S_81

Mason Greenwood

Fictional - and highly doubtful our club would sign him - but in theory would you accept him at Carrow Road on loan?

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I doubt any British club would sign him. 

We may well find out soon. The fact he has no criminal charges may be their get out. Albeit that’s possibly only because the key to the case wouldn’t testify. 

24 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I doubt any British club would sign him. 

I wouldn't be so sure, they tried to sign Ched Evans before he'd had his conviction overturned, hell, Sheffield utd even went to speak to him about it whilst he was still in prison!

28 minutes ago, S_81 said:

We may well find out soon. The fact he has no criminal charges may be their get out. Albeit that’s possibly only because the key to the case wouldn’t testify. 

I think any club, certainly in this country, would suffer such a backlash in terms of a loss of sponsorship, a hammering in the media and even a potential boycott from some fans (mainly female), which would make them decide that it isn't worth the hassle or risk. 

In some countries, attitudes towards this type of behaviour might not be as strong as they are over here nowadays.

6 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I wouldn't be so sure, they tried to sign Ched Evans before he'd had his conviction overturned, hell, Sheffield utd even went to speak to him about it whilst he was still in prison!

And the Evans tale could be a lesson to clubs. Would the furore be worth it? And besides, even though we're only going back a decade, I think public opinion on this sort of thing is much stronger now.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

And the Evans tale could be a lesson to clubs. Would the furore be worth it? And besides, even though we're only going back a decade, I think public opinion on this sort of thing is much stronger now.

Deleted on reading @dylanisabaddog's post.

Edited by cornish sam

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Would we want a woman beater at our club?

Gee, wonder if we do?

Do you seriously have to ask the question with Delia and Zoe here? You can add attempted rape to that as well.

Looks like Man Utd want to speak to the women players currently away with England before making a decision, which suggests to me they want to do something with him. That's a total cop out imo.

Way too early to expect a British club to take him.

Love the ignoring of the innocent until proven guilty stance on this thread.

He may have done it, he may not, but how it stands he's not been proven guilty or convicted, so in the eyes of our legal system he's not guilty. 

A key witness may have refused to give evidence,  for what ever reason, again that's their right. But if one person not giving evidence means there is no case then the case may not have been that strong, and certainly not in the public interest to bring a case,  and just one person's word against another, from.whats been reported.

I'm not defending Greenwood (and the like), as I, like everyone on here, have little /no idea on the actual facts of the case as it never went to court.

I just hope if any one on here is ever accused of anything they have the opportunity to defend themselves and the right to potentially clear their name (if appropriate) via our legal systems.

Remember it's innocent until proven guilty, beyond reasonable doubt. And it's not up to the accused /defendant to prove their innocence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

An interesting topic. The police often get a battering about conviction rates but the reality is, unlike lots of other criminal offences, there are usually only two immediate witnesses to the alleged offence (victim and suspect) so no-one else really knows what happened.

Add the requirement to prove the offence in court to "beyond all reasonable doubt" makes the allegation extremely difficult to prove.

Add in the "she was gagging for it" or "no smoke without fire" brigades and the water is further muddied.

Either way, think it's safe to say Mr Greenwood's playing options will extremely limited.

• Like 1

No I'd not want him at our club. He has no convictions but only because the woman he attacked refused to prosecute. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Love the ignoring of the innocent until proven guilty stance on this thread.

He may have done it, he may not, but how it stands he's not been proven guilty or convicted, so in the eyes of our legal system he's not guilty. 

A key witness may have refused to give evidence,  for what ever reason, again that's their right. But if one person not giving evidence means there is no case then the case may not have been that strong, and certainly not in the public interest to bring a case,  and just one person's word against another, from.whats been reported.

I'm not defending Greenwood (and the like), as I, like everyone on here, have little /no idea on the actual facts of the case as it never went to court.

I just hope if any one on here is ever accused of anything they have the opportunity to defend themselves and the right to potentially clear their name (if appropriate) via our legal systems.

Remember it's innocent until proven guilty, beyond reasonable doubt. And it's not up to the accused /defendant to prove their innocence.

Innocent until proven guilty? Here's a transcript of the recording of Greenwood and his girlfriend.

"M: Move your ****ing legs up!

H No! I don't want to have sex!

M: I don't give a **** what you want, you little ****.

H: Mason!

M: Shut up. Stop talking to me. Stop!

H: Stop putting your **** near me.

M: I'm going to **** you, you ****!

H: I don't want to have sex with you!

M: I don't care if you don't want ****ing sex with me, do you hear me?"

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

55 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think any club, certainly in this country, would suffer such a backlash in terms of a loss of sponsorship, a hammering in the media and even a potential boycott from some fans (mainly female), which would make them decide that it isn't worth the hassle or risk. 

In some countries, attitudes towards this type of behaviour might not be as strong as they are over here nowadays.

I'd boycott the club and I'm not a female. I would like to believe that our fans would make a stand and men would also join in in numbers. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Richard Richard said:

An interesting topic. The police often get a battering about conviction rates but the reality is, unlike lots of other criminal offences, there are usually only two immediate witnesses to the alleged offence (victim and suspect) so no-one else really knows what happened.

Add the requirement to prove the offence in court to "beyond all reasonable doubt" makes the allegation extremely difficult to prove.

Add in the "she was gagging for it" or "no smoke without fire" brigades and the water is further muddied.

Either way, think it's safe to say Mr Greenwood's playing options will extremely limited.

Always seems to me crimes against women have to be doubly proved 'just in case'. 

In Greenwood's case the recorded audio ought to have been enough 

He's a lucky lad to escape being convicted.

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Innocent until proven guilty? Here's a transcript of the recording of Greenwood and his girlfriend.

Maybe. 

All I'm saying is in this country without going to court, and a guilty verdict being delivered is that in the eyes of the law, hes innocent. Thats the ONLY fact in this case.

We all have the right to clear our name.

How do you know 100% that transcript is genuine?? 

I hope you never get called.for jury service , or worst still have an accusation made against you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Maybe. 

All I'm saying is in this country without going to court, and a guilty verdict being delivered is that in the eyes of the law, hes innocent. Thats the ONLY fact in this case.

We all have the right to clear our name.

How do you know 100% that transcript is genuine?? 

I hope you never get called.for jury service , or worst still have an accusation made against you.

He only got away with it when the witness stepped down. I wonder why she did that? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Would we want a rapist and woman beater at our club?

Gee, wonder if we do?

Screenshot taken and forwarded to Greenwood's legal team. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

He only got away with it when the witness stepped down. I wonder why she did that? 

I have no idea, but there are rules against witness intimidation and the like. I'm sure the cps would have to be satisfied of no "wrong doing" from a legal rather than moral perspective. 

Being a Stone Age technology man I don’t know how to download a bbc article but it may be interesting to look up the case of David Goodwillie (yes I know all you fellow benny Hill fans) and the ongoing controversy surrounding his rape conviction in a civil court in Scotland.

2 minutes ago, Ernie Wise said:

Being a Stone Age technology man I don’t know how to download a bbc article but it may be interesting to look up the case of David Goodwillie (yes I know all you fellow benny Hill fans) and the ongoing controversy surrounding his rape conviction in a civil court in Scotland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66290174

That one? 

Personally I have no idea on civil cases or Scottish processes so cannot comment on that one but will have a read.

Edited by Greavsy

18 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This is all that needs to be said. We've all heard it. No club should touch him and no fan should support him.

Just because you're not convicted doesn't mean you didn't do it, there's all sorts of technicalities you can get away with. The evidence is right there.

Just now, splutcho said:

This is all that needs to be said. We've all heard it. No club should touch him and no fan should support him.

Just because you're not convicted doesn't mean you didn't do it, there's all sorts of technicalities you can get away with. The evidence is right there.

Fair point, but legally he is still innocent.

Rightly or wrongly, but factually that is the reality.

That was my point.

4 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Fair point, but legally he is still innocent.

Rightly or wrongly, but factually that is the reality.

That was my point.

I see the point you're making but whether or not I want him playing for our club isn't a legal matter it's a moral one.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, splutcho said:

I see the point you're making but whether or not I want him playing for our club isn't a legal matter it's a moral one.

Exactly,  and you are perfectly entitled to that.