Bradwell canary

Gibson, complete lack of confidence

So far 20 mins in tonight he has passed backwards at every opportunity as usual. On Saturday he was doing it from near the half way line.

Clearly lost all confidence in taking the ball forward, of making a forward pass.

To me he is a disaster waiting to happen.

1 minute ago, Bradwell canary said:

So far 20 mins in tonight he has passed backwards at every opportunity as usual. On Saturday he was doing it from near the half way line.

Clearly lost all confidence in taking the ball forward, of making a forward pass.

To me he is a disaster waiting to happen.

He started the season well,  by his standards. But he has been the predictable liability for weeks now. Should be on the bench 

19 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Most of them appear to be lacking confidence, thats what poor form does to you.

Was about to say. Half the team seem like they don't know how to pass and the other half seem to not know how they're supposed to be playing.

Sara f***s up twice, one leading to a shot on goal. 

Rowe can't pass to save his life tonight.

But yeah, Gibson, who has done absolutely nothing wrong, gets a thread about passing back.

Classic pinkun.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

But yeah, Gibson, who has done absolutely nothing wrong, gets a thread about passing back.

Classic pinkun.

Are you his Dad? Or his Mum? Or his wife? You seem very defensive of the clown 

For me Bradwell is spot on. Presumably it is the Manager's instructions for Long to play the ball to Gibson who either fiddles with it and gives it back or more often slides it to Ginnaul etc who can do nothing with it as he is close to the touchline and closely marked. To be fair Gibson on occasions is looking to move it forward but nobody in midfield is really looking for it or well placed. For me the most disappointing aspect of this is that the Manager must see that this style of play is no good at all BUT does nothing about it.

• Like 2

All I can assume is Batth wasn't Wagner's choice, but then again neither was Omo, so I'm not confident in his ability to spot a good defender.

Edited by Iwans Big Toe

11 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

All I can assume is Batth wasn't Wagner's choice, but then again neither was Omo, so I'm not confident in his ability to spot a good defender.

For sure he can’t spot awful one either

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, S_81 said:

He started the season well,  by his standards. But he has been the predictable liability for weeks now. Should be on the bench 

He’s not good enough for the bench.

2 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Classic pinkun.

Agreed. Sara and Rowe were utter dog****. That bit at the end where Rowe throws himself on the ground Cantwell style, look at me, look at me, not my fault!

Not many of that squad are fit to wear the shirt.

Unfortunately (yet predictably) many fans are now starting to 'hound' Gibson. Cat calls, jeers even a smattering of boos could be heard last night pretty much every time he touched the ball yet the other 10 Tools escaped scot free! In my humble opinion the public berating of one of our own players in this manner is almost always totally unacceptable apart from a very few notable circumstances such as................

1. The player publicly berates the paying public either by press comments or gestures on the pitch towards them.

2. The player clearly displays an obvious lack of effort and application

3. The player has acted unprofessionally off the field and let down the club and teammates  (L Grabban refusing to play at Rotherham from memory)

Gibson has a 'gaffe' in him for sure but so did Krul and so does Hanley and so does Duffy. That should not excuse the worrying trend amongst Yellows to 'get at Gibson'. The guy is a real professional and has never come anywhere near the criteria specified above. Yes he is lacking in confidence and both him and Duffy could well do with being taken out of the firing line and replaced by Warner and Baath.   

• Like 1

Gibson gets some unneeded stick because of how much we seem to want to go through him. He had the ball for the most time of any player last night, had the most touches, played the most passes etc etc.

That means he's under the spotlight more and gets noticed more which isn't really fair. I didn't see him do much wrong last night- if he's being given the ball and the players infront aren't giving him options then what can he do?

• Like 1

Gibson has been our best CB this season by some distance. He's also our only CB who can progress the play by passing accurately into midfield. 

Sara, Duffy, Stacey, Gianoulis have all made more direct mistakes leading to goals than he has.

The "stick" he gets is because fans refuse to revise an opinion they've made on anything or anyone, and once they decided he was useless last season he's not allowed to be good again. It's borderline pathetic but seemingly a modern football thing.

• Like 1

I don't think he has been as bad a s many make out but I also don't think he has been as good as some say. He, IMO, looks nervous with the ball at his feet. 

My point is, if he and Dufty are our options, why are we playing the ball through them so so much? We need that sitting CDM who is comfortable on the ball. Not only does that relieve the CBs, it also meand Sara plays further up.

For the past two games he probably has more possession than any other Norwich player. The problem is nobody in midfield makes themselves available in space so it eventually given back to the keeper or alternatively out to Dimi who is closely marked and we get nowhere. Of course the keeper could just lump it up the field but again we do not possess the forwards with the ability to get control of the ball.  He lacks support not confidence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vos said:

For the past two games he probably has more possession than any other Norwich player. The problem is nobody in midfield makes themselves available in space so it eventually given back to the keeper or alternatively out to Dimi who is closely marked and we get nowhere. Of course the keeper could just lump it up the field but again we do not possess the forwards with the ability to get control of the ball.  He lacks support not confidence.

And the play has to go through him because Duffy is nothing close to as good a passer of the ball and the same applies to Stacey too. Gibson as a CB at least looks up and when Nunez did drop or Mclean found space, Gibson found them. So whilst being better at passing than Duffy he's also made less goal-conceding errors.

Yet the PinkUn never fails to complain about Gibson. You have to laugh or you'd cry, really.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

And the play has to go through him because Duffy is nothing close to as good a passer of the ball and the same applies to Stacey too. Gibson as a CB at least looks up and when Nunez did drop or Mclean found space, Gibson found them. So whilst being better at passing than Duffy he's also made less goal-conceding errors.

Yet the PinkUn never fails to complain about Gibson. You have to laugh or you'd cry, really.

To be honest it is yet another 'buy a ****ing defensive midfielder' issue because that position isn't all about tackling and breaking up[ play.

Hanley is also not good on the ball. But we didn't have these issues under Farke because there was nobody better in the division than Oliver Skipp at dropping deep and picking up the ball from the central defenders. The team worked hard on the training pitch at making sure there were constantly options for Hanley/Gibson but Skipp was central to this. 

It isn't Sara's game and it isn't McLean's either. It also doesn't seem that Wagner and co put anywhere near as much effort or thought into structure in these situations so players are less well drilled on it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

To be honest it is yet another 'buy a ****ing defensive midfielder' issue because that position isn't all about tackling and breaking up[ play.

Hanley is also not good on the ball. But we didn't have these issues under Farke because there was nobody better in the division than Oliver Skipp at dropping deep and picking up the ball from the central defenders. The team worked hard on the training pitch at making sure there were constantly options for Hanley/Gibson but Skipp was central to this. 

It isn't Sara's game and it isn't McLean's either. It also doesn't seem that Wagner and co put anywhere near as much effort or thought into structure in these situations so players are less well drilled on it. 

Don't disagree but then we still need to change how we play because a CDM isn't going to be doing the progressing, passing and driving with the ball that Mclean has been doing. Unless you get a real, top quality one that's probably too good for the level you're at (welcome Oli Skipp).

If we just swap Mclean with a natural CDM then we'll be essentially tasking Sara with running the rest of the midfield and linking up himself. For me, we fundamentally need to change that somehow.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Don't disagree but then we still need to change how we play because a CDM isn't going to be doing the progressing, passing and driving with the ball that Mclean has been doing. Unless you get a real, top quality one that's probably too good for the level you're at (welcome Oli Skipp).

If we just swap Mclean with a natural CDM then we'll be essentially tasking Sara with running the rest of the midfield and linking up himself. For me, we fundamentally need to change that somehow.

Yes I'd agree- you ideally need Sara further up the pitch if you bring a proper DM in next to McLean, although I do think a DM with Sara next to him can also work if you have Nunez in at 10. 

We won't be getting a "proper" CDM until at least 1 January 2024. In the interim we have to find a way of winning with the players at our disposal. A good manager works with a structure that consistently brings out the best in his players. A bad manager tries to impose a structure on a team that they cannot consistently play to. No difficulty which type of manager we have right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Gibson has been our best CB this season by some distance. He's also our only CB who can progress the play by passing accurately into midfield. 

Sara, Duffy, Stacey, Gianoulis have all made more direct mistakes leading to goals than he has.

The "stick" he gets is because fans refuse to revise an opinion they've made on anything or anyone, and once they decided he was useless last season he's not allowed to be good again. It's borderline pathetic but seemingly a modern football thing.

Very true and it's also a 'follow the herd mentality'. This bandwagon of abuse towards Gibson is still relatively restrained but is bubbling away and last night came close to breaking through. Many fans join in as they are dull of mind and simply think it's 'cool' to follow the rest of the sheep.  I would hate to see any him 'hounded out' of the club but can easily see it happening. As I said, the bloke is a top professional and performs with great honesty and integrity. Fans should direct their anger at others who are far more  to blame for the current deterioration.

• Thanks 1

For me I think the problem is still structural. I have no problem with McLean/ Sara dropping in to get the ball, the problem I have is with the second phase. Low, hard passes into feet (bypassing the chasm-like gap in midfield) theoretically work, providing the players receiving those passes have strength + touch to hold onto the ball; this is where Idah + Nunez fail whilst Sarge + Barnes work.

The result is usually 6-7 players stranded ahead of the play, very regularly, when the ball is turned over. It happens with startling consistency and means any mistakes (which increase as form gets worse) are much more likely to be punished.

If we're to halt this slide we need to start calling a spade a spade and get simpler & more solid. We can't keep allowing 10 scenarios a game where we only have 3 slow players back against a counter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Very true and it's also a 'follow the herd mentality'. This bandwagon of abuse towards Gibson is still relatively restrained but is bubbling away and last night came close to breaking through. Many fans join in as they are dull of mind and simply think it's 'cool' to follow the rest of the sheep.  I would hate to see any him 'hounded out' of the club but can easily see it happening. As I said, the bloke is a top professional and performs with great honesty and integrity. Fans should direct their anger at others who are far more  to blame for the current deterioration.

Spot on

I find Gibson a player who it is difficult to get worked up about either way. Rarely a scapegoat, never a hero.

He doesn't particularly dominate his role, is never man of the match and usually puts in a five or six out of ten performance whilst always making me nervous when he has to play it around at the back.

He seems to have been a part of some good defensive performances and some p-iss poor ones in equal portions. A donkey I can't pin a tail on.

What gets me about the man is that he seems as generally unconcerned about things as I am about him. Is he more animated in the flesh than he seems to be from the screen?

He just turns up. He's probably a better footballer than a Malky,  a Jackson or even a Grant Hanley, to name just three, but I know who I'd want to ditch out of the four of them.

If he left tomorrow it wouldn't impact upon the club at all yet he is reportedly the highest earner and wasn't exactly cheap in the first place.

Edited by BroadstairsR

22 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

We won't be getting a "proper" CDM until at least 1 January 2024. In the interim we have to find a way of winning with the players at our disposal. A good manager works with a structure that consistently brings out the best in his players. A bad manager tries to impose a structure on a team that they cannot consistently play to. No difficulty which type of manager we have right now. 

Don't disagree. And like I said above, even with a proper CDM, I don't think we can get away with Wagner's tactics - second half vs Leeds it left Mclean 1 vs 3 in midfield. Very few CDMs at this level are going to cope with that (albeit they might do better).

50 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Are you kidding me ???!!! Are you going to blame the kids when things ain't going right ? Do you expect the kids to play all the football for the club ! What about a £9.5m, £45K a week,  deadbeat who shirks responsibility and hides behind these kids. For that kind of money we want a player who can lead others by example - not hide so you don't make a mistake ! You're darn right I want him out of this club - I never wanted him here in the first place ! City fans deserve better than this 3-legged donkey !  

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Going to visit Ben tonight Hogesar ? You taking him carrots, apples or oats this time ?