Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Urgent - dog rescue

33 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Oops, sorry. Meant to post this on the dark side. 

Long live the doggie and long live non-football posts in the football section! Chaos hahahahahahahahah

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Oops, sorry. Meant to post this on the dark side. I fear a ban🙄

That alsatian is a city fan 

• Confused 1

LOL!

On a serious and related note, I always find it ridiculous when people give pets away or abandon them just when they get kids. Even worse, when they say "oh, this pet isn't coping well with the kids". Well, Karen, if you taught your kids to actually handle the pet with respect, you know....

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

LOL!

On a serious and related note, I always find it ridiculous when people give pets away or abandon them just when they get kids. Even worse, when they say "oh, this pet isn't coping well with the kids". Well, Karen, if you taught your kids to actually handle the pet with respect, you know....

I help out with a dog charity. A disturbing number of people are giving up dogs because they can't afford to feed them anymore. But last week a rather entitled lady who seemed bored with her lockdown puppy asked us to give her £2k for it. She was shocked to hear that we don't pay😲

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I help out with a dog charity. A disturbing number of people are giving up dogs because they can't afford to feed them anymore. But last week a rather entitled lady who seemed bored with her lockdown puppy asked us to give her £2k for it. She was shocked to hear that we don't pay😲

Bring back dog licences and make chipping compulsory.

Reintroducing dog wardens would also be a good idea but I guess they're gone forever, like bus conductors.  This is what's known as progress.

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

Bring back dog licences and make chipping compulsory.

Reintroducing dog wardens would also be a good idea but I guess they're gone forever, like bus conductors.  This is what's known as  progress.

I think chipping is compulsory. 

The problem with licences is paying for enforcement and the fact that in some areas it would simply be ignored. 

Most problems with dogs are little more than minor irritants but the big problem is the aggressive ones. Or rather the owners of the aggressive ones. I can't think of an answer to that other than to say any offence committed by a dog should be treated as if the owner did it. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Fair play to you for helping out and I'm really not surprised that many are handing pets over due to inability to afford the upkeep any more. (Then idiots like Miriam Cates wonder why the birth rate is low...).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I think chipping is compulsory. 

The problem with licences is paying for enforcement and the fact that in some areas it would simply be ignored. 

Most problems with dogs are little more than minor irritants but the big problem is the aggressive ones. Or rather the owners of the aggressive ones. I can't think of an answer to that other than to say any offence committed by a dog should be treated as if the owner did it. 

I was thinking more in terms of canine welfare - promoting responsible ownership - than the nuisance issue.  I take your point about enforcement though - it could be done quite easily with digital records but only if the political will was there.

• Like 1

I've never understood why people get pets, particularly dogs, without researching what is required to care for them. I have a cat atm, he's getting on in age, still years of good life in him, but I know he's not going to be around forever.

I fostered a couple of dachshunds a few years back to see if the cat would get on ok with them. Suffice to say he didn't, so we have put getting a dog on hold. In the meantime though I have been doing the research on what dog would best suit my fairly laidback and sedentary lifestyle when we have space in the family for a hound.

It's not difficult, just watch some youtbe videos on the breed(s) you're thinking about! There's plenty of information out there.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

I've never understood why people get pets, particularly dogs, without researching what is required to care for them. I have a cat atm, he's getting on in age, still years of good life in him, but I know he's not going to be around forever.

I fostered a couple of dachshunds a few years back to see if the cat would get on ok with them. Suffice to say he didn't, so we have put getting a dog on hold. In the meantime though I have been doing the research on what dog would best suit my fairly laidback and sedentary lifestyle when we have space in the family for a hound.

It's not difficult, just watch some youtbe videos on the breed(s) you're thinking about! There's plenty of information out there.

I reckon those who don't plan how to get pets are probably more likely not to plan kids either and have them by accident, but that's a pure hypothesis I have.

Totally agree with that first paragraph.

59 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

LOL!

I find it ridiculous when people who don't have kids think it would be simple to teach a 12 month old how to handle a dog with respect but there we are.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Best dog for a sedentary lifestyle is a Greyhound. Laziest animals ever😂

Just now, dylanisabaddog said:

Yeah I have found this to be true, which is weird for a dog that can move a the speeds they do.

I'm leaning towards a bulldog though, British not French. I am well aware of the health issues they suffer i.e. keeping skin folds clean etc. Their character though, stubborn but laid back, mirrors mine. Also I can blame the dog when I fart. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Yes that is peculiar. A friend of ours has a retired racer and we occasionally look after it. I thought it would be so full of energy there wouldn’t be a minutes peace but this one sleeps for 18 hours a day and just ambles around when it can be bothered to move.

That said you need your wits about you when on walks as it’ll dislocate your shoulder if spots a cat, rabbit or squirrel  which you haven’t seen.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I find it ridiculous when people who don't have kids think it would be simple to teach a 12 month old how to handle a dog with respect but there we are.

We don't have kids but a lot of our friends do. We have a cockapoo who is very "chill" and our friends take advantage of this, and utilise us as regular opportunities to introduce children to dogs in a safe environment and learn how to handle them.

Of course, not everyone has that luxury!

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

LOL!

Sweeping generalisation ahoy...

We had to rehome of our cats after we had our first kid because he was allergic to them, but some animals don't like children regardless of how the child is towards them. One of our friends had to give away one of their dogs because they couldn't trust it to be left alone with the baby, the dog used to position itself between our friend and the kid and growl and get aggressive whenever the friend was holding said baby. It's not all about training of either the pet or the kid, sometimes it's just unlucky...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Yes that is peculiar. A friend of ours has a retired racer and we occasionally look after it. I thought it would be so full of energy there wouldn’t be a minutes peace but this one sleeps for 18 hours a day and just ambles around when it can be bothered to move.

That said you need your wits about you when on walks as it’ll dislocate your shoulder if spots a cat, rabbit or squirrel  which you haven’t seen.

That's a hard pass from me on greyhounds then as I have already dislocated my shoulder 6 times. I don't need a 7th. lol

3 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Sounds like a cat!

The polar opposite in my limited experience of dogs is a sheepdog (collie?). I took our neighbours’ sheepdog out for a walk while dog-sitting and after two hours he was still straining at the leash, desperate to run around. If we ever got a dog (confirmed cat household) , I’d definitely be in the greyhound camp.

14 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Sounds like a cat!

The polar opposite in my limited experience of dogs is a sheepdog (collie?). I took our neighbours’ sheepdog out for a walk while dog-sitting and after two hours he was still straining at the leash, desperate to run around. If we ever got a dog (confirmed cat household) , I’d definitely be in the greyhound camp.

Can confirm this! Recently we rescued a Border Collie who is single minded - to the minute knows when she wants to play (walk, herd and run after a tennis ball) and drags you to the place where the fun begins. Morning and afternoon. She would play for hours if allowed. She also comes with an internal sat nav. Go somewhere once and it's put into the old system.

Wanted a healthy lifestyle with lots of walks regardless of weather (she is not bothered if there's a gale or rain or snow) when we got her. So, if Iwan's looking for a sleepy soul don't go for a Border Collie!

Otherwise, she is the most affectionate animal you could meet and lovely with any other people or children. 

Dogs come with so many traits as breeds. I still love terriers - probably why I'm a big fan of no nonsense defensive midfielders!😊

Edited by sonyc

You'll find it's worker dogs that need to be exercised most like collies, german shephards, lurchers, husky's etc. On grey hounds being lazy, any animal that's known for it's explosive speed or lots of fast twitch muscle fibers tend to come across as lazy because they instinctually save their energy for when they need it so they'll spend most of the day sleeping and won't want to move much. You don't want to tire out those fast twitch muscle fibers, you need to save it for the moment you have to either catch prey or escape a predator. Same story with cats, people think they sleep all day and don't move much because they're just lazy but it's more of an energy conservation thing and also why cats tend to have that mad 5 minutes every day because they have to get out that stored energy if not used (if you have indoor cats play with them daily or they'll break all your stuff!) and look absolutely nuts when they do because all that energy has to be released in a short time frame. 

That's why greyhounds are really low energy animals most of the time and surprisingly low maintenance and rescuing an ex race dog is a pretty good option for someone who doesn't fancy walking a dog twice a day. 

Yes, greyhounds make lovely pets. They’re so docile and don’t pull on the leash when out walking unless they see something to chase. They just pad along at your pace and don’t seem to spend that long sniffing every lamppost either.

The one we look after doesn’t even attempt to go upstairs as she doesn’t know what stairs are and their legs aren’t a good shape for tackling them anyway.

I’d say they’re probably the nearest thing to cats in the low maintenance stakes and ideal for less energetic owners.

8 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There's one in my local who just lays on the sofa most of the time. Even on a matchday when she's surrounded by people she doesnt make much, if any,  effort to move!

42 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

There's one in my local who just lays on the sofa most of the time. Even on a matchday when she's surrounded by people she doesnt make much, if any,  effort to move!

She’s certainly part of the charm that is the Rose 

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Like 1

On 20/12/2023 at 10:18, Iwans Big Toe said:

Yeah I have found this to be true, which is weird for a dog that can move a the speeds they do.

I'm leaning towards a bulldog though, British not French. I am well aware of the health issues they suffer i.e. keeping skin folds clean etc. Their character though, stubborn but laid back, mirrors mine. Also I can blame the dog when I fart. 🤣

If you want a dog to blame , a Labrador is a must. Either of ours can clear a room so I never get the blame now 😁

On 20/12/2023 at 09:13, dylanisabaddog said:

I used to be a professional dog walker in London way back. That was when dogs were allowed on 'trains', so I used take them for a ride. Much better than walking in the park. I used to teach them tricks as well. I remember when on the underground I once taught one of the dogs how to play the trumpet............................................he went from Barking to Tooting in less than an hour 😉

• Haha 2