Yobocop

Yobocop’s Big Post of the Week: Accidental Norwich City

Hey Norwich City fans!

Yobocop here, and I've got a fun challenge for all of you this week. It's time for "Accidental Norwich City!" I'll kick things off with a recent find of mine, but I want to see what you've come across in your own adventures.

Picture this: I was on a rare bike ride (yes, for those of you who know Yobocop personally you read that correctly) when I stumbled upon two houses side by side. One had a striking yellow door, and the other was adorned with a vibrant shade of green. It was like a mini Carrow Road right in my neighbourhood! 🚴‍♂️

Now, I know we're a tight-knit Norwich City community, but I'm curious – have any of you come across similar "accidental Norwich City" instances? It doesn't have to be limited to front doors or inanimate objects; think creatively! Maybe you've seen people sporting colors that remind you of our beloved Canaries, or even rival team kits that triggered some Norwich nostalgia.

I've attached a street view image of my discovery to get the ball rolling. Feel free to post your examples, stories, or even photos if you've got 'em. Let's have some fun with this challenge and celebrate our Canaries' influence, even when we least expect it.

Looking forward to seeing your accidental Norwich City gems from around the world! 🌍💛💚

Cheers,
Yobocop

029EF837-5105-4E16-AF4F-D1DD97C7E2C2.jpeg

Just now, Yobocop said:

Hey Norwich City fans!

Yobocop here, and I've got a fun challenge for all of you this week. It's time for "Accidental Norwich City!" I'll kick things off with a recent find of mine, but I want to see what you've come across in your own adventures.

Picture this: I was on a rare bike ride (yes, for those of you who know Yobocop personally you read that correctly) when I stumbled upon two houses side by side. One had a striking yellow door, and the other was adorned with a vibrant shade of green. It was like a mini Carrow Road right in my neighbourhood! 🚴‍♂️

Now, I know we're a tight-knit Norwich City community, but I'm curious – have any of you come across similar "accidental Norwich City" instances? It doesn't have to be limited to front doors or inanimate objects; think creatively! Maybe you've seen people sporting colors that remind you of our beloved Canaries, or even rival team kits that triggered some Norwich nostalgia.

I've attached a street view image of my discovery to get the ball rolling. Feel free to post your examples, stories, or even photos if you've got 'em. Let's have some fun with this challenge and celebrate our Canaries' influence, even when we least expect it.

Looking forward to seeing your accidental Norwich City gems from around the world! 🌍💛💚

Cheers,
Yobocop

029EF837-5105-4E16-AF4F-D1DD97C7E2C2.jpeg

That so should have been yellow, green, yellow, green.

Doesn’t really class as accidental Norwich city but when I’ve worn my Norwich shirt in Spain I’ll often get locals trying to speak to me in (I assume) Portuguese because they think I’m Brazilian.

the shock on their faces when I turn around and say

”NaH m8 i’M FrUm NodGe M8”

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

Doesn’t really class as accidental Norwich city but when I’ve worn my Norwich shirt in Spain I’ll often get locals trying to speak to me in (I assume) Portuguese because they think I’m Brazilian.

the shock on their faces when I turn around and say

”NaH m8 i’M FrUm NodGe M8”

This is a good example 

1 minute ago, Yobocop said:

This is a good example 

I’m just trying to think of other occasions because I know there is some.

The queen uses to wear a lot of yellow and green, especially at big occasions, I think she wore an all yellow thing for William and Kate’s marriage and I was chanting “yellows!”

because of the vibrancy of the yellow the minute you see it you do immediately notice.

Another random one is I travel about quite a bit and when I see a field of oil seed (r word im not allowed to say but in this case is benign) especially when at elevation where you can see green fields alongside im Instantly reminded of beautiful Nodge

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Leeds result at the weekend

Not quite the premise but funny all the same 

I was driving in the county last week and sas this registration. 

Unfortunately as driving I couldn't get a pic, but here's a screen grab from .GOV to prove its genuine. 

An accidental @The Real Buh

image.png.2e2339f248bc55baf16cee9aa4b89b4c.png

• Like 1

Hitchin Town’s Matchday programme for todays Match v Royston Town 

accidental club nickname and club badge! 

I should know as former manager of the ladies reserve side lol 

A036C28C-9B1A-41A9-8C6B-6D943891BF27.jpeg

I was in a bar in Spain many years ago. The barman was watching a game on TV and I saw a winger dance round 2 defenders before running the ball out for a goal kick. 

The barman shook his head, sighed and just said Louie..... 

If you were watching City in the mid 80's you'll guess who it was 

• Like 3

My daughter was born when the song ‘shotgun’ by George Ezra was number one, so I have a nice little affinity with it. Whenever he sings ‘time flies by in the yellow and green’ I immediately think of us. Obviously wasn’t his intention, but there’s only one yellow and green that matters 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

My daughter was born when the song ‘shotgun’ by George Ezra was number one, so I have a nice little affinity with it. Whenever he sings ‘time flies by in the yellow and green’ I immediately think of us. Obviously wasn’t his intention, but there’s only one yellow and green that matters 

About the time we were first promoted under Farke to the prem, think there was a pub in norwich which had that quote graffitied onto their wall 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Just drink red wine then eat sweet potatoes, you’ll **** stools NCFC colours all day. 

As graphic and disturbing as ever midlands…but they all count haha 

A good friend of mine is a Luton Town supporter (born there) we used to go to Kenilworth Rd for Luton v Norwich games, I had a habit of celebrating Norwich goals even if sitting amongst the Luton fans. On one occasion, on the way to the ground, my friend, resplendent in his Luton shirt, gave me a pep talk about not cheering if (when) Norwich score, we get into the ground and the area my friend thought would be full of Luton fans was in fact full of Norwich fans (we had such a large away following that day Luton had given over that part of the ground to us) I am guessing because my friend had an NR post code Luton thought he was a Norwich fan, as we sat down I said to him "who has got to keep their gob shut?"..............

• Haha 1

A few years ago now I was on holiday abroad with 3 other friends, 2 were Coventry fans and the other was Leeds.

we had a day of wearing our club shirts and were on the lash…. A local kept on staring at us for a good period of time and we couldn’t figure out why….

Eventually he came over and with a straight face genuinely asked if we were the ‘Darren Huckerby Appreciation Society’…

Myself and my Coventry mates burst out laughing whilst my Leeds mate was disgusted beyond belief.

Turns out the local was a Newcastle fan… He went home and returned wearing his club shirt and wanted a picture with us all… it took a few pints and 20 mins or so of me convincing my Leeds mate to join in but that picture now sits framed on my wall (with him looking miserable) entitled ‘DHAS’

Good times and always cheers me up looking at it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I posted a photo in the old pinkun paper in 2001, of myself and two daughters at the border of Gibraltar and Spain, on the Spain side, and the border wall was painted yellow and green fronting the Rock behind it.

Wasn't there an EDP competition a while ago for people to submit photos of themselves with Norwich kit/flags in unusual places, and some show-off sent one in of him at the top of Everest waving a Norwich flag and the competition was over before it began?

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Wasn't there an EDP competition a while ago for people to submit photos of themselves with Norwich kit/flags in unusual places, and some show-off sent one in of him at the top of Everest waving a Norwich flag and competition was over before it began?

I'm always wary of having anything yellow and green outside my house. Knowing my luck Cantwell will turn up with a gift......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Wasn't there an EDP competition a while ago for people to submit photos of themselves with Norwich kit/flags in unusual places, and some show-off sent one in of him at the top of Everest waving a Norwich flag and competition was over before it began?

Get your Pinkun out!

I did it in all sorts of peculiar places.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Haha, haven't we all

I just googled it (You'd be amazed at the results!) but couldn't find it. Now that Peter Raven is gone, I guess that there is no one left at Archant/Newsquest who would remember it. Any other posters recall this feature?

12 hours ago, Oval Canary said:

A few years ago now I was on holiday abroad with 3 other friends, 2 were Coventry fans and the other was Leeds.

we had a day of wearing our club shirts and were on the lash…. A local kept on staring at us for a good period of time and we couldn’t figure out why….

Eventually he came over and with a straight face genuinely asked if we were the ‘Darren Huckerby Appreciation Society’…

Myself and my Coventry mates burst out laughing whilst my Leeds mate was disgusted beyond belief.

Turns out the local was a Newcastle fan… He went home and returned wearing his club shirt and wanted a picture with us all… it took a few pints and 20 mins or so of me convincing my Leeds mate to join in but that picture now sits framed on my wall (with him looking miserable) entitled ‘DHAS’

Good times and always cheers me up looking at it.

Brilliant! 

10 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Wasn't there an EDP competition a while ago for people to submit photos of themselves with Norwich kit/flags in unusual places, and some show-off sent one in of him at the top of Everest waving a Norwich flag and the competition was over before it began?

Well done Stuart!

Many years ago I was dating a woman who had friends that owned a narrow boat and invited us for a trip on it. It was the week after we had beaten man city at Maine road for the first time , the week after the death of princess Diana. I had taken sue despite her being a QPR fan. We went along for a nice trip along a river in Northamptonshire and ended up at billing aquadrome. The gift shop sold football team rock . The only two teams they had left were Norwich and QPR.  We split up a few weeks later 😊😊

22 hours ago, Kathy said:

I just googled it (You'd be amazed at the results!) but couldn't find it. Now that Peter Raven is gone, I guess that there is no one left at Archant/Newsquest who would remember it. Any other posters recall this feature?

I remember it Kathy. It ran in the paper for a season I think. The printed edition finished in 2009 and I would guess it was some time after 2000 when it appeared. That said it could have been as far back as the 1990s.

There were some good ones featured, China was popular, but others from places like Gt Yarmouth maybe less so.