Sign in to follow this  
JonnyJonnyRowe

Bristol Rovers Official Match Thread

Posted (edited)

Can't see one, so apologies if this steps on any toes.

Will be a likely reunion with Super Chrissy Martin, famously banned from every pub in the Beccles Area but widely respected by Norwich fans for being part of that lethal attack with Holt and Hoolahan in League One. One of the kids who found that our rise through the leagues came a bit too fast for him, but has had a great career since as a Championship stalwart.

8 goals in 16 league games for Bristol Rovers this season, definitely looks a bit on the Porky side (photo is very recent) but bound to ping one in against us.

420292432_chrismartin.JPG.1f2b019a48e52885376e37b8733b6418.JPG

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Thanks 1

Just make it the official match thread. Best not to mess around with a semi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You do know the match is in two days time right?

And?

• Like 1

Crikey, we haven't had the team line up thread, the predictions thread, and we already have the match thread? Wassgornorn?

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Could Chrissy Martin be a target for us this month? Couldn’t do no worse. 

He looks like he's suffering from the middle aged spread.

Did score this beauty recently though! (skip to 1 minute 38 seconds)

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

32 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Fine finish, though a little hint of handball to set him up...

Actually, this thread is a useful reminder to me to go to the game on Saturday.

We've got cup tickets for the first time in years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Fine finish, though a little hint of handball to set him up...

That's what coaches mean by playing to the whistle though, the defender who could have been closing him down was too busy sticking his hand up in the air and looking at the ref!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Actually, this thread is a useful reminder to me to go to the game on Saturday.

We've got cup tickets for the first time in years.

I have to confess that I'm only going to see Josh Sargent and Chris Martin. 

Hope Martin gets a decent reception, he's one of the few players from the Lambert era still playing professional football which makes me feel really old.

Capture.JPG.8e5d83b1d801a1c8f296163e5583fb26.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I have to confess that I'm only going to see Josh Sargent and Chris Martin. 

Hope Martin gets a decent reception, he's one of the few players from the Lambert era still playing professional football which makes me feel really old.

Capture.JPG.8e5d83b1d801a1c8f296163e5583fb26.JPG

Wow. Had no idea Chris Martin was still playing.

8 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Crikey, we haven't had the team line up thread, the predictions thread, and we already have the match thread? Wassgornorn?

But where's the Canary Call thread, or is that now filed under The Pure Negativity Thread?

This match feels like a free hit although a Cup run would be great. Away from the League tension maybe, just maybe, we'll have some liberated football to enjoy. OTBC

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

You just know he's destined to score against us

Is all the flooding in England going to cause any issues with Bristol getting to the game?

10 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Could Chrissy Martin be a target for us this month? Couldn’t do no worse. 

I'm still trying to get my head around this double-negative. One time I see it as "We could do worse", which reverses both negatives, and then I re-read it and see it as "He is the worst."

I should have taken that offer to go to a Grammar School when I passed my 11+.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, crispeduk said:

This match feels like a free hit although a Cup run would be great. Away from the League tension maybe, just maybe, we'll have some liberated football to enjoy. OTBC

Feels like ages since we've not been in a promotion or relegation battle in January. It's the perfect year to have a good go at the Cup. Hope we put out a strong team tomorrow.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
Cambridgeshire Canary told me what day it was. The shame
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Feels like ages since we've not been in a promotion or relegation battle in January. It's the perfect year to have a good go at the Cup. Hope we put out a strong team today.

Today? Who we playing? The invisible men?

• Haha 1

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Today? Who we playing? The invisible men?

Ha, yeah, can't shake the feeling it's Saturday. Will amend.

11 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Wow. Had no idea Chris Martin was still playing.

Never had the proverbial yard of pace to lose so can probably keep going indefinitely ...

I was a big fan of his back in the day though - and actually thought he was a bit underused towards the end of his time here.  We seemed to ditch him for - presumably the greater mobility and workrate of - Steve Morison pretty unceremoniously when I thought he might actually be quite a useful player that first Premier season under Lambert.

Whenever I've seen him in recent seasons he still has the touch but has definitely descended into one of those Sharp-elbowed Grumpy Senior pros.  Whoever is marking him won't have to run far, but they'll definitely know they've been in a game.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Quote from Wager from today's presser:

DW on Bristol Rovers: "We don't want a rematch. But if we have to then we take it."

That's the spirit DW, completely negative IMO

And mine… I hope he’s a bit more dynamic with his team talks because that’s so negative.

5 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Quote from Wager from today's presser:

DW on Bristol Rovers: "We don't want a rematch. But if we have to then we take it."

That's the spirit DW, completely negative IMO

He’s preparing us for a back 5 again! đŸ˜‚

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Barham Blitz said:

Never had the proverbial yard of pace to lose so can probably keep going indefinitely ...

I was a big fan of his back in the day though - and actually thought he was a bit underused towards the end of his time here.  We seemed to ditch him for - presumably the greater mobility and workrate of - Steve Morison pretty unceremoniously when I thought he might actually be quite a useful player that first Premier season under Lambert.

Whenever I've seen him in recent seasons he still has the touch but has definitely descended into one of those Sharp-elbowed Grumpy Senior pros.  Whoever is marking him won't have to run far, but they'll definitely know they've been in a game.

He got unlucky being injured for a large chunk of that Championship season and probably didn't go up with the confidence and momentum that the rest of the squad did.

And Steve Morison had a really good first season for us, which then led to Chris Martin not getting football in the first half of the season, loaned out second half. Then I vaguely remember wondering why we decided to loan out Chris Martin when James Vaughan couldn't keep fit for more than 3 days.

Probably worked out quite well for Chris Martin though as did alright on loan at Palace and then earnt himself a free transfer to Derby where he became a bit of a legend, gained a reputation as a good Championship striker which is probably an accurate reflection of his levels.

Norwich, Palace, Fulham, Derby, some big clubs on his CV! 

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

2 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

He got unlucky being injured for a large chunk of that Championship season and probably didn't go up with the confidence and momentum that the rest of the squad did.

And Steve Morison had a really good first season for us, which then led to Chris Martin not getting football in the first half of the season, loaned out second half. Then I vaguely remember wondering why we decided to loan out Chris Martin when James Vaughan couldn't keep fit for more than 3 days.

Probably worked out quite well for Chris Martin though as did alright on loan at Palace and then earnt himself a free transfer to Derby where he became a bit of a legend, gained a reputation as a good Championship striker which is probably an accurate reflection of his levels.

Norwich, Palace, Fulham, Derby, some big clubs on his CV! 

To be fair he's done OK out of football and rightly so as he's a very good naturally finisher. I won't forget that goal against Leeds.

Bit of a character when he was young can not remember why but was banned from training ground by Roeder  for break some rule or something for a week or so ,

Roeder said when he returned to training what have you learned by this Chris martin replied"  i am good at Fifa "