Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Yobocop’s Farewell - The Final Big Post of the Week

Hello Pink Un community,

It is with a tinge of sadness that I announce this week’s post is the last in the Big Post of the Week series by our very own Yobocop. Having exhausted all things NCFC, it’s time for this Joseph Yobo-themed cop to hang up the boots.

To commemorate this farewell, let’s use this space to discuss the best and worst goodbyes in the history of NCFC. Whether it’s a player we regret letting go or a manager who bid us adieu, share your thoughts on the farewells that left a lasting impact.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to these discussions over the weeks. Your insights, passion, and camaraderie have made these posts truly special. Although the Big Post of the Week bids farewell, the spirit of our community lives on in other threads.

Looking forward to your reflections on the best and worst goodbyes in the world of Norwich City FC.

See you on other threads, Pink Un family and Stay out of trouble 

Love always, 

Yobocop 

• Thanks 3

Tim Sherwood left his rubbish & got fined for fly tipping.

Andy Townsend went to Italia 90 as an Norwich player & came back as a Chelsea player.

Edited by A Load of Squit

Kevin Reeves departure was the first that really made a big impact on me. Up to that point, players usually departed without much fanfare, mainly in the close season etc. However we knew well in advance he was off and we knew the reason was to finance the River End re-build. He didn't seem too keen to be going either. 

Kevin Reeves - Main Discussion - Norwich City - The Pinkun Forums

• Like 2

Seem to recall Bassong penning a beautifully-worded letter to the fans upon his departure, so that was the best for me.

In terms of the worst, surely Martin O'Neil seeing the iceberg and heading off before the Leicester game must be a contender, a real case of what might have been 😞

• Like 3

And then of course was the big one - Chris Sutton's departure! The infamous Chase press conference saying he was not going anywhere, when Sutton had already signed for Blackburn. Boys, what a shocker that was.

image.png.cfcede756187626ada74d443d2f669fe.png

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Segura said:

Seem to recall Bassong penning a beautifully-worded letter to the fans upon his departure, so that was the best for me.

In terms of the worst, surely Martin O'Neil seeing the iceberg and heading off before the Leicester game must be a contender, a real case of what might have been 😞

Was at Filbert Street for that one (Sunday match) two up early on and still lost 3.2.

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Was at Filbert Street for that one (Sunday match) two up early on and still lost 3.2.

A bizarre day and a real sliding doors moment for the club. Didn't Iwan score their winner as well?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Segura said:

A bizarre day and a real sliding doors moment for the club. Didn't Iwan score their winner as well?

• Like 1

I was at that Leicester game. The players were visibly furious in the warm-up. The cries of Chase Out were met with clear appreciation from some of them.

Worst goodbye - Huckerby being included in a list of 'players released' at the end of the season, along with a bunch of academy kids who hadn't made the grade. Absolute tone-deaf f*ckery from Roeder.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Fleck, Crook, Heskey, Eadie, Roberts. Some pretty decent players in that game for a second-tier encounter.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

It is with a tinge of sadness that I announce this week’s post is the last in the Big Post of the Week series by our very own Yobocop

Have you been promoted? I'm still thinking about the bad news

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I was at that Leicester game. The players were visibly furious in the warm-up. The cries of Chase Out were met with clear appreciation from some of them.

Worst goodbye - Huckerby being included in a list of 'players released' at the end of the season, along with a bunch of academy kids who hadn't made the grade. Absolute tone-deaf f*ckery from Roeder.

Yep. The Huckerby departure still leaves a very bad taste.

However, the announcement of Huckerby signing when we thought all hope had gone was at the other end of the spectrum.

• Like 2

Ashton broke my heart big time, remember when we were trying to bring him in from Crewe he looked immense on the highlights (Did we have youtube then?),  and then to see what happened to him in regards to injury was a kick in the knackers too.  I had full on man crush for that guy.

I think one of the saddest departures was reading Iwan Roberts book after he retired, reading about his aches each morning, no contract offered, and the bittersweetness of promotion, and scoring in the final game (Captain too?).   I'm sure his car got broken into within the same week that he found out there was no contract extension, also(?).

Edited by Google Bot

6 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Have you been promoted? I'm still thinking about the bad news

Banned! Coz the regime don’t like it man 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

It was arguably the most WTF moment I've had supporting ncfc (and there have been a few!) literally switching on ITV to find out your manager had left hours before kick off.

If I recall, Mike Walker was a pundit for the game and he had been interviewed for the Leicester job. The dawning realisation of what was about to happen certainly wasn't lost on him!

Reeves left before his time-as with a few since, a case of "I'm happy to stay" being met with a "...if you don't leave, the club won't get the money for you and will go bust".

Steve Bruce was disappointing-didn't he threaten to go on strike if we didn't let him go to Man Utd?

8 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

I’m surprised LDC hasn’t said his great love, Daniel Farke yet 

Ah yes, the most shocking and ridiculous departure in the history of our club.

"But....but....he lost 21 games in a row" the simpletons cry.......

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Ben Marshall springs to mind. Mutual love from player and fans, should be nominated for the Hall of Fame by now. 

A worthy mention to James Husband as well surely ?

35 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

"But.. but... losing 21 games in a row doesn't necessarily mean it's a f*king disaster." 😂

I'm all for nuance, but that really is a desperate degree of delusion. And those games didn't have much to redeem them as far as the eye test was concerned either.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

The best is yet to come, Wagner's exit of course.

1 hour ago, Segura said:

It was arguably the most WTF moment I've had supporting ncfc (and there have been a few!) literally switching on ITV to find out your manager had left hours before kick off.

If I recall, Mike Walker was a pundit for the game and he had been interviewed for the Leicester job. The dawning realisation of what was about to happen certainly wasn't lost on him!

Will always remember that day. Switching on the TV at my Liverpool-supporting mates, both 10 years old, and him laughing when Kevin Piper announced O'Neill had resigned before the game kicked off. 

And yeah looking back I did feel for Mike Walker as from what I can remember, he had practically been offered the job.

• Like 1

From memory Emi gave us some very kind words.

His departure made even worse since it was that idiot Dean Smith who signed him.

I'm not looking forward to reading Johnny Rowe's farewell message, no matter when that might be.

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

From memory Emi gave us some very kind words.

His departure made even worse since it was that idiot Dean Smith who signed him.

I'm not looking forward to reading Johnny Rowe's farewell message, no matter when that might be.

June/July time. 

Hoolahan's sweary "****ing ****hole" quote. He didn't leave and got a tremendous send off in the end.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Which player said the best thing to come out of Norwich was the A11?

I recall that this was Keith O'Neil on Soccer AM, probably a good job social media didn't exist in 1997

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Ah yes, the most shocking and ridiculous departure in the history of our club.

Well I'm gonna come back with - hardly shocking...

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow
  • Haha 1