PurpleCanary

THE BIG INTERVIEW

6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I sometimes - often - wish that our fans were more positive - like Portsmouth, but as a whole we aren't - the expectation is too high. It's just different. But she doesn't come out with very sensible things sometimes. After all, saying about 20% whingers.....does she count those who travelled to and stood in the freezing cold at Watford and who were premusably what she called "whinging" ? 

Can I just ask what is wrong with having higher expectations than a team stuck in a league below us? It’s almost as if those of us who want to hold the football club to a higher standard, maybe those of us who are old enough remember the days when we finished third in the prem or won a cup, are somehow in the wrong for wanting better than what has been offered. Whats worse is it’s been offered up far too often in the last 28 years! The 28 years the previous to Delia were far more successful than her tenure in charge. It wasn’t her who saved the club in the long run it was chase buying all the land around it that the club sold for huge profits which kept them afloat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

We interviewed over 20 people for the sporting director role and went for the one guy who doesn't have any experience in the role?

Damage control in full swing

If that’s what you took from MA comments Cambridge…I just don’t have words. MA came across extremely professionally and showing his experience and expertise. I have way more trust in Knapper than the faith I already did hearing how involved he was in his selection. Experience in a specific role is overrated. 

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 2

I genuinely like Delia. I massively appreciate her tenure and respect her for everything she has done.

She comes across bitter and unprofessional in these interviews. It’s such a jarring contrast to Attanasio.

I’ve no idea what she thinks her comments will achieve and it just has me wondering why say them. Don’t attack the supporter base, in any capacity, should be the number one rule for anyone involved in football.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I’ve no idea what she thinks her comments will achieve and it just has me wondering why say them. Don’t attack the supporter base, in any capacity, should be the number one rule for anyone involved in football

The only thing I can think of is that she is/was incredibly loyal to SW and ZW and feels the criticism they have received is unfair. Her loyalty is an attractive personal quality but it has not always served her or the club well. And completely agree she and MWJ did themselves no favours in that interview. 'Crass' is about the politest word I can think of.

9 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I genuinely like Delia. I massively appreciate her tenure and respect her for everything she has done.

She comes across bitter and unprofessional in these interviews. It’s such a jarring contrast to Attanasio.

I’ve no idea what she thinks her comments will achieve and it just has me wondering why say them. Don’t attack the supporter base, in any capacity, should be the number one rule for anyone involved in football.

Across the board, Delia has no clue whatsoever. She has done nothing for the club other than deliver mediocrity. Under her predecessor we were one of the top teams in the land and had a national profile.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

The only thing I can think of is that she is/was incredibly loyal to SW and ZW and feels the criticism they have received is unfair. Her loyalty is an attractive personal quality but it has not always served her or the club well. And completely agree she and MWJ did themselves no favours in that interview. 'Crass' is about the politest word I can think of.

It reminds me of the American phrase the customer is always right.

No one actually thinks the customer is always right, anyone who’s actually been in roles face to face with them knows there’s the usual amount of idiots and malicious twats to deal with in any customer base.

However what our American cousins understand is no good ever comes of publicly questioning those customers who, in your opinion, are in the wrong. You come across poorly even if you’re right and do way more damage than just sucking it up.

Other people who have no idea about the actual situation get riled up by just the idea of being treated that way themselves.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

No one actually thinks the customer is always right, anyone who’s actually been in roles face to face with them knows there’s the usual amount of idiots and malicious twats to deal with in any customer base.

However what our American cousins understand is no good ever comes of publicly questioning those customers who, in your opinion, are in the wrong. You come across poorly even if you’re right and do way more damage than just sucking it up.

Other people who have no idea about the actual situation get riled up by just the idea of being treated that way themselves.

Oh, completely agree and hope that was clear in my previous post. Was trying to understand,  not condone.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If we're limiting ourselves to only those who have done the role before, we'd be fishing in a tiny pool. There's a maximum of one at any club, and some clubs in this country don't even have one. 

By only looking at those with SD experience, we'd have two options:

Those who have held the position at a similar-sized or slightly bigger club are likely to have failed, and the ones who have succeeded would've done so at a much lower level.

Personally, I think picking someone who has experience of working at a massive club in a slightly lesser role is fine, and arguably the best option. If he can bring some of things that have made Arsenal's rebuild over the last couple of years successful, then we've got the right man.

In fact there are very few genuine sporting directors, with the kind of total control Webber had and now Knapper, in English football, and I think most of them are at Premier League clubs, so would not want to go down a division. There are quite a few who have the title but lack the overall power and are working with a fully-fledged manager, as opposed to a head coach.

The interview with Attanasio on the official club YT channel is good. Some real flesh to the bone of what the club is looking to do in the near and further out future and his own role. A lot more insight into what Ben Knapper is perhaps doing right now. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve been concerned with the lack of senior management driving this forward. MAs comments around having his team involved is reassuring to some degree. Although, the involvement also seems a little muddy as to actually who will do what. I think MA has a plan, but he needs to shift DS and MWJ first.

Wherever I have worked you tend to have some moaning whingers. The majority ignore them - until they perceive there actually is something not right.  

In all my years watching Norwich, I think the away support tends to be a good barometer of feelings. Lose the travelling support, and you have a real problem.  That is why the Watford debacle was significant - it is the beginning of the end.  

I also think on this occasion Delia has got it wrong, and her comments have increased the division between fans and club, and increased the pressure on the manager and team.

• Like 2

Some quotes/remarks from the Attanasio interview with Canaries TV:

He instanced how the aquatics pool is helping with recovery from injuries, which may explain why apparently Sargent, for example, is a week or two ahead of schedule.

Re Knapper: “He is already well into his planning as to what he wants to do with the club…but he doesn’t want to unveil it until it is finished.”

Attanasio also made the point that although Knapper has only been in place at the club  for two weeks he has to an extent been involved for the last three months. That he (Attanasio) had two interviews with Knapper, then telephone conversations, and also texting contact.

Attanasio said he would not get involved in the purely footballing side with Knapper, but would certainly ask what resources Knapper needed if he wanted, for example, to make some moves in the transfer windows.

Asked about cycles in sport, with implied understanding that the club is in a turndown phase at the moment, Attanasio said: "I see this as an opportunity to switch direction a little bit.”

“The team will have more of a Ben Knapper look than a Stuart Webber look.”

Intriguingly, Attanasio said he and Knapper had talked about whether acquiring an overseas club to act as a feeder was a good idea.

Attanasio was asked what he had done on taking over the Brewers:

“What we did was improve all the infrastructure - physical plant and software and brain power. It was all that worked behind the scenes that got us to the play-offs [after years of not]."

Re debt; “Even though there is more debt there is less risk because we have taken away third-part debt.”

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

MA saying things aren't always as bad/good as they seem, is true to a point. But in baseball, there is no relegation. Franchise sport is fairer in that there is more equality in finance etc, allows for more competitive sport. This is what I think we need his team to bring on board. Getting the right coaching staff and recruitment team, means you can level things out on a small budget. 

22 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Some quotes/remarks from the Attanasio interview with Canaries TV:

He instanced how the aquatics pool is helping with recovery from injuries, which may explain why apparently Sargent, for example, is a week or two ahead of schedule.

Re Knapper: “He is already well into his planning as to what he wants to do with the club…but he doesn’t want to unveil it until it is finished.”

Attanasio also made the point that although Knapper has only been in place at the club  for two weeks he has to an extent been involved for the last three months. That he (Attanasio) had two interviews with Knapper, then telephone conversations, and also texting contact.

Attanasio said he would not get involved in the purely footballing side with Knapper, but would certainly ask what resources Knapper needed if he wanted, for example, to make some moves in the transfer windows.

Asked about cycles in sport, with implied understanding that the club is in a turndown phase at the moment, Attanasio said: I see this as an opportunity to switch direction a little bit.”

“The team will have more of a Ben Knapper look than a Stuart Webber look.”

Intriguingly, Attanasio said he and Knapper had talked about whether acquiring an overseas club to act as a feeder was a good idea.

Attanasio was asked what he had done on taking over the Brewers:

“What we did was improve all the infrastructure - physical plant and software and brain power. It was all that worked behind the scenes that got us to the play-offs [after years of not].

Re debt; “Even though there is more debt there is less risk because we have taken away third-part debt.”

Thanks haven’t had an opportunity to take it in yet. Are you encouraged by what he said it all sounds quite pleasing .

20 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Thanks haven’t had an opportunity to take it in yet. Are you encouraged by what he said it all sounds quite pleasing .

If you put those quotes together with the "All of our deficiencies at this club were laid bare that night" comment from the other interview, sitting right next to S&J, then I think it is reasonable to assume Attanasio intends to propose/oversee significant changes at the club, albeit perhaps incrementally. And that Knapper is nobody's fool, and has the power to implement the changes he wants.

• Like 2

The more I hear from MA the more reassured I am.

This season may well be a write off but I feel very positive about the long term future of the club with him involved based on his current round of comments.

Maybe it’s naive and hopeful optimism but he just comes across as such an assured, calm and professional operator. Couple that with a clearly increasing involvement in decisions and an obvious signalling that he’s in this for the long haul and personally I’m reassured once we navigate the current situation there’s a plan.

You don’t discuss buying feeder clubs if you aren’t all in.

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

The more I hear from MA the more reassured I am.

This season may well be a write off but I feel very positive about the long term future of the club with him involved based on his current round of comments.

Maybe it’s naive and hopeful optimism but he just comes across as such an assured, calm and professional operator. Couple that with a clearly increasing involvement in decisions and an obvious signalling that he’s in this for the long haul and personally I’m reassured once we navigate the current situation there’s a plan.

You don’t discuss buying feeder clubs if you aren’t all in.

Quite. It is a shame the crass comments from Delia about fans and S&J's antagonism towards the suggestion that there are governance problems at the club have distracted from the forward-looking aspects of the interviews.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Quite. It is a shame the crass comments from Delia about fans and S&J's antagonism towards the suggestion that there are governance problems at the club have distracted from the forward-looking aspects of the interviews.

It is interesting that this subject has now been taken up by the EDP reporters and elsewhere. As far as my recollection goes, this was first highlighted by posters here, going back some time, such as Parma, shef, GMF and Essex. I don't remember it being a thing at all before then, and indeed only recently.

Ah, MA as he lands in the US to nepper Mike:

"Well that couldn't have gone better, the outgoing couple ending up looking like a couple of drunken, narcissistic, uncaring, out of touch control freaks. Their lack of understanding of how poor governance was at a plc where 49% of the club was not in their hands was total delusion. I appear a polite, driven, strategic, determined leader. Shame I let slip that "franchise" comment. Oh, and next year remind me to ensure the notes to the accounts set out the full details on our loans in then. There are still some people there who think I'm taking loads of cash out in interest. Can't wait for the next supper in Stowmarket where I drop the final offer for their shares on them whilst they finish off their third bottle of wine!"

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

If you put those quotes together with the "All of our deficiencies at this club were laid bare that night" comment from the other interview, sitting right next to S&J, then I think it is reasonable to assume Attanasio intends to propose/oversee significant changes at the club, albeit perhaps incrementally. And that Knapper is nobody's fool, and has the power to implement the changes he wants.

That is much my take from all the talking and statements. It's easy to focus on the emotional aspects associated with Delia's comments. As well as to jump right in with a reaction . Probably, in all honesty, she may have been better served to have kept her thoughts to herself but then she is someone who has increasingly expressed her thoughts out loud as well as her feelings.

MA"s comment about age of the squad and "deficiencies laid bare" as well as him alluding To Ben Knapper a few times gave me some reassurance - that all is plainly not right and on this matter he has a focus. His views too also took up a good percentage of the time and for someone who has been quite in the background it was good to see (and hear).  Whilst I am someone who thinks Wagner ought to go now I can also see that before the Xmas period might be optimal. To bring someone in who has some input into recruitment. That said, if Wagner can pull out a win or two in the meantime then there may be less hurry. That Wagner wasn't there was probably political and indeed possibly protective - but that alone is not a good sign for him.

Interesting, if not also frustrating times (for a person a tad impatient like me).

16 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Just thought I'd pop in to say how delighted I am to learn that 'twats' gets through the swear filter.

Twats.

• Haha 5

57 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Just thought I'd pop in to say how delighted I am to learn that 'twats' gets through the swear filter.

Twats.

Same lol

I can’t recall the fans getting so much stick from the club? The divorcees comment was beyond pathetic from a senior officer of a club . Now the matriarch of the club , at the very top of the organisation , invents some nonsense statistics about 20% of a fan base. 

Thanks Norwich City . You really are playing a blinder at the moment . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Twats delighted to learn this 😄

Twats

Twats

Twats 

Watts

Watts

Watts

Watts

For the for the benefit of the dyslexics amongst us....

On 01/12/2023 at 09:06, PurpleCanary said:

MA: The loans that come from us we look at as self-funding. One of the things that Delia and I were talking about after the meeting was that the plan is still to be self-funded. We need to get a plan from Ben (Knapper) as to what he wants to achieve.

We had some meetings today about how we can expand the stadium, and the training ground and all of that requires capital. If you’re going to try and shift the roster in any way, and Ben is talking about making it younger, then that requires some capital. We are going to put a list down of everything that we want to achieve and then we will prioritise.

Self-funding is the best programme because it keeps us in control. Once you bring it third parties, and it depends on the structure, we aren’t looking for big loans from other parties because then they have that hammer on you. In terms of equity investments,

if you had a passive partner that provided a lot of capital on a very long-term basis, like 15 plus years, we would consider it based on what is best for this club to make sure we retain control.

In the furore over Delia's unwelcome remarks, parts of what Attanasio had to say have got sidetracked. These comments about finance are significant because they point to Attanasio's current position of influence at the club, and his intentions..

They are the comments of someone who is already not just an equal partner with S&J but is arguably shaping/in charge of  longer-term financial planning. The kind of stuff you think about if you envisage being the owner in the not too distant future.

MA's facial expressions and body language coupled with his diplomatic and tactile speaking with a little damage limitation thrown in....is commendable, admirable and quite refreshing....

Then there's the 20% other two..... 

14 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

In the furore over Delia's unwelcome remarks, parts of what Attanasio had to say have got sidetracked. These comments about finance are significant because they point to Attanasio's current position of influence at the club, and his intentions..

They are the comments of someone who is already not just an equal partner with S&J but is arguably shaping/in charge of  longer-term financial planning. The kind of stuff you think about if you envisage being the owner in the not too distant future.

I suspect that it won't be long before the unusual 'condition' that MA must vote in agreement with Smith & Jones at Board meetings will soon work out the other way around in practise. Attanasio has far more to offer the club as things stand at the moment, and I'm not just talking finance here.

They might well have their personal devotion to NCFC and their following, but from now on I foresee their presences on the Board being a swansong, if not quite a sinecure.

There were strong hints in that last meeting. MA talked of the future as much as Delia talked of the past. The former's contribution was informative, enough has been said about the latter's.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I suspect that it won't be long before the unusual 'condition' that MA must vote in agreement with Smith & Jones at Board meetings will soon work out the other way around in practise. Attanasio has far more to offer the club as things stand at the moment, and I'm not just talking finance here.

They might well have their personal devotion to NCFC and their following, but from now on I foresee their presences on the Board being a swansong, if not quite a sinecure.

There were strong hints in that last meeting. MA talked of the future as much as Delia talked of the past. The former's contribution was informative, enough has been said about the latter's.

Yes, I think there was a kind of sense of the torch being passed on. And not only is Attanasio about to become the equal minority-owner shareholder at 40 per cent but he will be choosing a new director.