Sign in to follow this  
Tommo

Only 7 of the squad

2 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I wasn't questioning that at all, regarding Fisher, just pointing out that I don't think Jamal Lewis was all that good.

I hope the link to the Wolves right back on loan is genuine and that we let Fisher go and get more game time for the rest of this season though, looks like he needs it.

That would only be a good thing, is the Wolves lad any better?

36 minutes ago, Indy said:

Those calling for Warnock are the ones who need to be mentioned!

I’m with you there!    You make a fair point re this coach and I wouldn’t have a problem with it but some do get over excited without any evidence.   

I’d rather they let Wagner go and asked Adams to finish the season with Gibbs in CDM and Warner at CB so they got some decent development rather than just wasting the rest of yet another failed season with no progression.    

1 minute ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I’m with you there!    You make a fair point re this coach and I wouldn’t have a problem with it but some do get over excited without any evidence.   

I’d rather they let Wagner go and asked Adams to finish the season with Gibbs in CDM and Warner at CB so they got some decent development rather than just wasting the rest of yet another failed season with no progression.    

I agree about getting excited! It’s not excited but a change in ideology back to a fresh approach with time! Let’s not forget any new coach will need at least a couple seasons to turn this ****e show around! But the base is here we do have good facilities, ground & probably backing once it’s all gone through!

If as mentioned by others that Wagner will be cheaper to sack end of summer due to the nature of the KPI’s then I don’t have any issue with letting him see the season out knowing we will have Cuesta coming in! 

Sad we’re in this position to start with!

1 hour ago, daly said:

Fisher and Gibbs

You are joking 

Both will be decent players in about 3 years. Championship standard wise.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I agree about getting excited! It’s not excited but a change in ideology back to a fresh approach with time! Let’s not forget any new coach will need at least a couple seasons to turn this ****e show around! But the base is here we do have good facilities, ground & probably backing once it’s all gone through!

If as mentioned by others that Wagner will be cheaper to sack end of summer due to the nature of the KPI’s then I don’t have any issue with letting him see the season out knowing we will have Cuesta coming in! 

Agree… But we could tell him to change direction and give Gibbs and Warner proper game time and to sideline the mercenaries ….. 

Just now, ged in the onion bag said:

Agree… But we could tell him to change direction and give Gibbs and Warner proper game time and to sideline the mercenaries ….. 

Absolutely, trouble is there’s probably talk back room that we’re still aiming for a top 6 so Wagner will use dads army as he struggles with the form!

Absolutely with you, build up experience, not saying start all the youngsters but bet Baath & Forshaw out of the squad and add Warner & Gibbs give them Game time!

Alternatively send them out on loan to get game time ready for next season!

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

It’s a scandal that none of the senior leadership of Norwich City should survive. They all need to be sacked. All of them. 

It was less than a month ago that you were telling us that Sainz was a rubbish player from the German second division (sic)

13 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

What ‘mercenaries’ could Gibbs replace? 
Warner is not currently anything like good enough to replace anybody.

Just now, Commonsense said:

What ‘mercenaries’ could Gibbs replace? 
Warner is not currently anything like good enough to replace anybody.

I’d have Gibbs in CDM ahead of McLean (not one of the mercenaries I know) and Warner in too, as they will never be good enough without games and experience.   If we have to accommodate McLean elsewhere for the time being, possibly in a 3 at the back or further forward but not screening the defence.    

We’re not going up, we’re stagnant, seemingly regressing even, so need change asap and it would be foolish to wait until the seasons over whilst everyone gets more and more frustrated.   

1 minute ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I’d have Gibbs in CDM ahead of McLean (not one of the mercenaries I know) and Warner in too, as they will never be good enough without games and experience.   If we have to accommodate McLean elsewhere for the time being, possibly in a 3 at the back or further forward but not screening the defence.    

We’re not going up, we’re stagnant, seemingly regressing even, so need change asap and it would be foolish to wait until the seasons over whilst everyone gets more and more frustrated.   

Despite the hate, McClean has been one of our best players this season. We missed him badly yesterday. Indeed I would argue that we started without our 5 best players and only had one of them on the bench. Most clubs would have them available to come on as and when needed. Gibbs is very poor and not good enough for the team at present.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Gibbs is very poor and not good enough for the team at present.

Gibbs has seldom been played in his natural position, he's simply not a number 10 or second striker and yet that is where Wagner uses him.

No idea if he'd still look poor after a run playing deeper, but it is fair to acknowledge that he hasn't had that run this season.

2 hours ago, Indy said:

That would only be a good thing, is the Wolves lad any better?

I have no idea, but he's played 27 games for Rotherham this season and must be doing alright if its true that several other Championship sides want to take him for the second half of the season? 7 Jamaica caps in 2023 also.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Tommo said:

I agree that promotion is realistically over for us, even if we squeezed into 6th place (which really would demonstrate how poor the league is) we would more than likely fall short in the play off games. If we miraculously went up this season , I dread to think how the prem league season would go given that I only think we have 7 players good enough for a champ promotion push.

Promotion would be a disaster though wouldn't it.

I get the argument that its £100m in the bank and it would straighten out our finances, but we'd blatantly be spending nothing like that season we only signed Sam Byram as we know we'd have absolutely no chance of staying up even if we spent, and that would put Derby County's record for lowest points total at serious risk. Imagine this defence against Foden, Haaland and Doku.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

7 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

No...in the same way Tettey isnt anymore

I don't know , how old is Tettey now ? Maybe get him back till the summer along with Pinto? 

11 hours ago, Indy said:

Will Norwich City really appoint a Spanish 28 year old as manager? 

31 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I can't see him coming here now. We're looking more and more a basketcase of a club. Why would he want to leave the Arsenal set up to join a Championship club with a perceived 7 good players?

From our perspective we'd have an inexperienced Head Coach reporting to a rookie Sporting Director reporting to an owner who knows nothing of English football.

It's a massive risk. It needs a strong character who can run the show on his own if he had to. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

On recent performances I think Nunez could feel hard done by not being included in this list.

Giannoulis I think has the quality in an attacking set up with stronger team mates.

Our main issue is that with everybody fit we can put out a decent XI for this level, but of course its not very often that everybody is fit, and we'd have absolutely no quality left on the bench at a time when teams can make more subs than ever.

I'd agree with those two.

I think the issue is less fitness and more just a real lack of balance/structure to the squad, exacerbated by the head coaches obsession with a particular formation/system that only suits very few of the players.

In defence we've got three central defenders over the age of 30 who aren't very comfortable on the ball but we still want to play a higher line and play out from the back.

In midfield we want to play this 'box' formation which would require some solidity and discipline from our deeper lying two- instead we've generally had attack minded midfielders who will follow the ball in there.

Up front we want to press but we've only got one striker with the legs to do that.

The core of this team, in a more sensible formation/tactical set up could maybe work. McLean next to Hanley in central defence would give us some balance and confidence on the ball. Sara and Nunez with someone behind them could offer excellent movement and outlets. 

Sargent up top to chase and harry with Rowe and Sainz coming inside to support him when we have the ball with space created for Stacey and Giannoulis to overlap could create dangerous attacking situations.

Instead we seem to have built our entire formation around what best suits Ashley Barnes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I can't see him coming here now. We're looking more and more a basketcase of a club. Why would he want to leave the Arsenal set up to join a Championship club with a perceived 7 good players?

From our perspective we'd have an inexperienced Head Coach reporting to a rookie Sporting Director reporting to an owner who knows nothing of English football.

It's a massive risk. It needs a strong character who can run the show on his own if he had to. 

I suppose that is the point and to become manager at 28 for a championship (former premier league) club is quite an appointment. 

If he fails he will be able to go back to being a number 2 at a big club. Do well (which given the shambles of a club we are now this means play offs) then a premier league position beckons.

I dont expect he is interested but if he was I'd push to get him now - even if we agree with Arsenal we will wait until the end of the season and just use a caretaker manager for the rest of this. I know many wont be happy us 'giving up' this season but lets be honest promotion with this squad would be disastrous anyhow. I'd see it as a statement of intent for how we intend to develop a club and culture based on youth and brave decisions.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Why not? They appointed Dean Smith not so long ago. 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Not Hernandez? Who has actually won the championship twice? He's not good enough?

I mean Hurst scored a hat trick in a world cup final but I don't think he'd be good for us right now

Posted (edited)

Thanks for bringing all that back! If anyone mentions Roeder in this thread I'm off to the multi storey! 

Being serious though, Knapper would be putting his job on the line if he recommended a 28 year old. I have no objection but with the occasional exception, footballers are thick as a plank. They may not react well but the guy at Ipswich has done well so why not?

The answer to why not is that it would be the biggest gamble in the club's history. 

PS. The Arsenal guy is perfectly placed to do the job in one way. He would be coming from a club that can't hit a barn door with a banjo

Screenshot_20240108_130122_Chrome.thumb.jpg.01b16617b4b6af2763979aed203ef7a3.jpg

Edited by dylanisabaddog

5 hours ago, king canary said:

I'd agree with those two.

I think the issue is less fitness and more just a real lack of balance/structure to the squad, exacerbated by the head coaches obsession with a particular formation/system that only suits very few of the players.

In defence we've got three central defenders over the age of 30 who aren't very comfortable on the ball but we still want to play a higher line and play out from the back.

In midfield we want to play this 'box' formation which would require some solidity and discipline from our deeper lying two- instead we've generally had attack minded midfielders who will follow the ball in there.

Up front we want to press but we've only got one striker with the legs to do that.

The core of this team, in a more sensible formation/tactical set up could maybe work. McLean next to Hanley in central defence would give us some balance and confidence on the ball. Sara and Nunez with someone behind them could offer excellent movement and outlets. 

Sargent up top to chase and harry with Rowe and Sainz coming inside to support him when we have the ball with space created for Stacey and Giannoulis to overlap could create dangerous attacking situations.

Instead we seem to have built our entire formation around what best suits Ashley Barnes. 

Not free until May are you? Have a job offer for you.

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Excuse my ignorance but is this a reference to Carlos Cuesta, who is fast becoming the Carl Court de nos jours?

On 07/01/2024 at 14:27, The Raptor said:

Not Hernandez? Who has actually won the championship twice? He's not good enough?

Nowhere near good enough without the quality of Pukki and Buendia to create and score for fun. 
Like Idah, he has been badly exposed by inconsistency and dreadful final product when he does manage to retain control of the football. 

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

Excuse my ignorance but is this a reference to Carlos Cuesta

Personally I would love to see us appoint a young coach (assuming he's good enough, obvs). Apart from anything else, it would be a nice signal that we are starting a new era and trying to build something new. The club is clearly crying out for a fresh start and that would be a good way of doing it.

I don't know anything about Cuesta. Just thinking about the concept.

10 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Personally I would love to see us appoint a young coach (assuming he's good enough, obvs). Apart from anything else, it would be a nice signal that we are starting a new era and trying to build something new. The club is clearly crying out for a fresh start and that would be a good way of doing it.

I don't know anything about Cuesta. Just thinking about the concept.

Did we not bring in a new young coach a few months ago?

20 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Did Jamal Lewis ever stop having those issues?

One of the most over rated young players I can remember. Watford fans don't particularly rate him either.

He gave Stacey all kinds of problems at Vicarage Road a few weeks back... looked miles better than anything we have still.

• Like 3

We sold the wrong full back.

Should have got rid of Aarons and kept Lewis.

Would have got more money for Aarons and Lewis would have been a far better player to keep.

On 07/01/2024 at 21:27, Commonsense said:

Despite the hate, McClean has been one of our best players this season. We missed him badly yesterday. Indeed I would argue that we started without our 5 best players and only had one of them on the bench. Most clubs would have them available to come on as and when needed. Gibbs is very poor and not good enough for the team at present.

Oh come on, yet another poster who forms opinion based on the consensus of comments on here rather than proper understanding of the game!   Gibbs had potential as a CDM, perhaps not an EPL as he’s a little lightweight and not as athletic as the best ones, but still is more naturally suited to that CDM role.    He’s been played out of position, and only very occasionally, in a team with no clear patterns of play, an alien position and understandable if his confidence is affected.   it’s no wonder he’s ‘not good enough’ as you suggest without appreciating his circumstances.    

As for McLean, I don’t hate him, I want us to be competitive and the fact is, whilst he’s playing CDM in this team, we will never be competitive.   Buendia and Skipp aren’t in this team remember!

I can recognise he appears one of our better players right now in some ways but most fans don’t realise his natural reaction is to move with a player he’s marking rather than react to danger so he might have a range of passing but he can’t screen the defence and close down when it’s necessary.   It’s obvious that’s missing from our team though.

As for his passing, he doesn’t control game tempo, he doesn’t make players around him better because it’s quick play delivering to colleagues in space and his recent range of long passing is due to him dropping deeper and thus having more room and time on the ball to pick and deliver these passes.   It’s an indictment on the team that he’s one of our better performers.    I just don’t see the point of him!   Would rather we gave that role to Gibbs for a run of games and over time we might have better balance.   McLean can fight for a place where he might be better, that said, I think Sara and Nunez would win that battle.