Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

That away kit.

Hey, I like it but I have always liked purple.

But as we all know purple is rather a shade of blue and well, let's be real have we ever played well in any of our kits that Have been shades of blue?

Its a cursed colour for us I tell you, cursed!

• Like 1

Still like it - bought it. 

Have to say it's quite funny seeing how superstitious people are "it's the kit" I guess these people still avoid cracks on the pavement. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On Radio Norfolk the strip was described as akin to a red cabbage cut in half, which got me thinking in a five pints and counting sort of way. Lorca FC a recently defunct lower league Spanish club which used to be known as The Clockwork Broccoli, after the predominant local crop, at one time had shirts printed all over with images of that healthy vegetable (of the cabbage family, it is a particularly rich source of vitamins C and K). There could have been a potential back door way back into Europe involving the third strip, a sort of pre-season Cabbage Derby Friendly Cup. Could even do it properly and go there by coach. Not aware that Lorca have done a Bury and risen from the compost, but could be worth keeping an eye on.😄

6 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

That red cabbage comment on radio Norfolk is the reason I spoilt my diet and went for a kebab last night

Hey, at least there's some salad in a kebab... So, healthy eating 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Haus said:

Looks like the old Norwich and Peterborough carpets

...minus the trodden in chewing gum, fag butts, and not soaked with the tears of the dispossessed. Yet.

• Like 1

I know we are probably contractually obliged to wear it X times a season and for what it is worth i like the kit but can we just get back to wearing it when the need actually arises ie Hull and Watford away.

• Like 1

In a sea of green and yellow that strip looks like a 'where's Wally' outfit. It's hideous.

Players probably got a bit of sledging from the Rotherham lads having to wear that.

Imo those at the club should stick to what they say - our away kit is the green one and should be used first if we decide not to play in yellow and green. It’s not that hard.

There is a perfectly reasonable “away” kit, so we roll out a third kit. Absolutely pointless, and an insult to the yellow and green army. 

Ditch the 3rd kit - 100 % losing record to date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

There is a perfectly reasonable “away” kit, so we roll out a third kit. Absolutely pointless, and an insult to the yellow and green army. 

Ditch the 3rd kit - 100 % losing record to date.

Money my dear boy, money. Or at least that's the reasons kits change every season and the concept of a "third kit" exists. Sadly not the 1960's anymore and the days of one kit lasting for a decade are long gone

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

An example of people being bored is to pick on something (a purple kit) and pretend it looks different (dark blue) and caveat the whole thing by saying I hope it looks what it is (purple) in real life. 

I’ll for …

Those beef burgers they sell outside the ground don’t look like they taste of beef burger.  I sincerely hope they do! 

It’s like a issue of Viz isn’t it? 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

In a sea of green and yellow that strip looks like a 'where's Wally' outfit. It's hideous.

Players probably got a bit of sledging from the Rotherham lads having to wear that.

IMO all 3 kits this season are pretty terrible, esp compared with the classy numbers of last season. The home shirt we had last year was one of the best of all time, deserved to be worn for 2 seasons!

The club were right to play in another strip. Can you imagine the difficulty players would have had, were we to have played in our yellow and green.

It is for that, and that alone, the change strip is entirely different to that of last season. It is not a cynical ploy to exploit the stupidity of certain of our fans. Those who would sport a dog turn on their head (Lord Percy and his ruff) if it were considered 'fashionable', and so will happily cough up for whatever the club comes up with. Maybe a winter away strip, with mitts sown to the sleeves and fake fur around the collar.

It is not simply down to superstition, either. Some years back ('96), Man ure wore a grey strip away to S'ton. They were 3-0 down by half time. They came out for the second half wearing another strip.. The way our players are drilled to make an instant pass could have been affected by the change of colour.  As there seems nothing else to explain the awful passing in the first half.

Are the club obliged to have three different strips each season ? I would be interested to know how much they actually make from the sales. And could it be thought that those buying these idiocies do so at the expense of a proper City shirt. If so, where is the benefit ?. And this idiocy not something I've seen in abundance at Carrow Road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

It is not simply down to superstition, either. Some years back ('96), Man ure wore a grey strip away to S'ton. They were 3-0 down by half time. They came out for the second half wearing another strip.. The way our players are drilled to make an instant pass could have been affected by the change of colour.  As there seems nothing else to explain the awful passing in the first half.

Agreed. It's quite clear that if you play with a bright coloured kit it is easier to pick out players. It's one of those where some people say "don't be ridiculous, colour makes no difference" but really it is common sense - play with a dull coloured shirt and you will lose your edge. Bright colours work. 

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Agreed. It's quite clear that if you play with a bright coloured kit it is easier to pick out players. It's one of those where some people say "don't be ridiculous, colour makes no difference" but really it is common sense - play with a dull coloured shirt and you will lose your edge. Bright colours work. 

I played football in my fluorescent cycling tee shirt once. I was still 5hit. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Bollox, I used to play for a team who's home kit was orange and black and our away kit was all black (well not mine, mine was green in goal) BUT never changed a thing!! 

There's plenty of teams out there who play in dull colours and they do just fine, it was an off day and has nothing to do with the bloody kit, stop being so superstitious, you do know that talking to magpies if you see them does nothing too right? Right!!?? 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

At Rotherham on Saturday I was too focused on trying to ignore the on a loop continuous thumpety thump, thump of the NCFC elitist dwum.....coupled with an over exuberant couple of laddish potty mouth heads of richard....to initially notice that our 3rd kit is quite pump.... 

I also thought pre-match that the local chap laid prostrate on the grass sleeping off an abundance of alcohol near to the Bluecoat spoons pub....actually showed more get up an' go zip an' energy than our squad did in the 1st half.....

Anyway....the one-eyed one-horned flying purple people eater third kit.....is just so damned awful in my opinion....

2 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Bollox, I used to play for a team who's home kit was orange and black and our away kit was all black (well not mine, mine was green in goal) BUT never changed a thing!! 

There's plenty of teams out there who play in dull colours and they do just fine, it was an off day and has nothing to do with the bloody kit, stop being so superstitious, you do know that talking to magpies if you see them does nothing too right? Right!!?? 

Calm down, I never said our result was down to the kit. I merely agreed with someone who talked about dull kits - and it's not b*ll*x either, but a legitimate point of view. 

17 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Agreed, You know players by their positions and the calls around you - I'd never be thinking about what shirt was being worn.  As long as I knew the people and faces I think playing a match in plain clothes wouldn't cause me to lose possession - heck we'd have 5 to 10-asides as kids on the park.

But I played right wing so was generally well connected with everyone and could keep a mental note of where they are, also, I wasn't having to find players from deep.  And another point is that not everyone has great eyesight, Declan Rice of course being an example of that as he lost his contacts in a few games.

Another point is that maybe it is different in a stadium environment where you've got a whole lot else going on around the periphery with ad boards, crowd and stewards to contend with.

But even with all of these factors, we lost possession through poor play rather than mis-identification of players I think.

I did notice Barnes trying to stretch his neck further at the start of the game and he didn't look quite comfortable with the fit, though.

Edited by Google Bot

On 03/09/2023 at 14:31, lake district canary said:

Like yellow for example. Why give up a natural advantage? 

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

Like yellow for example. Why give up a natural advantage? 

Indeed. The margins on professional sport are so fine that the slightest thing can make a difference. Catching a colleague making a run in the corner of your eye is going to be easier with a bright coloured shirt than a duller one, especially with all the stuff in the background in a stadium with advertising hordings and people in the crowd. The millisecond advantage it might give you could make the difference between an onside and offside decision - especially in these days of VAR, where a millimetre can make all the difference.

Makes you wonder why anyone would want to have a shirt that isn't as bright as possible.  

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Indeed. The margins on professional sport are so fine that the slightest thing can make a difference. Catching a colleague making a run in the corner of your eye is going to be easier with a bright coloured shirt than a duller one, especially with all the stuff in the background in a stadium with advertising hordings and people in the crowd. The millisecond advantage it might give you could make the difference between an onside and offside decision - especially in these days of VAR, where a millimetre can make all the difference.

Makes you wonder why anyone would want to have a shirt that isn't as bright as possible.  

What about the replica shirts in the crowd? you know the exact same colour, surely thats a distraction to the players?