happy, but you’re making out like it was smooth sailing and it wasn’t. 

14 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Another batshït night of Wagner chaosball. Analyse that, stats nerds

I think the word you're looking for is "passovotchka".

I slated Barnes twice tonight, first one he scored straight after, second time he assisted, quite happy to be instantly shut up 🤣, I still think he had a poor game overall though, he's a player that sums up Wagner as a manager total enigma.

Wagner isn't going to do something daft here and get us promoted with a Barnes winner in the play offs? 😁

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Wagner isn't going to do something daft here and get us promoted with a Barnes winner in the play offs? 😁

How many times do I have to tell you, the winner will be scored by Liam Gibbs against the binners?

• Like 1

Just now, repman said:

I don't think it's this at all, we played well early on when we were attacking them whilst they looked on the ropes. Then we fell off and second half we seemed much more passive and that inevitably let Watford get back into the game. Most of the complaints are coming from that period when it felt like we were shooting ourselves in the foot. Look at the Sargent sub, the reason it got the reaction it did, not just on here but in the ground too, was that it felt like we were repeating the same mistake again.

I'd agree. The only reason this ended differently to many of those games in that awful run midseason- Barnes attempted pass to Sara fell back to him after the first attempt failed. We didn't have much to offer until then.

A team of moments? Unsustainable? I suppose it depends how many of these moments Wagner can keep conjuring up. Our process appears to be not having a process; but, it does keep working.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I think the word you're looking for is "passovotchka".

I have googled this and understand it's something to do with Dynamo Moscow, but other than that I'm lost.

Unless it means 'pass the vodka', in which case, yes, very much so

5 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

It was only enjoyable because we won. A more ruthless team would have punished both our mistakes and how much we were standing off them second half.

You can’t argue with the result in the end, very happy, but you’re making out like it was smooth sailing and it wasn’t. 

There was a rough patch after Sargent came off, but how much that had to do with Sargent's influence and how much to do with player response to fans' attitude to his withdrawal is debatable, but it's notable that things only picked up again after the 20% piped down with the jeering of the backpasses.

Was quite an amusing quip on the Radio Norfolk commentary that Sara was further forward to score his goal because Sargent had come off.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

I have googled this and understand it's something to do with Dynamo Moscow, but other than that I'm lost.

It was essentially an early Russian version of "total football", "passovotchka" being the name they gave it. Dynamo Moscow were most famous for it on a tour of the UK not too long after the Second World War.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, repman said:

A bit more control would be nice at times, but in the decades I’ve been watching I think I could count on one hand the matches where the opposition haven’t had at least one long spell of decent pressure. It happens, thankfully we were able to push on ourselves afterwards and get the points.

People forget this isn’t the XBox, or we’re not Man City. We’re a decent team in a fairly closely matched competitive division, to expect never to have bad spells is entirely unrealistic 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Before or after the LSD?

• Haha 1

Very interesting reaction from well over 20% of the crowd when the first substitutions were made - seems most of the booing and “you don’t know what you’re doing”  came from the snake pit and lower barclay

39 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Wow! Wonderful. Didn’t see that coming…coyy

Neither did Fass.. literally! 

6 minutes ago, skittles said:

Did I hear the fans sing ‘There’s only one David Wagner’ after the third? 

Thank **** for that! (That there’s only one, not that they were singing)

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 1

There was a rough patch after Sargent came off, but how much that had to do with Sargent's influence and how much to do with player response to fans' attitude to his withdrawal is debatable, but it's notable that things only picked up again after the 20% piped down with the jeering of the backpasses.

Was quite an amusing quip on the Radio Norfolk commentary that Sara was further forward to score his goal because Sargent had come off.

That “rough patch” basically lasted 25+ minutes at the start of the second half, we’d done nothing before Sargent went off and little after until after they levelled.

This is my point you want to have a **** for tat and argument with everyone that doesn’t see it like you do. It’s just not as black and white as everything’s great or everything is ****. In fact this game was a prime example as we basically saw a rendition of the best and worst of the Wagner era all displayed in one match.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

That “rough patch” basically lasted 25+ minutes at the start of the second half, we’d done nothing before Sargent went off and little after until after they levelled.

This is my point you want to have a **** for tat and argument with everyone that doesn’t see it like you do. It’s just not as black and white as everything’s great or everything is ****. In fact this game was a prime example as we basically saw a rendition of the best and worst of the Wagner era all displayed in one match.

Missing a penalty and heading in the rebound is very Wagner.

9 total shots on target, 6 goals is also very, very Wagner. Especially as one was taken from the outskirts of Swaffham.

Edited by Mason 47
Can't spell

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I thought it was even longer than that. The Sara goal was out of nowhere, and Fassnacht basically scored by mistake.

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

In fact this game was a prime example as we basically saw a rendition of the best and worst of the Wagner era all displayed in one match.

Yes, exactly

11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Before or after the LSD?

I think the LSD is a pre-match meal. The vodka's for the comedown

• Like 1