Sign in to follow this  
Danke bitte

Chris Mepham

31 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Exactly, this would give us another CB in addition to Hanley, Gibson, potentially Kenny, Duffy, Warner and Batth, with Adegboyega coming up from the under 21s. 

Edit: forgot Tomkinson!

And Brad Hills out on loan at Accrington

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Would probably be a great signing, but doesn't exactly plug one of the holes in the squad. I fear signing a defender at this point indicates the club thinking is that improving the defence is about personnel rather than the tactical setup. I find that worrying but not exactly surprising. 

I'd be deflated if we signed a centre back and no defensive midfielder, which I think should be the priority.

However if Mepham comes to us with an option to buy at a reasonable price at the end of the season, when we'll have Gibson and Baath off the payroll, that would seem to be a potentially positive step? He's only 26.

49 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Lot of wages being spent in CD on players that won’t be playing, Knappers got a busy 6-8 months ahead.

Wouldn't surprise me massively if Dael Fry has his suitors and wants out from Middlesbrough, with Ben Gibson going to Middlesbrough in this window to replace him?

Bit of a stretch, but allowing one of our centre backs to leave in this window would at least means it makes more sense.

• Like 1

If anything comes of this it would imply Gibson will be off in the summer and this is just a bit of forward planning. Knappers first job is looking at who will be out of contract, who is worth keeping and plugging gaps left by any departures

13 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"Today"

This photo was from last year. We failed to match his wages and ended up signing Duffy instead.

Players only travel when the deal is 99% agreed. The wages would've been discussed a while ago.

If this does turn out to be true, I would assume either Gibson or Batth will move on, considering their contracts are up at the end of the season.

He's a decent player, whose profile fits the aim of lowering the age of the squad. 

Looks like winter to me, two people in background wearing coats, one with a hood up! Not going to be a summer pic. More likely to be recent in my view.

Would be happy with this signing. 

My best detective skills have failed to identify the date of this photo, however, if it was last August why wasn’t it shared then? Whoever’s taken it wants to share, and it would seem rather odd to sit on it and release randomly 6 months later? 

All in all, Duffy has largely been unimpressive, Batth has looked poor bar once amongst his limited run outs, Hanley is coming to the twilight of his career and is now injury prone and also liable for a mistake or two, and Gibson is even more error prone. Whilst we have numbers at the back I’d be pleased to see the club looking for better, younger but with experience. And hopefully gradually moving on from the above.  

4 minutes ago, S_81 said:

All in all, Duffy has largely been unimpressive, Batth has looked poor bar once amongst his limited run outs, Hanley is coming to the twilight of his career and is now injury prone and also liable for a mistake or two, and Gibson is even more error prone. Whilst we have numbers at the back I’d be pleased to see the club looking for better, younger but with experience. And hopefully gradually moving on from the above.  

I think it’s unfair to criticise Duffy. I think he’s still a big player for us. Having no proper midfield protection is putting all our centre backs under too much pressure. Duffy does certain things very well, the key is to make sure his partner does the other stuff. Mepham would fit that bill.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barry Brockes said:

In talks with Sheffield United according to Bournemouth local sports journos.

Shame if true.. tbh, I’d be surprised if he couldn’t get another EPL move. He’s been very good for Bournemouth when played. 

7 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I think it’s unfair to criticise Duffy. I think he’s still a big player for us. Having no proper midfield protection is putting all our centre backs under too much pressure. Duffy does certain things very well, the key is to make sure his partner does the other stuff. Mepham would fit that bill.

Duffy’s been up and down in form this season but he’s been excellent recently. To be honest though I’d still pick Hanley over him if he was fully fit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Duffy’s been up and down in form this season but he’s been excellent recently. To be honest though I’d still pick Hanley over him if he was fully fit.

He is very good at heading things away from the edge of the area or last gasp lunging tackles which is basically what our recent tactical approach seems to require. Anything else, not so great.  I'd also pick a fit Hanley ahead of him, which given my opinion of Hanley is more of an indictment than a compliment...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Barry Brockes said:

In talks with Sheffield United according to Bournemouth local sports journos.

As I said yesterday, I had heard he was interesting Leeds - so perhaps he’s talking to interested parties and seeing what’s what.  It does seem strange that someone would take a pic last summer and sit on it for 6 months to take the ****!

Last year was only two weeks ago, maybe talking about last season when we wouldnt have sarg pic in his pyjamas.

Can't have too many CB's Norwich normal default is to go with just 3, refreshing change by Wagner, expect an injury if rumours true re CM. 

17 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I'd be deflated if we signed a centre back and no defensive midfielder, which I think should be the priority.

However if Mepham comes to us with an option to buy at a reasonable price at the end of the season, when we'll have Gibson and Baath off the payroll, that would seem to be a potentially positive step? He's only 26.

Yeah this would make sense- we're overstocked in some ways but a 26 year old with potential to be a starter for a few years to replace Gibson and Batth longer term makes sense. If McLean at centre back isn't considered a long term solution then having a choice of...

Mepham

Hanley

Duffy

...isn't excessive. You can then add whoever we rate most out of Hills, Warner and Tomkinson to the mix with Kenny as cover.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah this would make sense- we're overstocked in some ways but a 26 year old with potential to be a starter for a few years to replace Gibson and Batth longer term makes sense. If McLean at centre back isn't considered a long term solution then having a choice of...

Mepham

Hanley

Duffy

...isn't excessive. You can then add whoever we rate most out of Hills, Warner and Tomkinson to the mix with Kenny as cover.

Think it would be a great bit of business if it did happen and was either permanent or option. Seems pretty likely this is Batth and Gibsons last seasons given Knappers comments about the squad and their playing time.

Sounds like he has options from clubs in much better positions than us though. If Knapper can sell him a vision to bring him here over them that’s a really good sign. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, S_81 said:

Or looking at it another way. Duffy has given stability in the air and is strong on the ground. Gibson is a decent presence most of the time and Batth hasn’t put a foot wrong in the modest opportunities he has had. Yes there are mistakes. Where in the league at these positions are there not. Some might say a lot of our difficulties began with Hanley’s injury.

3 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Sounds like he has options from clubs in much better positions than us though. If Knapper can sell him a vision to bring him here over them that’s a really good sign. 

Just had a quick search to see if he had children, but don't think he does.

The safety and quaintness of Norfolk over Sheffield or Leeds might have swung it if he had a young family, an extra year on a contract becomes more important when it comes to settling them in schools too. Whereas the plethora of eateries and fancy bars in larger cities would probably swing it for those who don't have that responsibility yet.

But he doesn't appear to have kids yet, so yeah doesn't look like we'll be signing him, unless the paper talk linking him to those clubs is nonsense.

1 hour ago, Rhiadd said:

Or looking at it another way. Duffy has given stability in the air and is strong on the ground. Gibson is a decent presence most of the time and Batth hasn’t put a foot wrong in the modest opportunities he has had. Yes there are mistakes. Where in the league at these positions are there not. Some might say a lot of our difficulties began with Hanley’s injury.

I should imagine that what we'd be prepared to pay for Gibson, so his new market rate, wouldn't exceed what his uncle would offer him to return to Middlesbrough?

I actually think that the club would be prepared to offer something to Gibson, I just don't think he'd elect to stay when that offer is on par with what loads of other teams at this level would be willing and able to pay. 

If it is true that he is now our highest earner then he's clearly on much more than he is worth, realistically, and our contract offer will reflect that.

We have a 1 year option on Baath but don't use him enough to make triggering that likely? Have to wonder whether he anticipated getting this little football also, and whether he'd actually want to stay here given the circumstances.