Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

Championship Spending Chart

An interesting chart showing spending to be pretty low across the board when it comes to the Championship, particularly given the fees spent in the Premier League....

Fair to say the league as a whole is in negative transfer spend looking at those figures.

Another showing fees received. Outdated again as it doesn't include our sale of Bali Mumba, but goes to show that Championship clubs are typically spending £1 for every £2 received. 

Only problem with is is that it only gives one side of the story: for instance Leicester have lost a number of their star players, Coventry were only spending a portion of the sale for their star striker.

Edit: was typing that when you were posting the second table!  That puts a bit more context.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

An interesting chart showing spending to be pretty low across the board when it comes to the Championship, particularly given the fees spent in the Premier League....

Is there a chart that presents undisclosed fees? 😃

8 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Another showing fees received. Outdated again as it doesn't include our sale of Bali Mumba, but goes to show that Championship clubs are typically spending £1 for every £2 received. 

Ours should have the money from Maddison’s move?

A better chart would be contributions , goals, assists, clean sheets etc per £ spent 

1 hour ago, Bert said:

A better chart would be contributions , goals, assists, clean sheets etc per £ spent 

if that was applied to our record in recent times the rightward movement on the chart presented here for NCFC would be minimal. 

How reliable are any of those figures as to me i suspect a fair bit of conjecture has gone into them which if posted enough times becomes internet fact ?

Edited by TIL 1010

11 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

How reliable are any of those figures as to me i suspect a fair bit of conjecture has gone into them which if posted enough times becomes internet fact ?

Sounds like a job for the chairman of the audit committee to thoroughly review, if you ask me…

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Surely net spend is the key figure (i.e. purchases minus sales)? In this case Leicester would be net spenders of minus £64.75 million. 

In other words they have taken a team that got relegated and sold its best players - not that unusual. 

Southampton would be minus £9.8 million5; Coventry minus £10.75 million etc

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Surely net spend is the key figure (i.e. purchases minus sales)? In this case Leicester would be net spenders of minus £64.75 million. 

In other words they have taken a team that got relegated and sold its best players - not that unusual. 

Southampton would be minus £9.8 million5; Coventry minus £10.75 million etc

Agreed, like fans on here claiming we had a spend of £60m 21/22 season but conveniently forgetting the Buendia sale. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Agreed, like fans on here claiming we had a spend of £60m 21/22 season but conveniently forgetting the Buendia sale. 

Absolutely.

The Championship won't recover from COVID for a long, long time. It was heading that way until a major guaranteed income (gate receipts) got wiped out for 18 months.

League's One and Two are even worse. Sad. The gap widens.

4 hours ago, Bert said:

Kind of like an 'Xg cross-reference with fees'

Imagine the meltdown on here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captain Holt said:

The Championship won't recover from COVID for a long, long time. It was heading that way until a major guaranteed income (gate receipts) got wiped out for 18 months.

League's One and Two are even worse. Sad. The gap widens.

I can't see the Championship ever recovering. Aside from those clubs with parachute payments it is more a question of the least poor clubs rather than the richest. All relative, I just listened to the Price of Football podcast and the budget of the Villa team that became European Champions really does show how the game has changed.

Price of Football