KiwiScot

*Official Lappinitup Match Thread - Huddersfield v Norwich*

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Agree. Hudderfield carved out plenty of good chances, Gunn needed to make a couple of outstanding saves and a bit of desperate blocking was needed on occasions.

Sara had a decent game whilst not being at his commanding best (a la Millwall.) I don't think Warnockball quite suited him. Terriers by name terriers by nature.

Yes! I’m glad someone noticed Gunn’s saves. Keeps us grounded. Not being fussy but there’s a long way to go. The fact we seem to be scoring for fun is nice, I’d like to continue that so I’m grateful for Wagball. 

• Like 1

Having just watched the official club highlights I can’t help but be impressed at Placheta. It’s a fairly loose, 50/50 ball and his just slips a gear, gets to the ball and pulls away from the defender before the Hudds player has even reacted. It’s then a great, surging run down the wing and a simple, effective pass to put Idah 1v1.

I wonder how much of his improvement is down to a coach who doesn’t overload him with tactics and positioning thoughts and instead just lets him keep it simple and use his pace to create space and opportunities to lay the ball off in attack?

Whatever the change it’s good to see, as a lot of people (myself included) wrote him off before this season, Im happy to see that he has something to offer

• Like 2

I thought it was a strange game at times. In the last 20 minutes we were comfortable but before that, despite the score line, I didn’t feel we played that well. A mixture of some great, incisive play and some very sloppy play. We were saved by a few last minute blocks and saves by Gunn but I felt they got into our box too easily at times. A better side might have punished us. A great win but still areas to work on, especially if Sargent is out because Idah is not, in my view, the same presence up top.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I wonder how much of his improvement is down to a coach who doesn’t overload him with tactics and positioning thoughts and instead just lets him keep it simple and use his pace to create space and opportunities to lay the ball off in attack?

Wagner is very tactical, at least in comparison to Smith. I think you are right that he is responsible for Placheta improved effectiveness but this is because he now knows exactly what is expected of him, when he needs to do it and where.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I thought it was a strange game at times. In the last 20 minutes we were comfortable but before that, despite the score line, I didn’t feel we played that well. A mixture of some great, incisive play and some very sloppy play. We were saved by a few last minute blocks and saves by Gunn but I felt they got into our box too easily at times. A better side might have punished us. A great win but still areas to work on, especially if Sargent is out because Idah is not, in my view, the same presence up top.

It was a largely professional performance which just needed us to tick over after being gifted the first 2 goals 

15 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Factoring in the questionable quality of the opposition today I thought we had markedly less control in that game than we should have had. And, yes, I know we won 4-0...

Wagner system isn't really built on control, being more vertical and pressing. I  don't think we will see this team control many games, but it will be a difficult one for teams to play against for different reasons.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Having just watched the official club highlights I can’t help but be impressed at Placheta. It’s a fairly loose, 50/50 ball and his just slips a gear, gets to the ball and pulls away from the defender before the Hudds player has even reacted. It’s then a great, surging run down the wing and a simple, effective pass to put Idah 1v1.

There was another similar run a few minutes later, all it needed was the ball over the top and he was away. The defender must've had a good 10 yards head start but stood no chance, if the ball had been right.

19 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Wagner system isn't really built on control, being more vertical and pressing. I  don't think we will see this team control many games, but it will be a difficult one for teams to play against for different reasons.

Exactly this. You won't see this team controlling possession like Farke's best teams did. But you'll find this team exerts control in different ways, the primary one being that they force the opposition to play at their pace. Force an opposing team to do that, and you may slow them down through fatigue, or render them a shade more inaccurate in possession.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Wagner is very tactical, at least in comparison to Smith. I think you are right that he is responsible for Placheta improved effectiveness but this is because he now knows exactly what is expected of him, when he needs to do it and where.

**** me, I'm very tactical in comparison to Smith  :classic_tongue:

• Haha 5

Not seen much mention of Fassnacht on here. I thought he was excellent yesterday, some really classy touches to bring others into play and great decision making. 

P.S. Anyone got a link to a video of the Rowe chant?

14 minutes ago, Taiwan Canary said:

Not seen much mention of Fassnacht on here. I thought he was excellent yesterday, some really classy touches to bring others into play and great decision making. 

I think him and Stacey work really well together, loving to see that.

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I think him and Stacey work really well together, loving to see that.

From what I've seen so far, I would say Stacey's greatest strength is that he seems able to play well with almost anyone, whoever we put on the wing ahead of him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Taiwan Canary said:

He likes his crafty little flicks onto runners from deep. We wouldn't have got that third goal without him.

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

more filth

Something was filthy about that sorta flicking but I just couldn't quite put my finger on it.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Taiwan Canary said:

Seriously? I was at the game yesterday and it is still stuck in my head. It must have been 3/4 of what the crowd sang all game. I’ve got the radio on hoping something will displace it.

While I’m on the subject, massive credit to the City Elite, they surely have all lost their voices today. It’s probably easier to keep the atmosphere going when we’re winning like that, but it makes a huge difference to the level of support. (WTF were the sunglasses for though? In Huddersfield?).

23 minutes ago, Taiwan Canary said:

Despite numerous vloggers from Huddersfield (what is this obsession about?) posting videos on youtube of the match none of them captured the chant in full flow. The lyrics are here (albeit censored for posting).

#He came from Colney, he's running down the wing.

When he's running at you, you can't do anything. 

He's ducking magic and there's only one thing you should know. 

His name is Jonny: Jonny, Jonny Rowe.#

5 hours ago, BigFish said:

I understand that point, but even so we seemed to get drawn into a game - and against poorish opponents - where for quite long periods (the last 15 minutes or so of the first half, for example) we lacked much control at all. Significantly less than against Millwall, for example. 

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Despite numerous vloggers from Huddersfield (what is this obsession about?) posting videos on youtube of the match none of them captured the chant in full flow. The lyrics are here (albeit censored for posting).

#He came from Colney, he's running down the wing.

When he's running at you, you can't do anything. 

He's ducking magic and there's only one thing you should know. 

His name is Jonny: Jonny, Jonny Rowe.#

I hadn’t heard it before yesterday. It took a while before I realised the third line wasn’t “He’s ducking massive…” - I thought it had to be a dig at Lakey’s over-reaction to that photo of Rowe looking very muscular while he was out injured. 🤣