Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Interesting nugget from Webber.

Webber appeared on a free webinar about data in football with a few other well known football figures and apparently dropped this nugget...

Obviously doesn't take a genius to work out who this is about...

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Or you could just scroll down and he says who it's about

Don't be salty just because you didn't get to start the thread...

• Haha 5

Said before, Placheta's one of those where he has to keep it very simple as he seems to get caught in several minds. He really struggled against two very deep-lying banks of four in Farke's second Championship-winning season as he's not a twisty, tricky dribbler in tight spaces like Hernandez - and trying to hit Pukki with a cross is like trying to hit Vanessa Feltz's G-spot.

I still think his speed/presence could be very useful in a high-pressing team provided the rest of the attacking unit goes up with him to cut out simple out-balls. If he turns it over or is up in the attack that turns it over, he'd be up against a more disorganised defence, which in theory should make it much easier for him to get the right pass or indeed get inside and shoot as he should be able to bomb on into space.

It's telling that Webber called it a mistake though.

Edited by TheGunnShow

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Said before, Placheta's one of those where he has to keep it very simple as he seems to get caught in several minds. He really struggled against two very deep-lying banks of four in Farke's second Championship-winning season as he's not a twisty, tricky dribbler in tight spaces like Hernandez - and trying to hit Pukki with a cross is like trying to hit Vanessa Feltz's G-spot.

I still think his speed/presence could be very useful in a high-pressing team provided the rest of the attacking unit goes up with him to cut out simple out-balls. If he turns it over or is up in the attack that turns it over, he'd be up against a more disorganised defence, which in theory should make it much easier for him to get the right pass or indeed get inside and shoot as he should be able to bomb on into space.

Look me in the eye and tell me you aren’t related to Placheta.

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I think if the guys who work with him day in day out are saying he can't take on information or learn then I think it's time to let it go.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I think if the guys who work with him day in day out are saying he can't take on information or learn then I think it's time to let it go.

Yeah, if he can't take on basic information how on earth can he be successful in any modern team? Under Wagner if we are going to high press it needs to be measured and intelligent and at the right time based on the right triggers.

He's got a year left on his contract. Would imagine we'll just loan him back to a Polish club and recoup whatever we can in wages, and then let him leave on a free next summer. Obviously if anyone actually wants to sign him and we can broker a deal then great, but I'd say that's relatively unlikely.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Data can be a starting point, but surely follow it up by finding out a bit more?

Well of course they do, they then scout and talk with the players and agents.  It's only when you get someone in from a foreign country that you learn how well they can adapt to the language, lifestyle and style of coaching.

I'd imagine this is more about language barrier than Placheta being so tactically inept that he can't understand instructions. 

Hence why we ensured that Sara and Nunez had a translator by their side through training and matchday.  I'd imagine that's the point being made during the webinar, and an example of the lessons learnt, and perhaps Sara and his dog is another lesson learnt for someone we bring in future to make sure they feel as settled as possible.

Edited by Google Bot

Hate to be a smart4rse , but other than running in straight lines I couldn’t see any talent at any point . In fact if it wasn’t for line on the grass he would still be running . 

Hopeless. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Obviously if anyone actually wants to sign him and we can broker a deal then great, but I'd say that's relatively unlikely.

Someone coming in for him is as “relatively unlikely” as me and Beyoncé having a burger  in the Murderers  next Friday.  

It should have been a red flag when Placheta was asked to take a seat at the interview and promptly left the room with it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Why on earth would anyone employ someone based purely on data?

Data can be a starting point, but surely follow it up by finding out a bit more?

All sounds a bit naive.

Wasn't that how we identified Buendia? There's always an inherint risk in signing new players in that their mentality doesn't quite match physical attributes. Buendia was a bit rough around the edges mentally at times but the data led us to an incredible signing.

1 minute ago, Fuzzar said:

It should have been a red flag when Placheta was asked to take a seat at the interview and promptly left the room with it. 

Made worse that he was asked to strip to the waist that morning by the club doctor.

I could have told you it was Placheta before the price and contract length were mentioned. Bloke has never looked like a footballer, just a really lanky sprinter that can’t find a way to use that pace during an actual football match.

He’ll be released for free at the end of his contract having accomplished nothing in his time here. I could have told you that after the first 6 months. Those who claim he’ll “come good” are just kidding themselves.

9 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Made worse that he was asked to strip to the waist that morning by the club doctor.

You mean he went from the shoes up?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Hate to be a smart4rse , but other than running in straight lines I couldn’t see any talent at any point . In fact if it wasn’t for line on the grass he would still be running . 

Hopeless. 

See, who says he can’t take on information or learn anything?

Webber out! at a time of his choosing

Which actor does Webber think is going to play him in the movie he thinks is going to be made about him?

Edited by The Real Buh

57 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I'd imagine this is more about language barrier than Placheta being so tactically inept that he can't understand instructions. 

Not likely. The lad was kind enough to turn up on a Saturday evening to a grassroots girls football club presentation evening in Norwich a couple of months ago. His English is fine.

He's either a bit dense or Webber is a massive bullsh*tter.

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Not likely. The lad was kind enough to turn up on a Saturday evening to a grassroots girls football club presentation evening in Norwich a couple of months ago. His English is fine.

Webber is talking about when he arrived, not several years later.

Honestly, I do wonder about people who post on here sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Oh great, in that case he'll be amazing for us this season then what with his amazing physical data and the fact that it was only his inability to take on information that was holding him back.

Christ on a bike. Maybe stop wondering and start thinking?

Edited by canarydan23

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Sometimes?

18 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Which actor does Webber think is going to play him in the movie he thinks is going to be made about him?

ncfc_Bean.thumb.jpg.d1d948a28644eee82513d1fa5986de95.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Oh great, in that case he'll be amazing for us this season then what with his amazing physical data and the fact that it was only his inability to take on information that was holding him back.

Hopefully he's adapted better now and the injury isn't a problem, yes.  I doubt he'll be here though

28 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I could have told you it was Placheta before the price and contract length were mentioned. 

Yeah, same. As soon as I read it, I instantly thought it was him. 

He actually scored quite a few goals the season before we signed him, so it doesn't say much for the standard of the league...

Just now, Google Bot said:

Hopefully he's adapted better now and the injury isn't a problem, yes.  I doubt he'll be here though

Why not though? With all the physical data looking so awesome and him now speaking great English? Why wouldn't he be here?

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Why not though? With all the physical data looking so awesome and him now speaking great English? Why wouldn't he be here?

I think we'll want to invest into other areas of the pitch and out wide we have Tzolis, Rowe, Onel, Mumba - PP being an international player is one of the few we could get money for.

Hope he stays as I think there's a very good player in there, but I just can't see us going with 5-6 wide men this season, and I don't think he's aggressive enough to suit Wagners style either.