Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Ivan Toney, what a proper plum

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

A single player cannot fix a match. They might be able to influence it but even then it's tenuous.

Not sure that is true of goalkeepers. And there have been some suspicions in the past on those lines.

Edited by PurpleCanary

Is PUPpower match fixing?

Edited by nutty nigel
💪🏿💪💪🏿💪💪🏿💪🙃🙃🙃
  • Haha 1

He knows the rules. Yet he still bet on football despite there being numerous other things to gamble on. 

He bet on games involving his own team. Fans of those clubs must be glad to be rid of him. He's match fixing scum.  What an embarrassment.

I can't see why the ban was more lenient because he admitted he had an addiction. If that's still the case he needs to get professional help before he has anything at all to do with football again. 

If he can prove that between now and the end of next season he's not made a single bet then he can start preseason. Not before.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Not while he was playing for them though- so he couldn't have any influence over the result. 

Obviously against the rules and he's an idiot for doing it but it isn't close to anything that could be considered match fixing. 

Suggestion was that he may be aware of injuries etc

The commission looking into this cleared him of all match fixing allegations.

He is not the first nor will be the last to get addicted to gambling and is getting professional help. An 8 month ban is a long time away from your club and colleagues, so a fitting punishment.

I wish him well...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Alfie54 said:

Suggestion was that he may be aware of injuries etc

Yeah he clearly has insider knowledge that he can use to his advantage, hence why betting on your own team is a big no-no. I believe he was also letting his mates know if he was starting games well ahead of time so they could on him to score at longer odds.

But when you see 'bet on his own team to lose' as lots of these headlines are going with it does suggest match fixing which clearly isn't the case here. 

6 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I'm definitely still more on the 'plum' side than 'poor chap' side

Rules are very clear and he's been a footballer for over a decade.

Yes because addicts follow rules, don't they?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Raptor said:

He knows the rules. Yet he still bet on football despite there being numerous other things to gamble on. 

He bet on games involving his own team. Fans of those clubs must be glad to be rid of him. He's match fixing scum.  What an embarrassment.

I can't see why the ban was more lenient because he admitted he had an addiction. If that's still the case he needs to get professional help before he has anything at all to do with football again. 

If he can prove that between now and the end of next season he's not made a single bet then he can start preseason. Not before.

A post less lacking in compassion and empathy you are unlikely to ever see, even from the absolute wagamuffins on this forum.

26 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

My post was for a lack of sympathy for the level of punishment. I'm intimately aware of the destructive nature of addictions.

As others have said, there's plenty of things to bet on. The one rule is 'if you are a footballer, don't bet on football' which seems reasonable to me. 

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Which addicts? And not following them is OK then?

5 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Not sure that is true of goalkeepers. And there have been some suspicions in the past on those lines.

As here with Dave Beasant who has never had any connection to John Fashanu and his 'questionable' stuff, no siree

Chelsea two up at half time. I wonder what odds you would have got on City winning from there ?

16 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

A single player cannot fix a match. They might be able to influence it but even then it's tenuous.

Hans Seger did quite a good job of it. Allegedly. 

11 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

My post was for a lack of sympathy for the level of punishment. I'm intimately aware of the destructive nature of addictions.

As others have said, there's plenty of things to bet on. The one rule is 'if you are a footballer, don't bet on football' which seems reasonable to me. 

It's like you're telling a heroin addict to take cocaine instead. 

It's not reasonable, sensible, compassionate or realistic whatsoever.

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 1

It's also like being a heroin addict whose job requires them to be surrounded by adverts for heroin in every place they look. Betting is a blight on the game and I hope betting advertising is banned as soon as possible. 

• Like 1

On 26/05/2023 at 20:21, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seems he has decided to enter his Cantwell phase..

x48jqef7982b1.jpg

Not really cryptic though is it?

I’d hate for my only source of attention to be reposting guff on a forum. Each to their own. 

On 26/05/2023 at 11:57, cambridgeshire canary said:

OK so we all know about his ban and the gambling blah blah...

But whats come out today is that he bet on the team he plays for to lose on 13 occasions.

Dear oh dear🤣

Those were almost all bets against Newcastle when he was on loan elsewhere. He never bet against a team he was playing for and in the matchday squad. Most of his bets in games he was involved in were on him to score and the others were on the team to win. He didn’t bet on any Brentford games while at the club. Section 8 of the report sets it out clearly. Still all bad and wrong but worth some accuracy  the-fa-v-ivan-toney---23-may-2023.ashx

Given the FA have came out and said this isn’t a case of match fixing / Toney didn’t or couldn’t have had any influence over the games he bet on, other than betting on himself to score which you can’t exactly ‘fix’ in a game, this OP is very misleading and you can immediately see the impact it has on responses for posters who didn’t realise the full context.

The ban is fine, but I don’t understand the extent of which he’s banned from football ‘activities’. I get not being allowed to play competitively, but seems like he’s not even allowed to train? Really bizarre and OTT

• Like 1