Sign in to follow this  
Iwans Big Toe

Megan Rapinoe - BBC article

Interesting as to what you compare the WSL to regards the number of people viewing on tv. Of course if you compare it to the EPL, the EPL wins comfortably. However if you place the comparison between the Championship and the WSL they are no longer that far apart. In fact due to the clubs with big fan bases getting promoted ( Leeds, Villa, Forest although Leeds are now back etc ) the numbers watching the Championship on tv are plummeting, whilst the women’s game viewing is growing rapidly. If press reports are to be believed, when next years review for the EFL is due, SKY are likely to want to pay a lot less for Championship games, and reduce dramatically what they pay. 
As far as watching at the stadiums goes, of course the 10 clubs only get massive gates when they play in the main stadiums. This year however that number of games is expanding rapidly, and who knows where it will be next year. Of course it must be remembered that the WSL only accounts for 10 teams in the country.

15 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

You have just proved yourself to be even stupider than I suspected. Read what I wrote, I have no problem with equal pay for women footy players. It is YOU that has a problem with ZW being paid what she is paid, which is probably equal to what a bloke would get for the same job.

You're so desperate to have a dig that its embarrassing, cringey and more than a little sad.  I bet you secretly fancy her and realise you have no chance, hence the bile. Does Mrs Ethics know that you spend so much time fantasizing  about ZW.... because that is exactly what you are doing, constructing an imaginary world  with poor Zoe  at the centre of it....a little concerning for us more balanced types.

No problem with women referees getting the same pay as men. It is a hard job and the same dress code requirements. There aren't that many of them though, they all want the soft jobs.

Perhaps another woman to admire is Tracey Crouch, the author of the Government's fan led review of football. Be rest assured though that another woman is keenly trying to tie the proposals to the Premier League bandwagon. What support for smaller clubs will emerge there?

Not generally fond of Tory MPs or Keir Starmer. Lisa Nandy for PM.

Edited by essex canary

32 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Perhaps another woman to admire is Tracey Crouch, the author of the Government's fan led review of football. Be rest assured though that another woman is keenly trying to tie the proposals to the Premier League bandwagon.

I wonder who this other woman is you refer to ? Could a clue be contained in Notes from the Boardroom from the game v Millwall last week ?

Edited by TIL 1010

On 23/08/2023 at 23:39, canarydan23 said:

It's 6:30 where I'm at.

Is this the normal time for you to be a d1ck?

Edited by The Bristol Nest

12 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I don't agree with it, but the way things are moving (much to the apparent disgust of you and others) it won't be long before businesses think their is good PR in this sort of deal and go for it without being forced. As you've said later, businesses sponsor for exposure and the men's game provides a lot more, and it's not on business to promote women's football.

However, it is on the governing bodies to do so, and where I feel parity should exist is in prize money. Fifa should package up the men's and women's World Cups as a single sponsorship deal, and the UEFA and FA should do the same for the Champions League and FA Cup. It'd be nice if something similar could be done for the EPL and WSL but the EPL are a corporation first and never consider anything other than earning potential, the wider sport can get to ****.

It's ridiculous that the men's US team got more prize money for not qualifying for a World Cup than their female counterparts got for winning it. It was a few years ago now, but I remember the year Kings Lynn got a televised FA Cup first round tie for Oldham and earned more in prize money from it than the FA Cup champions did in the women's game.

The poor old men won't miss out as prize money makes up such a small amount of their earnings, but it would quickly become a huge earner for women and would drive the game on.

FIFA makes tens of millions of pounds from the mens World Cup, I believe the current women’s one despite being the most watched and heavily backed one yet barely broke even.

Saying that they’re playing the same game so deserve equal pay (as Rapinhoe has in the past) would be like saying 4th division players playing in front of 5k fans deserve the same wages as those playing in the European Cup final 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

No problem with women referees getting the same pay as men. It is a hard job and the same dress code requirements. There aren't that many of them though, they all want the soft jobs.

Perhaps another woman to admire is Tracey Crouch, the author of the Government's fan led review of football. Be rest assured though that another woman is keenly trying to tie the proposals to the Premier League bandwagon. What support for smaller clubs will emerge there?

Not generally fond of Tory MPs or Keir Starmer. Lisa Nandy for PM.

My Lord, what a pr@t. Obfuscation, whataboutery and lookoverthere . You should be a politician.  ...that's not a compliment  btw. 

2 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

Saying that they’re playing the same game so deserve equal pay (as Rapinhoe has in the past) would be like saying 4th division players playing in front of 5k fans deserve the same wages as those playing in the European Cup final 

You either didn't mean to quote my post, didn't read it or didn't understand it.

I don't see how you can realistically separate the women's game from the men's game. The infrastructure that the women's game depends on has been built entirely on the economic success of the men's game.

Clubs in the men's game have actively contributed to the growth of the women's game through pursuing activities to promote the growth of the women's game. It seems a bit ungrateful for them to demand a higher share of access to wealth than they're generating.

The average female footballer earns about £50,000 a year. Top earners are in the 2-3 hunrdred thousand region That's not a bad living.in fact, you could argue it would be a restoration of some sanity to football if men's wages went down to something in line with women's wages. 50 grand for kicking a ball around a field is still pretty good.

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

you could argue it would be a restoration of some sanity to football if men's wages went down to something in line with women's wages. 50 grand for kicking a ball around a field is still pretty good.

It's the sacrifices you make in your earlier years in regards to education that justifies the pay increase for me.  I don't know if the woman's game has got to the level where a 12 year old girl has her education affected in the same way as a male footballer.

Our friends daughter is in the Norwich woman's team and she's been making the tough decision on whether to keep at it or go down the Uni path.  That's when pay becomes a critical factor, so yes 50k/year is good for doing something you love and having that experience for just 'kicking a ball' around. 

But is it enough as an average for a bright young girl to drop all her prospects to pursue a dream?  It's a tough one.   Not to be rude, but other team-mates where probably destined to work in a supermarket, so it's a completely different decision for them.... You can practically walk into that team if you're a girl with a bit of interest in the sport and parents willing to get you under their noses, it's so attainable for girls right now.

In comparison, I worked with a guy who's son was part of our FA youth squad with Lewis, Cantwell etc., and the difference in the work they had to put in was massive, spent thousands putting him through different schools, losing weekends, the dad having time off to take him to places during the week - that all seemed to be money spinners and carrots being dangled that lead to the 'elite'. 

It really affected his focus on high school and final grades, and also his confidence with all the knock backs and critique of physical elements that you can't help.   It looked like he was heading for great things with the FA youth win, and then out of the blue got released by the club.

Moved away, so don't even know what happened to him in the end.  I do remember that Russ Martin drove up to his house personally and spoke with him, gave him a load of contacts to find a new club and if he ever needed help to call him.... which just shows the measure of the man to do that.

But yeah, the sacrifices are pretty big, if you make it at this level you should be able to earn enough in 10 years that see's you good so you don't fall into a dead-end job afterwards I think - because of what you had to do to get there.  And that should be regardless of gender.

Question is how much sacrifice do the women make vs the men.  I guess the biggest is in regards to wanting to have a family, and what happens to a pro footballer who gets pregnant and can't play for an entire season - does that go into their contract?

Edited by Google Bot

With the bigger clubs doing more for the women's game it's sort of up to women to start going to these games, increasing attendances and thus increasing the revenue and interest levels commercially.

Plenty of women claim to like women's football and think it's great, without being able to name 3 players. Well take an interest! Give it a go! Get involved!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

It really affected his focus on high school and final grades, and also his confidence with all the knock backs and critique of physical elements that you can't help.   It looked like he was heading for great things with the FA youth win, and then out of the blue got released by the club.

Lewis and Cantwell weren't anywhere near the FA Youth Cup winning squad. That was a good few seasons before them.

16 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Lewis and Cantwell weren't anywhere near the FA Youth Cup winning squad. That was a good few seasons before them.

Ah you're right, They was after him, I always get the two squads confused as I know a few like Cantwell were around the academy at the time.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

With the bigger clubs doing more for the women's game it's sort of up to women to start going to these games, increasing attendances and thus increasing the revenue and interest levels commercially.

Plenty of women claim to like women's football and think it's great, without being able to name 3 players. Well take an interest! Give it a go! Get involved!

Didn't know Gianni Infantino posted on here. Welcome, Gianni!

Edited by Robert N. LiM
just a joke, Hoggy ;)

30 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Didn't know Gianni Infantino posted on here. Welcome, Gianni!

Harsh. I'm not even bald!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Google Bot said:

It's the sacrifices you make in your earlier years in regards to education that justifies the pay increase for me.  I don't know if the woman's game has got to the level where a 12 year old girl has her education affected in the same way as a male footballer.

Our friends daughter is in the Norwich woman's team and she's been making the tough decision on whether to keep at it or go down the Uni path.  That's when pay becomes a critical factor, so yes 50k/year is good for doing something you love and having that experience for just 'kicking a ball' around. 

But is it enough as an average for a bright young girl to drop all her prospects to pursue a dream?  It's a tough one.   Not to be rude, but other team-mates where probably destined to work in a supermarket, so it's a completely different decision for them.... You can practically walk into that team if you're a girl with a bit of interest in the sport and parents willing to get you under their noses, it's so attainable for girls right now.

In comparison, I worked with a guy who's son was part of our FA youth squad with Lewis, Cantwell etc., and the difference in the work they had to put in was massive, spent thousands putting him through different schools, losing weekends, the dad having time off to take him to places during the week - that all seemed to be money spinners and carrots being dangled that lead to the 'elite'. 

Moved away, so don't even know what happened to him in the end.  I do remember that Russ Martin drove up to his house personally and spoke with him, gave him a load of contacts to find a new club and if he ever needed help to call him.... which just shows the measure of the man to do that.

But yeah, the sacrifices are pretty big, if you make it at this level you should be able to earn enough in 10 years that see's you good so you don't fall into a dead-end job afterwards I think - because of what you had to do to get there.  And that should be regardless of gender.

Question is how much sacrifice do the women make vs the men.  I guess the biggest is in regards to wanting to have a family, and what happens to a pro footballer who gets pregnant and can't play for an entire season - does that go into their contract?

This is the crux...you could have twins one girl, one boy of equal footballing ability.

The girl could play 100 times for England, play professiomally in WSL, whilst the boy will only go on to play Amglian Combination level and still have to pursue a full time career.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

This is the crux...you could have twins one girl, one boy of equal footballing ability.

The girl could play 100 times for England, play professiomally in WSL, whilst the boy will only go on to play Amglian Combination level and still have to pursue a full time career.

You can believe that if you want. Wouldn't be the weirdest thing in the world to believe, I met an American this week who genuinely thinks Trump is the second coming of Christ. Referred to him as Jesus' baby brother.

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

I don’t think that’s right. The women play a % of their games at the main stadium ( considerably more this coming season ) and attract huge crowds. This season will almost certainly see the WSL viewing figures per match on SKY overtake the viewing figures of the Championship.

In addition the women’s FA cup final will sell out as will most England games, wether they are at Wembley or club grounds. I would think there are many sponsors now beginning to see the women’s game a better prospect than men’s football outside the EPL.

Barcelona and Real will attract several crowds in excess of 90,000 this year.

For those wishing for the game not to grow so rapidly you need to ban people like Rubiales who are doing their part to help the game grow through their complete lack of understanding.

Maybe they shouldn’t be paid at the moment as much as men’s EPL players, but on a like for like basis, should the bigger stars be paid as much as Championship players ?

Women's game needs to build up a head of steam for wages and therefore transfer fees to increase.  They'll  get paid as little as possible for as long as possible , it's business not sport. 

On 24/08/2023 at 11:34, Nuff Said said:

A loss loser? Wouldn’t that mean they reduce losses? A good thing surely.

Yours pedantically 

Sorry should have been a loss leader 😔 

• Like 1

On 25/08/2023 at 18:56, Well b back said:

I don’t think that’s right. The women play a % of their games at the main stadium ( considerably more this coming season ) and attract huge crowds. This season will almost certainly see the WSL viewing figures per match on SKY overtake the viewing figures of the Championship.

In addition the women’s FA cup final will sell out as will most England games, wether they are at Wembley or club grounds. I would think there are many sponsors now beginning to see the women’s game a better prospect than men’s football outside the EPL.

Barcelona and Real will attract several crowds in excess of 90,000 this year.

For those wishing for the game not to grow so rapidly you need to ban people like Rubiales who are doing their part to help the game grow through their complete lack of understanding.

Maybe they shouldn’t be paid at the moment as much as men’s EPL players, but on a like for like basis, should the bigger stars be paid as much as Championship players ?

I also think what needs to be taken into consideration is not just attendance but the price of tickets. In order for pay to rise revenue has to rise. Getting 10,000 attendance at £10 a ticket doesn't match 5,000 at £30 a head. I belive the women's fa cup that sold out was £25 a ticket. The men's is £70 ish. That is not knocking the cheap tickets as that is sensible to gain more interest just that it does affect the wages that can be paid. Does anyone have figures for average gate receipts in the championship compared to Chelsea or Man City women. 

25 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

I also think what needs to be taken into consideration is not just attendance but the price of tickets. In order for pay to rise revenue has to rise. Getting 10,000 attendance at £10 a ticket doesn't match 5,000 at £30 a head. I belive the women's fa cup that sold out was £25 a ticket. The men's is £70 ish. That is not knocking the cheap tickets as that is sensible to gain more interest just that it does affect the wages that can be paid. Does anyone have figures for average gate receipts in the championship compared to Chelsea or Man City women. 

Clearly more reasonable pricing is why people turn up. 

On 28/08/2023 at 10:16, essex canary said:

Clearly more reasonable pricing is why people turn up. 

Clearly it is. You will notice at women's football there are lots more family's around and thats great. For the sameprice as one ticket to a mens game you can take a whole family. The problem is this defeats the equal pay argument. I believe the women's world cup broke even for the first time. The men's makes nearly 7 billion. I would love to earn the same money as Federer but not enough people are willing to watch me play tennis in the park. 

The whole business of women in sport is now dominating the news headlines. Can they please get a grip on reality. These talks of leagacy and building the game is nonsense. Its them wanting more money and using the equality topic as a lever.

Why is that kiss at the WWC Final making headline news still? Is it really that important or just a silly mistake?

If there's enough interest in women's footy, do people  think the likes of sky  etc will bypass a revenue stream....don't be daft. Once they generate interest , they'll generate income.... that's how it works. Not ooooh you've got   T1ts ....have a pay rise well beyond your worth.  

53 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The whole business of women in sport is now dominating the news headlines. Can they please get a grip on reality. These talks of leagacy and building the game is nonsense. Its them wanting more money and using the equality topic as a lever.

Why is that kiss at the WWC Final making headline news still? Is it really that important or just a silly mistake?

There's a lot more to what's happened with the Spanish women's team. The kiss (assault) appears to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Like 2

Please can this be moved to the non football thread, I don't want to come on here to read amount women's football, there's one person in this thread who is pushing it everytime he can and it's boring. This is a Norwich football forum, if you want to talk about this do it elsewhere.

39 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

There's a lot more to what's happened with the Spanish women's team. The kiss (assault) appears to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Exactly, I think people need to check out about the 15 players who refused to play under the current coach.