dylanisabaddog

Old photos of Carrow Road area

10 hours ago, Herman said:

"......and The Nest eventually became a victim of their success. Promotion to the old Second Division in 1934 saw crowds rise exponentially. Then City hosted giants Sheffield Wednesday (kids, ask granny) in the fifth round of the FA Cup in February 1935. A record 25,007 crowd bundled in........"

25k at the Nest!!!😬

There's a load of treasures on this channel!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Ricardo on his bike after a game, picture from the George Plunkett collection of old Norwich photos............

image.thumb.png.8760f753f125c625fb19deb6702b422c.png

I've still got the same bike😉

• Haha 2

Nevermind bicycles...

You were well proud of that ticket @ricardo :classic_smile:

I don't really remember this shop open...

Edited by nutty nigel

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Nevermind bicycles...

queue.jpg.669279f5efb6b9b65ad59bc7016919e0.jpg

20-carrow-road-norwich_orig.thumb.jpg.0b5713a97e6e4c9eeffc4927067f7592.jpg

I do.

• Like 1

I remember the shop with the half a car in the wall on the way up to the ground on the black cat buses from North Walsham , would love to see a picture of that.

44 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Nevermind bicycles...

queue.jpg.669279f5efb6b9b65ad59bc7016919e0.jpg

20-carrow-road-norwich_orig.thumb.jpg.0b5713a97e6e4c9eeffc4927067f7592.jpg

Those signs (Coke, Woodbines, Walls) would all sell for a good few quid these days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anybody got a picture of the old Supporters Club bar/pub, they used to raise quite a sum for the club, Sam Springall  comes in my head but I may be wrong. Actually bought Gerry Howshall but that was a waste of money.

11 hours ago, Dame to Blame said:

I remember the shop with the half a car in the wall on the way up to the ground on the black cat buses from North Walsham , would love to see a picture of that.

Can you remember the name of the road the shop was on or roughly where the shop was?.......

8 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Can you remember the name of the road the shop was on or roughly where the shop was?.......

The half car was a MINI & the shop in the picture to the right of the Ford Anglia

Edited by SteveN8458

11 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Anybody got a picture of the old Supporters Club bar/pub, they used to raise quite a sum for the club, Sam Springall  comes in my head but I may be wrong. Actually bought Gerry Howshall but that was a waste of money.

It was Stan Springall who was the father of our very own @Crafty Canary and @Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?.

Shutterstock_5767815a.thumb.jpg.f365fb400f65e84a074cfa40ca4337c2.jpg

Edited by TIL 1010

I worked in the Kingsway in 93 / 94.

There were 2 bars indoors. Home and away. 'Twas extra loud when the singing started before a game.

Worst away fans were.........Villa and Man City.

20 hours ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

seems like half of the 'lost' pubs of Norwich were on King Street

https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/norfolk/norwich.html

Very true, the link below is also a good resource re closed pubs

https://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/index.html

You may also want to have a look at the George Plunkett archive of Norwich photos. If you look at King St there are a number of pubs he photographed on the street over the years..........

On 10/09/2023 at 18:28, nutty nigel said:

Brilliant thread!

So many memories.

The bridge used to open a lot and Nortwich was quite a busy port. My nan used to have her hair done on Thorpe Road and while she was there my grandad would take me to have a look at what was gorn on up riverside. The big ships would be there with cranes unloading often timber but coal too. The ships would then turn where the wide corner bit of the river is. (I guess it has a name!) and the bridge would go up to let them back. I always hoped the bridge would be up...

I've got lots of pictures but can never find them (not mine but pics I've saved for reminiscnce.) There is this one..

688628773_portofNorwich.png.1ecdd0e9cb6d09c603423ef2bf71ee9a.png

And this link has some great 'then and now' pictures...

https://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/thenandnow4.html

St Anne's Wharf.
Although it seems to have another name too, according to a YouTube video on Norwich's history.

On 10/09/2023 at 17:00, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I was born round the corner from Carrow Bridge in King St (our house was opposite Reads Flour Mill). Not sure when the bridge last opened, when I was a kid growing up in that area the bridge opened all the time as Norwich was a busy inland port back then. I think Norfolk County Council wanted to weld the bridge shut to cut down on maintenance costs, last I heard that plan was shelved as there is a bylaw that says the bridge has to be able to open to river traffic..........

June 2018, although it was a massive faff to get the thing going again.
Apparently, IIRC, it almost wiped out the money gained in selling the ship that they moved through it as the delay incurred costs further down (at the Breydon Bridge, I think).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, K Lo said:

June 2018, although it was a massive faff to get the thing going again.
Apparently, IIRC, it almost wiped out the money gained in selling the ship that they moved through it as the delay incurred costs further down (at the Breydon Bridge, I think).

Many thanks for sharing this, the bridge opened more recently than I thought. The story re TS Lord Nelson passed me by, but a quick search reveals she ended up as a cafe in Melton boatyard near Woodbridge, seems a bot of a sad end............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Another great thread for us coffin dodgers.

I really don't think I qualify as a coffin dodger until I get my bus pass (can't wait). Although it is a delightful club of which I aspire to be a member. 

One of the great delights of this site is that when something extraordinary happens there is always someone on hand to bring us down to earth by pointing out that it happened before in the 1960's.

i have seen photos 1880's  taken from top of carrow works ( colmans ) Carrow road and all land right up to station was marsh land ,

wish i took a copy of those ,

i did have a lot of photos of them building the Nest Ground ,

at the time i had these photos the club was making a museum and i tried to contact David Mcnally ,

When i was at the club that day i handed copies to my friend scottish Marty who was on a coach then off to a away game that evening and he showed them around to all the people on coach ,

So some of you might have been lucky enough to see them ,

Sadly they were sold to a collector Abroad 

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Another great thread for us coffin dodgers.

I think it's really interesting that this thread (and the '55 years' one) has developed alongside all the speculation about the Attanasio takeover. Both threads make it clear that for all the talk of the takeover, our (lack of) ambition and our prospects of  competing at PL level, what is most important about supporting a football club is that sense of community and a shared history. Whether we're conscious of it or not, I think we're all hoping that those things persist in the brave new era.

One of the things I love about this forum is that there are so many people who have a memory of the club that goes back beyond my own (and I'm not far from the 40-year mark myself now). Love that sense of an institutional memory.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I think it's really interesting that this thread (and the '55 years' one) has developed alongside all the speculation about the Attanasio takeover. Both threads make it clear that for all the talk of the takeover, our (lack of) ambition and our prospects of  competing at PL level, what is most important about supporting a football club is that sense of community and a shared history. Whether we're conscious of it or not, I think we're all hoping that those things persist in the brave new era.

One of the things I love about this forum is that there are so many people who have a memory of the club that goes back beyond my own (and I'm not far from the 40-year mark myself now). Love that sense of an institutional memory.

Beautifully put. Another important thing is that whatever changes we go through in life, Norwich City is one of the few constant things from the day of our first game to the day when we finally stop dodging the coffin. It will probably be the longest constant thing in most of our lives. I'm often baffled that some people don't have something like that. 

• Like 6

Here's another one apparently taken before a match in May 1973. If so it was maybe a local cup final? Any of you old codgers on here? I can just see the tip of @TIL 1010's helmet hat...

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Haha 2

On 10/09/2023 at 14:39, A Load of Squit said:

I was in the River End for this one.

May be an image of 6 people, people playing football, people playing soccer, crowd and text

But not this one.

May be an image of text

I know I should have copyrighted that photo of Coppell taking the corner at the River End but I'm glad it's out there for all to see.  Probably one of the best footie photos that I have taken, albeit with a cheap film camera at the end of the 70's!  Glad I captured the old River End as I first remember it (apart from the old payment gate between it and the pre-seated South Stand).

29 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Here's another one apparently taken before a match in May 1973. If so it was maybe a local cup final? Any of you old codgers on here? I can just see the tip of @TIL 1010's helmet hat...

455275796_carrowroadmainentranceMay1973.png.9eb5614bcde487dc709fbe3d80da6202.png

Can't help too much with identifying anybody @nutty nigel other than it is @Kathy bottom right.