Sign in to follow this  
fetchyafathersgun

Cantwell

Whether people like it or not, Cantwell was the most talented player to "properly" come through the academy in years.

It was a great shame that he wasn't able to flourish here - and the pathetically parochial atmosphere pushed by some of our fans was a contributing factor in that.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Why's that then?

Must have been about 20 years ago. I was working up north for a while and went to Man Utd v Rangers. It was extraordinary. I've seen some idiots at Carrow Road over the years but nothing like that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Doing his Neymar impression:

Couldn't care less who the **** that is, if I were the defender after that, he'd get dogs abuse and then absolutely poleaxed at the next opportunity. Bonus points if I managed to smack him into the dugout.

10 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Doing his Neymar impression:

That's embarrassing. He's better than that surely. Do they have VAR in Scotland? Can he be punished for the clear and obvious error of falling over for no reason?

I expect you'll hear the usual **** from pundits.

He was touched so had 'the right to go down' 

They're part of the problem.

There's no foul there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

That's embarrassing. He's better than that surely. Do they have VAR in Scotland? Can he be punished for the clear and obvious error of falling over for no reason?

I expect you'll hear the usual **** from pundits.

He was touched so had 'the right to go down' 

They're part of the problem.

There's no foul there.

This is what happens when the laws regarding fouls are weighed far too heavily in favour of the attacking side. The risk of being caught is far lower than the benefits of the set-pieces, particularly close-range free-kicks and penalties - and especially cards for opposing players.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

This is what happens when the laws regarding fouls are weighed far too heavily in favour of the attacking side. The risk of being caught is far lower than the benefits of the set-pieces, particularly close-range free-kicks and penalties - and especially cards for opposing players.

No, this is what happens when players cheat.

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No, this is what happens when players cheat.

Yeah, they cheat because the advantages of it succeeding far outweigh the risks/penalty of being caught. Did we have anywhere near the same amount of simulation in the 70s and 80s?

30 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yeah, they cheat because the advantages of it succeeding far outweigh the risks/penalty of being caught. Did we have anywhere near the same amount of simulation in the 70s and 80s?

It's been creeping in for years, shame really.

9 hours ago, lake district canary said:

It's been creeping in for years, shame really.

Agree, and I'll maintain it's due to the laws being tweaked so much that they massively favour attackers over defenders.

Scrap penalty kicks and let's start being much more lenient with cards for tackles and I think we'll see a far better game, with far less cancerous simulation in it.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agree, and I'll maintain it's due to the laws being tweaked so much that they massively favour attackers over defenders.

Scrap penalty kicks and let's start being much more lenient with cards for tackles and I think we'll see a far better game, with far less cancerous simulation in it.

I like the idea of scrapping penalties, yet with the tackles I sort of think football is just better now there is very little contact, there are less injuries, and players with longer careers.

If we are going for off the wall ideas, perhaps a dive should be a straight red, referees should hand those out quickly and VAR only get involved if it was a clear error.  I am not just talking about in the penalty area, I also mean when a striker is on the halfway line out muscling someone, and then crumples two seconds later under a similar amount of force when the opposition try to win the ball back.  

It beat his dive against Olympiacos, Todd definitely needs to master the cheating art much better. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

3 hours ago, Newtopia said:

I like the idea of scrapping penalties, yet with the tackles I sort of think football is just better now there is very little contact, there are less injuries, and players with longer careers.

If we are going for off the wall ideas, perhaps a dive should be a straight red, referees should hand those out quickly and VAR only get involved if it was a clear error.  I am not just talking about in the penalty area, I also mean when a striker is on the halfway line out muscling someone, and then crumples two seconds later under a similar amount of force when the opposition try to win the ball back.  

Can see that argument, I miss the proper blood-and-thunder derbies where the tackles were allowed to fly in a bit. Very few things outside scoring a goal get the crowd going as well as a thunderous, but fair tackle. Nowadays it looks like if you miss, you're automatically in the book and that's way too tight for my taste.

I'd question the notion that there are fewer injuries. I'd think the physical demands of the game have shot up such that players are more finely tuned and more vulnerable to injuries, they are just less likely to be contact ones. Don't have stats to hand though.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1