Midlands Yellow

Immediate Reaction To Stu Leaving

13 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

High 5 a total stranger as you browsed around Norwich market. 

Swore like a trooper at your smartphone screen.

Shrugged shoulders as you couldn’t give a sh1t. 

Shed tears of sorrow/joy. 

My immediate reaction on seeing this is why does Cambridge get all the abuse for starting unnecessary threads?

EDIT: no idea why that image is there, but not completely inappropriate.

Edited by Nuff Said

If he thinks he's gone as far as he can with us, I say fair play to him. The problem with the role of sporting director is that the most visible part of the job where they are going to be judged is on the pitch, yet arguably the most important is ensuring that the facilities/personnel are in place to consistently provide good performance on the pitch. And we as fans don't experience much of the latter by definition.

By all accounts, the facilities have been greatly improved and are a reason for us to get players, as opposed to when Sebastien Haller allegedly saw the old facilities and noped it. We've remembered what it's like to let youngsters have a shot once again, particularly under Farke. If anything, we pushed this a little too far and neglected the spine of the team in places, an issue that appears to be a subject of focus in this transfer window with the three acquisitions so far. And he'll always have immense credit for two Championship wins with Farke as his man, the first of them possibly the most beautifully unexpected triumph in our recent history. Not to mention he also financially got us through a shocker of a pandemic. 

Webber famously said he sent Farke into battle without a gun. Without external investment, he was sent into battle without one. I don't think he's done badly under the circumstances, but the time seems right, and if he thinks that way, double it.

I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavours.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Non plussed really. He's done some really great things for the club and really taken us forward, but ultimately he still failed to establish us in the PL no different to his tenure at Huddersfield. 

I think we'll miss his business ability, but he's no people person and often comes across as a rather large phallus. 

I hope we can bring in someone else who's good at both sides that can continue to drive us forward whilst improving the atmosphere, relationship and ultimately supporter engagement between the club and fans. 

Ultimately, his report card will be graded lower than McNally's, whose record Webber was ironically only too pleased to criticise.

All those saying think where we would be if he hadn’t been appointed have they got a crystal ball? Maybe he was the best out there but maybe not, there could well have been someone out there who would have achieved what we wanted, to actually stay in the EPL. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

My immediate reaction on seeing this is why does Cambridge get all the abuse for starting unnecessary threads?

EDIT: no idea why that image is there, but not completely inappropriate.

Odd how I'm the only one who does to be fair..

14 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

14 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Be careful what you wish for. 

44 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

All those saying think where we would be if he hadn’t been appointed have they got a crystal ball? Maybe he was the best out there but maybe not, there could well have been someone out there who would have achieved what we wanted, to actually stay in the EPL. 

Or not.

40 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Odd how I'm the only one who does to be fair..

“To be fair”, it’s not that odd. 

Concerned at the moment, it all depends on who we bring in to replace him. His recruitment in the Championship has been good overall with our budget and he's only just brought Wagner in so I thought he'd give that project more time. 

While he made massive mistakes in the transfer market at PL level he was working within an extremely tight budget and had to find players that Farke would actually play so was limited in that regard. He had to sign PL quality players for under 10m within a tight wage structure with heavy relegation wage drop clauses and because Farke was the manager had to have decent technical ability, that's a tough ask. 

The next person might be a genius, who knows, it's more likely though that they'll be at a similar level or worse though and most of the things fans are unhappy about stem from the fact that we're self funded and so long as that remains the case I don't see us becoming massively better any time soon. 

My personal hope this summer was that he'd stay but overhaul the recruitment team and that Attanasio would get more involved and hopefully  give us a little bit more of a budget to work with, that hasn't happened though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

Probably because they helped save the club from going bust, and we’ve spent half of the last 12 seasons in the top flight? 

And everyone has to be grateful still and reminded of it constantly. You do realise they’ve had plenty back? I think their shares are worth a few quid too. 

5 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Long overdue imo. One of the worst communicators I have ever witnessed in a senior position at any club.

OTBC

Yep, delighted that it has finally happened but it has come far, far too late.

If only he had done the decent thing and resigned when he realised that he had blown £60m on players who hadn't a hope in hell of keeping us in the Premiership (or getting us promoted back out of the Championship for that matter) instead of making Farke the scapegoat..............

7 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

The fans may have stood up for themselves but the club didn’t.

He resigned and wasn’t sacked.

Maybe he jumped before being pushed. Don't think the board was too happy with how he conducted the recent interviews. Obviously Leeds was a factor in Stew resigning but I think the writing was on the wall to some extent since he replaced Farke for Dean Smith.

The interviews looks so bizarre based on the timing of his resignation ?

Thankful for what he’s done but as with the ownership it’s time for change .

My immediate reaction having read that he told D&M back in March that he was leaving was why did he give those interviews just a few short weeks ago where he had a pop about the perceived drunk divorcees in the Snakepit and the remarks about ladies football. Totally not needed as he knew he was off and just smacks of being a Richard.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

My immediate reaction having read that he told D&M back in March that he was leaving was why did he give those interviews just a few short weeks ago where he had a pop about the perceived drunk divorcees in the Snakepit and the remarks about ladies football. Totally not needed as he knew he was off and just smacks of being a Richard.

I shall be reporting you for discrimination.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Because he is a dodgy chancer that NCFC are well rid of. 

Not bothered one bit about this arrogant chancer with no people skills leaving. I AM concerned that he is still in place with all the attendant worries of his ability and commitment to the position and to the Club. Plus how can his wife remain in post with all the conflicts of interest that must be evident ? This really does have the stench of amateurism at Board level.Having announced he was leaving he should have been put on gardening leave , along with his wife, until his notice period has run next March .

14 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Ultimately, his report card will be graded lower than McNally's, whose record Webber was ironically only too pleased to criticise.

Rubbish. The club's finances are healthier and its infrastructure far better than when McNally left. The only slight extra credit McNally gets is one survival season, but survival was easier back then.

• Like 1

My immediate reaction was, why on earth wasn't he let go, the instant he resigned? It seems very odd that he is still apparently making very important transfer decisions for a manager who he appointed, who also now will be on borrowed time. This could backfire massively if things don't go well quickly for Wagner next season.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Rubbish. The club's finances are healthier and its infrastructure far better than when McNally left. The only slight extra credit McNally gets is one survival season, but survival was easier back then.

Two survival seasons, which were also our second and third highest positions in the pyramid in 30 years. The finances were not in as rude health, but the squad had more than enough valuable assets to in it to help us out of that hole.

We were in League One when he took over, and whilst we were staring at relegation, were in the EPL when he left.

If you weren't so stupid, you'd realise it isn't even close.

2 hours ago, OnDaBall said:

My immediate reaction was, why on earth wasn't he let go, the instant he resigned? It seems very odd that he is still apparently making very important transfer decisions for a manager who he appointed, who also now will be on borrowed time. This could backfire massively if things don't go well quickly for Wagner next season.

I agree completely. He is being allowed to make decisions about the players we recruit, with all the repercussions this has for future style of play. The hands of any incoming SD will be firmly tied, so we're unlikely to get anyone but a yes man. It's amateur on the part of the club, and arrogant and presumptuous on the part of Webber. It's not your toy any more, Stuart - just leave.