Posted (edited)

What do people think has gone wrong with Gibbs? He had a game yesterday playing in a position which is supposed to suit him much more than the forward position Wagner for some weird reason put him in, and yet he was poor (although, to be fair, probably no worse than almost everyone else).

Did we overrate him massively when he broke through what feels like a long time ago? Is it because he hasn't been given a fixed role and he's in danger of becoming a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none? Has he lacked proper guidance from Smith and Wagner? Is it just that he's still incredibly young and we're expecting too much of him?

Sorry to mention Farke for those who think we need to get over him (something I wouldn't argue against), but when we introduced young players under him, there seemed to be more of a plan about how to use them, they seemed to be more ready for the challenge, and we seemed to support them better during their early games. We can't keep introducing these young players and then discarding them a few games later.

Does anyone have any opinions/ideas about what is going wrong with Gibbs?

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 1

Yes we did overrate him and also, he needs football, just not for us and not in this league.

He’s played over 50 games for us and I fail to remember him having a good game. has scored 1 goal and can’t remember too many assists. 

Over hyped because we “stole” him from Ipswich.

falls into the same camp as Idah, Thinks he has made it as we gave him  a contract way above his actual current value. Desperately needs/needed a loan to League 1 or 2 to get 40+ games under his belt starting week in week out. 

Can’t see him ever making it with us. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

He needs a run of games. He won't get it with us.

I expected many people to suggest loaning him out to get experience. That's a reasonable suggestion, of course, but loans often don't seem to do much for the player and, if they are very successful, like Mumba, we don't seem to get the benefit of their experience other than perhaps financially. Other players have stinkingly poor loans out, like Springett, and he's suddenly in the squad.

For me, Gibbs looked a far better prospect than Springett (I know, different positions, etc, but I'm talking generally), and in the early days looked better ready for the challenge of being a squad member. I just feel something has gone badly wrong.

I guess it's much harder for a young player to break through when the team as a whole is performing so below par. They just don't get the same support on the pitch.

• Like 1

In fairness to Gibbs, he's only had 5 minutes on the pitch in almost a month. And, for me much worse, has spent the first half of the season trying to be a pressing forward for some reason- a massive internal failure in development IMO.

Candidate for a decent loan this month if the right team wanted him I think 

Put a nice pass through to Idah yesterday which of course was missed.

He can't really go on loan though as our midfield cover includes sicknotes Sorensen and Forshaw.

• Like 2

Dont think anything has gone wrong, just dont think he was that good in the first place...its only a reasonable passing range thats sets him above a Shaun Carey

..that said he was better than Forshaw yesterday.

Could do with sending him out to a top 8 League One club for the rest of the sesson to get a run of games (if he's good enough)

25 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

He had a game yesterday playing in a position which is supposed to suit him

That isn't his position, is it? I have always be bemused by posters thinking he is a CDM (mainly because we don't have one and they think we need one). He is not a 6 and never will be.

• Like 1

He only really made it into the first team due to an injury crisis so he was pushed a bit quicker than ideal but for the last year he's never really been played in a position to best suit his game (bar a few at the back end of last season if I remember rightly). 

A loan would probably be best for him but we need to be careful with where we send him. A good comp would be Gilmour, small midfielder who's in possession traits lend him to playing deep but perhaps lacking the physical side of the game to shine in that role. As we saw with Gilmour, that sort of player is never going to succeed in a side fighting down at the bottom of the league. Maybe finding him a move similar to what Cantwell had in Holland would be best.

I wouldn't judge him on that game, especially in a totally dysfunctional midfield system where he's basically playing as the entire midfield while the rest of the team form a circle around him with no one closer than 25 yards.

Yes, he looked poor, but who wouldn't in those circumstances? 

• Like 5

Just now, Petriix said:

I wouldn't judge him on that game, especially in a totally dysfunctional midfield system where he's basically playing as the entire midfield while the rest of the team form a circle around him with no one closer than 25 yards.

Yes, he looked poor, but who wouldn't in those circumstances? 

I’m still trying to figure out just what his best position actually is? He’s played as a holding player in midfield, alongside McLean in a midfield two, out on the right wing & at number 10, attacking midfielder! Yet not really impressive at any of those!

Does he actually need to just concentrate on one position and focus on that? I’m sure there’s a good player in there, but then I think that of Idah too! So maybe it’s my opinions which need questioning 😂😂

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

That isn't his position, is it? I have always be bemused by posters thinking he is a CDM (mainly because we don't have one and they think we need one). He is not a 6 and never will be.

He was signed as an attacking midfielder but I'll disagree with you here for once as I do think his best position is further back in a double pivot, albeit in a more possession based midfield with considerably more structural coherence than ours currently offers.  For me he certainly isn't a game changer further forward and it mildly baffles me as to why Wagner seems to think he is.

He isn't a full on purely destructive defensive midfielder though, I'll grant you that.  But he does offer a decent touch, passing range and work rate and had previously shown some tactical nous as well as the ability to receive the ball under pressure, much of which is lacking in most of our other options there.  I suspect he'll end up in the deeper role, and I also think that there is a player there.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Indy said:

I’m still trying to figure out just what his best position actually is? He’s played as a holding player in midfield, alongside McLean in a midfield two, out on the right wing & at number 10, attacking midfielder! Yet not really impressive at any of those!

The couple of good games I've seen him have for us were definitely not on the right wing or at number 10, so that's a good starting point in a process of elimination.

15 hours ago, shefcanary said:

He needs a run of games. He won't get it with wagner.

Fixed it 

Gibbs was a player needing coaching.   As poor as Smith was he was getting some then;   however wagner has no idea where to play him and sees him as one of the problem youngsters that needed replacing by more expensive experienced heads...

Wagner clearly is the issue for Gibbs. Doesnt help that he seems to think he is Wes Hoolahan minus any similar ability. He is a central/defensive midfielder currently and an average one at that currently, but with the right coaching he can improve and be a valuable player centrally if the above is applied. 

• Like 1

Gibbs seemed to be steadily improving under Smith.

Bring Smith back?

Gibbs is a bright young player with good characteristics and the talent to really progress.

the problem is the tactics and approach of Wagner don’t suit him at all. He is a central midfielder with an eye for a pass and a good engine, where as the current demands for our midfielders appear to be drop in between our centre half’s and hit a hopeful ball over the opposition full back. The movement ahead of him is non-existent and the pace we play at utterly turgid. Gazza would struggle to look good in this team!

I watched with bemusement on Saturday about how over complicated Wagner is making it. We set up in a 4-4-2 (or maybe 4-4-1-1 dependant on what you see as Barnes role) but during the game in I guess what can only be described as an attempt to be fluid our players had all moved position but were still in a 4-4-2!

our centre half’s had split and effectively become full backs, our centre midfielders had dropped deep and effectively become centre half’s, our full backs had become wingers and our wide men had become central midfielders and Barnes and Idah carried on standing still up top! Complication for complications sake!

What Gibbs would give to play centre midfield and get the ball, look up and have the runs of Buendia, Cantwell, Vrancic, Stipermann or Pukki to aim for! 

• Like 1

He's always looked a really good player to me. Like the way he receives the ball on the half-turn and looks to move forward. As others have said, given what a shambles our midfield is at the moment, it's not the best environment for him to progress. I really hope our next coaching appointment is a good one - we have a few players who could really do with an excellent coach to help them progress (Idah, Gibbs, Placheta, McCallum, Rowe, even Sara immediately spring to mind).

• Like 2

Good player, poor coaching. One of many who have gone backwards this season (pun intended) due to poor coaching and tactics..