Big Vince

Delia To Sell Rowe

22 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Rowe's contract expires June 2025 which probably means we need to sell in June 2024?

He has bags of potential but I can't see us getting top price unless he signs a new contract.

He's probably having his head turned right now by the England lads as well.

Par for the course being a Norwich fan, just like it is for most clubs.

Yes but there are selling clubs then there is Norwich City. We do it on an industrial scale.

Edited by Big Vince

10 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Yes but there are selling clubs then there is Norwich City. We do it on an industrial scale.

An industrial scale is a bit of an elaboration. We sell to keep a float.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hey, I made a thread about the probability of us selling Rowe and Sara in January first..

You all said it was ridiculous. Well you're not laughing now are you?

... And I'm not either given I did not want it to happen and I was thinking of it being a worst case scenario🙃

Actually yes, if one could be bothered, because Rowe won't be sold in January.

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Rowe's contract expires June 2025 which probably means we need to sell in June 2024?

He has bags of potential but I can't see us getting top price unless he signs a new contract.

Are you sure? I thought I'd read June 2024

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/jonathan-rowe-signs-new-contract-at-norwich-city

You are of course right. So we'll sell in the summer rather than January. Although if a desperate club has £25m going spare in January...... 

2 hours ago, Big Vince said:

And that is precisely because they keep selling on an industrial scale. Way in excess of anything Chase attempted.

Ward and Newsome were sold by Barclays Bank to save his skin temporarily.

15 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Ward and Newsome were sold by Barclays Bank to save his skin temporarily.

You forgot Sutton 

Edit

And Fox

Edit 2

And of course Stringer, Walker and O'Neil left in despair. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You forgot Sutton 

Edit

And Fox

Edit 2

And of course Stringer, Walker and O'Neil left in despair. 

Walker was poached.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

If / when Rowe is sold it will be a success story for all parties. We developed him and he obviously played well enough to earn the move. It proves the model can work, we just need to be able to attract the better prospects, much like Brighton do and Southampton did.

This 

12 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Rowe or Sara only leave if a stupid offer comes in. We will have learned a lesson by keeping Aarons and Cantwell for too long - both should have been sold on much earlier. That cost us £20m or so. More likely that we move Idah on and Kamara comes back from Pompey.

Where are you moving Idah too? We would have to pay him 3 years money to leave.  

10 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

If / when Rowe is sold it will be a success story for all parties. We developed him and he obviously played well enough to earn the move. It proves the model can work, we just need to be able to attract the better prospects, much like Brighton do and Southampton did.

And that is the problem with the club , unfortunately so many fans like you have been brainwashed into this thinking . How would selling Rowe in January or the summer be good for all parties? I thought we are a football club who want success on the pitch, not selling everyone with potential.  

1 hour ago, Sufyellow said:

And that is the problem with the club , unfortunately so many fans like you have been brainwashed into this thinking . How would selling Rowe in January or the summer be good for all parties? I thought we are a football club who want success on the pitch, not selling everyone with potential.  

I get you. But pretty much all clubs sell because for the player it is reaching the pinnacle that their ability allows. For some, that will be Norwich City, despite moves. Josh Murphy a recent example, I guess. But Spurs sold Kane, United have let hell and all players go, Beckham, Stam, Liverpool with Owen…

The players don’t have, or rarely have, the affection and affinity to stay at a club if they think they can play at a higher level. Coupled with clubs pretty much all having a “price” for any player, the idea of retaining any player through “ambition” is archaic.

If Norwich offered Jonny Rowe £250,000 a week but he got the same offer from Man City - or even less in fairness - where do you think he’d choose to play his football?

The days where we could sign Martin Peters are looooonnggg gone. Unless there’s a reintroduction of a wage cap, we’re unlikely to retain our very best players for long and even if they did, players with international aspirations will want to play in the top competitions for the best possible team for maximum exposure. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

I'm afraid it's reality, especially now that players have freedom of contract. Smaller clubs like Leicester and Brighton will have brief periods of success but it's impossible to keep producing players on a shoestring. The big clubs have bigger resources than ever and clubs like ours have the choice of selling players like Rowe or losing them for nothing when their contracts expire. 

It's been the same in the entire 55 years I've been watching City play. If we had kept all the good young players we have produced over that period we would have gone out of business a long time ago. 

If we offered Rowe an improved long term contract now his agent would insist on a cheap release clause. Players now have all the power. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

On 13/10/2023 at 08:35, Old Shuck said:

All but the uber elite are selling clubs if the right offer is made. Tottenham didn't want to sell Kane....and, long ago, we didnt want to sell Maurice Norman, Ron Davies or Kevin Reeves. Did Delia sell them as well?

Or Chris Sutton... in fact, he was going absolutely nowhere according to Big Vimto's hero.

Yet we now know that was a bare faced lie and essentially the card that toppled the tower. An era built upon the foundation of our longest period of top flight success.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

Rowe wasn’t ready for the first team this season according to most just 3 months ago! 

Well they were wrong. Rowe even looked good during his brief appearances in the Premier League. 

It's a massive shame he was injured for most of last season, who knows a fully fit Rowe could have got us to the Play-offs.

Not saying he will be World Class or even close, but he has clearly has a level way beyond NCFC.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

It's not a problem with the club. It's a problem with every club except the absolute elite.

Rowe won't be sold in January, either.

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It's not a problem with the club. It's a problem with every club except the absolute elite.

Definitely in the summer but if someone offers stupid money in January and we're miles off the play offs..... 

It would have to be really silly money though. 

As for elite clubs, there are now only a very few in Europe who are safe from this problem. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

Let's hope not , because if we are now selling players after half a season of success then the club  is pointless,  fans comparing it to spurs selling Harry Cane , how many seasons did he give spurs . How long did Sutton play before he left and he gave us relative success.  Even selling Rowe in the summer,  should be looked at as club failure by the fans. How do anyone think we build a team like this, who can compete? 

16 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I get you. But pretty much all clubs sell because for the player it is reaching the pinnacle that their ability allows. For some, that will be Norwich City, despite moves. Josh Murphy a recent example, I guess. But Spurs sold Kane, United have let hell and all players go, Beckham, Stam, Liverpool with Owen…

The players don’t have, or rarely have, the affection and affinity to stay at a club if they think they can play at a higher level. Coupled with clubs pretty much all having a “price” for any player, the idea of retaining any player through “ambition” is archaic.

If Norwich offered Jonny Rowe £250,000 a week but he got the same offer from Man City - or even less in fairness - where do you think he’d choose to play his football?

The days where we could sign Martin Peters are looooonnggg gone. Unless there’s a reintroduction of a wage cap, we’re unlikely to retain our very best players for long and even if they did, players with international aspirations will want to play in the top competitions for the best possible team for maximum exposure. 

All those players you mentioned, gave their first club a few years at least , I have no problem with Rowe leaving us in 3 years time , same with big Andy . I have a huge problem with selling them before they have given us anything. Are we still desperate to sell even with the Americans on board . 

All those players you mentioned, gave their first club a few years at least , I have no problem with Rowe leaving us in 3 years time , same with big Andy . I have a huge problem with selling them before they have given us anything. Are we still desperate to sell even with the Americans on board . 

Slight problem here. Its just over another 2 years before the Americans are fully on board. Until this scenario is reached will they want to throw money at us.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vos said:

Slight problem here. Its just over another 2 years before the Americans are fully on board. Until this scenario is reached will they want to throw money at us.

If at 40 % they aren't willing to hold on to a player like Rowe , then we are all in for a lot more disappointment.  Its already the worst take over in football history.  

If at 40 % they aren't willing to hold on to a player like Rowe , then we are all in for a lot more disappointment.  Its already the worst take over in football history.  

I can think of 10 takeovers just off the top of my head that proved to be considerably worse in just 12 months of them taking over.

4 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

Big Andy hasn’t played a single minute since signing, is he still injured?

23 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

Superb. I couldn't agree more. The sooner Norwich City get new fans the better our chances will be. At the moment we are not a football club. We are a player manufacturing business where players roll off the production line in industrial quantities, have a quick spin between the white lines at Carrow Road to impress suitors, then are sold.

Existing fans seem to think this amounts to supporting a football club. Sheer madness.

• Like 1

If we don't get promoted (which seems likely), I could see either one or both of Rowe and Sara leaving in the summer, not just because of a need to balance the books post-parachute, but also because of pressure from the players, who may not want to be part of a mid-table Championship club.

Imagining the current team minus these two players looks very worrying.

• Like 1

If he’s any good, he’ll be sold and we’ll make a tidy profit to go towards the extortionate costs of running a second division football club.

If he’s s**t he’ll end up in the reserves and then released on a free at the end of his contract.

The same as every other player at this club and any other 

11 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

If we don't get promoted (which seems likely), I could see either one or both of Rowe and Sara leaving in the summer, not just because of a need to balance the books post-parachute, but also because of pressure from the players, who may not want to be part of a mid-table Championship club.

Imagining the current team minus these two players looks very worrying.

So the club is on a total downward spiral,  even with new owners in the back ground. The only chance we have of success for us is to hold on to good players for at least 2 or 3 seasons.