The 80%ers love seeing our most creative player playing as a false Center back.

They'd have had Wes in goal and hailed it a “tactical masterclass”

Like I’ve said before, these are very low intelligence people and Sara and his like will most likely be chased away. “Good riddance” they’ll cry “Kenny can play anywhere!”

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, mccanary said:

Tired???  A young , fit athlete working about 25 hours a week??

B0ll0cks

Let him do 50 hours on a building site , then you can say he might be Tired. 

Nothing to do with building sites, the point is that IF he's tired then it's in comparison to midfielders he's playing against. He's played a lot of games with not a lot of possession,  his performances may have dropped off a bit because he's jaded and not as fresh as he could be. 

And that's from somebody who is self employed and works 50+ hours a week March-October.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

The 80%ers love seeing our most creative player playing as a false Center back.

Who said that?

19 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

People keep saying Wagner hasn’t lost the dressing room, but you can’t watch Sara there or Sargent’s post-match interview last week and say there isn’t a wedge forming between coach and players.

Guarantee you there isn't a wedge at all. The performance tells you how much they're willing to still put in for the manager. It's often blatant when a team has downed tools for a manager. I personally think its what's kept him his job. 

Re Sara, we need to find a way to get him on the ball more but not to the detriment of our entire team shape which was happening during our terrible run. During that run Sara really stood out because he was scoring and assisting but he was equally culpable for how easily we were countered.

At the moment it's too far the other way, Wagner seems to acknowledge that but I'm unsure if he or the team is capable of finding that balance. It may require a signing or two to make that possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Just not very often 😉

40 out of 46 games in their promotion season as far as I can see?

28 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

40 out of 46 games in their promotion season as far as I can see?

Ah, I thought we were still talking about Billing. Yes, Hogg was a regular along with Mooy, but Billing was just a backup option during Wagner's two full seasons in charge.

But anyway, we've gone seriously off-piste here and are getting our wires crossed. 

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Sara slowly but surely losing any chance of PL move.  Looks a plodder under Wagner not a thoroughbred, tactics mean not given opportunity to show skills.

1 minute ago, pete said:

Sara slowly but surely losing any chance of PL move.  Looks a plodder under Wagner not a thoroughbred, tactics mean not given opportunity to show skills.

The fee we eventually accept for him is going to shock the 80%ers. They think he’s worth 80 million, we’ll get like 4 I reckon

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Clearly not happy with having to play a deeper role judging by that interview.

I would say you are seeing people with knifes out to get you everyday if thats what you read into that interview

but think he would prefer to be a little further forward weirdly exactly what he said

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Was before the game on Sky last night,  directly asked how he's enjoying it playing deeper this season, long and short of it was 'not much'

Pop quiz on the question of playing style. Who said this last night:

“Hull were a lot better with the ball .. they obviously play a really good way, [Norwich] tried to stop that ; [Norwich] didn’t do enough with the ball to be honest”

Edited by GenerationA47

On 13/01/2024 at 17:14, GenerationA47 said:

Pop quiz on the question of playing style. Who said this last night:

“Hull were a lot better with the ball .. they obviously play a really good way, [Norwich] tried to stop that ; [Norwich] didn’t do enough with the ball to be honest”

OK, since the answer has been requested so frantically via DM (ho, ho), the answer if you didn't know is our captain, Mr McClean in the main Sky interview. He wasn't particularly being pushed for criticism by the interviewer.

I hate to put words in people's mouths or read non-existent agendas into statements, but this sounds very much like a straightforward plea for a different, better approach at least to games like this one.

• Like 2

I have posted before that playing Sara in the position he is at present is a complete waste of his undoubted talent.

Much further forward will help him to feed the forward’s , as well as scoring himself. Hardly likely to do either playing so deep.

Question is if 26,000 people can see that why can’t the head coach?

On 12/01/2024 at 21:36, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I actually feel a bit sorry for Wagner. I think he's very limited as a manager and I want to see us make the change, perhaps a caretaker for March to May then new manager at season end.

However he's yet another manager that has been lumbered with a bunch of Webber signings, not given everything he needs and then told to go and get results with them. Any manager worth their salt is going to come straight in and say "get me a defensive midfielder, preferably two, every other manager in the league has got one". 

Its really not just Wagner's ability, we literally don't have a defensive midfielder. Fassnacht probably the only player that Wagner specifically asked for, although admittedly he hasn't shown much. 

If you're writing off the  players because you believe Webber signed a bunch of lemons then we can all stop worrying about who the manager is; if they're useless then no manager is going to be any good with them so let's not waste money trying to polish a turd.

If you're not necessarily writing off the players then for God's sake stop making excuses for Wagner. It's his job to get the best out of the players; and frankly we got better results out of these players under Dean Smith, so the answer seems pretty clear to me. Do you think he's getting the best out of the players we have? Yes or no.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If you're writing off the  players because you believe Webber signed a bunch of lemons then we can all stop worrying about who the manager is; if they're useless then no manager is going to be any good with them so let's not waste money trying to polish a turd.

If you're not necessarily writing off the players then for God's sake stop making excuses for Wagner. It's his job to get the best out of the players; do you think he's getting the best out of the players we have? Yes or no.

I find your tone unnecessarily aggressive so I'm not sure whether I should really justify it with a response.

But as it happens things are rarely this binary or straight forward and therefore "yes or no" are rarely sufficient as answers.

I don't think any manager would be able to get us promoted with this midfield, teams walk through us and we can't win back possession in the middle of the park which is why we've resorted to attempting to bypass midfield entirely.

How on earth would I know whether Wagner has requested an anchorman to shield the defence and to link the back five with the playmakers. I think that any head coach would need one though, and that most head coaches have one at their disposal, and I know that Wagner used one at Huddersfield in Jonathan Hogg when he managed to get them out of this league, even if it were in a largely drab and uninspiring fashion.

And if we're going to persevere with Wagner we should probably find him one from somewhere and see if that improves our football and stops opposition teams completely dominating in possession. The only opinion that I really have is that we very clearly need a defensive midfielder in this side, whether Wagner is our head coach or A N Other.

11 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If you're not necessarily writing off the players then for God's sake stop making excuses for Wagner. It's his job to get the best out of the players; and frankly we got better results out of these players under Dean Smith, so the answer seems pretty clear to me. Do you think he's getting the best out of the players we have? Yes or no.

Not sure. 

5 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I find your tone unnecessarily aggressive so I'm not sure whether I should really justify it with a response.

But as it happens things are rarely this binary or straight forward and therefore "yes or no" are rarely sufficient as answers.

I don't think any manager would be able to get us promoted with this midfield, teams walk through us and we can't win back possession in the middle of the park which is why we've resorted to attempting to bypass midfield entirely.

How on earth would I know whether Wagner has requested an anchorman to shield the defence and to link the back five with the playmakers. I think that any head coach would need one though, and that most head coaches have one at their disposal, and I know that Wagner used one at Huddersfield in Jonathan Hogg when he managed to get them out of this league, even if it were in a largely drab and uninspiring fashion.

And if we're going to persevere with Wagner we should probably find him one from somewhere and see if that improves our football and stops opposition teams completely dominating in possession. The only opinion that I really have is that we very clearly need a defensive midfielder in this side, whether Wagner is our head coach or A N Other.

I agree with you about a caretaker; I just find the excuses made for Wagner somewhat exasperating and the pointless deflection to Webber, who has left, annoying because Webber doesn't really deserve this level of excuses made for him. His tenure has been extremely poor, the worst we've had since Bryan Gunn and for on-pitch performance with what we've got, the buck stops with him.

• Like 1

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

I agree with you about a caretaker; I just find the excuses made for Wagner somewhat exasperating and the pointless deflection to Webber, who has left, annoying because Webber doesn't really deserve this level of excuses made for him. His tenure has been extremely poor.

Just said I felt a bit sorry for him to an extent, didn't say that the Fat Cat and Canary should be painting his face in their next mural.

I struggle to get excited about replacing a head coach knowing that due to budget limitations we're going to have to take a punt on somebody largely unknown or who has been sacked from their last job when replacing. Its really easy to shout "sack the manager" but I seldom see people making suggestions for that managers replacement. 

If anything I think he should be sacked for saying "I don't know" in that press conference the other day instead of growing some balls and saying "I've told the sporting director that we need to recruit in two positions in this window and I hope he delivers".

Because it is his job on the line, and being the yes man is only going to go so far in preserving that job. He should have come out swinging and tried to send a message. If Wagner had said "I need two players, one of them a good defensive midfielder, deliver that and our football will improve" then my respect for him would have gone up massively.

So the extent that I feel sorry for him is very limited. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Just said I felt a bit sorry for him to an extent, didn't say that the Fat Cat and Canary should be painting his face in their next mural.

I struggle to get excited about replacing a head coach knowing that due to budget limitations we're going to have to take a punt on somebody largely unknown or who has been sacked from their last job when replacing. Its really easy to shout "sack the manager" but I seldom see people making suggestions for that managers replacement. 

If anything I think he should be sacked for saying "I don't know" in that press conference the other day instead of growing some balls and saying "I've told the sporting director that we need to recruit in two positions in this window and I hope he delivers".

Because it is his job on the line, and being the yes man is only going to go so far in preserving that job. He should have come out swinging and tried to send a message. If Wagner had said "I need two players, one of them a good defensive midfielder, deliver that and our football will improve" then my respect for him would have gone up massively.

So the extent that I feel sorry for him is very limited. 

Ironically, it's usually me pointing out it's far too easy to call to sack a manager, but actually I feel this in an instance where there really is nothing whatsoever to lose from him other than a few months compensation as I don't see any value in him as a long-term prospect worth cultivating. We are still in touch with a shout at promotion this season, and while we've had some better results lately, the evidence that key players are starting to be at odds with him is a strong sign that we'd have a better chance of rescuing this season with someone else in charge, even a caretaker.

On 13/01/2024 at 14:15, GodlyOtsemobor said:

The answer is sign a CDM to play alongside Nunez,, push Sara up. Sorted. 

Agreed. But when the idea of us signing a CDM in the summer was put forward by some on here, there was more than one poster who castigated such views basically telling such people that 'they didnt know what they were talking about' and 'dont you realise Wagner doesn't need one with his formation' etc etc.s 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agreed. But when the idea of us signing a CDM in the summer was put forward by some on here, there was more than one poster who castigated such views basically telling such people that 'they didnt know what they were talking about' and 'dont you realise Wagner doesn't need one with his formation' etc etc.s 

Yet, as the season has played out, the need for a CDM has only become more apparent; as have the flaws in Wagner's system. It would take someone very obtuse to hold such views at this point.

Playing a second striker is an incredible luxury which almost no team can afford at the expense of being a man light in midfield, especially when it's someone as 'average' as Barnes. A CDM would liberate Sara and our other attacking midfielders to... you know... attack. 

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

I can certainly think of one prominent one extolling the virtues of why ‘Wagnerball’ didn’t need a CDM 

14 hours ago, S_81 said:

I can certainly think of one prominent one extolling the virtues of why ‘Wagnerball’ didn’t need a CDM 

It was clear to anyone who knows anything that a CDM was absolutely vital in the summer. To those that thought otherwise, I think it has become so obvious that even they would have to admit defeat on that one. Let's hope we get one this month.

• Like 1