Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

RIP El Tel.

Best football played by an England manager in my lifetime,  very confident he'd have won a trophy with the current lot.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Some great pics here, including two with our very own Ken Brown.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/gallery/2023/nov/26/terry-venables-a-life-in-pictures

Content warning for @The Real Buh : there's a picture of him as England coach holding a cup of tea.

The caveat of course being our boy Tel there isn’t on the touchline on a matchday with a mug.

Drink all the tea you like on the training pitch but don’t turn up 10 minutes before kickoff on the touchline with a mug of tea in your hands. 

It’s a “Wally with a brolly” situation

RIP El Tel, a proper football bloke

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

The caveat of course being our boy Tel there isn’t on the touchline on a matchday with a mug.

Drink all the tea you like on the training pitch but don’t turn up 10 minutes before kickoff on the touchline with a mug of tea in your hands. 

It’s a “Wally with a brolly” situation

I feel like Cheryl in Curb Your Enthusiasm: "Nobody knows your rules, Larry!"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I feel like Cheryl in Curb Your Enthusiasm: "Nobody knows your rules, Larry!"

Terry was also a loveable cheeky chappy who deserved that mug of tea. Smith was having that mug of tea in the full knowledge he was about to get absolutely smashed and was happy to throw the game.

Very sad news indeed. It felt an all too brief spell with England and for an English manager to win La Liga is really some achievement.

RIP Terry Venables.

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I think the third goal here is probably the happiest I've ever been watching the England men's football team. RIP Tel.

I watched that game with a Dutch  mate, at 3 nil he picked up a broadsheet newspaper and started reading it. At 4 nil I set his newspaper alight. That tournament was the last time I really enjoyed watching England.

Cheers El Tel RIP. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I watched that game with a Dutch  mate, at 3 nil he picked up a broadsheet newspaper and started reading it. At 4 nil I set his newspaper alight. That tournament was the last time I really enjoyed watching England.

Cheers El Tel RIP. 

My boss at the time was Dutch, happy happy days 

3 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Best football played by an England manager in my lifetime,  very confident he'd have won a trophy with the current lot.

Would be much better than the woke puppet we have now. 

• Like 1

The Beeb played this at the end of the show that wrapped up Euro 96, if I remember correctly, whatever, or whenever, it was very poignant.

You have to be a certain age to appreciate this man, as england manager, numerous clubs home and abroad, a lot of managers  nowadays fall way below the standards he set

Euro 96 was the best ever with El Tel. Brave but right decision to bring Gazza back and the demolition of a highly fancied Dutch team will live long in the memory. RIP El Tel

• Like 2

That win v the Dutch was memorable for me because I missed every one of England's goals. My daughter was newly arrived and this match was the first time I had been left in sole charge of her. She cried just before each goal, and in my nervous naivety I got up from my position in front of the TV to check and coax her back to sleep. Every ****ing goal! We laugh about it to this day. 🤣 

Yes, sad news indeed. Popular and likeable as well as successful. As others have said, brilliant as England manager. If the FA had any cahunas, they would have kept him on. 98 world Cup would have been a different story, Glen Hoddle would have had another two or three years to mature before being offered the job. 

Can't change history, but Euro 96 was special. That Gascoigne miss in extra time in the semi-final - just millimetres from connecting - was how close we got to the final. 

Even in his short time as manager, El Tel transformed the England team. Brilliant. 

Cockney boy followed his footballing dreams, playing for several clubs, remember that cheeky grin at CR when playing for QPR…nearly won a major tournament as England manager and gain control of Spurs too!

RIP 

People forget how tactically innovative he was as a manager - probably never quite achieved what he could have done (possibly) as a result of his off the field interests, but some of the football his teams played over the years was absolutely scintillating. 

Euro 96 will remain long in the memory - Particularly given how turgid we were post Italia 90.  As a result of getting my timings slightly wrong I was at the cinema for the Dutch game but as word got around groups of us furtively slipped out of the showing of Fargo I was at to congregate in the foyer in front of a screen they had up so I saw the 3rd and 4th goals.  Not sure my girlfriend at the time ever quite forgave me for that but entirely worth it !  Having seen it since, I'd argue it was the best performance of an England side in my lifetime.  A shame he never got to build on that tournament.l

Thanks for the memories Tel.

• Like 1