Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Adam Idah - the next Ibrahimovic

In discussing the young man on another thread I remembered reading about him being labelled the new Ibrahimovic when he was a junior. 

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/who-is-adam-idah-the-ireland-international-jose-mourinho-reportedly-wants-as-manchester-uniteds-new-zlatan-ibrahimovic/36749546.html

Im not sure how reliable it is that this was actually said, but a high bar has been set for the lad. Im not sure he is ever going to be a special player, but do others diasgree?

I find it quite strange that so much focus has been put on AI this season bearing in mind is previous injury record and nobody else getting a look in otherthan Pukki for the previous 5 years. Had it not been for Sarge's injury he probably wouldn't have been getting much of a look in.

Supporters of our club are probably the most impatient there is when it comes to writing off young players. Idah, Gibbs, McCallum, Springett, even Fisher getting a pasting now. It really doesn't bode well for the future.

It's a bit of a daft quote from Mourinho about a 17 year old although I suspect many never knew it existed.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Im not sure how reliable it is that this was actually said, but a high bar has been set for the lad. Im not sure he is ever going to be a special player, but do others diasgree?

He'll be a decent Championship striker and spend most of his career in the Championship.

He'd already be a decent Championship striker if he'd gone out and got himself 30 starts in League One.

And we're a slightly below average Championship side with no signs that we'll progress beyond that any time soon, so we're probably a decent match.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I find it quite strange that so much focus has been put on AI this season bearing in mind is previous injury record and nobody else getting a look in otherthan Pukki for the previous 5 years. Had it not been for Sarge's injury he probably wouldn't have been getting much of a look in.

Supporters of our club are probably the most impatient there is when it comes to writing off young players. Idah, Gibbs, McCallum, Springett, even Fisher getting a pasting now. It really doesn't bode well for the future.

It's a bit of a daft quote from Mourinho about a 17 year old although I suspect many never knew it existed.

Hear hear.

36 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think the problem is that Adam Idah isn't really a "young player" anymore captain, he's 23 in about a month.

He was 18 when he scored that hat trick against Preston in the cup.

And there is a cut off point where you perhaps need to stop talking about somebody as a prospect and judge them for what they are, otherwise you'll end up with Jesse Lingaard eternal prospect memes.

The next Ibrahimovic is more likely to be one of his two football-playing sons - Max or Vincent...🤩

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The next Ibrahimovic is more likely to be one of his two football-playing sons - Max or Vincent...🤩

Rare that world class players produce kids that go on to be elite level.

Often because they had to fight for everything and their offspring have been silver spooned and have a big inheritance in their future. And perhaps pressure to live up to the name.

Tom Ince, Jordan Larsson, the Zidane's, Paul Dalglish etc.

Marcus Thuram is a good player, Chiesa the only one I can think of to equal his dad's quality and status. Don't think we could get away with calling Alfie Haaland a world class player.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

4 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Often because they had to fight for everything and their offspring have been silver spooned and have a big inheritance in their future. And perhaps pressure to live up to the name.

Marcus Thuram is a good player, Chiesa the only one I can think of to equal his dad's quality and status. Don't think we could get away with calling Alfie Haaland a world class player.

Cesare and Paolo Maldini? 

• Like 2

Eider gudjohnson and his dad must both have been decent. Once replaced the other as subs in an international once!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

That has raised a rather hopeful point though, Idah has remained relatively injury free in a squad that has suffered with Injuries.

Can only be a good thing for his progression, as I was concerned whether he could even sustain a full season, i.e. if we put him on loan somewhere where he would be one of the first names on the team sheet.

I've probably now cursed the lad, of course! :classic_huh:

Edited by Google Bot

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Cesare and Paolo Maldini? 

Must be something to do with tomatoes and olive oil.

Rare if not Italian then.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I find it interesting that of the two Wright-Phillips boys, Ian Wright's adopted son had a better career than the one with his genes

Maybe thought of as the New Ibrahimovic at some point as in when in was 16/17 /18 but scouts obviously found out he was not  ,

If not he would of been sold long ago by us  ,

the Big clubs would of signed him they would of easily spent 5 to 10 million if they thought so back then  ,

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I remember Paul Dalglish-and people complain about the team now!

Edited by Commonsense
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Must be something to do with tomatoes and olive oil.

Rare if not Italian then.

Peter and Kasper Schmicael. Both very good keepers. Not sure how popular olive oil is in Denmark.

It seems its not just Idah who has failed to reach the zenith of his assumed talent.

The other talent named in the article, Daishawn Redan,the Chelsea and Netherlands 'prospect',now plies his trade in Serie C for an obscure club,on loan from another obscure club. These players who never quite get there are everywhere.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

I remember Paul Dalglish-and people complain about the team now!

Paid a fee for him as well, £300k, probably equivalent to about a million and a half now.

I remember my old man in one of Dalglish's early games saying "blimey he runs just like his dad", a few seconds later "shame he can't kick like him". 

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Haha 2

Lampard Senior & Junior both carved out impressive careers. 

I always thought Jordi Cruyff was very unlucky with injuries after he moved to Man U. He was holding his own with the likes of Stoichkov at Barca when he broke through. Highly unlikely he would have been able to live up to the old man though. Very few ever have or will. 

55 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Bryan and Angus Gunn !! 

I said world class, and although a bonafide Norwich City legend, he was Scotland's 3rd choice keeper.

I don't get why he gets questioned as to his value as much as he does; he's one of our better players overall. Gets stuck in defensively, is physically imposing and our second best scorer as far as minutes per goal are concerned.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

3 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Idah is inherently lazy, we knew this when we signed him 

Any actual evidence of this?i watched him from age 12-16, never was lazy then, we signed him aged 16 btw.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Any actual evidence of this?i watched him from age 12-16, never was lazy then, we signed him aged 16 btw.

Yeh check an interview when he signed he was told off for being lazy as there were Norwich scouts at the game so he pulled his finger out and scored a second half hattrick.

i think we have this Totally wrong Adam was interviewed and he said i SAT next Ibrahimovic on way home from Dubai