Sargent has his time to shine as our number one striker playing up top on his own and I would must rather trust him with that role than Idah.. And Barnes to come in late and batter and bruise defenders too

My current hobby horse also.

With whatever funds we accumulate, and it could be more or less than anticipated depending upon what happens in the market re: Aarons and Omo, there would seem to be two necessities added to the squad, imo.

1. We all know what that is .... and it 'aint Sorensen.

2. A decent striker who knows where the net is.

• Like 1

I would imagine the thought process behind signings like Sainz is someone who can play anywhere across the front line, so in a emergency we play them up top instead of the 3 we have. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sargent has his time to shine as our number one striker playing up top on his own and I would must rather trust him with that role than Idah.. And Barnes to come in late and batter and bruise defenders too

So the Sarge picks up a knock game two. Fewer players have received more insults on this forum than Sargent in his first season ('not even a footballer,' 'League One at best' etc. etc.) yet now so much expectation is being put on him for next season. I expect him to do well, but 20 goals for the season is stretching expectations, imo.

I no longer rely on the Idah 'promise' more than just hope (probably in vain.)

Barnes was surely not primarily brought in for his goal-getting and might well star alongside Sargent, or finish alongside him more like.

• Like 1

I'm not certain we need one.

People seem to think we have to replace Pukki with another striker who can score 25-30 a season. We'd actually be better off spreading the goals around the team a bit more. 

I'm of the opinion that Sargent, in the right set up, can hit 20. Sara got 7 last season. What we need is more from our midfielders. Barnes should contribute a few but we need more from Onel, Nunez, McLean etc. Heck our central defenders bunging in more than one goal a season from corners would help.

• Like 7

The first priority should be making sure the team creates enough chances for the strikers to score, if we do that and they aren't scoring then it's something we need to address.

We've got to put trust in Sarge, otherwise what's the point in bringing him in.  Idah is the weak point, I'd agree if the plan was to loan him out and bring in someone from the lower leagues perhaps with a decent scoring record as a wildcard.

Not sure we need another development project on our hand right now, though.

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We simply don’t have the cash for the striker we need. Sarge will do ok if played up front not on the wing- if he gets injured - eek 

I'd be happy for us to take a risk on a promising youngster from the lower divisions, but I couldn't name one.

Perhaps Idah will come good.

Perhaps Tzolis can finally justify the initial hype in a more central role

Perhaps the midfield will chip in more. Sara is the most likely, and now we have Sainz.

But, it was the prolificacy of Pukki and his thirty goal seasons that was the main reason we achieved two emphatic promotions.  

I like a team with a surplus of decent strikers even if the system employs just one to start a game with, but with increasing subs allowed by the season and the fact that we will often need to chase games in a tight league those extra options up-front could be vital. 

Came here expecting a Partridge homage, found the normal tripe moaning about Sarge and Idah.
Figured I would go with the homage anyway......

Alan Partridge Football Commentary on Make a GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The more I think about it, the more I see the Sargent signing as the catalyst for our failure. The problem is that he isn't awful, but he really isn't good enough. If he was a tiny bit worse then we could have simply written him off or shipped him out like Rashica. Because he's showed some ability, and definitely been a willing runner in the failed attempts to instil a new system, we've committed to him when the cold truth is that we need better.

We needed (and now desperately need) someone to replace Pukki. I can't see the players we have scoring anywhere near enough for promotion. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

Sarge and Idah had  their chance to step up to the mark in the Championship last season so why people think they will do it this season is a bit of wishful thinking in my eyes.  Would like us to go for someone like Clarke-Harris from Posh.

13 minutes ago, For the future said:

We will have the cash for a new striker when we sell our best players again 

Yes, why on earth would a player want to double or treble his wages ? What incentive is a healthy signing on fee, or the chance to play at a higher level ? We must recognise that no player wants to leave Carrow Road. They are forced out by our greedy owners selling them off against their wishes. We would see more top class players coming through our youth system if they knew we would block their progress to a bigger club.

Or, in the real world. Players leave because they want to, NOT because we sell them

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

So the Sarge picks up a knock game two. Fewer players have received more insults on this forum than Sargent in his first season ('not even a footballer,' 'League One at best' etc. etc.) yet now so much expectation is being put on him for next season. I expect him to do well, but 20 goals for the season is stretching expectations, imo.

I no longer rely on the Idah 'promise' more than just hope (probably in vain.)

Barnes was surely not primarily brought in for his goal-getting and might well star alongside Sargent, or finish alongside him more like.

I hear what you’re saying and agree in part. However, if I’m recalling correctly, Sargent did well in front of goal at the beginning of last season, before the World Cup, while he was up top on his own. Then, when Pukki returned to the team, his goals diminished.

So I am optimistic. But the depth, quality and/or reliability of the remaining stikers is not inspiring to me.

Edited by CirclePoint

6 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

I hear what you’re saying and agree in part. However, if I’m recalling correctly, Sargent did well in front of goal at the beginning of last season, before the World Cup, while he was up top on his own. Then, when Pukki returned to the team, his goals diminished.

So I am optimistic. But the depth, quality and/or reliability of the remaining stikers is not inspiring to me.

He's not a winger and never will be. The fact he kept getting thrown on the wing by both Smith and Wagner was bizzare and honestly rather concerning.

10 minutes ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

Sarge and Idah had  their chance to step up to the mark in the Championship last season so why people think they will do it this season is a bit of wishful thinking in my eyes.  Would like us to go for someone like Clarke-Harris from Posh.

Sargent scored 13 playing mostly on the right side. He hardly let us down. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really think that a lot of people here just turn on the TV watch football and are like

"That stiker didnt score, so hes crap"
"That midfielder didnt hit a 40 yard screamer hes crap"
"How did that 6'2 defender not defend the header from the 6'6 striker hes crap"

Like please take offence but the majority of y'all are morons go back to playing Fifa and thinking you understand anything about football its embarrassing. 

Sargent when played as a striker was / is extremely effective. While people fap madly and cry over Pukki you forget Sarge was our top goal scorer and was the one who scored the goals during the somewhat controversial Dean Smith winning streak at the start of the season. He tracks back and has shadows of Grant Holt in his playing style. Ok, sure his first touch can be hit and miss but hes a top class striker who will serve us well next season. 

Idah, sure an unpolished diamond or not good enough? Again I will point you toward Carlton Morris, not good enough when younger but obviously good enough now. Idah has had his share of injuries so the jury is out.

Kamara, not seen a lot of him but the fact that money ball experts Brentford have an eye on him tell you that statistically he is sound. Will he step up next year? Who knows. 

Barnes, the new Rhodes, Wilbrahamovich, Hugill , certainly comes with some pedigree time will tell and expect him to play back up. 

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Ok, sure his first touch can be hit and miss but hes a top class striker who will serve us well next season. 

Ok, apart from his first touch, his finishing and his passing, he's a top class striker... 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Ok, apart from his first touch, his finishing and his passing, he's a top class striker... 

He's actually a pretty good finisher. I think he's underrated for it and I also think some fans haven't shaken off the Brighton Prem open goal miss. 

He scored 13 goals last season despite 40% of his match-time not being up-front, and also with the disruption and fitness / injuries associated with World Cup.

He also scored those 13 goals from an xG of 10.5 - so it's not like he's missing loads of sitters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Petriix said:

His ability to finish is actually pretty good, sorry to upturn your narrative. 
Signing Sargent was the catalyst for our failure, stupid idiot 😄😄😄

Edited by Nexus_Canary

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He's actually a pretty good finisher. I think he's underrated for it and I also think some fans haven't shaken off the Brighton Prem open goal miss. 

He scored 13 goals last season despite 40% of his match-time not being up-front, and also with the disruption and fitness / injuries associated with World Cup.

He also scored those 13 goals from an xG of 10.5 - so it's not like he's missing loads of sitters.

The Sarge is ok. and a decent enough striker for any team in the Championship. His control is better than most give him credit for because it is not a close control and often the opposite, but he knows what he is doing and what it is leading to. He is also a handful up front.

When he was getting all that stick in his first season I predicted that he would become a fan's favourite in the Championship. It seems to have happened.

That's not the point though. If he gets an injury we will be bereft of a genuine goal-getter. Barnes has had a very decent scoring record at Burnley, but over the years (nine of them) not recently. His game had changed somewhat and that's why he was acquired by City.

It is not Adam Idah bashing to have doubts about a striker who has scored six goals in seventy-one outings for the club with three of those coming a lesser team in a less important cup fixture (??) It is reasonable doubt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

Clarke-Harris got 12 his last Championship season. Sargent got 13, despite spending half his season on the wing. Slightly odd that you think he's an upgrade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He's not a winger and never will be. The fact he kept getting thrown on the wing by both Smith and Wagner was bizzare and honestly rather concerning.

Agreed. Pukki was the guy and everyone else had to play around him. Now it’s Sarge’s opportunity to become the guy. He’s had plenty of time to learn from one of the best.

• Like 1

The team was initially built around Pukki but as we ran out of players who hit the channel balls he likes, he struggled more and more. Sargent still scored 13 despite being on the wing.

Barnes is clearly a signing with the aim to get the rest of the team behind him into the mixer and make everyone more dangerous when we go onto the attack. He's something of a Pukki replacement, but if anything I would say he's just as much a Stiepermann replacement in terms of getting us up the field and generally being a complete headache for opposition defensive lines. Difference is, Stiepi was a nuisance as he was as unorthodox a number ten as they came. Barnes is much more "up and at them" and will physically make a total nuisance of himself. Not to mention, he's physically stronger/better in the air than Stiepi ever was so the ball is more likely to stick up top. That also eases pressure on the midfield.

Pukki is the emblem of how we used to attack. Last season made it clear that both we and Pukki were moving away from each other. Now it's Sargent's time. He's not as clinical in front of goal as Pukki was at his peak (although last season he certainly missed a few) but he'll always work hard and put himself about to get chances.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Pukki is the emblem of how we used to attack. Last season made it clear that both we and Pukki were moving away from each other. Now it's Sargent's time. He's not as clinical in front of goal as Pukki was at his peak (although last season he certainly missed a few) but he'll always work hard and put himself about to get chances.

Yeh nice post, in fairness I cant think of a more clinical striker ever on our books than Pukki?

I think we have had technically better ones, but not clinically better ones.