Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

highlights are out

Went to the game. 

Can someone explain the offside goal? How can be be offside where the lino signalled? I'm at a loss with phases of play ! 

Just now, Norfolk Dan said:

Went to the game. 

Can someone explain the offside goal? How can be be offside where the lino signalled? I'm at a loss with phases of play ! 

I think we have to accept that he screwed up, either that or we simply don’t know the rules and just go with whatever decision is made. 

1 hour ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Went to the game. 

In the highlights the chap suggests he was flagged for first phase.

That said, both pens wouldn't have been given on another day.

The first was actually two incredibly soft decisions. Never a free kick. Absolute minimal contact. Then the pen was soft as hell. Duffy looks to head the ball onto his own arm due to the player in front jumping and pushing his arm up... like I say, seen many of those nothing given.

Pen at the end... their player has absolutely bought that off the ref. So pathetic their player should have been booked for it.

Two pens that soft and last week we didn't get one for a player swatting the ball away like it was volleyball and nothing given.

Still, I'd have taken a 1-1 draw at the start, 4-4 at least made it entertaining.

• Like 1

The flag went up because when the ball was struck there was a marginal offside. But this shouldn’t matter because the player wasn’t interfering with play- had tbe ball gone straight in it would have stood. The ball then rebounds to a player who wasn’t offside- so still all good- who cuts it inside to the player now onside, so it should have been a goal. Almost identical issue for Arsenal today and VAR gave it as a goal. 

First pen - his arm was forced up by another player. Marginal call and often not given 

Second pen- pathetic. Had it been outside box wouldn’t have blown. He was falling whilst seeking contact - ywllow card. 

bottom line- we was robbed. But that is par for the course in this league 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The flag went up because when the ball was struck there was a marginal offside. But this shouldn’t matter because the player wasn’t interfering with play- had tbe ball gone straight in it would have stood. The ball then rebounds to a player who wasn’t offside- so still all good- who cuts it inside to the player now onside, so it should have been a goal. Almost identical issue for Arsenal today and VAR gave it as a goal. 

First pen - his arm was forced up by another player. Marginal call and often not given 

Second pen- pathetic. Had it been outside box wouldn’t have blown. He was falling whilst seeking contact - ywllow card. 

I think we can all agree the standard of refereeing has dropped significantly over the past 30 years. VAR simply has to be implemented at this level now as the refs are so shambolic it’s the only way to get a fair outcome. 

Having watched the highlights back I can not believe 3 of their goals have stood. First goal clear push in the back of Stacey from the guy who nods it back in. The second goal is never a free kick in the first place for the ball to be put in the box not only that once it is then out in the box their player pushes Gibson into Duffy which makes his arm hit the ball. The 4th goal is worse the more you look at it. He’s falling over before Dimi has got near him. Absolutely shocking referring from someone who was a premier league ref last season. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Having watched the highlights back I can not believe 3 of their goals have stood. First goal clear push in the back of Stacey from the guy who nods it back in. The second goal is never a free kick in the first place for the ball to be put in the box not only that once it is then out in the box their player pushes Gibson into Duffy which makes his arm hit the ball. The 4th goal is worse the more you look at it. He’s falling over before Dimi has got near him. Absolutely shocking referring from someone who was a premier league ref last season. 

Spot on I'm afraid. But how on earth did he ever get to be a Premier League ref? I've seen better in the Thurlow Nunn league! 

Second penalty was bought but Giannoulus clearly barges into the Southampton player without any need.  We can put this down to Giannpoulus stupidity.

Also from these highlights two points why can't goalkeepers catch the ball anymore. I yearn for the days of Jennings, Shilton, Clemence and Keelan, if Gunn could even attempt to catch wouldn't have conceded first.  Secondly the Scots commentator twice announced Rowe scored lasr week against Sheff Wed not Hull. 

I watched the game live and at the time thought the penalty for handball was soft but seems there were little complaints and now the replay seems it was not intentional but his arm was raised. The most contentious issues were our disallowed goal which clearly was NOT offside as others have said , the only offside occurred when the original freekick was taken but he didn’t interfere with play in anyway, the second penalty was extremely soft but we will see them go either way this season. In summary the result should of been 4-5 - horrific defending from both sides to be honest which means Martin clearly will struggle in this league if he doesn’t tighten them up at the back.

The highlight for me is that a highlights vid last season should’ve lasted about 30 seconds for many games whereas this week there is clearly much left out of all the versions. OTBC

10 hours ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Went to the game. 

10 hours ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Went to the game. 

Agree with this, we need to go back to the days when the moment you are considered off side the flag goes up, so when the free kick was delivered Barnes was offside, end of story. To wait that long before flagging the offside is farcical...........

On balance of play the result was about right.

However, if hadn't been for their 12th man it would of been 4 or 5:2 to us.

All the same an excellent point and bodes well for the future.

4 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

If we add Stacey being pushed for the first goal you can see how ridiculous the officiating was.

Having looked at it again, these are my takeaways;

Soton 1st Goal - I don't see anything wrong on Stacey. I don't have a problem with it standing. I know it's a little harsh but I blame Hernandez. From relative safety, he puts Dimi under pressure, resulting in a corner and them scoring.

Soton 2nd Goal - I do not agree with the handball, but I can see why it was given. However, the free kick leading directly to the handball was never, ever a free kick. The Ref gave them the goal.

Rowe goal - What on earth are their defenders doing? Who was marking him? (don't tell me zonal, as he was definitely in a dangerous zone...)

Barnes goal - The worst of the lot. Never, ever, ever, ever off-side under any form of the rules and should have stood. What makes it worse, rather than going to discuss with the lino, he lets them take it quickly and attack. I think my head would have exploded if they had scored from that.

Soton 4th Goal - It is quite clearly never a penalty.

On balance of play, a draw was probably fair, on goal scoring incidents, we should have won 5-2. I really hope we complain about the officiating.

• Like 1

Now we have our highlights from the canaries youtube channel it gets worse viewing.

There are two robust challenges from Onel in their defensive third that were more fouls than the last pen.

Then Walker-Peters is scythed down towards the middle of the park that looks a nailed on foul... 

All you ask for is consistency...

• Like 1

On 13/08/2023 at 10:23, All the Germans said:

take it quickly and attack. I think my head would have exploded if they had scored from that.

I agree, however to stop this a player just needs to collect one of the spare balls and boot this upfield, the referee has to then stop the game, would be a yellow card but stops this immediately 

Overall players , managers  and clubs (supported by broadcasters’ pundits) are the root cause of the modern complaints about worsening refs and linos IMO.

Over the same 30 years, cheating and professional simulation or exaggeration have become an apparently acceptable and certainly endemic part of the game.

i think it makes it impossible for human (or AI!) officials to get the right calls, even in the big moments nowadays. 

However equally stupid is the refereeing guidance such as Falling + any type of physical contact with (ie most tackles on) attacker = penalty.

Also not to say there aren’t the usual ref mistakes and pathetic ‘home advantage’ patterns on top, which were always there.