Fu(k Ipswich. But it doesn’t take a genius to see that they’ve got a talented manager, some good young players, and have scouted well from lower leagues. All things that we don’t have right now - and I think that’s where the grievance on this thread lays. Makes it worse it’s Ipswich, of course. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

And some will still stay true to Coventry, Lincoln, Newcastle, Burnley, Cambridge, Kings Lynn…while posting on here. 

I should think Midlands has nuts like raisins after they came from two nil down to beat Wolves. But then he’s probably still p1ssed off it wasn’t at Molineux so he could pop along and be amongst his (current) own.

Norwich “fans” that big up Ipswich aren’t awake, they aren’t sage, they’re lily-livered cry babies that can’t cope with the battle, can’t cope with the contest. They’d have stayed at home when Iwan beat them 2-0, they’d have stayed at home when Bellamy bagged the header, they probably stayed at home for the Milk Cup semi second leg. At least recent (relatively recent) games have been on telly, eh?

No pride. No bottle. 

There’s a difference between to ‘ big up’ and recognise them doing well. 

To ignore them, or not care, is a front. No Norwich fan, or any football fan for that matter, ignores their fiercest rivals. And none don’t feel at least a little bit of hurt when they are performing better.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 3

Two clubs moving in opposite directions. One of them has employed a lot of staff who once worked for the other. Why did they jump ship? 

one of them has invested this summer in hungry, young up and coming players and a a manager with bags of energy and something to prove. The other has opted for cheap journeymen in the twilight of careers with nothing to prove and less energy to play week in and week out.  

one of them - recognising a glass ceiling - restructured and welcomed new ownership and investment and is reaping the harvest, the other has owners holding on for dear life and making transfer of ownership very slow and drawn out with no obvious outside investment 

I could go on. But that one of these side is Ipswich makes me gag- they are like we were in the lambert days at present. We are back to the pre-Roeder days when we hoped old boys like Sibierski would paper over the cracks but they didn’t…I guess it’s all cyclical 

• Like 10

Just so you know a lot of binners are screenshotting posts on here and posting them across social media.

Bunch of weridos. Still, interesting that Ipswich has Internet given they only discovered electricity about two years ago

They seem to have been noticed and are grabbing the headlines.

The value of a good young coach with modern ideas drilling his squad, unanimously with his methods and instilling them with a self-belief and a sound team ethic. They have become good in record time.

Quite frankly, he makes our last two managers, especially Smith, seem as dinosaurs by comparison. 

The credit 'Stewpot' deserves for unveiling Damiel Farke is cancelled out by the discredit he deserves for both Smith and, dare I say it David Wagner. 

It is of course difficult with the latter, but as I have said before the jury seems permanently out. It's either a helping of the very good or a dollop of the very bad. At least he's likeable.

We still don't really know what the outcome will be for the team and this man…....... at least I don't for one. We have him for the foreseeable future though but things could change as soon as SW repairs that wonky chain on his very expensive bike and gets on it in order to get as far away from the Fine City as is possible. He was good, but perhaps he has become a dinosaur as well. In fact taking into account the age of some of the playing staff and, of course, of the two old 'luvvlies' in charge of the whole business it really does seem that Carrow Road becomes more Jurassic Park by the day with the Portaloo suddenly becoming Carnaby Street (well not quite,)

The much-needed wind of change at City might well be blowing though, gently at first but blowing it is. This season could well turn out to be a period of stagnation for the club after all, whilst we all patiently wait for a reboot and some inspiration and (wishfully) financial input from the good old US of A.

Back to Binland and the fact that little old ITFC is making the news. The upside of this is that their excellent young manager is likely to be poached sooner rather than later and then the whole club will inevitably descend back into the pit where it belongs whilst a newly enhanced NCFC will surely fly again as the rightful Kings of Anglia. 

Other clubs may be starting to covet McKenna but he won't be going anywhere and won't want to.

What could he have at a Palace, a Bournemouth or a Sheff Utd that he doesn't already have at Ipswich and where he may have Premier League football next season anyway.

Lambert caused a stir here and he was never going to have his feet under the table at Norwich for long but, during our promotion season to the PL there wasn't a chance he'd go anywhere, he wanted two consecutive promotions on the old CV first. 

And he couldn't wait to move on after that. Does McKenna feel the same way about Ipswich, does he see them as a stepping stone and nothing else? Very doubtful I'd reckon, he may well be ambitious but his thoughts on his next move may well be 2 to 3 years down the line, not 2 to 3 months.

A lot of us are in denial over Ipswich. "....they haven't played anyone decent yet....it'll all go **** up when McKenna leaves....their squad is a League One squad...." etc etc.

When they were in the **** and we were flying, it still didn't stop people saying that football was forever cyclical and we should enjoy what we had as the wheel would turn. Well, it is & they're now on the rise again. Fine. Good for them. But I'd rather focus on us and where we're heading for the next 1, 2, 5 years.

One club matters. 91 others don't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

When they were in the **** and we were flying, it still didn't stop people saying that football was forever cyclical and we should enjoy what we had as the wheel would turn. Well, it is & they're now on the rise again. 

Indeed, and I was one of those people. We have had a good long run in the ascendancy and I have enjoyed every minute of it. At some stage it was inevitable that it would come to an end. The wheel of fortune turns slowly but it is always turning.

• Like 3

As long as they sit in the top 2 unfortunately I can't see McKenna going anywhere. The bottom 3 of the EPL already looks nailed on so the managerial sack race might be a slow starter this season.

I said previously that having Ipswich in the same league as us and Leeds too, changes the dynamics a lot and fans appraisal of our own performances will be skewed by them.

We need to use that as motivation to improve ourselves. Norwich v Ipswich probably means little to Wagner, but to the fans of both clubs? A slight blip at the moment but if improvement doesn't happen quickly I suspect change might come sooner than later.

15 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

As long as they sit in the top 2 unfortunately I can't see McKenna going anywhere. The bottom 3 of the EPL already looks nailed on so the managerial sack race might be a slow starter this season.

I said previously that having Ipswich in the same league as us and Leeds too, changes the dynamics a lot and fans appraisal of our own performances will be skewed by them.

We need to use that as motivation to improve ourselves. Norwich v Ipswich probably means little to Wagner, but to the fans of both clubs? A slight blip at the moment but if improvement doesn't happen quickly I suspect change might come sooner than later.

Wagner is here until at least January, unless a new DoF doesn’t rate him (assuming we have one coming soon) - or if we get beaten badly by Ipswich. 

The fact he’s shipped 6 at Plymouth and lost to Rotherham - after 1 win in god knows how many at the end of last year - goes to show that he’s untouchable somewhat while Webber the clown lingers.

I keep reading this about cyclical phenomenon on here as if it's inevitable. It really isn't. For sure every dog has his day and vice versa, but that this should be expected in Milankovitchalian (?) terms when applied to football is nonsense, imo.

Even if it could be the turn of that wheel would never be anticipated as being so rapid. We have disintegrated before our very eyes. ITFC has arisen from the nonentity of League One to potential Premier League inhabitants in fast-forward mood.

Putting it simply, we cannot blame Stuart Webber's decision-making, Dean Smith or even Kenny McClean for our downfall if the cyclical effect has been in force. Putting it simply, what would have happened if we had appointed McKenna instead of Smith? Would the wheel have turned then?

I don't wear it. They have been mostly in the mire since Robson left the club. We have had consistently decent times under Stringer, Walker, Worthington, Lamber, Neal and Farke whilst they have had a long list of failures and, in recent years, in quick succession with Keane, Jewell, McCarthy, Hirst, Lambert and Cook. All dreadful in their own particular way.  

It is down to the basics ie. the right decision-making of the right fit at the right time but In the meantime the leitmotif of the situation, of "On the Ball City" (preferably in its original rendering) if you like, will stay constant.

The misalignment of East Anglian football currently in force won't last long. Just a temporary spell of patient waiting needs be the order of the day.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Two clubs moving in opposite directions. One of them has employed a lot of staff who once worked for the other. Why did they jump ship? 

one of them has invested this summer in hungry, young up and coming players and a a manager with bags of energy and something to prove. The other has opted for cheap journeymen in the twilight of careers with nothing to prove and less energy to play week in and week out.  

one of them - recognising a glass ceiling - restructured and welcomed new ownership and investment and is reaping the harvest, the other has owners holding on for dear life and making transfer of ownership very slow and drawn out with no obvious outside investment 

I could go on. But that one of these side is Ipswich makes me gag- they are like we were in the lambert days at present. We are back to the pre-Roeder days when we hoped old boys like Sibierski would paper over the cracks but they didn’t…I guess it’s all cyclical 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

No way you've just said this. You bigged up Marcus Evans back when he took over Ipswich, on and on about how they were ambitious unlike our owners and look what happened.

That you have the ego to go and post this yet again despite that is probably the funniest thing on this thread so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

No way you've just said this. You bigged up Marcus Evans back when he took over Ipswich, on and on about how they were ambitious unlike our owners and look what happened.

That you have the ego to go and post this yet again despite that is probably the funniest thing on this thread so far.

Many a true word is said in jest.

34 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Even if it could be the turn of that wheel would never be anticipated as being so rapid. We have disintegrated before our very eyes. ITFC has arisen from the nonentity of League One to potential Premier League inhabitants in fast-forward mood.

Over-reacting much? It’s September, as we seem to need to keep pointing out.

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Over-reacting much? It’s September, as we seem to need to keep pointing out.

Not after last weekend.

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Just so you know a lot of binners are screenshotting posts on here and posting them across social media.

Bunch of weridos. Still, interesting that Ipswich has Internet given they only discovered electricity about two years ago

Have you been informed of this or seen it Cambridge? 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

On 23/09/2023 at 17:43, Robert Barnes said:

Who would like to play them right now

Morning all, I thought i'd give my two penneth on this thread, being a binner and all that.  

In my view we are not quite as good as our current form suggests, but equally you guys are not as bad. We have a very good manager in McKenna who I believe is destined for the top, but he is still learning and is not infallible. It's not that long ago that we were struggling to break down the massed ranks of Cheltenham Town and Lincoln, and i've no doubt Championship teams will start employing the same tactics soon if they want to leave PR with something.

While we look a very good side at present and score lots of goals, we are also conceding quite a few and at some point we will start coming out on the wrong side of the margins if this is not adressed. In my view We WILL go through a bad patch of form this season and possibly will drop out of the top six as the season progresses. It's early days and a long season, I said before a ball was kicked that I would take top 10 and beating you guys at least once, and I stand by this.

That being said, we do have a very well coached squad of players whith amazing team spirit, momentum and togetherness, and last night showed that, with our second string ( 10 changes from Sat ) still showing the same ability, organisation and spirit as the strongest 11. This type of thing can take you a long way and if we get fortune with injuries and a fair wind we could well stay in the top six and make the play offs. I don't see top 2 as a realistic possibility. 

I watch NCFC with interest and any hatred I once had for you has mellowed with age. I would genuinely like it if both teams could make the top flight and hold their own there. For what its worth I think you still look a decent team for this level and have some very good players. If you hadn't lost both Barnes and particlarly Sargent to injury I suspect you would be well inside the top 6 and things would be looking a lot more positive. 

In summary, I understand a few people being concerned with the apparent turning of the tables but It is still September and there is such a long way to go, no sensible Ipswich fan is claiming any glory at this point, we are just enjoying finally seeing some decent and entertaing football after 15 years of absolute dross. Some Town fans had us as league One Champions this time last year and by December we hit poor form and the same people were sh1tting the bed and throwing their toys out, some even calling for the Managers head. By the time we meet each other in December things may look very different, but bring it on, I for one can't wait to have a competitive derby game back on the fixture list again. Cambridge at the Abbey didn't quite cut it for me.

Edited by BlueHope76
mistake
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Good post from Mr. BlueHope, excellent in fact. I do feel however that you are being a tad disingenuous towards your club's re-emergence and have bent over backward slightly too far in evaluating our downturn.

We were outstandingly fabulous at times under Farke and, despite all, we were not THAT far away from becoming a bit more established at the top level. However, it is very difficult to assess where to pin the tail on our particular donkey of at team at the moment. One week the likes of myself see us as play-off contenders, a couple of weeks later and throw in a couple of significant injuries, and we have become quite awful whilst having sufficient assets not to be written off completely.

Either way, it's along hard season and fortunes will vary. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Have you been informed if this or seen it Cambridge? 

Just go and browse any championship related groups and posts on Facebook. 

Binners are all over them like a plauge

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 hour ago, BlueHope76 said:

Morning all, I thought i'd give my two penneth on this thread, being a binner and all that.  

Great post. More realism from you than some posters on this thread!

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Not after last weekend.

Fair point. There are two league games I haven’t seen this season, Rotherham and Plymouth so I may have a slightly rosy view!

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Just go and browse any championship related groups and posts on Facebook. 

Binners are all over them like a plauge

He doesn't need to, he spends most of his time on "The Tractor Boys FB Forum" anyway 😉 

16 hours ago, K Lo said:

I wondered how a pension fund could justify investing into a football club, which, more often than not, is a complete money pit.
I'd never want my pension funds going into propping up a football club ! 

Pension funds (and this one especially) can be massive . A fund manager will divide the pot into various risk profiles. Ranging from cash holding and gilts  through stock markets and property all the way to highly speculative investment . 
I suspect that this fund is big enough to gain agreement for this at the “speculative” end especially as North America has now cottoned on the World Football. 

Potential growth / returns for getting into the Prem are significant. The real issue is how any profit would be taken and when. On the funds balance sheet there would already be increased asset value (Div3 team to top of the Championship) as ITFC’s income has increased significantly . 

I suspect much like VC investment - the pension fund would cash in and sell their stake if the Binners went up and stayed up for any length of time 

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

I did not 

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Good post from Mr. BlueHope, excellent in fact. I do feel however that you are being a tad disingenuous towards your club's re-emergence and have bent over backward slightly too far in evaluating our downturn.

We were outstandingly fabulous at times under Farke and, despite all, we were not THAT far away from becoming a bit more established at the top level. However, it is very difficult to assess where to pin the tail on our particular donkey of at team at the moment. One week the likes of myself see us as play-off contenders, a couple of weeks later and throw in a couple of significant injuries, and we have become quite awful whilst having sufficient assets not to be written off completely.

Either way, it's along hard season and fortunes will vary. 

Thanks. not being intentionally disingenuous, this is how I genuinely see the current state of play. Of course it would be great fun for me If Norwich were awful for a while and we were brilliant, heaven knows its been the other way round for a fair part of recent history! I really felt the Farke side was something special for a bit and could have established itself in the prem with the right level of investment. 

I just feel that certain sections of our support are getting too carried away with our good start , and certain sections of yours are getting too despondant about yours. I have watched football long enough now to know that things can turn very quickly.  I bet a few QPR fans thought they were the dogs B's this time last year.

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Pension funds (and this one especially) can be massive . A fund manager will divide the pot into various risk profiles. Ranging from cash holding and gilts  through stock markets and property all the way to highly speculative investment . 
I suspect that this fund is big enough to gain agreement for this at the “speculative” end especially as North America has now cottoned on the World Football. 

Potential growth / returns for getting into the Prem are significant. The real issue is how any profit would be taken and when. On the funds balance sheet there would already be increased asset value (Div3 team to top of the Championship) as ITFC’s income has increased significantly . 

I suspect much like VC investment - the pension fund would cash in and sell their stake if the Binners went up and stayed up for any length of time 

The Pension Fund however hasn't backed the club, they've backed the group of three American investors. I suspect the Ipswich investment is one of many other investments the three Americans have backed by the Pension Funds and is relatively immaterial to the rest of their portfolio (rather like Attanasio's investment in Norwich?).

Edited by shefcanary

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

He doesn't need to, he spends most of his time on "The Tractor Boys FB Forum" anyway 😉 

More lies. The thing is I don’t bury my head in the sand and pretend all is rosy at Carrow Road unlike you. The gap has gone, in fact we are now chasing them. Still early days mind but it’s not looking great. 

14 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

The Pension Fund however hasn't backed the club, they've backed the group of three American investors. I suspect the Ipswich investment is one of many other investments the three Americans have backed by the Pension Funds and is relatively immaterial to the rest of their portfolio (rather like Attanasio's investment in Norwich?).

I take the point Sheff , but the fund backing investors or the Club directly is much the same in that there must be outline objectives to satisfy the fund releasing the money. If the three investors just took the money and bought arms or drugs it would be outside of the pension fund rules - and bearing in mind from memory the pension supports state services such as fire services  it will be regulated. Even only by US standards! 
Equally the fund will require growth or income . So an exit must occur at some point . 
Entirely agree that given the size of these funds , the amounts in question will be relatively immaterial. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

More lies. The thing is I don’t bury my head in the sand and pretend all is rosy at Carrow Road unlike you. The gap has gone, in fact we are now chasing them. Still early days mind but it’s not looking great. 

If ever a post was necessary to confirm where your true allegiance lies, the above is that post. The idea that points after a few early games can determine anything is absurd, even for you. Setting aside the reaity of the binners being second best to us over the past 40 years, there is the reality of now.

The money from the US pension fund has been lent with a view of a return. The capital will remain as long as there is an accepted rate of return. Which will not come from being in the Championship. It won't come from any sale of players either. The binners have a Cat 2 academy. They are currently barely producing a couple of players up to LI standards. Any with promise are quickly snaffled by bigger clubs  - Gibbs.

If they are not promoted this season then how much more will be lent to fund the 24/25 season ?  The three amigos have stated that a fair amount of money is needed to bring their ground up to the standard required. Will that be in addition to the money lent for the squad ? Or part of the overall loan. Many will remember the biners waving money at us, as Evans had lead them to believe the only way was up. Another in the long line of failures who thought putting money into a football club was a way of making money. Perhaps our closet canary, or others, could point to any club outside the top eight, who make a profit. Which is where the trepayment money will have to come from.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, RobJames said:

If ever a post was necessary to confirm where your true allegiance lies, the above is that post. The idea that points after a few early games can determine anything is absurd, even for you. Setting aside the reaity of the binners being second best to us over the past 40 years, there is the reality of now.

The money from the US pension fund has been lent with a view of a return. The capital will remain as long as there is an accepted rate of return. Which will not come from being in the Championship. It won't come from any sale of players either. The binners have a Cat 2 academy. They are currently barely producing a couple of players up to LI standards. Any with promise are quickly snaffled by bigger clubs  - Gibbs.

If they are not promoted this season then how much more will be lent to fund the 24/25 season ?  The three amigos have stated that a fair amount of money is needed to bring their ground up to the standard required. Will that be in addition to the money lent for the squad ? Or part of the overall loan. Many will remember the biners waving money at us, as Evans had lead them to believe the only way was up. Another in the long line of failures who thought putting money into a football club was a way of making money. Perhaps our closet canary, or others, could point to any club outside the top eight, who make a profit. Which is where the trepayment money will have to come from.

Hahahaha.  The owners have just spent multi millions on the pitch.  Purchased land behind the ground. Purchasing additional land at training Ground. Building a multi million training complex. Recruited heavily of staff from u8s all the way upto first team management

They're not going anywhere anytime soon.

You've had your fun without actually achieving anything.  Now it's time for town to rightfully take back East Anglia and show you what a successful football club looks like.