Terminally Yellow

**** all you Idah haters!!! Yes!!!!

7 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Genuine hate is a deeply held emotion that often evokes response. 'It implies an emotional aversion often coupled with enmity or malice.' The fact that it is often loosely used as a casual expression in the heat of the occasion makes it just that, a casually used expression.

Nobody genuinely hates Adam Idah or means him harm.

What you say is true, but at the games he gets an awful lot of comments from people which are based on pure emotion.  It must get to him.

I'm an Idah critic based on the evidence on display rather than some weird desire to abuse one of our players. I'm delighted for him to have scored and hope it boosts his confidence and helps him to develop. 

My observation is that he's not a very intelligent player (and this is backed up by my observation of his driving). He doesn't seem to have a great awareness of the players and movement around him so he struggles to link up play and time his runs.

Hopefully he'll improve over the next five years. This is a good start.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, hogesar said:

The rest of your post is fine but point A seems to be demonstrably untrue from my position in the lower barclay, not least because one fan behind me shouted "Not f*cking Idah I can't stand the c*nt" whilst his brain dead mates congratulated him.

Cool story bro 

A section of football fans have always turned on their own. On doesn’t have to be Sigmund Freud to link their disappointment and anger to their own internal inadequacies. I’m more evangelical myself ( in message board terms this translates as happy clapper). 

Having said that Petrix has summed it up for me. I’m also yet to be convinced by Barnes as a regular starter, who also played well yesterday. 

I maintain it’s a shame we haven’t been able to give him the opportunity of a really good loan somewhere. I think it would have brought his game on hugely. He got dropped in to senior football and has to hit the ground running. He’s got every opportunity to get in and secure a spot.

With our better quality of crosses and set plays coming in, maybe a front 2 of Barnes and Idah is the way to go?

19 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I maintain it’s a shame we haven’t been able to give him the opportunity of a really good loan somewhere. I think it would have brought his game on hugely. He got dropped in to senior football and has to hit the ground running. He’s got every opportunity to get in and secure a spot.

With our better quality of crosses and set plays coming in, maybe a front 2 of Barnes and Idah is the way to go?

Sarge didn't have his best game yesterday but I think he's the best of the three, I certainly wouldn't be dropping him unless he's seriously off form.

EDIT: Agree with you about the loan, though. A whole season of regular starts would really have benefited his development.

Edited by Feedthewolf

The idea that that those people that question Idah’s progress and ability “hate” him is pathetic. 

Idah has been ineffective for far too long. The reasons why are up for valid debate . Could be confidence. Could be technique. Could be coaching . Who knows. 

• Like 2

Well lets face it he had to score at some point did’nt he - there is a high degree of probability that any striker playing up front will have at least one chance fall their way at some point but the way a successful striker is looked at is by the amount of goals that they obtain - the same can be said of Sargent to some degree and to have them both on fire would only benefit the team as a whole - the jury is still out for me on Idah as the goal yesterday was one of those that was really unmissable although am glad he did’nt 

Unfortunately when it comes to some fans. If you raise any issues regarding a players ability or performance that isn’t a sycophantic love in you’re accused of hating that player. 
Idah hasn’t shown the level required to warrant anything other than criticism of his overall performance during the time he’s played for us. All in all he’s been below the standard required much more often that he’s achieved it. If a new player has a poor start to his career then I’m all for giving him time to settle and wait to see if there is improvement. However this isn’t the case with Idah. He isn’t a fresh faced youngster anymore and he has had numerous opportunities which haven’t yielded the return expected. 
Giving him a 5 year contract seems like a massive endorsement of the player by the club and leads many to say the club must know better than us fans. But many would see it as another piece of bad business which the “club” are not exactly unknown for. The Rashica and Tzolis transfer spends being prime examples!

Really pleased for the lad.. his first two touches were really poor but did what all strikers are paid to do and reacted quicker than anyone to poke the ball home...  loved it!

With the team performing as it should is the best time to judge players, especially relatively young ones and we haven't (edited! obviously we haven't) played well for 2 seasons. With hindsight a loan away would probably have been best but circumstances have probably meant us keeping him as back up. The way Adam Idah reacted and changed the angle of the nudge into the net yesterday to avoid the goalkeeper was brilliant and far better than just a "tap in".

Last season in one of Farkes games he shoved one of the opposition centre backs out of the way like he wasn't there when they were both running for the ball and since then known there's a good player in there somewhere because you never see a Prem CB bullied like that. Hopefully this will be his season. We still may be one striker light, especially if we are playing with 2, albeit one dropped slightly deeper. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign one on loan, but Adam must be higher in the pecking order. 

If Idah is on the pitch, with either Barnes or Sargent - Idah should be used as the more advanced one out of the 2 (imo) because he seems to have the poacher instinct (again imo anyway, and I'm not just going by Hull game) and the strength to be a real problem for defenders in and around the box. Time will tell. 

Edited by Newports Canary
Typo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Newports Canary said:

With the team performing as it should is the best time to judge players, especially relatively young ones and we have played well for 2 seasons. With hindsight a loan away would probably have been best but circumstances have probably meant us keeping him as back up. The way Adam Idah reacted and changed the angle of the nudge into the net yesterday to avoid the goalkeeper was brilliant and far better than just a "tap in".

Last season in one of Farkes games he shoved one of the opposition centre backs out of the way like he wasn't there when they were both running for the ball and since then known there's a good player in there somewhere because you never see a Prem CB bullied like that. Hopefully this will be his season. We still may be one striker light, especially if we are playing with 2, albeit one dropped slightly deeper. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign one on loan, but Adam must be higher in the pecking order. 

If Idah is on the pitch, with either Barnes or Sargent - Idah should be used as the more advanced one out of the 2 (imo) because he seems to have the poacher instinct (again imo anyway, and I'm not just going by Hull game) and the strength to be a real problem for defenders in and around the box. Time will tell. 

Great post!

That’s the Idah I see. Our last PL season he had West Ham and particularly Everton defenders sheeting themselves. Saturday’s finish was due to awareness and fast reactions.

As for the loan, I don’t see when it was ever possible due to injuries. He really has been better off here where we could manage that. 

As you say Sarge’s position is where he’d be and if we can keep Adam fit it will be a great competition between them for the shirt. Sarge has that shirt now and despite Idah’s goal it should still be his. The way Sarge bravely got on the end of Stacey’s wonderful cross in the first half, that brought the great save from their keeper, is something I’ve yet to see from Idah.

Edited by nutty nigel

On 05/08/2023 at 17:21, Ken Hairy said:

B) 1 swallow a summer does not make.

4 swallows now, how many does it take to make a Summer? Or, 1 swallow every 88 minutes.

If he was 29 and playing in League 1 for Posh there are posters on here who would be wetting themselves with excitement saying we should sign him ASAP>

• Like 2