Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

City “ happy with Jon Rowe’s contract “

Means absolutely fcuk all, if somebody wants him, they’ll get him wether it’s two years or twenty, they will sell.

5 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Like every other club? 

No, there are selling clubs then there is Norwich City.

A lot will depend on what league we're in and the club's plans to strengthen the squad elsewhere.

Neither will commit to a long spell in the Championship I fear.

2 hours ago, Big Vince said:

No, there are selling clubs then there is Norwich City.

Evidence? Compare us to similar clubs and show the differences?

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Ben Knappers first job for me is to sort Rowe and Sargents contract situation.. Sargent should be offered a 5 yr deal, like Idah. Concerned he’ll reject it though, and look to leave in the summer.

I bet we never offer a player a contract of that length again. Five years is extraordinary. The most you hear or read from any club is four. With us there is usually, and will continue to be, the option of another year, usually two plus one. That'll be what, ultimately, Rowe and Sergent are offered. If its below their wishes or they feel they want to move on this summer, we can then be advised how '....we wanted 'x' to stay and offered him a new deal but he has chosen to leave the club', therefore softening the blow, PR wise, and making the player (like, one example, Howson) look the villian.

Can't read the full article because paywall, but this does strike me as quite surprising. Rowe signed his contract in January 2022, since which his stock has risen substantially. He has less than two years remaining and is clearly one of our brightest talents, so even if we do need to sell him in January/next summer, getting him to sign a new deal will raise his value substantially.

Can anyone summarise what the club have actually said in this article? Are they saying they're not looking to extend it, or just that they're not worried about the potential interest/offers that may materialise at this stage?

We'll offer him a new improved contract to fend off short term interest. I imagine come summer it might be a different story.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Evidence? Compare us to similar clubs and show the differences?

Christ Hoggy, I hope Essex doesn't see that! 

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Ben Knappers first job for me is to sort Rowe and Sargents contract situation.. Sargent should be offered a 5 yr deal, like Idah. Concerned he’ll reject it though, and look to leave in the summer.

On this occasion your concern is unfounded. He's just signed a deal till 2028.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but look at @cambridgeshire canary's post 'America'

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

I bet we never offer a player a contract of that length again. Five years is extraordinary. The most you hear or read from any club is four. With us there is usually, and will continue to be, the option of another year, usually two plus one. That'll be what, ultimately, Rowe and Sergent are offered. If its below their wishes or they feel they want to move on this summer, we can then be advised how '....we wanted 'x' to stay and offered him a new deal but he has chosen to leave the club', therefore softening the blow, PR wise, and making the player (like, one example, Howson) look the villain.

I'd barely written that before the club announced its new *five year contract* for Sergent. Well shut my mouth!

OK. I bet they never offer Rowe a similar deal....waiting....waiting......

46 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

I bet we never offer a player a contract of that length again. Five years is extraordinary. The most you hear or read from any club is four. With us there is usually, and will continue to be, the option of another year, usually two plus one. That'll be what, ultimately, Rowe and Sergent are offered. If its below their wishes or they feel they want to move on this summer, we can then be advised how '....we wanted 'x' to stay and offered him a new deal but he has chosen to leave the club', therefore softening the blow, PR wise, and making the player (like, one example, Howson) look the villian.

I like it when conspiracy theories are debunked within minutes 😅

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Can't read the full article because paywall, but this does strike me as quite surprising. Rowe signed his contract in January 2022, since which his stock has risen substantially. He has less than two years remaining and is clearly one of our brightest talents, so even if we do need to sell him in January/next summer, getting him to sign a new deal will raise his value substantially.

Can anyone summarise what the club have actually said in this article? Are they saying they're not looking to extend it, or just that they're not worried about the potential interest/offers that may materialise at this stage?

i think he has 2 years plus club has a option of another year so in effect 3 years 

not that it matters at all i would rip that up and offer him 5 years now 

3 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Can I have the lottery numbers please?

• Haha 1

Can you say that about Rowe next time so he signs another contract today 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Extract from Pink'Un report if this is what you wanted; in effect club feel with over 2 and half years effectively to go they can wrap up an extension over the summer. However my thought would be that at his current rate of progress better to offer the extentsion now as it will be cheaper:

" ... Norwich comfortable with his current contractual situation – with Rowe having two years left on his stay. There is thought to be an option in the club’s favour in that contract."

"Concerned he’ll reject it though, and look to leave in the summer"

I have news for you

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Extract from Pink'Un report if this is what you wanted; in effect club feel with over 2 and half years effectively to go they can wrap up an extension over the summer. However my thought would be that at his current rate of progress better to offer the extentsion now as it will be cheaper:

" ... Norwich comfortable with his current contractual situation – with Rowe having two years left on his stay. There is thought to be an option in the club’s favour in that contract."

Ahh, thanks Shef. The option of an extra year certainly wasn't mentioned when the contract was initially signed, as there's nothing on my Contract Conundrums thread to indicate an extra year. Would be a big bonus for us if that option exists, though... would certainly buy us some time.

2 hours ago, Old Shuck said:

I bet we never offer a player a contract of that length again. Five years is extraordinary. 

This aged well :classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Ahh, thanks Shef. The option of an extra year certainly wasn't mentioned when the contract was initially signed, as there's nothing on my Contract Conundrums thread to indicate an extra year. Would be a big bonus for us if that option exists, though... would certainly buy us some time.

From the official website: "Norwich City forward Jonathan Rowe has signed a new contract at the club through to the summer of 2025."

As you say, no mention anywhere of the club option.

The volume of contract renewals has slowed to a crawl, certainly in comparison to 2019 & 2020.

A lack of cash? Waiting for new investment? Waiting for Webber's replacement?

• Like 1