Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

How does Rowe compare?

The academy has had some good players blossom from it, with a number being sold for significant fees. 

How does Jon Rowe compare to some of those who has gone before. Is he of the same calibre? Is he better? What is the general opinion?

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

Interestingly there have been quite a few who would happily tell you that other than his two goals against the binners he did not look that great against them and if anything came across as a little soft and weak, given he seemed to fall straight to the floor at the lightest of touches. Since his injury he has come across a tad lightweight, but at the same time he clearly still has this finishing touch of class. He's one of those players who can be quiet for a while and look a little off but then out of nowhere will seemingly just come up with magic and get a great assist or get a good goal.

Of course I myself did think he had something good about him well over a year ago and made a thread about how I thought he seemed to have something rather special about him and thankfully it did seem I was right

The real thing I would like to see is to wait until the end of the season to judge him. We are only half way through, still a long way to go.

One more thing I will say is that he clearly loves being at this club and it's clear he just loves being able to play football. He's not one of those grumpy players who would keep their head down and never really shows much passion or spirit during a match you really can tell he just loves to play which is always a good thing to see from a player for obvious reasons.. Just comes across as a good decent guy. In some ways I could say he's like the opposite of Max Aarons in that regard, no offence intended to Max of course as he was a great player for us it's just you can tell he was never really that emotional of a player and did often come across a little sulky and moody at times in comparison to Rowe who just seems to always be smiling and having a good time on the pitch

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 2

It is hard to compare. A striker will attract attention for the goals he scores, whereas a defender will attract attention for the goals/mistakes he makes.

However, Rowe has shown that his early goals were not a one off, there is a genuine scoring ability there. And a player of his promise who can score with both feet.... and his head (Pukki) is a rare talent. Enjoy that talent while you can, is my thought.

Just seen the clip above. What a lovely lad, a natural with the kids.

Edited by RobJames
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

He's a star. Simple as that.

Yup.

Saw this stat on Twitter the other day.

Only two players aged 21 or under in all of Europes top two divisons this season have scored more than ten goals this season. Those two players are Johnny Rowe and Jude Bellingham.

Think that says all you need to know about Rowe.. No pressure on him with the comparison huh? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's got the X factor without a doubt.

Not many players have an engrained natural ability to find a way to win a match and he's got it. Still very raw but I think he'll prove himself a good Prem player like Eze and Olise who also came out of this league.

Bellamy had a bit more in my opinion, because he had that unique tenacity.

I can't remember a similar type of player to Rowe, but his raw natural talent reminds me of Craig Bellamy when he broke into the first team, he was just able to do stuff that no one else on the pitch would even try.  

If he stays fit and learns to be more consistent in his application and deal with the teams that are going to try to stop him by foul means and foul, he could be a really top player - definitely enjoy him while he's here !!

Good ball runner, instinctively good finisher, game awareness and distribution not so good. Needs a good coach!

• Like 3

I think he is still has a lot left in him in terms of professional development 

he has the attitude , courage and skill provided he can stay injury free he has a hell of a future ahead of him 

35 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Saw this stat on Twitter the other day.

Only two players aged 21 or under in all of Europes top two divisons this season have scored more than ten goals this season. Those two players are Johnny Rowe and Jude Bellingham.

Think that says all you need to know about Rowe.. No pressure on him with the comparison huh? 😉

No pressure on him at all.

As regards to being a lightweight there were some on here who were moaning because he had bulked up after his initial injury and long lay off. Guess he can't win.

Fantastic player. Has the knack of being in the right place at the right time.

Enjoy him while you can.

He's an absolute diamond in that little clip, wonderful to see.

Remember the excitement in the local press when Fash was coming through. Then, as others have said, Bellamy.

Rowe is up there with them in terms of the excitement and hope we are pinning on him.

He seems to love it with us-can't see him going anywhere in January, summer will be the test. But not impossible that he'll sign a new deal, albeit with the now obligatory release clause.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

.Fantastic player. Has the knack of being in the right place at the right time.

I would suggest it is more a case of being able to finish. Look at his first goal. Pukki seemed to be able to shift himself around the box and had that knack. But Rowe (so far) has that ability to get the ball between the sticks from any angle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

The academy has had some good players blossom from it, with a number being sold for significant fees. 

How does Jon Rowe compare to some of those who has gone before. Is he of the same calibre? Is he better? What is the general opinion?

He gets good goals and scrappy goals like all good finishers he's not afraid to chance his luck and have a go. Above all that he is a city man and a gentleman. Obviously he will go at some point we are a selling club and he deserves the PL

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Not many players have an engrained natural ability to find a way to win a match and he's got it. Still very raw but I think he'll prove himself a good Prem player like Eze and Olise who also came out of this league.

Why arent you BellaBellamy then?!

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Was always disappointed that Bellamy didnt feel more of an affinity to us, given this is where it all started for him. Was disappointed when he celebrated his goal against us at Anfield

23 minutes ago, RobJames said:

I would suggest it is more a case of being able to finish. Look at his first goal. Pukki seemed to be able to shift himself around the box and had that knack. But Rowe (so far) has that ability to get the ball between the sticks from any angle.

If this is the case are we failing to recognise a striker in our midst?

I gather he has played on both flanks at times this season. Where does he seem to play best?

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

58 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I can't remember a similar type of player to Rowe, but his raw natural talent reminds me of Craig Bellamy when he broke into the first team, he was just able to do stuff that no one else on the pitch would even try.  

If he stays fit and learns to be more consistent in his application and deal with the teams that are going to try to stop him by foul means and foul, he could be a really top player - definitely enjoy him while he's here !!

Watching him in pre-season I said to my brother that he reminded me of a young Ruel Fox, direct and able to cross a ball. In the first half of the season though my opinion has altered some what and I now feel he's more akin to a Bellamy/Fox hybrid. Direct and able to take players on like Fox, but with the ability to finish like Bellamy.

• Like 2

No, the game allows players to roam as they will, check those in the box when Rowe scored his second, not all were strikers. But yes, he has the ability to score.... whether that makes him a striker rather than a winger is a moot point. But not one either us will worry too much about if continues scoring 😊

1 minute ago, RobJames said:

No, the game allows players to roam as they will, check those in the box when Rowe scored his second, not all were strikers. But yes, he has the ability to score.... whether that makes him a striker rather than a winger is a moot point. But not one either us will worry too much about if continues scoring 😊

I just remember Neil Adams tried playing Nathan Redmond as a forward. I believe Walcott played as a forward more than once. Just wondering if there is a striker there, or if his attributes truly are suited wide

7 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I just remember Neil Adams tried playing Nathan Redmond as a forward. I believe Walcott played as a forward more than once. Just wondering if there is a striker there, or if his attributes truly are suited wide

You often need someone like Barnes, Holt to hold the ball up, be a target man who will inevitably get hit by the defenders. those like Rowe can cut in without that obvious marking. His is an ability to finish, to get the ball on target regularly. 20 plus this season ?

• Like 1

If you were any PL club you would be interested ,

Not the finished article but Potential is massive due to knowing how to score ,

i personally think he could make a striker not central but like a Bowen at west ham or Salah Liverpool ( not as good ) ,

30 million plus for me not because he has made it yet but Potential ,

i really do not understand why the club is waiting till summer for contract talks ,

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Was always disappointed that Bellamy didnt feel more of an affinity to us, given this is where it all started for him. Was disappointed when he celebrated his goal against us at Anfield

Watched a couple of interviews with him in recent years where he's been very complimentary of us as a club and only had good things to say and seems thankful for how we dealt with him as a teen, so perhaps put that down as immaturity. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I’ve met Bellamy in Cardiff  in his post playing days and he talked so fondly of everything ‘Norwich’ 

I was with a group of Cardiff fans and I mentioned my allegiance and seeing him as a kid etc.  he was glowing about us and how we gave him his first chance.  

Perhaps the hotbed of the occasion got the better if him at anfield ? Plus there was a few clubs in between …

Id like to think he loves us 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CardiffCanary said:

I’ve met Bellamy in Cardiff  in his post playing days and he talked so fondly of everything ‘Norwich’ 

I was with a group of Cardiff fans and I mentioned my allegiance and seeing him as a kid etc.  he was glowing about us and how we gave him his first chance.  

Perhaps the hotbed of the occasion got the better if him at anfield ? Plus there was a few clubs in between …

Id like to think he loves us 

Didn’t Iwan and team mates lock him in the toilet on the bus (before we flew everywhere) coming back from an away match? 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Didn’t Iwan and team mates lock him in the toilet on the bus (before we flew everywhere) coming back from an away match? 

I do remember iwan talking about him in his book 

there was a cup tie against a lower league team and ‘bellers’ was mouthing off as a teenager (at the time) about how much more he earnt than the lower league stalwarts he was playing against.

We subsequently lost the match and iwan wasn’t happy about his big mouth !!

I think they made Bellamy well aware of this !!!

You only have to see when he runs at defenders - you can see he has something special.  Yes, he has quiet spells in matches but is still dangerous - always ready to pounce if/when the moment comes. And the 10 goals so far speaks for itself. 2 goals against the binners too. Brilliant and plays football how it should be played - with pace, energy and enthusiasm.