Expectation Management. Do not expect very much and then you will not be disappointed when we finish in the bottom half of the Championship. But taking a quick reality check and you will acknowledge that little has changed at Carrow Road that would engender optimism for the upcoming season. Same Head Coach, same Sporting Director (now working his notice) and the same owners. We all travel in hope but I suspect that we will struggle from the opening game to the last.

• Like 1

Genuinely gutted about Mumba, I was looking forward to seeing his impact on the team, we are now left hoping Tzolis comes good out wide, he isn't even a winger.

On the positive side, Sara and Sargent should be even more effective this season.  Duffy looks solid, Barnes is a good fit, and Stacey looks good going forward.

I am not sure where Nunez, Rowe, or Tzolis fit into the team.

I still believe there are good players in the squad, just I have not got confidence that the squad fits the style.  Also really nervous about how open we look in defence when Sara breaks forward, whilst how toothless we look when he doesn't.

Genuinely concerned that someone makes an offer for Sara which we can't turn down (around 5M based on Mumba sale) just before the season starts.

8 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Genuinely gutted about Mumba, I was looking forward to seeing his impact on the team, we are now left hoping Tzolis comes good out wide, he isn't even a winger.

On the positive side, Sara and Sargent should be even more effective this season.  Duffy looks solid, Barnes is a good fit, and Stacey looks good going forward.

I am not sure where Nunez, Rowe, or Tzolis fit into the team.

I still believe there are good players in the squad, just I have not got confidence that the squad fits the style.  Also really nervous about how open we look in defence when Sara breaks forward, whilst how toothless we look when he doesn't.

Genuinely concerned that someone makes an offer for Sara which we can't turn down (around 5M based on Mumba sale) just before the season starts.

I'm pretty sure Tzolis won't be here by the time the season starts judging by the comments of Connor Southwell, who has obviously been primed by Wagner.

Never mind, we'll have Idah.

Midfield looked weak when we were caught going forward last season 

a good CDM would have sorted that problem,

i honestly thought that would have been one of the first signings this summer , instead it seems Wagner thinks Sorensen can do it ,

not enough has changed for me ,

Lack of Goals in squad only Sarge proven goal scorer and he did that for 1/2 a season before he was moved out wide so hopefully he can do it over a season ,

anything happens to Sarge we have a low scoring Barnes and Idah upfront 

We are still five weeks from the transfer window closing, I’m still expecting Rashica, Aaron’s & Omobamadele gone by then, sure we might get in a couple loan players and possibly a couple more permanent once funds are available from sales.

I think we’ve got in different type of players, are they better, not in my opinion, sorry but Pukki was better the Barney’s is now and swapping Omobamadele for Duffy and Aaron’s for Stacey are all weaker players in my book. That said experience will help and if we gain a few million to spend strengthening other areas we might just improve the squad! But we need to wait and see.

Expectation for me is top 10 there about.

The main thing I expect is football that is not as attractive. The style of football we are being set up to play had better be affective because I can see people being very unhappy if not. Have we been spoiled in the past, possibly. If the new style wins games people will accept it. If it doesn't it could turn the atmosphere toxic again. 

14 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I want to see patience with Wagner and not calling for his head if it doesn't start well.

Why? He won one in the last 11, hardly like he’s just come into the job. He should be hitting the ground running; or bye bye 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, S_81 said:

Why? He won one in the last 11, hardly like he’s just come into the job. He should be hitting the ground running; or bye bye 

Because it doesn't work to keep sacking managers and I dont want to become Watford.

Really important we have a few years mid to lower table, and try and re educate a proportion of the fan base that have lost touch with reality of the game

8 hours ago, Corbs1 said:

Really important we have a few years mid to lower table, and try and re educate a proportion of the fan base that have lost touch with reality of the game

Not sure I'd go that far but see what you're driving at. Following Farke was a poisoned chalice. Following any highly popular and successful manager is often one of the toughest managerial jobs going as you're dealing with raised expectations.

Look at Man Utd after Ferguson. Look at Arsenal after Wenger. At a lower level, Charlton after Curbishley, Wigan after Martinez and Bolton after Allardyce.

12 minutes ago, ZLF said:

I'd like to think he's way out with his positional prediction, but difficult to argue with his comments. This one is particular will probably rile the pro-Webber brigade but is particularly spot on;

"When the club won the title at this level in 2020-21, they could afford to minimize the hangover effect of relegation by adding fresh talent, but it's not something the club could afford to do last summer, or in this one, due to 2021's wasteful extravagance."

Another (correct) perception about our fanbase too;

"while the Canaries have a largely patient fanbase, they've been put through the ringer over the last two years, as the gap between club and supporters has felt wide as the Norfolk Broads."

Yet if you believe some of the people on here, that largely patient fanbase next gave Smith a chance, booed constantly and forced him out of the club, and are then attempting to repeat the trick with Wagner. Admittedly, this bizarre premise tends to be peddled by those who don't attend games, but there are one or two that do who would have you believe this nonsense.

• Like 2

On 21/07/2023 at 13:59, lake district canary said:

Ok, so it is clear this coming Championship league season is going to be perhaps the most competitive one ever, so probably no run-away leaders, a very congested mid-table scenario, with most clubs within distance of either end of the table. To get top six will need a sustained good run at some point of the season - and yes it could be us, but it might not be - not because we are necessarily that poor on the pitch, but by the sheer quality and competiteness of the league.

So do we throw our toys out of the pram if we're not in or near the top six after ten games?  If we struggle to start with, do we do the same as some fans did in Farke's second season after a few games and shout for Wagner's head? Or have we learned that sometimes instant success on the pitch is not guaranteed and that we will have to be patient?

All these are very silly questions, because there are ALWAYS fans who lose the plot easily, but really, what should we expect?  For my money we should expect the team to give 100% and leave it all out there - but not expect instant results.  Even last season we could - and maybe should have got a top six place - all it needed was a decent few games near the end of the season - and as long as we are mid-table towards the end of this season, there is always that chance we could put a run together and get in there.

This season - more than any other - is not going to be a walk in the park, so I suggest girding your loins, get ready for the battles ahead, leave your cynicism at home and don't expect too much straight away..........but that's just wht I think, what do you think? 

I think we all need to be more humble and take one game at a time 🙂

The difficulty I'm having right now is actually having objective expectations. Instead, it's a set of hopes for me. 

I hope we can establish some positive consistency, if not in results then certainly in terms of playing style and identity. I hope maligned players can come good. I hope others can live up to their billing. I hope we get 6 points from the two games against Ipswich. I hope we can at least be in the mix and have something to play for come the end of the season. I hope that any dips in form will be temporary, not a trend or characteristic. 

If I've learned one thing from supporting Norwich for 38 years, it's that having expectations tends to end in disappointment, or at least a sense of unfulfillment. 

16 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Because it doesn't work to keep sacking managers and I dont want to become Watford.

They’ll likely be above us next year; but I agree they’re an extreme example. But often we are the other end of that - not assertive enough 

I am prepared to view the coming season with a clean slate, there is no alternate even though it is difficult to know whether to be positive or negative in outlook to be honest.

The manager is talking a good game and his tactical approach seems to be coming together with the signings and prospective signings so far. Even the sale of Mumba has now been justified on the City site as more tactical than financial whilst it has to be accepted that no sales can be predicted as seems to be confirmed by the seeming stalemate over Rashica and lack of movement on the Aarons front. As for Omobamidele, who has a clue what is happening there?

I am getting the impression, however, that the sale of Mumba won't be the only major surprise in store. Could it be Angus Gunn destined for the door? Krul is still up there whilst there have been overwhelmingly glowing reports of young Reyes' ability.

The signings have been practical rather than exciting and for this reason we should be a strong outfit next season and a repeat of last season's floppiness should not be anticipated.

We are however a club in flux. Webber will be gone sooner rather than later, the American interest bubbles away and could eventually lead to major changes at the top and the manager has to be a doubt simply because he presided over that disastrous run at the end of last season and even accepting the injury situation and the player’s shortcomings he did seem rather clueless with team selection, tactics and substitutions.

Here's hoping that everything knits together.

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I am prepared to view the coming season with a clean slate, there is no alternate even though it is difficult to know whether to be positive or negative in outlook to be honest.

The manager is talking a good game and his tactical approach seems to be coming together with the signings and prospective signings so far. Even the sale of Mumba has now been justified on the City site as more tactical than financial whilst it has to be accepted that no sales can be predicted as seems to be confirmed by the seeming stalemate over Rashica and lack of movement on the Aarons front. As for Omobamidele, who has a clue what is happening there?

I am getting the impression, however, that the sale of Mumba won't be the only major surprise in store. Could it be Angus Gunn destined for the door? Krul is still up there whilst there have been overwhelmingly glowing reports of young Reyes' ability.

The signings have been practical rather than exciting and for this reason we should be a strong outfit next season and a repeat of last season's floppiness should not be anticipated.

We are however a club in flux. Webber will be gone sooner rather than later, the American interest bubbles away and could eventually lead to major changes at the top and the manager has to be a doubt simply because he presided over that disastrous run at the end of last season and even accepting the injury situation and the player’s shortcomings he did seem rather clueless with team selection, tactics and substitutions.

Here's hoping that everything knits together.

I cant see Gunn leaving, I personally see it as lazy internet links being that Leeds need a new keeper. I dont want to see Krul back in goal, however there seems to of been a lot of emphasis on him in pre season.

9 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I cant see Gunn leaving, I personally see it as lazy internet links being that Leeds need a new keeper. I dont want to see Krul back in goal, however there seems to of been a lot of emphasis on him in pre season.

The reports surprised me even though I cannot write Krul off as readily as yourself. The latter always seemed the most likely to depart, however.

The signing of Vincente Reyes was also a surprise considering that we already had a more than decent stable of young 'keepers (Archie Mair, Dan Barden and Jon McCracken) at the club.

Described as "for the development squad," the signing and subsequent reports about him suggest that, at 20, he might well be destined for the first team squad sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

The only certain thing is the fans expectations from a year ago when quite a few  were thinking top 2 and many thinking top 6...how thats changed. I always thought a mid table finish with around 60 points...similat to Farke's 1st season..which is pretty much how it ended...but that end...those last 10 games or so were hard to take for any City fan.

Now it seems only a few are thinking top 6 and  many mid table..which is much more realistic. But its hard to gauge any predictions for sure right now, with many weeks of the transfer window to go, despite the reality of facing a tigerish talking   and seemingly confident Humber outfit about to clash with us very soon as the season opener. Also with SW leaving and the almost stasis feeling  concerning the Attanasio situation, it leaves us with  an up in the air feeling.

For sure we can only take one game at a time and at least hoping our home form  is better this season than last...that is what really hurt us. OTBC.