Sign in to follow this  
Norfolk  Dan

The Beeb

Just cancelled my TV licence. I'm done with funding this freak show. 

Now need to work out how to block BBC from my internet connection..

Where do you guys get your sports updates from ? 

I think you should direct your anger at the man responsible. He could and should have stood up and admitted to being the accused to save several thoroughly decent people of having to defend their names. 

• Like 2

Never a good time ever for this but it really is terrible timing for the BBC, they have their public annual report tomorrow where no doubt questions will be asked and they were on the verge of announcing TV licence cost increasing.

Edited by Michael Starr

10 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

When you cancel do you get a refund?

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

When you cancel do you get a refund?

More to the point, why hasn't the club made an announcement about our King's Lynn refunds? 

If you ever watched the series W1A with Hugh Bonneville, you will know why the BBC can get itself into such a state. It wasn't that long ago that it was renowned as the best public broadcaster. Now its forever embroiled in some sort of controversy.

There was many a time that I would stick up for the BBC but I can't be arsed anymore. It's a shame what a few idiots at the top have done to it, but it is in a mess. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Are you going to stop using the NHS because Jimmy Saville abused people in an NHS hospital? Or Harold Shipman was a GP?

Maybe stop and think for a minute. If you were in charge at the BBC would things be different? Who’s telling you all these terrible things about the BBC? Do they just possibly have a vested interest, and how clean are their hands?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Are you going to stop using the NHS because Jimmy Saville abused people in an NHS hospital? Or Harold Shipman was a GP?

Maybe stop and think for a minute. If you were in charge at the BBC would things be different? Who’s telling you all these terrible things about the BBC? Do they just possibly have a vested interest, and how clean are their hands?

The BBC has become an unwanted company of intrigue and suspicion. I believe part of that is because it has tried to become too squeaky clean and then you become sterile and uninteresting. Too much is now managed with blinkers to what is really happening outside of its boardrooms and creative minds.

It had always strived to be progressive as well as appealing and didn't mind controversy about its content. Its work in the 60s and 70s was outstanding and some of the works absolutely hard hitting as well as entertaining. From plays to documentaries, they gave us greater scope than the ITV maxim of quiz show after quiz show.

But now, in their efforts to maximise diversity and correctness, they are producing a real mish mash of minutae as well as reverting to quizzes and soaps. BBC Three is a joke and Two and Four have lost that cutting edge. 

There is a real need for a return of old style. Don't try and appease. It only alienates yet more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

It's a question of funding. 

I pay my money which in turn is funding this freak show. So I take my own stand, under my own values. 

They are not getting my cash anymore to in any way carry on this freak show.

If I was the BBC controller would it be any different,yes it would be different, but then I would be sacked after a day because I would not be towing the line.

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Judging by Rachel Johnson's comments about Murdoch and the BBC I think we know what the end game is here.

Rupert Murdoch has ruined this country.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Just some knowledge(re 2021) which I believe is true, but don't quote me.

1)You now cannot watch any live TV or use iplayer in any way(Legally). On demand like netflix is ok. No idea if this applies to radio.

2)It's whether you have a device capable of receiving live broadcasts/feeds that determines you need a license not for example you've blocked it(or say got no Aieral in the house)

3)You generally just go online and fill out some form along the lines of "I don't need a TV license" to reduce chance of inspections or least to say you're complying with the rules.

4)Regards how they enforce I've no idea how they actually decide how to fine you, but with the inspectors/detectors they have no right to entry your property nor insist you open the door to them. Just say they cannot come in and don't have to answer any questions. If they insist or claim they have authority to enter ignore them it's not a legal authority more like the BBC authorises them. No idea should they decide to return with the police though or take a photo through a window, but in general I think you should not have a problem.

Edited by KiwiScot

Not had a licence for years as I've never had a television, but agree with @Worthy Nigelton here. Think it's fairly obvious that many of the critics of the BBC are just annoyed at the way it is financed instead of being on the free market, and have vested interests in attacking it.

Favoured tactic of the pig-****ing Oompa-Loompa Boris Johnson that we had in charge. I guess it's an attempt at revenge at Lineker showing up Braverman as being incompetent.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not had a licence for years as I've never had a television, but agree with @Worthy Nigelton here. Think it's fairly obvious that many of the critics of the BBC are just annoyed at the way it is financed instead of being on the free market, and have vested interests in attacking it.

Favoured tactic of the pig-****ing Oompa-Loompa Boris Johnson that we had in charge. I guess it's an attempt at revenge at Lineker showing up Braverman as being incompetent.

TBF a stick would show Braverman up as incompetent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

TBF a stick would show Braverman up as incompetent.

Agree, but Lineker did it for far longer. Not difficult to see a potential revenge piece being made in retaliation. We already know that BoJo and cohorts did everything possible to bring the BEEB to heel re. threatening how it is financed.

15 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Think it's fairly obvious that many of the critics of the BBC are just annoyed at the way it is financed instead of being on the free market, and have vested interests in attacking it.

Yes the politicians no longer are protecting it(now attacking it) as more join the numbers of people thinking the license fee is wrong. More thinking it's just another subscription to cancel. More visibility of it now for people to get angry about the details of it's running. Fair enough principles really though. I'll miss it.

Edit - Investigations should take place of staff contacting children in a personal capacity for dubious gains.

Edited by KiwiScot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Just some knowledge(re 2021) which I believe is true, but don't quote me.

1)You now cannot watch any live TV or use iplayer in any way(Legally). On demand like netflix is ok. No idea if this applies to radio.

2)It's whether you have a device capable of receiving live broadcasts/feeds that determines you need a license not for example you've blocked it(or say got no Aieral in the house)

3)You generally just go online and fill out some form along the lines of "I don't need a TV license" to reduce chance of inspections or least to say you're complying with the rules.

4)Regards how they enforce I've no idea how they actually decide how to fine you, but with the inspectors/detectors they have no right to entry your property nor insist you open the door to them. Just say they cannot come in and don't have to answer any questions. If they insist or claim they have authority to enter ignore them it's not a legal authority more like the BBC authorises them. No idea should they decide to return with the police though or take a photo through a window, but in general I think you should not have a problem.

This is what I don't understand.

I rarely ever watch my TV to be honest. But why do I have to have a license to watch, say, freeview channels which are nothing to do with the BBC? They aren't funded by the license fee, so why do the BBC feel they can dictate whether I can watch live TV or not?

I actually want to get rid of my license but then there might be a once in a blue moon time when I want to watch something on TV, so it's a grey area, any advice?

I spend a lot of my time listening to BBC radio stations and in that respect the license is value for money. I barely watch any of their tv output mind you.

21 minutes ago, Herman said:

I spend a lot of my time listening to BBC radio stations and in that respect the license is value for money. I barely watch any of their tv output mind you.

This is nearer me Herman.

BBC news (& 24), website and R4 are worthwhile and what public funding should be about. Not prime time entertainment, R1, R2, R3 etc, MOTD. Strictly, daytime TV or even David Attenborough. Leave all that to commercial channels.

Fund it from general taxation not regressive and these days insane license fee.

Edited by Yellow Fever

58 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

This is what I don't understand.

I rarely ever watch my TV to be honest. But why do I have to have a license to watch, say, freeview channels which are nothing to do with the BBC? They aren't funded by the license fee, so why do the BBC feel they can dictate whether I can watch live TV or not?

I actually want to get rid of my license but then there might be a once in a blue moon time when I want to watch something on TV, so it's a grey area, any advice?

Advice? None past what I already posted. As far as I'm aware it's whether the TV you own can get a signal that decides whether they'd fine you for not having a license. So basically having a TV since you'd have to be keeping a broken one around otherwise. How they actually enforce this in reality and how likely to get caught is an unknown to me. I imagine ten of thousands of people UK watch TV without a license or more.

Don't understand it as a license to watch the BBC because it's not. Understand it from it's name. It's a license to own a Television. A Goverment tax where the money goes to the BBC. Started way way back in the early days when all there was to watch was the BBC.

@Norfolk Dan my experience of not owning a TV, and therefore not having a licence, is that you can expect much interest from TV Licensing. 

They'll assume you to be guilty. You can contact them and tell them you don't have a TV, and they might lay off for a few months....but they'll be back 

58 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

@Norfolk Dan my experience of not owning a TV, and therefore not having a licence, is that you can expect much interest from TV Licensing. 

They'll assume you to be guilty. You can contact them and tell them you don't have a TV, and they might lay off for a few months....but they'll be back 

I will keep you updated.... So far. 10 hours and noone is knocking ! 

9 hours ago, Norfolk Dan said:

9 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I think you should direct your anger at the man responsible. He could and should have stood up and admitted to being the accused to save several thoroughly decent people of having to defend their names. 

What’s he done?

22 hours ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Ooopphs, turns out (rather quickly) that you should have cancelled your subscription to The Sun instead, which of course has been a freak show for many years but hopefully will now be going the way of the News of the World - with luck Murdoch & News International are going to be paying compensation and lawyers millions for years to come over this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Be funny if The Sun was the victim of a sting and those piling in on the Beeb are making an equally expensive mistake. Couldn't care less myself but do wonder if in the meantime, behind this F1 deflection, anyone is running the country? 

• Like 2

I'll also add don't open the door to the license inspectors(unless the police are with of course). They are known to be pushy, intrusive and unlikely to be reasonable i.e. get their foot in the door, see any basic evidence of a TV and you're fined.

Big Jinny Yawn. BBC:

'we have discovered another slightly discolored bit of annoying fluff in our very own distinguished propaganda navel and it will take us some time talking about the methods on how to remove it, probably weeks or even month. As yet we can't say what the ire is, but its serious enough to spam out all other news to get to the bottom of this, our very own,  creative fluffing.'

'Once we know what we can't say we know, but the de-fluffers of us most likely know, we will then draw a line under this well managed operation and wait for the next fluff to con bobble you with'. Keep paying your license tax or else we will not be able to get over this at all, as we could not live up to our required champagne habits. Toodle pip.'

On 10/07/2023 at 17:31, Herman said:

We spend £16.99/month on a Spotify family subscription (which is good in itself compared to the spend on physical media that would replace it), so £203.88 a year. A licence fee costs £159 a year, or £13.25. So just for music alone it is good value. Add in speech radio, news, TV, the World Service and so on and it is fantastic value for money.

• Like 2