wins 'Championship Player of the Month' award. I note Samuel Seaman puts him in the same box as Buendia ... different players with similar influence in the league:

"The same organisation that formalised Buendia's status as the best Championship player of 2020-21 has now done the same with Gabriel Sara's August 2023."

What  a player, what a find who just gets better and better before our very eyes.  The transition from Brazilian football/lifestyle seems to have been seamless. Come back Stuart Webber all is forgiven.

I once forecast that Omo would eventually be our most valued sale in terms of millions of pounds into the City coffers and was wrong about that, but I don't think I'm wrong in saying the same about this gem. For sure, we won't be able to hang on to him for long, especially as a Championship club, but nevertheless he represents an enormous asset to the club. My "Stars in their Eyes" moment already foresees sums of £40-£50m for the player and may be even more if we can hold onto him for a couple of seasons, and he continues to progress at the same rate. This last scenario is, I believe, best for both the club and the player. Clogging it out in the Chumps for that extra season being a useful grounding for the player and the expected increase in value being clearly better for the club's finances.

We could, of course, see whether this route would have been better for club and player with respect to Omo ... it's in the balance.

In the back of my mind I also expect Nunez to become a first team stalwart despite his stop-go progress at City so far. He's clearly the right character and has the skills and work rate to match.

Young Ryes seems to be something else as well and another from the same source (via Spain?)

The South American connection is already proving it'self to be a move of innovative genius, and it is growing sufficiently enough so that we can eagerly anticipate more to come.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

noooooo, it wasn't down to Webber....it was one of the other scouts who made it happen......honest!

Oh yes, I’m sure he was only 90% interested whilst up a mountain

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Not all that again good Dr. It's becoming a bit like TWTD in as much as when talking of Norwich City they bring up the six fingers nonsense and other daft stuff ('participants') for the millionth time and still think they are being original and funny. 

This is a 'reasons to be cheerful' post and highlights the fact that in one single current City player the club may well have an asset that possibly (I’ve lost track) rivals the total of Annatasio's investment in the club thus far.    

As for Stuart Webber? He might have just earned a reprieve following this Summer's activity, but he will still be on his bike whatever. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Not all that again good Dr. It's becoming a bit like TWTD in as much as when talking of Norwich City they bring up the six fingers nonsense and other daft stuff ('participants') for the millionth time and still think they are being original and funny. 

This is a 'reasons to be cheerful' post and highlights the fact that in one single current City player the club may well have an asset that possibly (I’ve lost track) rivals the total of Annatasio's investment in the club thus far.    

As for Stuart Webber? He might have just earned a reprieve following this Summer's activity, but he will still be on his bike whatever. 

I was joking, I like Webber and annoyed he’s leaving 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Was Webber’s objective last year to buy players that could get us promoted the following season? Or was his objective to bounce back at the first time of asking with the massive financial advantage a relegated club should have?

A positive start (that’s all it is) does not mitigate a dereliction of duty last season. 

10 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Was Webber’s objective last year to buy players that could get us promoted the following season? Or was his objective to bounce back at the first time of asking with the massive financial advantage a relegated club should have?

A positive start (that’s all it is) does not mitigate a dereliction of duty last season. 

I don’t know, I haven’t wrote out his mission objective

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Clogging it out in the Chumps for that extra season being a useful grounding for the player and the expected increase in value being clearly better for the club's finances.

This raises the prospect of the best-case scenario being that we sell him the summer after promotion...

But I'm not going to worry about that for now. I just love watching him play.

57 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The worrying thing is he has potential to be a £50m player. I fear he won't be playing Championship football too long.

Let's hope the translator has a degree in psychology and has convinced him that anyone outside of the county are evil and not to be trusted, no matter how much money they offer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Webber is the same as anyone at the top of the club. Anything that goes well is down to them - and anything that goes wrong is down to them too. It's a mixed bag, some good, some bad - him/Delia/MJW/Farke when he was manager/Dean Smith/Wagner.......all prone to good and bad work. When it's bad for too long.....like with Dean Smith....then their time is up, but it's all about balance - and Webber has shown he can get good players in still. Ups and downs of football I guess. 

I wonder how many of the Webber detractors will acknowledge he has brought in some good players, or will they think "oh, it couldn't possibly be down to Webber".........

• Like 1

A player who has only played Brazilian league and Champs won't go for £40m. £30+ maybe. Thing is, selling him won't just be about the money, it will be as much about proving to every prospective signing in that part of the world that we provide an excellent stepping stone to a top European club. 

• Like 2

Hopefully Webber has been playing football manager religiously and identified a fitting replacement with great attributes for 20k.

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Congratulations to Sara.....but he wasnt even our best player in August....

It was clearly Kenny.

Edit: just seen @Robert N. LiM got there before me. I obviously am not spending enough time on here to get in first.

Edited by Nuff Said

Enjoy him while you can, continue to excel and he may be gone in January, certainly Summer 24.  We don't sell for £40m thirty something tops.

Webber's detractors always point to the 2021 window which is fair. However Sara is 2022. And we've had 2023. His record since 2017 isn't too shabby is it?

Much of the angst towards Webber is personal dislike. I guess he's not likeable but does that matter?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Webber's detractors always point to the 2021 window which is fair. However Sara is 2022. And we've had 2023. His record since 2017 isn't too shabby is it?

Much of the angst towards Webber is personal dislike. I guess he's not likeable but does that matter?

Was McNally? And he didn’t do too badly either.. I’d rather have someone in charge who is a bit of an a55 than not. Their job isn’t to make balloon animals and cheer up miserable punters. It’s to make a team work. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Edit: just seen @Robert N. LiM got there before me. I obviously am not spending enough time on here to get in first.

Sounds like a backhanded insult to me 😉

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Was McNally? And he didn’t do too badly either.. I’d rather have someone in charge who is a bit of an a55 than not. Their job isn’t to make balloon animals and cheer up miserable punters. It’s to make a team work. 

It would be great if they could do that as well though!

Hmm, maybe that’s why we have struggled to find Webber’s replacement? 🤔

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Hmm, maybe that’s why we have struggled to find Webber’s replacement? 🤔

As a slight aside it seems a while since Zoe said they had a shortlist. I wonder if that appointment might be intertwined with the shareholder vote somehow and MA getting to 40%.

1 hour ago, Danke bitte said:

Norfolk people love a straight talker.....until they start saying things they don't like. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

As a slight aside it seems a while since Zoe said they had a shortlist. I wonder if that appointment might be intertwined with the shareholder vote somehow and MA getting to 40%.

It could be that whoever they have chosen has a long notice period.