Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

3 away matches in just over a week

Not that I would of course try and come up with excuses for our awful first half performance or anything but while everyone is focusing on Sargent and how much it has become clear his loss has changed how we play just how much do we think that our teams super hectic schedule over the past week has played a part? At least we can agree I think that the international break has come just at the right time..

• Like 1

The international break will make no difference as we go with what we have yesterday in 2 weeks time plus the totally unknown South Korean. Lack of quality depth on the bench to change a game when the team is not clicking was woefully exposed yesterday.

• Like 1

A very good point away to Huddersfield, away to Bristol City then to Rotherham.

Does anyone know how the team travel? Do they always stay over the night before?

I would imagine there was little or no preparation time for Rotherham or Bristol City.

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The international break will make no difference as we go with what we have yesterday in 2 weeks time plus the totally unknown South Korean. Lack of quality depth on the bench to change a game when the team is not clicking was woefully exposed yesterday.

Cannot agree with that. It's a poor argument.

Rotherham would likely take a number of the players we have on the bench, some of whom would go into their starting line up.

We have more depth in our squad than last season.

• Like 1

Might be something in it had we not improved significantly second half and still looked full of running.

unfortunately I think it was a combination of struggling to adjust to Idah instead of Sarg, complacency and our midfielders both having a complete no show. Both Kenny and Sara have occasional games where they disappear or are just not on it. Unfortunately in the first half yesterday they both did it at the same time. Dimi was also well below par. 

• Like 1

3 games a week isn't unusual but travelling will be tiring; however we are talking about professionals and only Sara, Duffy & Idah started in Tuesday

Bigger issue seemed to be in the mind, not switched on first half, possibly tiredness but more likely a small degree of complacency / expectancy that Rotherham would not be a hard game. 

Lack of prep time shouldn't apply, our approach is work hard, we slackened (which the experienced heads were bought into prevent) and Rotherham deserved their win.   I am sure we will have learned our lesson come stoke 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I think we do have depth on the bench to change a game, especially when we get a couple back. Hernandez is lauded on here as an impact player off the bench and does give you a quick direct winger, Sainz we don’t really know yet but looks like a player with good close control and intricate passing, Idah (assuming off bench) gives another striker and Nunez is abit of a wild card. We also have now the ability to switch to 3 at the back/wingbacks or we could stick a holding midfielder on (Gibbs/forshaw) to get Sara further forward. We do have options but yesterday we just played cr@p against a committed and physical opposition. It happens. 

A bit early in the season to be blaming fatigue, plus few of the squad have played 90 mins of all 3 games. We also fly to away games so minimal disruption to the player's routines.

First half was a bad day at the office. I would blame in lack of focus. I can imagine several of the squad exchanging messages deep into the evening on Friday about the incomings and outgoings, it must have been unsettling.

People on here won't have it that the squad is not strong and the transfer window wasn't good so it must be down to individual error and form, or the Head Coach.

Hopefully we will bounce back against Stoke.

With respect to the OP, how can you say I am not using it as an excuse but . . . is actually making an excuse.

Travelling is boring but I guess in comfort for them. But there is absolutely no excuse other than we were rubbish in the 1st half and the damage done.

7 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

A bit early in the season to be blaming fatigue, plus few of the squad have played 90 mins of all 3 games. We also fly to away games so minimal disruption to the player's routines.

First half was a bad day at the office. I would blame in lack of focus. I can imagine several of the squad exchanging messages deep into the evening on Friday about the incomings and outgoings, it must have been unsettling.

People on here won't have it that the squad is not strong and the transfer window wasn't good so it must be down to individual error and form, or the Head Coach.

Hopefully we will bounce back against Stoke.

The squad not good enough whinge might have more going for it had we been not bee unbeaten up to this game. I cannot for the life of me understand "the transfer window wasn't good". How did that affect the game.  I would hold that the hideous shirts we were wearing had an adverse effect. Watching on the telly box thing, it was often hard to track City players. Only for a brief second, if that, but it would explain so many misplaced passes.

WW1 ships used what they termed dazzle paint. The idea being to confuse enemy subs. At first I thought that wouldn't fool anyone for a second. It was to confuse.  That brief second when looking through the periscope was the time for deception. . We play at such a frenetic pace now that any distraction can cause problems. Strange idea, but yesterdays first half was strange.  We lined up pretty much with the same 11, but could not seem to find a rhythm at all.

"The camouflage was designed to confuse, rather than conceal. Torpedoes were fired in anticipation of where a ship was heading and dazzle aimed to break up the constructional lines, making it difficult to identify a ship and estimate its speed, range and course."

hms_kildangan_iwm_q_043387.webp

9 hours ago, Big O said:

I think we do have depth on the bench to change a game, especially when we get a couple back. Hernandez is lauded on here as an impact player off the bench and does give you a quick direct winger, Sainz we don’t really know yet but looks like a player with good close control and intricate passing, Idah (assuming off bench) gives another striker and Nunez is abit of a wild card. We also have now the ability to switch to 3 at the back/wingbacks or we could stick a holding midfielder on (Gibbs/forshaw) to get Sara further forward. We do have options but yesterday we just played cr@p against a committed and physical opposition. It happens. 

Clearly not when we had TWO keepers on the bench. Quite what Nacho has got to do to get meaningful minutes is beyond me. We were crying out for creativity yesterday yet he remained firmly benched whilst midfielders , wide players and even full backs were chucked on. Very bizarre especially seeing Gibbs trying to play as a striker!    

• Like 2

On 03/09/2023 at 10:32, TIL 1010 said:

He's not inexactly an unknown South Korean. He has good pedigree and probably a better option than any others we have currently. The main thing is the international break with get Forshaw / Hwang / Sainz fit and playing our way in a limited time.

Edited by jaberry2

Just mentioned on another thread that not only was it three away games in a week, it's five of our first seven games away from home. Not an excuse, more a piece of evidence to suggest that we shouldn't be too concerned at this stage: one bad half of football out of 14 is a lot better than last season.

Still gutted about Josh, though. Hopefully Hwang will be the replacement we need.

4 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

The main thing is the international break with get Forshaw / Hwang / Sainz fit and playing our way in a limited time.

Korea have some fixtures during the international break - do we know if Hwang is playing in them?

5 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Just mentioned on another thread that not only was it three away games in a week, it's five of our first seven games away from home. Not an excuse, more a piece of evidence to suggest that we shouldn't be too concerned at this stage: one bad half of football out of 14 is a lot better than last season.

Still gutted about Josh, though. Hopefully Hwang will be the replacement we need.

Korea have some fixtures during the international break - do we know if Hwang is playing in them?

Im not sure tbh. I think he generally plays right mid for the National team due to better options like Son upfront. I could be wrong, as there are a number of Hwangs in the team..

Edited by jaberry2

4 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Im not sure tbh. I think he generally plays right mid for the National team due to better options like Son upfront. I could be wrong, as there are a number of Hwangs in the team..

this piece suggests he is in the squad: https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/hwang-looking-forward-to-norwich-role

"After the international break, I'll join the team. I'm looking forward to seeing my team-mates, the coach and all the staff. I'm very excited to see everything."

Edited by Robert N. LiM

6 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Just mentioned on another thread that not only was it three away games in a week, it's five of our first seven games away from home.

To put it even more starkly, five of our last six games in all competitions have been away from home. Whether that had any bearing on Saturday’s result is anyone’s guess but it was undeniably a strange run of fixtures (not helped by our ‘luck’ in the cup draws, of course).

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Looks like he generally plays up front, according to Transfermarkt:

Screenshot_20230904-193018~2.png

Yep he's more of a striker. I think they've got a few similar named players, hence the confusion. A real harassing style striker similar to Sarge. I think he'll be a good fit