RobJames

lovely lolly at Liverpool

Not sure how much it will add up to, but better than a kick in the nadgers with a size 10

It could have been Bournemouth or Brentford away where we might just as well have got knocked out for £2.16s 4d in gate money. Add that to the money saved on returning Hwang and a loanee or two to push us into the playoffs looks possible.

Could it be the first game the whole of the extended Anfield Road is open?  Potential 57,000?

Just now, shefcanary said:

Could it be the first game the whole of the extended Anfield Road is open?  Potential 57,000?

That'll do donkey. 

Nice wedge for the, ahem, war chest 🤣

Plus it's a game at Anfield against the Premier League leaders. I know we're all a bit traumatised by recent PL humiliations, but this is what it's all about, isn't it?

Nothing to lose. Sure, we'll probably get thrashed, but you never know. On the ball, City.

• Like 10

Very welcome money. Chances of getting in the play offs under Wagner though seem slim. 

A great chance to showcase ourselves on national TV and the world.

Seriously all of our players should be up for this and banging on Wagner's door to play. A chance for Rowe, Sara and Sargent to show where they are at.

• Like 6

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

A great chance to showcase ourselves on national TV and the world.

Seriously all of our players should be up for this and banging on Wagner's door to play. A chance for Rowe, Sara and Sargent to show where they are at.

That's the spirit.

Really feel we football fans have been propagandised into caring far too much about money. I hate it when the media describes the play-off final as 'the richest game in football', or 'the £150M match' or whatever. It's about your team playing in the top flight.

I get that the money from a trip to Anfield will be welcome, and I get that the club need to care about such things, but as a fan I couldn't care less about what we earn from it. We're going to play Liverpool at Anfield and it's on terrestrial TV. Obviously it might be (will probably be) an embarrassing defeat, but if they underestimate us, who knows? And we've got a couple of good players who have the ability to create a memorable moment - even if we lose in the end. Are we really all so jaded that we're not looking forward to this?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

That's the spirit.

Really feel we football fans have been propagandised into caring far too much about money. I hate it when the media describes the play-off final as 'the richest game in football', or 'the £150M match' or whatever. It's about your team playing in the top flight.

I get that the money from a trip to Anfield will be welcome, and I get that the club need to care about such things, but as a fan I couldn't care less about what we earn from it. We're going to play Liverpool at Anfield and it's on terrestrial TV. Obviously it might be (will probably be) an embarrassing defeat, but if they underestimate us, who knows? And we've got a couple of good players who have the ability to create a memorable moment - even if we lose in the end. Are we really all so jaded that we're not looking forward to this?

It won't be embarrassing to lose to one of the best teams in the world, unless we gift them goals. Liverpool beat most teams most weeks so it really is a free hit. In theory we should play without fear. Good opportunity for a 'plucky little Norwich' display.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

That's the spirit.

It is the 'magic' of the cup. We are not expected to win,as in 1959, but we did. And again at Old Trafford in 1967 and at White Hart lane a few years back. They'll be plenty heading up there, never mind it is on the telly. Away at Anfield or at home to Maidstone ?

A great day out at one of the country's top stadiums.

I doubt the 'Gas' would have been whining as much as some of the entitled on here have been

• Like 3

Just now, RobJames said:

It is the 'magic' of the cup. We are not expected to win,as in 1959, but we did. And again at Old Trafford in 1967 and at White Hart lane a few years back. They'll be plenty heading up there, never mind it is on the telly. Away at Anfield or at home to Maidstone ?

A great day out at one of the country's top stadiums.

Exactly. I loved that night at Spurs just before lockdown. Not least because two of our academy kids, Cantwell and Idah, scored in the shootout. Tim Krul running the length of the pitch at the end. Lovely stuff.

You never know.

2 minutes ago, RobJames said:

I doubt the 'Gas' would have been whining as much as some of the entitled on here have been

To be fair, I think it's more jadedness than entitlement that stops people being excited. We've played a lot of games at these big grounds recently and got absolutely hammered in most of them. It's only natural that the excitement has waned a bit. I'm just trying to fight against that jadedness a bit.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Lovely lolly? 99 mr whippy?

That's an ice cream, not a lolly

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

My only trip to Anfield was many moons ago, 85/86 when we lost 5-0 in the cup. Might be time to have another look…

I was at that one, a very cold young 'un as it snowed all through the game. We were able to park not far from the stadium but some kids asked if they could 'mind the car'. i didn't understand why we then drove quite a bit further away from the stadium. Brrrrr

15 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

My only trip to Anfield was many moons ago, 85/86 when we lost 5-0 in the cup. Might be time to have another look…

1 minute ago, RobJames said:

I was at that one, a very cold young 'un as it snowed all through the game. We were able to park not far from the stadium but some kids asked if they could 'mind the car'. i didn't understand why we then drove quite a bit further away from the stadium. Brrrrr

Just now, RobJames said:

Ha, I bet you understand now!   Yes, wasn’t the best weather - I was a teenager, went on the coach with some mates.

29 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Ha, I bet you understand now!   Yes, wasn’t the best weather - I was a teenager, went on the coach with some mates.

My Dads mate drove up with us his boy and my brother in the back. Being the youngest I sat in the middle, bl oody uncomfortable as well, no layers of clothes and a zipper jacket, not a coat. I was thought too young to go to Wembley the year before, as I would not have been able to see.  When we got back to the car I thought we had lost 4-0. Fingers too frozen to count on.🙃

Edited by RobJames
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

I think they’ve already had 57,000 and they’re due to open the upper tier of the Anfield Rd stand very soon.

It’ll get the capacity up to 61,000

9 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Only ever been to anfield once. And it was the Worthington Prem season.

I saw the Grant Holt headed equaliser where the famous Liverpool atmosphere was totally absent. 

Went absolutely bananas for that goal 😂

I’ve only been to Anfield once, and at the end of the game got my scarf stolen, in the Park, always tie a tight knot. 

12 minutes ago, Corbs1 said:

I’ve only been to Anfield once, and at the end of the game got my scarf stolen, in the Park, always tie a tight knot. 

They do like to steal scarves. Had mine nicked after being attacked by half a dozen scousers following a game at home in the 70s. 

53 minutes ago, Mutley said:

They do like to steal scarves. Had mine nicked after being attacked by half a dozen scousers following a game at home in the 70s. 

To be fair, they’ll steal owt

14 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I think they’ve already had 57,000 and they’re due to open the upper tier of the Anfield Rd stand very soon.

It’ll get the capacity up to 61,000

Full opening of the new stand has been delayed, but some of the new upper tier was open just before Christmas & gate was mid 57000s.

Looks like we've taken roughly 2,500 tickets, across three lower-tier blocks.

6 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I saw the Grant Holt headed equaliser where the famous Liverpool atmosphere was totally absent. 

Went absolutely bananas for that goal 😂

Me too. We saw Harry Redknapp chatting with supporters outside and my daughter stood in some horse sh1t. I’ve tried to convince her it was a lucky omen ever since but she seems strangely reluctant to repeat it.

Also my brother-in-law who had a Liverpool season ticket at the time was very quiet on the journey back to his afterwards.