Sign in to follow this  
Ken Hairy

Alex Matos

Just come on for Chelsea in the Premier league,  begs the question why he got nowhere near the 1st team here if he's already getting gametime at Chelsea. 

Not sure we get anything as he left here after his 2 year scholarship effectively expired in July, he wasn't sold.

I don't know how it works with young players or why we didn't offer him another contract before it expired. On face value it seems a bit daft not to have done, but maybe he had already been tapped up by Chelsea before that.

Harsh that we do all the hard work for nothing.

I'm guessing the club offered him fresh terms well in advance of his contract expiring but he rejected them in favour of going to a 'big' club. At that point, there was little point in us trying to blood him in the first team, regardless of whether he was one of our most promising prospects.

I'd be shocked if we didn't offer him a new deal, and assuming we did, Chelsea would have to pay compensation as he's under the age of 24.

"Norwich City Under-18s forward Alex Matos has signed his first professional contract with the club. The academy youngster began his two-year scholarship programme at the Canaries at the start of July 2021."

Which suggests he did not sign another contract so was able to leave in July (23). I believe that we are due payment

"“Training compensation shall be paid to a player’s training club(s): (1) when a player signs his first contract as a professional, and (2) each time a professional is transferred until the end of the season of his 23rd birthday. The obligation to pay training compensation arises whether the transfer takes place during or at the end of the player’s contract. The provisions concerning training compensation are set out in Annexe 4 of these regulations.

Wiser heads could perhaps explain this - Annexe 4

http://bdjur.almedina.net/citem.php?field=item_id&value=2193956

Reading between the lines I think Matos or more probably his agent had done the deal with Chelsea long before it was announced. Meaning he was never going to sign a professional deal with Norwich. Norwich almost certainly knew this was case and probably saw little point of advancing him into the first team.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Not sure we get anything as he left here after his 2 year scholarship effectively expired in July, he wasn't sold.

I don't know how it works with young players or why we didn't offer him another contract before it expired. On face value it seems a bit daft not to have done, but maybe he had already been tapped up by Chelsea before that.

Harsh that we do all the hard work for nothing.

No, there are payments due. He was 'nicked' from Luton as was Lewis and Aarons (?).  I expect the binners feel the same about Gibbs, as do York re Godfey, Coventry re Maddisonand whoever it was re Buendia. I think the balance is still very heavily in our favour.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/matos.htm

Not clear if we offered him another contract. With Chelsea on the scene would he have signed? 

I guess it's all about the add ons.

If I'm not mistaken, we have to offer a contract extension on equal or better terms in order to be eligible for compensation, so I'm sure we would've done so even if we knew he was going to Chelsea. 

Interesting from his Wikipedia page we nicked him from Luton in 2016. Good luck to him I guess but leaving Norwich for Chelsea is an odd move. Personally I really don’t like the trade in young players before they sign pro contracts let alone young players moving across the world. 

Most young players in my opinion would be better off signing the pro contract at the team they grew up with getting first team experience then moving through the pyramid if their performances allow. It seems these days young player gravitate to the big clubs in there teens to then find there level in there 20s after a succession of loan spells.

Luton probably think they have as much right to compensation as we do.

Compensation and add-ons are different things I would imagine. Training compensation surely won't be running into millions.

It wouldn't surprise if Chelsea have played him early to trigger a compensation 'event' rather than wait for him to be sold for millions.

11 hours ago, Soldier on said:

He went on a free with add ons didn’t he? Should surely get ££ for a premier league debut.

Correct and he opted to not sign a new contract and hence nothing is payable. He saw Norwich as a passing through club rather than one to grow on. He would of outgrown us pretty quickly according to various people in the game touting him for big things. Shame we couldnt tie him down, but clearly Poch rates him as featuring recently.

Usually these transfers end up going to court for compo to be set. But guessing we agreed the addons and let him speak with Chelsea. As long you offer a contact like we did, you get the compensation.

11 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Most young players in my opinion would be better off signing the pro contract at the team they grew up with getting first team experience then moving through the pyramid if their performances allow. It seems these days young player gravitate to the big clubs in there teens to then find there level in there 20s after a succession of loan spells.

i understand your point ,

But the player might think this might be my only chance at a big club , 

Also as soon as he signed for Chelsea his Financial future was secured  ,

if he got injured in his next game and never kicked a ball again

he would be far better off signing for chelsea than being here or Luton 

11 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i understand your point ,

But the player might think this might be my only chance at a big club , 

Also as soon as he signed for Chelsea his Financial future was secured  ,

if he got injured in his next game and never kicked a ball again

he would be far better off signing for chelsea than being here or Luton 

Yeah I get but the point I see is if Norwich managed to get their hands on 4 players of say Craig Bellamy ability all at the same time. 

Say a defender, defensive and attacking midfielder and striker. A spine. Realistically in the modern game it is highly likely none of them would play a first team game for Norwich. A crop of really good young players is the only way without financial injection to move the club for forward. This is the same for every club. it seems that path is now blocked.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Yeah I get but the point I see is if Norwich managed to get their hands on 4 players of say Craig Bellamy ability all at the same time. 

Say a defender, defensive and attacking midfielder and striker. A spine. Realistically in the modern game it is highly likely none of them would play a first team game for Norwich. A crop of really good young players is the only way without financial injection to move the club for forward. This is the same for every club. it seems that path is now blocked.

i Agree we need to get a good batch , only way is to bite the bullet and give them pro contracts early on good money ,

that's a gamble but it would stop poaching for nothing ,

As soon as someone said this lad is special should of said 10k a week sign here for 5 years huge gamble but if he looks that good might be worth it 

13 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm guessing the club offered him fresh terms well in advance of his contract expiring but he rejected them in favour of going to a 'big' club. At that point, there was little point in us trying to blood him in the first team, regardless of whether he was one of our most promising prospects.

I'd be shocked if we didn't offer him a new deal, and assuming we did, Chelsea would have to pay compensation as he's under the age of 24.

Yeah this could be true Wacky, and would make sense.

14 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I think you are right Ken Hairy, how can a lad not be good enough for Norwich City  but be good enough for Chelsea?............

Have you watched Chelsea recently? 😂 

But in all seriousness it's a good question.

2 hours ago, Rolf Harris said:

Usually these transfers end up going to court for compo to be set. But guessing we agreed the addons and let him speak with Chelsea. As long you offer a contact like we did, you get the compensation.

It was out of our hands. His contract was up and he was signing for Chelsea. Folk would have to be extremely naive to think players/agents are not talking to other clubs while still with their current club.

'Training' costs are paid to the club he was with when under 24.  - which I doubt reflect the true worth of a player, as many clubs have found when we come calling and, and has happens to many lesser clubs (see Gibbs), or Sainz

54 minutes ago, RobJames said:

It was out of our hands. His contract was up and he was signing for Chelsea. Folk would have to be extremely naive to think players/agents are not talking to other clubs while still with their current club.

'Training' costs are paid to the club he was with when under 24.  - which I doubt reflect the true worth of a player, as many clubs have found when we come calling and, and has happens to many lesser clubs (see Gibbs), or Sainz

We will be getting millions if he ends up being any good. Which has been said in the deal for the addons. We can't complain. 

41 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

It's quite common, didn't the same thing happen with Angus Gunn?

Yep this is my point if there is anyone any good in the academy they will be bought before they hit the first team.

From his point of view he was never going to get a sniff with Pukki in his way while he was here and from this season onwards we have Sargent that we've invested 8m in and Idah who we'd given a 5 year contract to. Better to be getting a handful of sub appearnces for Chelsea than doing the same for us. 

As for why he didn't get a chance here? The same really. When Pukki was fit he started and we'd invested so much into the other two that we pretty much had to give them every opportunity. We were also always fighting for promotion or against relegation and he was probably not seen as ready by that point. Also let's not forget that however highly rated Matos is, Idah was just as highly rated at his age, the 'next Ibrahimovic' etc and I'm guessing that after all the work and patience we put into Idah we wanted to give him the chance to pay it back.