3 minutes ago, Barry Brockes said:

You should be here. It's utter tripe. This is Malta ranked 171 in the world but Southgate still treats them as though they're Argentina.

Only got yourself to blame, not a cat I hells chance I'm paying to watch a Southgate side :classic_laugh:

I'm actually at the point where I don't want us to win the Euros next summer, Southgate doesn't deserve to be the manager that ends our trophyless run.

Edited by Ken Hairy

Looks to me like the players have realised this was embarrassing for them and have decided to bin Southgates instructions and play like they do for their clubs.

40 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Hmm not sure, look at Kanes left leg, he sticks it into the keeper.  I'd have been furious if that's given against us

Nah, the keeper doesn't get anywhere near the ball and dives in the direction of Kane at his feet. Kane leaves his leg but that's been a penalty in the "VAR era" every time so far.

And to now rule that Rice goal out is absolutely comical.

Just now, hogesar said:

Nah, the keeper doesn't get anywhere near the ball and dives in the direction of Kane at his feet. Kane leaves his leg but that's been a penalty in the "VAR era" every time so far.

Totally disagree with you on both, Kane was offside and in the view of the keeper, it almost touches him on the way past, under modern rules its going to be disallowed every day of the week, the pen was just not a pen, yellow may have been harsh though

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

But to me, a lot of the current problem with offside and VAR could be lessened if the old offside rule was reintroduced. Kane was for about 140 years of football. But tinkering and the desire for scores like basketball, the rule makers have complicated it by allowing it to be subjective.

So not passive, not level. If there are not two players between you and the goal, then you are off.

9 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Totally disagree with you on both, Kane was offside and in the view of the keeper, it almost touches him on the way past, under modern rules its going to be disallowed every day of the week, the pen was just not a pen, yellow may have been harsh though

Fair, but I've not seen a single ex-footballer say it wasn't a penalty yet. VAR have also confirmed that had the on-field referee given a penalty, they wouldn't have overturned it.

Equally, for the offside, under VAR rules it is a "subjective" offside because a decision has to be made if Kane was interfering. The official VAR line is "because Harry Kane jumped as the ball went past". Regardless of all that, because it's subjective, the VAR rule is that the on-field referee has to make the decision by going to the monitor.

Basically, VAR is an absolute shambles and this is yet another example.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Fair, but I've not seen a single ex-footballer say it wasn't a penalty yet. VAR have also confirmed that had the on-field referee given a penalty, they wouldn't have overturned it.

Equally, for the offside, under VAR rules it is a "subjective" offside because a decision has to be made if Kane was interfering. The official VAR line is "because Harry Kane jumped as the ball went past". Regardless of all that, because it's subjective, the VAR rule is that the on-field referee has to make the decision by going to the monitor.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that Kane dived, he actually went down in instalments..........

16 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

So little entertainment, so much passing backwards

Don't worry though Southgate is a great manager as he got us to bottle and lose a cup final against a poor Italy side with two 40 year olds in defence

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Agree about VAR, whenever its mentioned that decisions wouldn't have been overturned no matter what the on field decision was you have to question what the hell is the point of it? Either a decision is right or wrong, but this is why VAR doesn't work in football, so many of our laws are still open to interpritation, but cricket, rugby, tennis they're pretty much dealing with right or wrong decisions with no room for questioning.

Got to question your "ex-fooballer" comment, they all agreed that it wasn't one, Cole, Defoe and Lescott were all ex-pros I believe.  Only Dublin thinks it was

Edited by Ken Hairy

8 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Are there any fans of a Premier League side who’d want Southgate as manager, and I didn’t waste a second watching England tonight. 

I don't think there's too many fans of Championship sides who would want him, I'd be furious if he ends up here.

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

I don't think there's too many fans of Championship sides who would want him, I'd be furious if he ends up here.

That’s true, bland personality and style of play. 

The Southgate hate will never mot baffle me. Not the most exciting manager sure, but we've qualified with ease and beat Italy twice in process. I do wish he'd move away from Henderson and Maguire but its worth remembering qualification isn't always a cakewalk. 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, king canary said:

The Southgate hate will never mot baffle me. Not the most exciting manager sure, but we've qualified with ease and beat Italy twice in process. I do wish he'd move away from Henderson and Maguire but its worth remembering qualification isn't always a cakewalk. 

Agreed, especially as this England side is not great at all. People see the array of riches in attacking midfield and think there's a team there, but there's not much in defensive midfield and centre-half. On top of that there's nothing of real international class in goal and probably left-back either.

Southgate's doing quite well with a terribly unbalanced generation of players.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agreed, especially as this England side is not great at all. People see the array of riches in attacking midfield and think there's a team there, but there's not much in defensive midfield and centre-half. On top of that there's nothing of real international class in goal and probably left-back either.

Southgate's doing quite well with a terribly unbalanced generation of players.

This is obviously the big challenge of international football- you can't just bring in guys who suit your system.

I think there are a fair few fans who seem to believe he should be able to put Foden, Maddison, Saka, Bellingham, Grealish and Kane on the pitch at once. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

I'm actually at the point where I don't want us to win the Euros next summer, Southgate doesn't deserve to be the manager that ends our trophyless run.

You realise this is just unhinged right?

You don't want to see England win a major international tournament because you don't think the manager deserves it? 

Bizarre. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, king canary said:

You can think he's a dreadful coach, and that anyone else would have these players playing better, and that's a completely reasonable opinion, as long as you ignore the record of every single other coach England have had since 1970.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

You realise this is just unhinged right?

You don't want to see England win a major international tournament because you don't think the manager deserves it? 

Bizarre. 

The contortions people will get into on the internet to avoid saying 'Fair play, I was wrong' are just astonishing. Rare to see it in such neon clarity, though.